By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

You did the right thing, your friends are being grossly unfair

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *lenderfoxMan
over a year ago

Leeds

Nope, why should you be put in that position

The pair of them need to decide whether they want each other by the sounds of it

over a year ago

You did the right thing

over a year ago

Jeez, I'll wait for the movie!

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Sounds like they put you in a very unfair and awkward position.

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

You're not an arsehole. Your friends are acting like children & being very unfair to you.

The problem is, how does this end?

I hope you're ok,OP. Xx

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So two of my friends have been in an on-off relationship since uni. I was good friends with person A before I met person B through him and we became good friends too.

Now fast forward almost 6 years and, while I'm still friends with both of them, every time they break up they each tell me negative stuff about the other which always made me uncomfortable. At first I was supportive but then I just started being honest and telling them both that they just don't belong together, but obviously they never listen to me and just keep getting back together.

Now, over this past year B has been has an absolute godsend for me. He's helped me with countless personal problems and has been my rock throughout my weight loss and we've actually grown super close as a result. A, meanwhile, has turned really bitter over the past few years. He's made new friends that are just really shitty people and his morals have absolutely gone out the window. He's cheated on B countless times and just generally treated him like shit. We've also had some quite bad arguments and gone through periods of not speaking, but always end up reconciling because when things are good they're really good and we genuinely do love each other.

Now, last weekend me and A went out clubbing with some other friends. A told me that he and B had been broken up for about a month, and ended up bringing another guy home - he told me they didn't have sex but they did do everything but. That was all well and good, but today B messaged me asking how our night out was. I told him I was surprised he knew about it, as I didn't think he and A were still on speaking terms. That made B suspicious (ie since A told me they'd broken up that must have meant he was seeing other people) and immediately started asking me whether he'd hooked up with anyone. Before answering I phoned A to give him a heads up and he asked me to lie. I told him I wasn't willing to lie to B and he said "alright just tell him" and hung up. I didn't outright tell B he'd hooked up, I just said "he didn't have sex with anyone" but obviously he drew his own conclusions - which he would have done anyway had I just said to leave me out of it.

A is now pissed with me and B is obviously upset. I'm annoyed with both of them that I've a) been expected to lie and b) been expected to rat out my friend. And I also don't get how I've suddenly been put in the middle of it.

Am I the ass hole?! Should I have lied?? Or did I do the right thing?

*** sorry re-posting as I needed to edit something.

over a year ago

You still did the right thing

over a year ago

Sweetie you aren’t the arsehole… I’m sorry but these two seem so complicated… like, A should have not cheated if he cared about B. And certainly you don’t have to feel bad for their bad decisions…

I swear I can’t deal with people like that who keep going back and forth even tho they basically just bring each other and everyone around them down along with them

Be kind to yourself and maybe try and step back a little xxx it’s not worth your mental health

By *urvyBi-84Man
over a year ago

Lancs

I don’t think you’re the arsehole at all. A has put you in a really difficult position. By the sounds of it they’ve lied to you about their relationship with B, and then they’ve asked you to lie to B to cover for their lies to B. That isn’t fair to you or to B. If it were me I would probably have done the same as you.

over a year ago

Wow sounds like a lot of drama!

Edit: JK must have swooped in v quickly to buy up the rights to this tale has now been redacted

over a year ago

No you’re not, and they put you in an impossible position. They need to be honest and sort out their relationship themselves x

over a year ago

And no. Not an asshole at all. They’ve put you in an awkward spot and you’ve tried best to be honest without causing harm. Drama’s on them not you.

over a year ago

"Jeez, I'll wait for the movie! "

Until it comes on DVD!

over a year ago

Too much D! (drama)

And lack of respect from both of them putting You in the middle of it.

I would be stepping away, briskly.

over a year ago

Definitely not I would tell them you want to remain friends but no longer want to be put in the middle off things

over a year ago

Thank you for reassuring me everybody

I've spoken to B and he has told me this is the last straw but... We shall see.

over a year ago

"Too much D! (drama)

I would be stepping away, briskly."

But I love them both so much

over a year ago

"Too much D! (drama)

But I love them both so much "

Then you need to clarify boundaries, of what is acceotable and not xx

over a year ago

I had this with two gay friends

One used to disappear for whole weekends

He used to blame the others gambling addiction

They both got told to sort themselves out and I'd remain a friend to both, but I wasn't willing to play Diplomat

over a year ago

You did the right thing for sure. I'm positive that it will all calm down and you'll be back on good terms with them both soon. But I do think you need to have a serious chat and let them know it's not OK to drag you into their problems and then take out their feelings on you. You're being put in the middle and it's not OK. It's not your fault.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Too much D! (drama)

But I love them both so much "

I hear you, but would you treat someone the way they treat you? What would you tell one of them if they had 2 friends who treated them the way they do you?

By *ettaManMan
over a year ago

Kerry and Dublin

Starting a thread and then deleting the OP without a replacement is a bit of an asshole thing to do

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Starting a thread and then deleting the OP without a replacement is a bit of an asshole thing to do "

Guess you didn't see post number 9 then?

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

My view is that they both should have just spoken to each other and been honest and you shouldn't have had to say anything because it's not about you and you have done nothing wrong

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Going purely on what you have told us, I would say you are not an arsehole OP.

I would also say they both need to grow up.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Group chat and tell them both you don't want to be stuck in the middle of their BS. If they value your friendship they need to leave you out of it.

By *ettaManMan
over a year ago

Kerry and Dublin

"

Guess you didn't see post number 9 then? "

That's even worse!

over a year ago

Update on this:

I hadn't spoken to A since this whole thing happened to give him some time to stew. He messaged me out the blue last night to tell me he never wants to hear from me again and I'm a negative person who ruins everything around me.

So somehow a night out has ended in me losing my best friend of almost 10 years yayyy, life is great...

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

"Update on this:

I hadn't spoken to A since this whole thing happened to give him some time to stew. He messaged me out the blue last night to tell me he never wants to hear from me again and I'm a negative person who ruins everything around me.

So somehow a night out has ended in me losing my best friend of almost 10 years yayyy, life is great... "

sorry to hear this

Sometimes life isn't worth the dramas...as one door closes another opens and all that

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

Their circus, their monkeys, maybe time to put some boundaries up with both of them, as they keep putting their friend, (you) in a shitty position.

You deserve better.

By *appytrailmanMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Sorry you've lost one of your best friends over this, an awful situation to be put in the middle of, also it seems like they learnt on you a lot because they have such a toxic relationship where they are together for convenience and continuity now (I may be wrong and sorry if I am) which is not fair on you, I would say you are 100% not the arsehole in this situation at all.

By *andsome HandMan
over a year ago

roundabout

You are in no way the arsehole

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

No one is an arsehole.

Take control.

Tell them you WONT be a go-between.

Then make a firm decision to STOP being part of their drama.

Why give them advice when they ( from the little i've read ) are pretty histrionic and will continue this pattern.

Leave them to it. You don't have to stop being friends. Just stop giving advice. A shoulder to cry on maybe but keep your advice - they don't want it or from their CHOSEN way of behaving they don't need it.

Save your energy.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Their circus, their monkeys, maybe time to put some boundaries up with both of them, as they keep putting their friend, (you) in a shitty position.

You deserve better. "

Agreed except she puts herself in the shitty position.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Update on this:

So somehow a night out has ended in me losing my best friend of almost 10 years yayyy, life is great... "

Ooops...... Hope things go the way that's best for all.

Post new Message to Thread