Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Health Anxiety

Jump to newest

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

Hello!

I was just wondering if anybody else suffers from this? I’ve always been a bit prone to worrying about my health but since my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s five years ago, it’s become a real issue for me. It’s usually something neurological and degenerative (MS/MND) that worries me the most (although I’ve also had panics about my heart) and when the thought gets hold I drive myself mad. I’m having a bit of a rough week with it so just thought I’d see if there are any fellow sufferers on the forum x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *1c4yMan
over a year ago

stourbridge

I used to be like this. Worse at night when can't sleep and mind just wonders into thinking something is wrong with me and no one to talk to as it's really late. I don't get it very often now thankfully not sure how I get through it I guess I just try to enjoy life more and try and think positive. Hope you get through it too.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

I was the same but the opposite now. Keep yourself occupied to keep worry at bay. Or just talk regular to your doctor. X

By *oliath86Man
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

I did for quite a while, my dad had a heart attack where he literally dropped dead in the street, luckily a lady that was there knew him and gave cpr and saved him. I was very overweight at the time and it made me nervous almost to the point of panic attacks that it could happen to me. Positive side of it is that it’s changed my life in-terms of health and fitness etc. Life is tough sometimes but I believe you can always find a positive

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Hello!

I was just wondering if anybody else suffers from this? I’ve always been a bit prone to worrying about my health but since my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s five years ago, it’s become a real issue for me. It’s usually something neurological and degenerative (MS/MND) that worries me the most (although I’ve also had panics about my heart) and when the thought gets hold I drive myself mad. I’m having a bit of a rough week with it so just thought I’d see if there are any fellow sufferers on the forum x"

The only advice I can give is to be proactive about your health. When looking at degenerative issues take a lot at how to combat these. It will help ease your mind that you are doing all you can to combat them if they ever happened.

Prevention is better than cure in many ways

over a year ago

I have developed a real fear of death over the last couple of years, every now and again it can stop me in my tracks and cause panic.

Do you suffer from anxiety or depression as well OP?

By *lueeyedboy1818Man
over a year ago

Northampton

I must say alot of people suffer with this and other mental health issues myself included and there are many things that can help. I have a mental health insta and have some training in the subject if you need any advice private message me and try to stay strong

over a year ago

Yes, I’ve had CBT to deal with health anxiety. I still suffer but I manage to hide it most of the time.

Covid had me petrified, then I caught it and now I actually feel much better.

The vaccine has me petrified and I haven’t had that.

I also suffer anaphylaxis so that’s always on my mind.

I have concerns about my heart and cancer is a real thing for me since my husband died quite suddenly in 2018. Watching him die and being his only carer in those final days really hyped up my anxiety. It’s grim and you have my deepest sympathy dealing with this awful anxiety

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"I have developed a real fear of death over the last couple of years, every now and again it can stop me in my tracks and cause panic.

Do you suffer from anxiety or depression as well OP?"

I’m sorry to hear that, it’s horrible isn’t it? I’ve been doing a lot of personal development work and having therapy as I’m about to continue my training to become a counsellor. I’m pretty self-aware so understand it is irrational, but I can’t shift the ‘what if’ out of my head. We’ve put it down to me needing some aspect of mental preparedness if it did come true. I’ve had depression in the past but not currently suffering, but have had anxiety which I self-manage for quite some time now. And it usually manifests itself in this way!

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

"Yes, I’ve had CBT to deal with health anxiety. I still suffer but I manage to hide it most of the time.

Covid had me petrified, then I caught it and now I actually feel much better.

The vaccine has me petrified and I haven’t had that.

I also suffer anaphylaxis so that’s always on my mind.

I have concerns about my heart and cancer is a real thing for me since my husband died quite suddenly in 2018. Watching him die and being his only carer in those final days really hyped up my anxiety. It’s grim and you have my deepest sympathy dealing with this awful anxiety "

Oh bless you, what a difficult time of it you’ve had - I’m sorry to hear about your husband, I can’t imagine how hard that must have been. From what I’ve read it’s often triggered by personal experiences.

Sending love xx

By *ribsaMan
over a year ago

A box at end of your bed

"Hello!

I was just wondering if anybody else suffers from this? I’ve always been a bit prone to worrying about my health but since my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s five years ago, it’s become a real issue for me. It’s usually something neurological and degenerative (MS/MND) that worries me the most (although I’ve also had panics about my heart) and when the thought gets hold I drive myself mad. I’m having a bit of a rough week with it so just thought I’d see if there are any fellow sufferers on the forum x"

Yes going through this myself at the moment having a real had time with it. So totally understand how you're feeling.

Keep away from Dr Google, I try my hardest to keep away, but you sometimes especially at night if you can't sleep as someone else mentioned the mind wanders I find myself looking things up which only make it worse.

Would have messaged private but outside of your filters.

Anyway Good luck

By *unandgamegeekMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"Hello!

I was just wondering if anybody else suffers from this? I’ve always been a bit prone to worrying about my health but since my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s five years ago, it’s become a real issue for me. It’s usually something neurological and degenerative (MS/MND) that worries me the most (although I’ve also had panics about my heart) and when the thought gets hold I drive myself mad. I’m having a bit of a rough week with it so just thought I’d see if there are any fellow sufferers on the forum x

Yes going through this myself at the moment having a real had time with it. So totally understand how you're feeling.

Keep away from Dr Google, I try my hardest to keep away, but you sometimes especially at night if you can't sleep as someone else mentioned the mind wanders I find myself looking things up which only make it worse.

Would have messaged private but outside of your filters.

Anyway Good luck "

I agree. Googling symptoms is never a good idea as it always shows the worst case scenarios despite them being the most unlikely as any kind of symptom whether it's a headache or back pain can be linked to some form of disease or cancer.

It is known that health anxiety can cause physical symptoms because of the stress which can also make you feel worse.

My advice would be to avoid Googling symptoms and try to keep your mind occupied whether it's just taking a walk or watch your favourite programme or movie.

over a year ago

OP, sorry to hear you're having a tough week. I can relate to your issues as I've had a very eventful life as far as health issues are concerned including several heart attacks, severe heart disease, disc surgery, pneumonia...all in the last decade.

I have had plenty of dark days but I feel positive and have learned several strategies that have helped me. I'll send you a private message with a few of those strategies.

One thing I will say is that talking about it is good..letting the dark thoughts swirl around in your head just makes matters worse as you are reading to rationalise with your irrational mind!!

over a year ago

There is a history of cancer and heart disease in my family. I get myself checked regularly so far so good, but I don't let it rule my life. Sending a virtual hug op x

By *tarflyLou OP   Woman
over a year ago

Preston

Thanks all, I never Google, I know how much worse it would make me! I’m having CBT for it now which has been helping x

over a year ago

I do. A lot of my close family have developed diabetes and my mum recently recovered from cancer so it’s always in the back of my mind.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Had a heart attack in June, prior to that no medication or other health worries. So it came out of the blue. I exercised regularly and ate fairly well (not perfect but good selection of food) so didn’t worry too much.

Now I’ve totally changed and worry a lot about my health, wrote a will and arranged stuff around my death.

I’d always tell people to be optimistic about the future good things can happen as much as bad ones. But with your health I’d now say, hope for the best and plan for the worst.

over a year ago

Kind of, I think cause I'm at that age. I'm waiting for something to come along and floor me

Post new Message to Thread