Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Snowdonia rip off

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Report on Trip Advisor about visiting Lake Bala I think it's called. Wales oldest lake. Apparently only two stars because the nearest McDonalds is 23 miles away.

And the local food mafia rip people off as a consequence and stop McDonalds getting in. I am no businessman but not sure a McDonalds on Lake Bala would do well anyway.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The last thing beautiful Bala needs is fucking Macdonalds rubbish all over the countryside.

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

I dint think a McDonalds would ever go out of business anywhere

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham and London

McDonald’s do well anywhere. There is always a market for a bit of quick junk no matter where you are in the world.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"The last thing beautiful Bala needs is fucking Macdonalds rubbish all over the countryside."

I agree! Rapunsells tower wouldn’t look right next to a Mac

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Bala is beautiful and should remain unspoilt.

I used to White Water Raft from above Bala....

Happy family memories buying local lavender honey, crusty bread, local butter and a ready roasted chicken and just eating on the gravel edges of Bala...

Never been so horrified as visiting Lands End to discover a fun fair and hotel ....... Jesus ... today's kids have grown up thinking that unspoilt Earth is a tragedy.

Billy Connolly told of taking his Americanised children to Scotland and finding that his kids never took their heads away from C.D. players...... they were totally uninspired by rolling hills, expansive heaths , blue skies and wildlife.

over a year ago

There should be more places like Lake Bala

And whilst they're stopping McDonalds, give a kick in the crotch to Aldi & Lidl too

Their 'flat pack' stores seem to popping up everywhere too

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

As if people can't go without their McFlurry at least once a day

over a year ago

It's a parody review, has to be.

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

I suspect the local food providers are primarily not keen on competition, with the issue of rubbish being a much lower priority.

I personally cannot stand monopolies and companies jacking up pricing because of it, so I'm all for building competing restaurants in the area. Let the market find its own equilibrium.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I don't believe that a lot of online reviews are genuine these days. Everyone is leaving them in the hope they get picked up by buzzfeed or ladbible ever since the of veet on testicles amazon review

over a year ago

The local food places don’t rip anyone off, they’re just like every other tourist site in the UK (slightly higher)

The last thing Snowdonia needs is a MuckDonalds and the litter it brings

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I go to places like llyn Bala because it doesn't have a McDonald's etc. Don't understand the need to make Britain a homogeneous bland place.

Yes local food places are more expensive, because they don't have the bargaining power of the big food chains (just the same tactics as supermarkets).

over a year ago

Bala is a favourite stopping off place for me when I visit Wales. Loads of lovely picnic areas with sheep wandering around, and it's really not hard to swing by a shop and pick up some nibbles. I'd hate to see a McDonald's there.

By *hrobbermanMan
over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Bala is doing quite fine without a MacDonalds. Best head on to Cerrig-Y-Druidon for the snacks.

By *octor DeleriumMan
over a year ago

Bristol

"I dint think a McDonalds would ever go out of business anywhere "

They pulled out of Bolivia in 2002.

The Bolivians like meat and burgers but didn't want to buy them from a global brand that produces pretty tasteless food.

over a year ago

"I suspect the local food providers are primarily not keen on competition, with the issue of rubbish being a much lower priority.

I personally cannot stand monopolies and companies jacking up pricing because of it, so I'm all for building competing restaurants in the area. Let the market find its own equilibrium."

While I understand the sentiment re monopolies (I really do), if things were left up to "the market" we would still have 8 year olds working in factories (see SE Asian clothing factories for details) and no small trader would stand a chance of entering the market in the first place.

If I'm at a beauty spot and the coffee cost twice what it does in McDonald's, but it's better for the area I'm happy to pay.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"I suspect the local food providers are primarily not keen on competition, with the issue of rubbish being a much lower priority.

I personally cannot stand monopolies and companies jacking up pricing because of it, so I'm all for building competing restaurants in the area. Let the market find its own equilibrium."

The race to the absolute fucking bottom.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I personally cannot stand monopolies and companies jacking up pricing because of it, so I'm all for building competing restaurants in the area. Let the market find its own equilibrium.

While I understand the sentiment re monopolies (I really do), if things were left up to "the market" we would still have 8 year olds working in factories (see SE Asian clothing factories for details) and no small trader would stand a chance of entering the market in the first place.

If I'm at a beauty spot and the coffee cost twice what it does in McDonald's, but it's better for the area I'm happy to pay."

Why is there only one Monopolies Commission..

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

That’s the best part of visiting the countryside (aside from the obvious), it isn’t like the towns and cities with the usual commercial stores.

Nothing better than a local store, bakery, cafe, etc selling local, normally homemade produce, yes it costs more, that’s what you get for buying fresh rather than mass produced blah

over a year ago

I never been to Lake Bala but I am quite glad for it there isnt a Mcdonalds within sight.

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

"The race to the absolute fucking bottom. "

Is it though ? Increased competition exerts downward pressure on pricing, but the market will still have niche/upmarket providers.

Take any town centre, and you'll find a plethora of food places to suit all tastes and budgets. That's a healthy market in action.

Having only a couple of local providers at a beauty spot creates a very skewed market.

By *ost SockMan
over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

It may be a parody review, but having worked in tourism, it’s quite possibly real.

I used to work in a rural part of Wales, and had people be verbally abusive when politely explaining the nearest towns do not have a Wetherspoons (I would get asked this at least a couple of times a week - not “does the town….., but “where in the town….”).

I’ve also had people moan when saying there isn’t an out-of-town shopping centre (there’s barely a town).

Probably best of all are the people complaining about the roads being narrow and twisty for their insanely large motorhomes to drive on.

Even if it isn’t real, there’ll be someone genuinely moaning about the lack of a McDonald’s there .

By *urplechesterCouple
over a year ago

chester

For me the countryside and a cheeky picnic go hand in hand! Those who get what the countryside is, would hopefully see those kind of reviews as a positive! No place for maccies in my view! Miss pc

By *lex_xxx2019Man
over a year ago

Cobham

I’ll be there on Thursday… I had better take a picnic!!! X

Post new Message to Thread