Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

paralympics

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Firstly sorry if this has been done and I missed it.

So watched some of the games today, and was amazed at watching these guys, and at how fast they can swim/run etc.

This got me thinking that these guys and gals are the real Olympians, and should be the main event of an Olympic year.

When you think of what they have to overcome, and then go out and push their bodies to extremes, they are truly amazing.

So in Rio should the Paralympics get centre stage, or should the able bodied still be given the main stage?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

some amazingly driven people, and did you know the paralimpics was all started by a jewish german doctor who fled to england in the war and used sports as a way to rehabilitate spinal injuries, a visionry man, Dr Guttmann

over a year ago

"some amazingly driven people, and did you know the paralimpics was all started by a jewish german doctor who fled to england in the war and used sports as a way to rehabilitate spinal injuries, a visionry man, Dr Guttmann"

I read about that. The first event was archery at stoke mandeville.

over a year ago

someone in my family was lucky enough to be under his care in the 50,s after a spinal injury, truely a life saver

over a year ago

think both should be staged and given 'air time' equally. Regardless of how a paralympian came into their circumstance i believe that able bodied althetes work just as hard and have the same drive/determination of the disabled athletes.

over a year ago

i think that the able bodied olyimpics will always be the main event and should be so, but i still find the paraolympics amazing

over a year ago

"think both should be staged and given 'air time' equally. Regardless of how a paralympian came into their circumstance i believe that able bodied althetes work just as hard and have the same drive/determination of the disabled athletes.

"

I would agree they work very very hard, and would never scoff at what they achieve. In an ideal world they would get equal sir tome.

I just think some of the things these people overcome, before they even start to train and compete sets them on a slightly higher standing.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I don't see it as one having prominence over the other. It's about getting equal billing, investment and coverage.

Triumph of the human spirit - whether the body is dis or abled.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Personally I think.the current way works well. If you have them together the achievements of the paralympians will be overshadowed.

There has been some cross over this year, 2 paralympians competed in the Olympics but I bet without googling you would only be able to name one

Post new Message to Thread