Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Paralympics

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

More new sporty stuff to learn. Tappers for blind swimmers. Pilots of blind cycling.

I'm so entralled by these Games already that I don't mind that my meet cancelled today.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I’m so exited about watching the Paralympic coverage….

All the athletes and competitors are truly inspiring…….

The event commentators are doing a great job but unfortunately the same can’t be said for the studio presenters anchoring the coverage, who seem reluctant to raise their enthusiasm levels anywhere higher than you’d get from government backed public service announcements…..

The adverts don’t help !!

Oh where-O-where is Auntie BeeB when you need her!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I’m so exited about watching the Paralympic coverage….

All the athletes and competitors are truly inspiring…….

The event commentators are doing a great job but unfortunately the same can’t be said for the studio presenters anchoring the coverage, who seem reluctant to raise their enthusiasm levels anywhere higher than you’d get from government backed public service announcements…..

The adverts don’t help !!

Oh where-O-where is Auntie BeeB when you need her! "

There is nothing we can do about the adverts but we can tell the presenters to loosen up. I am hoping that as it's only day one they will get into their stride by this afternoon and start being a bit more enthusiastic.

The only other thing marring my viewing is seeing the Atos sponsorship logo and wanting to shout at them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Go team gb soooo proud of our athletes let's go get em guys xxxx

Reply privately

By *win PeaksCouple
over a year ago

Northamptonshire

It is Great to see the venues full of spectators

I agree that the coverage on 4 isn't as good, but you have to admit that we were spoiled, the Beeb are excellent at at this kind of thing

Nicky

Reply privately

over a year ago

Jonathan Fox "New World Record"……

Awesome

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Jonathan Fox "New World Record"……

Awesome "

Just saw that... lets hope he's not used all his energy up for when it comes to the medals. Still massive achievement for him. Well done Jonathan

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sarah Storey New World Record…… yeeeeee-hawwwwwww utterly brilliant

Reply privately

over a year ago

Woo Hoo! Sarah Storey new WORLD record.

Reply privately

over a year ago

when a new world record is set is that the best of the best regardless if an individual is disabled or not? or are there two books of world records?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"when a new world record is set is that the best of the best regardless if an individual is disabled or not? or are there two books of world records?"

That is the best of the best. If it was a Paralympic record it would be the best ever at any Paralympics.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I have a question who is ATOS?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"More new sporty stuff to learn. Tappers for blind swimmers. Pilots of blind cycling.

I'm so entralled by these Games already that I don't mind that my meet cancelled today."

i think sticking chris hoy on the front of the tandem would be a good idea for the blind cycling

i find all the clasification confusing,there are too many varients competing against each other.who is to say one disability is equall to another.

example in the swimming a british lad with cerebal palsy thrashed everyone else.some of them had 1 leg.surely if it was fair the race would be alot closer

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have a question who is ATOS? "

The private sector company with the government contract to assess whether people in this country are eligible for disability benefits.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"I have a question who is ATOS?

The private sector company with the government contract to assess whether people in this country are eligible for disability benefits."

Ohhhh god that is a bit of a kick in the teeth then... Who in their right mind thought hey lets get the ATOS to sponsor this..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"More new sporty stuff to learn. Tappers for blind swimmers. Pilots of blind cycling.

I'm so entralled by these Games already that I don't mind that my meet cancelled today.

i think sticking chris hoy on the front of the tandem would be a good idea for the blind cycling

i find all the clasification confusing,there are too many varients competing against each other.who is to say one disability is equall to another.

example in the swimming a british lad with cerebal palsy thrashed everyone else.some of them had 1 leg.surely if it was fair the race would be alot closer"

That's why there are so many classifications and medals. The Ch4 web-site has an explanation of the classifications.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The private sector company with the government contract to assess whether people in this country are eligible for disability benefits.

Ohhhh god that is a bit of a kick in the teeth then... Who in their right mind thought hey lets get the ATOS to sponsor this.. "

I'm not sure, but they may be one of the worldwide sponsors. It's not that easy to get sponsorship for the Paralympics. 2012 may well be a game changer on that too as the smaller audience and reduced press coverage has meant that very few of the biggies are interested in the sponsorship deals.

Reply privately

over a year ago

New Zealand's Sophie Pascoe sets a New World Record too……

This is astonishing....

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I have a question who is ATOS? "

French company with about £3 bn worth of contracts with the tory government..

labour brought in the assessments as a trial and the tory coalition rolled it out across the country..

there have been calls from the audit office and gp's for their assessment procedures to be reviewed..

seen to be too harsh..

some 40% of 3/4 million aseessments appealed against their decisions, 38% were successfull..

that alone cost about £50 mill..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"when a new world record is set is that the best of the best regardless if an individual is disabled or not? or are there two books of world records?"

It is a parylimpian world record, there are able bodied world records and disabled world records, so there are 2 books as you put it

Reply privately

over a year ago

Ohhhh god that is a bit of a kick in the teeth then... Who in their right mind thought hey lets get the ATOS to sponsor this.. "

Considering the games started here yes i think it's a kick in the teeth also.... What ever happened to sponsership like good ole Daz etc

Reply privately

over a year ago

WTF is Channel 4 thinking about…….

They keep cutting away from live action for no other reason than going back to studio so we can see unenthusiastic pundits talk about what were missing…. WTF

OMG….. Channel 4, up your fook'in game….. please….!.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"WTF is Channel 4 thinking about…….

They keep cutting away from live action for no other reason than going back to studio so we can see unenthusiastic pundits talk about what were missing…. WTF

"

They do seem to be missing the point. Although, I would be happy to see more of new presenter Arthur on TV - after the Games!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Maybe a silly question but I can not remember getting explanations etc about all the different events etc in such detail from previous para games. Am I right thinking most previous games have only shown the events taking place?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Maybe a silly question but I can not remember getting explanations etc about all the different events etc in such detail from previous para games. Am I right thinking most previous games have only shown the events taking place?"

That's more or less correct. Even then the streaming of the events was less than we are getting this time.

Reply privately

over a year ago

A nippon for Ben Quilter... it's a whole different language!

Reply privately

over a year ago

One of the many advantages of having the games here eh.

Reply privately

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

I'm so entralled by these Games already that I don't mind that my meet cancelled today."

You really should try and do one of the events great fun and a greater understanding of disability makes it win win for everyone

Reply privately

over a year ago

I've finally found the dedicated Ch4 channels - No silly cut aways to the studio. But also not the magazine approach of sampling new things.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You really should try and do one of the events great fun and a greater understanding of disability makes it win win for everyone "

I can't ride a bike now - let alone blindfolded or missing a limb! I won't be able to blame my disability any longer though, will I?

Reply privately

over a year ago

some really great skills on display.

just shows you that its not the end if you suffer illness or accident and lose sight,hearing or a limb.

inspiring.

Reply privately

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"WTF is Channel 4 thinking about…….

"

Channel 4 has the worst sports coverage ever for any sport anywhere, they are atrocious!

We have been spoiled by the Beeb coverage at the Olympics. It really highlights how poor C4 is.

----------------------------------

Changing the subject slightly I was surprised to see so many 'superficially' able bodied people marching through the stadium at the opening. After looking into it further apparently a lot of the athletes are perfectly able bodied but suffer from mental problems?

How do they categorize this? It must be a nightmare to do!

I mean, for instance, if Usain Bolt became schizophrenic can he compete??? I'm genuinely puzzled.

Reply privately

over a year ago

First gold for us comes in the Cycling... well done Sarah Storey for the individual pursuit C5

8 medals for her now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not long home from this mornings equestrian (team dressage) and have to say it was slightly disappointing to see the venue only half full at most The weather wasn't great but come the hell on!

That said, the event and the competitors was truly inspiring and also very humbling, especially when the young South African lad burst into tears when he finished. Absolutely awesome each and every one of them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Changing the subject slightly I was surprised to see so many 'superficially' able bodied people marching through the stadium at the opening. After looking into it further apparently a lot of the athletes are perfectly able bodied but suffer from mental problems?

I mean, for instance, if Usain Bolt became schizophrenic can he compete??? I'm genuinely puzzled."

I am sure it is difficult to categorise mental health, learning, development and physical disabilities against each other. Surely that is part of the point? Disability is not 'just' wheelchairs and being blind. Also, don't underestimate the physical impact of mental health issues.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"First gold for us comes in the Cycling... well done Sarah Storey for the individual pursuit C5

8 medals for her now. "

I missed it! Work interrupted my viewing. Well done her.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I mean, for instance, if Usain Bolt became schizophrenic can he compete??? I'm genuinely puzzled.

I am sure it is difficult to categorise mental health, learning, development and physical disabilities against each other. Surely that is part of the point? Disability is not 'just' wheelchairs and being blind. Also, don't underestimate the physical impact of mental health issues."

I am pleased you found it inspiring and it is a pity that the venue was not full.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Medals, medals, medals - a good start.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This wheelchair basketball malarky is tense and close and then Ch4 went to an ad break! It's probably a game that was played earlier but I need to know if Team GB wins or not.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

sarah storey in the cycling pursuit.... fantastic...

just to give you a view of how fast she was in the qualifying round... her time would have been quick enough to get silver medal in the "able bodied" world track championships.....

the only reason she wasn't in the olympic team pursuit is because of her disability her starts are a lot slower.... which means she is going faster around the track than all of the other girls to compensate...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"sarah storey in the cycling pursuit.... fantastic...

just to give you a view of how fast she was in the qualifying round... her time would have been quick enough to get silver medal in the "able bodied" world track championships.....

the only reason she wasn't in the olympic team pursuit is because of her disability her starts are a lot slower.... which means she is going faster around the track than all of the other girls to compensate...

"

It was great to watch.

A good first day and new stamps.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A nippon for Ben Quilter... it's a whole different language!"

Of course it is, it's Japanese!

Ippon means 1 point

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was at the wheelchair basketball this morning/afternoon. There were quite a lot of empty seats around but the atmosphere was still amazing. Saw some amazing talent, and some great athletes.

"Disability is not inability"

Reply privately

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"

I am sure it is difficult to categorise mental health, learning, development and physical disabilities against each other. Surely that is part of the point? Disability is not 'just' wheelchairs and being blind. Also, don't underestimate the physical impact of mental health issues."

I copied this from the website.....The easy to follow system is made up of colour coded graphics that illustrate disability types within sporting classes. Different types and levels of impairments are illustrated using of a colour palette: green denoting no impairment, yellow - mild, orange - moderate and red - severe.

Everything is designed to be intuitive so in addition, missing limbs are shown as just that -a missing limb, dwarfism is illustrated by a smaller figure and learning disability is illustrated by applying the colour palette to the head.

The graphics will be used ahead of Paralympic races to indicate which disabilities are included in each specific classification sector, for example, a T44 race in the track in athletics or S6 in swimming.

The LEXI concept was originally created by Paralympic gold medal winning athlete, Giles Long and has the backing of the International Paralympics Committee, the British Paralympic Association and Seb Coe, Chair of the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

LEXI will be applied to coverage of eight of the 20 Paralympic sports:

•Swimming

•Athletics

•Wheelchair Rugby

•Wheelchair Basketball

•Sitting Volleyball

•Seven-a-side football

•Cycling

•Table Tennis

Its really quite clever the way they do this, C4 are explaining it before most of the comps....

Reply privately

over a year ago

Femme, thanks for being practical. I took the question as a debate on physicality and disability.

Ch4 are doing a really good job of explaining things. The web-site is great too. Unfortunately, it keeps interrupting the sporty bits when they are at a crucial match point.

Reply privately

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Femme, thanks for being practical. I took the question as a debate on physicality and disability.

Ch4 are doing a really good job of explaining things. The web-site is great too. Unfortunately, it keeps interrupting the sporty bits when they are at a crucial match point."

So do the adverts which is frustrating.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Femme, thanks for being practical. I took the question as a debate on physicality and disability.

Ch4 are doing a really good job of explaining things. The web-site is great too. Unfortunately, it keeps interrupting the sporty bits when they are at a crucial match point.So do the adverts which is frustrating....."

The extra Ch4 Paralympic channels are better for the sport but don't give the explanations in as much detail. I think they should have had an induction day so that we'd be ready.

Reply privately

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Ch4 are doing a really good job of explaining things. The web-site is great too. Unfortunately, it keeps interrupting the sporty bits when they are at a crucial match point.So do the adverts which is frustrating.....

The extra Ch4 Paralympic channels are better for the sport but don't give the explanations in as much detail. I think they should have had an induction day so that we'd be ready."

I agree, i dont read newspapers or periodicals, do you know if they published them?

Reply privately

over a year ago

The coverage is no where near a patch on what the BBC had.also it seems the presenters seem more interested in the disabilty,I am not interested in the disability I'm watching it to see people play sports.I'm sure that's the point of the olympics

Reply privately

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"

I am sure it is difficult to categorise mental health, learning, development and physical disabilities against each other. Surely that is part of the point? Disability is not 'just' wheelchairs and being blind. Also, don't underestimate the physical impact of mental health issues.I copied this from the website.....The easy to follow system is made up of colour coded graphics that illustrate disability types within sporting classes. Different types and levels of impairments are illustrated using of a colour palette: green denoting no impairment, yellow - mild, orange - moderate and red - severe.

Everything is designed to be intuitive so in addition, missing limbs are shown as just that -a missing limb, dwarfism is illustrated by a smaller figure and learning disability is illustrated by applying the colour palette to the head.

The graphics will be used ahead of Paralympic races to indicate which disabilities are included in each specific classification sector, for example, a T44 race in the track in athletics or S6 in swimming.

The LEXI concept was originally created by Paralympic gold medal winning athlete, Giles Long and has the backing of the International Paralympics Committee, the British Paralympic Association and Seb Coe, Chair of the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

LEXI will be applied to coverage of eight of the 20 Paralympic sports:

•Swimming

•Athletics

•Wheelchair Rugby

•Wheelchair Basketball

•Sitting Volleyball

•Seven-a-side football

•Cycling

•Table Tennis

Its really quite clever the way they do this, C4 are explaining it before most of the comps...."

Thanks Femme, all is clear.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I only have one gripe and it's a big one,why can they not hold the Paralmpics on before the other games? I am sure I am not Robinson crusoe thinking by holding the Para games after the other games it's saying the paras are less important.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Seeing as I'm laid up at the moment...

and being a big wimp yesterday

I should stop moaning and it just makes me realise how fortunate I am that I'll be back on both feet in a few weeks time.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I only have one gripe and it's a big one,why can they not hold the Paralmpics on before the other games? I am sure I am not Robinson crusoe thinking by holding the Para games after the other games it's saying the paras are less important."

i think this is one of those arguments they wouldn't win whichever way round they held them... because if it was before I am sure they would get accused of using it as a "warm up"

the only way to get round it would be to alternate between them

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I only have one gripe and it's a big one,why can they not hold the Paralmpics on before the other games? I am sure I am not Robinson crusoe thinking by holding the Para games after the other games it's saying the paras are less important.

i think this is one of those arguments they wouldn't win whichever way round they held them... because if it was before I am sure they would get accused of using it as a "warm up"

the only way to get round it would be to alternate between them"

Yeah thought of that reasoning and to alternate is good idea , I also thought along time ago bugger the cost and inconvenience to the sponsers and organisers why not hold them together ?

Reply privately

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

"I only have one gripe and it's a big one,why can they not hold the Paralmpics on before the other games? I am sure I am not Robinson crusoe thinking by holding the Para games after the other games it's saying the paras are less important.

the only way to get round it would be to alternate between them"

Yeah I was thinking that, maybe every 2 years it's either Olympics or Paralympics. But then I think the latter would possibly suffer from not having that wave of Olympic hype to ride. Plus the shared costs of putting on both events at the same year/place would be lost.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I only have one gripe and it's a big one,why can they not hold the Paralmpics on before the other games? I am sure I am not Robinson crusoe thinking by holding the Para games after the other games it's saying the paras are less important."

Can’t say I’ve ever heard anyone involved with the Paralympics complain about the scheduling of the event or even suggest any feeling of disparity regards equal billing with the Olympics games….

Reply privately

over a year ago

The Last Leg is having a humorous discussion about whether it's ok to ask if...

they look 'normal' should they be in the Paralympics?

it's ok to laugh at the wheelchair crashes?

They've opened it up to Twit now... what will make it on air?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Standing ovation for Hassan. Ellie Simmonds to look forward to. Another day of inertia on my part

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sarah Storey,,,,,, gold number two..... utterly fantastic !!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cundy pulled it out of the bag. Brilliant to shake off yesterday so well.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Richard Whitehead’s 200 mtr Gold medal run has to rank as one of the most amazing performances by any British athlete ever!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Richard Whitehead’s 200 mtr Gold medal run has to rank as one of the most amazing performances by any British athlete ever!

"

It's been another super Saturday in lots of ways.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Eleanor Simmonds OBE and bloody superstar. That was so tense. Another gold.

Reply privately

Forum Mod

over a year ago

"Richard Whitehead’s 200 mtr Gold medal run has to rank as one of the most amazing performances by any British athlete ever!

"

That was truly amazing to watch

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

awesome performance..well bloody done to her

got a bit of dust in my eye lol..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"awesome performance..well bloody done to her

got a bit of dust in my eye lol.. "

The dust back again, is it? She handled the pressure and expectation so well.

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

The dust back again, is it? She handled the pressure and expectation so well."

yep, now and then lol

she certainly did, for a 17 yr old..

she has 'moy cojones' think thats how you say it..

Reply privately

over a year ago

yep, now and then lol

she has 'moy cojones' think thats how you say it.."

Aww! What a sweet interview.

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

yep, now and then lol

she has 'moy cojones' think thats how you say it..

Aww! What a sweet interview."

yep, more bloody dust..

bless her..

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

It's been another super Saturday in lots of ways."

Reply privately

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

saw sarah storey and her hubby barney on tv win golds and the velodrome was packed and very noisy again just like in the olympics.

having been to manchester velodrome for the uci world cups i think velodrome races are a great evenings entertainment.

Reply privately

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

saw elli interviewed after her win today and the poor girl was so emotional after a great win.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Inspiring at all levels.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

Jason Smyth.... New World Record...twice in one day,,,,superb

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Jason Smyth.... New World Record...twice in one day,,,,superb "

There was no one else even close! Amazing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Jason Smyth.... New World Record...twice in one day,,,,superb

There was no one else even close! Amazing."

Blade-Runner still to come too....

I liked the way they've been calling this Oscar Night.....lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

I liked the way they've been calling this Oscar Night.....lol "

What time is he on? I've just taken a Paralympic break to watch the Dr Who opening. I don't want to miss Oscar though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

What time is he on? I've just taken a Paralympic break to watch the Dr Who opening. I don't want to miss Oscar though."

haha,,,, Yeah ,,, I've switched over to watch the Dr's assistant too.....

I think Oscar runs after Dr....

Reply privately

over a year ago

What time is he on? I've just taken a Paralympic break to watch the Dr Who opening. I don't want to miss Oscar though.

haha,,,, Yeah ,,, I've switched over to watch the Dr's assistant too.....

I think Oscar runs after Dr.... "

I hope so - it's a good start. People with Dalek bits...

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm going to miss the rest of his races tonight... Brilliant first run with a world record.

Reply privately

By *omaMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Much respect to these athletes...They doing themselves proud..... Although i heard 2 have already been tested positive for WD40 !

Reply privately

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

just been watching the discus and those tv cameramen are too close for comfort for me!,discus lands very,very close and am just wondering about the javelin if it gets a bit of wind drift as an official at a meet last weekend got speared by a javelin.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Even with the blind cyclists they play that strange game of chicken.

I've had to stop watching the blind football as it's too dangerous. It must be frustrating to be in the crowd and want to shout out a warning when someone moves in fast.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Aww... Para cyclicts just missed gold. At the top of the cycling medal table though.

Reply privately

over a year ago

GB Gold and silver cycling in the same category - how does that work?

Reply privately

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"GB Gold and silver cycling in the same category - how does that work?"

The winning GB team gets Gold and the second place GB team gets Silver.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well-done Libby Clegg a brilliant Silver……….. yes-yes-yes,,,,

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well-done Libby Clegg a brilliant Silver……….. yes-yes-yes,,,, "

Damn, I took a break from the sporty stuff.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

have to say... give channel 4 credit.... their coverage is actually growing on me....

take out the adverts, and I think they are actually doing a not bad job......

Reply privately

over a year ago

bit of a shock for Oscar not to win that, and also what he had to say about the length of the Brazilian's blades.

sore loser or did he have a point that the longer blades gave him chance to take out 8m from behind?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"bit of a shock for Oscar not to win that, and also what he had to say about the length of the Brazilian's blades.

sore loser or did he have a point that the longer blades gave him chance to take out 8m from behind? "

They are saying the blades are measured before the race and Olivera's passed and are legal. Bad form to take it like that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yay! Dave Weir. Brilliant. I am really envious of my neighbours in the Stadium right now.

Reply privately

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Ive really enjoyed watching their stories on how they have got to the paralympics....

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Inspiring people to watch....but the best moment for me up to now is when Will Bayley was upset at not winning gold and lay on the floor upset, and the German who did win Gold went over and gave him a bear hug....it was lovely to watch.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Inspiring people to watch....but the best moment for me up to now is when Will Bayley was upset at not winning gold and lay on the floor upset, and the German who did win Gold went over and gave him a bear hug....it was lovely to watch. "

That was lovely.

Also, there seem to be many more couples competing. The Paralympics has a real family feel to it.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I agree with the CH4 coverage though, they cut away at the wrong moment and there are way too many breaks, so we sky + last nights and watched it half an hour after so we could cut out the breaks.

We sat down to watch David Weir and the bell had just rang for the last lap and the programme ended.....it had stopped recording because it was over running ....we had to watch plus 1 and wait another half hour with the breaks anyway ....that will teach us !!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I agree with the CH4 coverage though, they cut away at the wrong moment and there are way too many breaks, so we sky + last nights and watched it half an hour after so we could cut out the breaks.

We sat down to watch David Weir and the bell had just rang for the last lap and the programme ended.....it had stopped recording because it was over running ....we had to watch plus 1 and wait another half hour with the breaks anyway ....that will teach us !! "

That is annoying. Tivo now gives you the option to record longer for live transmissions.

The swimming seems to prevent me leaving the house most days. I will leave after Ellie has finished her swim.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

What a swim for Ellie in the heats

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What a swim for Ellie in the heats "

Another world record.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What a swim for Ellie in the heats "

Cant help but smile when i see her.. she's ace

Reply privately

By *red and florenceCouple
over a year ago

whitstable

[Removed by poster at 03/09/12 21:07:52]

Reply privately

By *red and florenceCouple
over a year ago

whitstable

Amazing athletes..what they achieve is unbelievable..

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have to work this afternoon and evening and miss seeing if Ellie takes a third gold

Reply privately

over a year ago

been down to the paralympics and seen a few sports. the whole thing is amazing, the helping volunteers through to the amazing athletes and the crowds round greenwich and the olympic park, whooo and for a change on the tube, everyone was smiling and chatting to eachother instead of silence and starring at the ceiling....

many a tear shed watching some of these guys compete and win, but just to be competing means so much to them...awesome

paralympic GB team

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"bit of a shock for Oscar not to win that, and also what he had to say about the length of the Brazilian's blades.

sore loser or did he have a point that the longer blades gave him chance to take out 8m from behind? "

been looking into it a little and oscar... has a point... up to a point!

because he competes in able bodied event his blades are set at a certain length... but because IAAF and IPC events are managed differently he could "in theory" raise his blade by 10cm to compete in IPC competition.... and be legal...but that would smash his case for competing in IAAF competition...

then add to the case that the brazilian admited to raising his blades by 3cm 3 weeks ago... for this competition..

again all perfectly legal under IPC competition...

the simple answer is if oscar had run as fast in the final as he did in the heats (remember he broke the WR in the heats) then he would have won..... but the point oscar raised is valid in that he is at a disadvantage as he is competing under 1 set of rules, and everyone else is competing under another.... and that was the point he raised with the IPC in the weeks before the games....

he is almost a victim of his own desire to compete with able bodied athletes

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Oscar...

he is almost a victim of his own desire to compete with able bodied athletes"

An interesting debate on the Pistorius Paradox on R4 yesterday. Oscar claims that the longer stride means that you take fewer steps but analysis shows that Oliveira took more steps with Pistorius actually using the longer stride.

If the IPC accept that lengthening the blades does give an advantage it could mean that the IOC have to look at the decision to allow him to compete in the Olympics again. His argument was that blades do not give an advantage.

Yet both his Olympic and Paralympic races have been within the rules. Is it possible that he just got a little complacent with everyone saying it would be Oscar night? Was he spending too much time in front of the camera and not enough on the track?

As I am only recently converted to all this sport stuff I'm still puzzling what I actually think about any of it.

Right now, though I am just in awe of Xu Qing and his amazing swimming style.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

its the IAAF who set the length of Oscars blades so that it doesn't give him an advantage in able bodied races.... but I was surprised to learn that under IPC rules, he could "if he wanted" raised his blades by 10cm....

the olympic and paralympic races are in effect run under 2 different rules... the problem for oscar, is that he is such a role model now with he fight to be accepted, that if he ran of different blades for the different types of competition he would be slaughtered from both sides

Reply privately

over a year ago

"its the IAAF who set the length of Oscars blades so that it doesn't give him an advantage in able bodied races.... but I was surprised to learn that under IPC rules, he could "if he wanted" raised his blades by 10cm....

the olympic and paralympic races are in effect run under 2 different rules... the problem for oscar, is that he is such a role model now with he fight to be accepted, that if he ran of different blades for the different types of competition he would be slaughtered from both sides"

A fact I think he recognises from the tone of his apology yesterday. The IPC response was interesting in that they will 'listen out of respect to Oscar' but 'it may not change anything'.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sophie Christiansen..... 3 Golds and a smile to melt any heart.....

What a Star !!!!

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

its gotten to the stage where you stop looking at the disability and concentrate on the sport.. and thats the best tribute I can give to the event.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"its gotten to the stage where you stop looking at the disability and concentrate on the sport.. and thats the best tribute I can give to the event....."

you have hit the nail on the head Fabio...

was watching the swimming and had to double take that the GB lady only had one arm..

Reply privately

over a year ago

The wheelchair Tennis is utterly enthralling…… amazing skills ….

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The wheelchair Tennis is utterly enthralling…… amazing skills …. "

My first time seeing this. The guy in the motorised chair using his ankle/feet to serve - I can't manage it with hands!

Reply privately

By *he tactile technicianMan
over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

"A nippon for Ben Quilter... it's a whole different language!"
You mean Stumpy! used to fight against him in the Team GB Visually impaired Judo squad, he always kicked my arse in the under 60 kilos too

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A nippon for Ben Quilter... it's a whole different language! You mean Stumpy! used to fight against him in the Team GB Visually impaired Judo squad, he always kicked my arse in the under 60 kilos too "

Judo too? Is there anything you don't do? Synchronised swimming?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Changing the subject slightly I was surprised to see so many 'superficially' able bodied people marching through the stadium at the opening. After looking into it further apparently a lot of the athletes are perfectly able bodied but suffer from mental problems?

I mean, for instance, if Usain Bolt became schizophrenic can he compete??? I'm genuinely puzzled."

A lot of the people marching as well as the paralympians were there in a supporting capacity, so coaches, trainers and PA's were allowed to accompany their disabled athletes, giving a false impression. Many disabled people experience multiple disabilities including a mental health disorder, but contestents of the paralympics have to qualify on being a paralympic athlete. Small people, learning disabled people, Deaf people and mental ill health survivors all have their own games outside of the paralympics.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I missed a lot of the Games yesterday but I saw the Oscar Pistorius relay finish this morning. He was determined and on form and like that the length of Oliveira's blades did not come into. Where does that leave his argument now?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sarah Storey - her 4th gold! Lots of stamps.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I missed a lot of the Games yesterday but I saw the Oscar Pistorius relay finish this morning. He was determined and on form and like that the length of Oliveira's blades did not come into. Where does that leave his argument now?"
despite the publicity portraying them as super human, it shows that they're all susceptible to raw emotion; being angry at themselves for losing, and in some cases not being gracious enough to admit that they were fairly and squarely beaten. I hope that if any legacy is left by these games it is at last the bannishing of the term 'able bodied' to the scrap heap of inappropriateness like the ***H*** word

Reply privately

over a year ago

Gold and WR for Josef Craig - the happiest day of his life. Punching the air.

We're only one gold behind Russia now for 2nd place.

Reply privately

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I shall be watching at just after 9pm

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hannah Cockroft and "Sally" what a fantastic Golden Double....

Outstanding performance

Reply privately

over a year ago

The Japanese sprinter is wearing a Paralympic Torch on his stump.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The Japanese sprinter is wearing a Paralympic Torch on his stump."

Awww I missed that.... it sounds so cool...

Reply privately

By *encarolCouple
over a year ago

Tyneside

Yes they put "normal" people to shame . they dont winge or throw there dummies out of the pram unlike some so called top class sportsmen/ women

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yeah atos are shit

Reply privately

over a year ago

The wheelchair rugby does look like they ought to have Ben Hur spikes on the wheels. Team GB has won.

Reply privately

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

"The wheelchair rugby does look like they ought to have Ben Hur spikes on the wheels. Team GB has won."

now thats a great idea

Reply privately

over a year ago

I noticed another pleasant/positive effect of the Olympic and Paralympic Games yesterday. I passed a group of young people singing the National Anthem. It was kinda sweet. A little group of 9 or 10 year olds as they were leaving school.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

okay.. here is a question that we have been having in the office today....

do you now put sarah storey in the "sports personality of the year" conversation with brad wiggins and mo farrah....

I would put her above jess ennis and laura trott....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"okay.. here is a question that we have been having in the office today....

do you now put sarah storey in the "sports personality of the year" conversation with brad wiggins and mo farrah....

I would put her above jess ennis and laura trott...."

I certainly would. If she gets another gold she beats Tanni Grey-Thompson's record.

Dave Weir is also amazing to watch.

Reply privately

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

David weir, what an athlete, what a competitor

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yay! 3 golds for Dave Weir and people wearing 'weirwolf' masks.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I would put her above jess ennis and laura trott...."

I feel it would be absolutely fitting tribute to present the award to a parlympian this year,,,, But not simply as a concession….

I think all of our para-lympians have embodied everything that is great about sport and true sportsmanship.

They’ve made the entire nation proud of Britain …

Reply privately

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Yay! 3 golds for Dave Weir and people wearing 'weirwolf' masks."
wowsa...can Johnnie Peacock get gold over Pistorius?

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Yay! 3 golds for Dave Weir and people wearing 'weirwolf' masks.wowsa...can Johnnie Peacock get gold over Pistorius?"

god i hope so x

Reply privately

By *leurCouple
over a year ago

West Hull

David Weir - awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Reply privately

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Yay! 3 golds for Dave Weir and people wearing 'weirwolf' masks.wowsa...can Johnnie Peacock get gold over Pistorius?

god i hope so x"

Im excited.....think il cry if he wins..im feeling emotional this evening

Reply privately

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

I would put her above jess ennis and laura trott....

I feel it would be absolutely fitting tribute to present the award to a parlympian this year,,,, But not simply as a concession….

I think all of our para-lympians have embodied everything that is great about sport and true sportsmanship.

They’ve made the entire nation proud of Britain …

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Yay! 3 golds for Dave Weir and people wearing 'weirwolf' masks.wowsa...can Johnnie Peacock get gold over Pistorius?

god i hope so xIm excited.....think il cry if he wins..im feeling emotional this evening "

This is tense... are they going to disqualify?

Reply privately

over a year ago

oh eck this is tense and exciting....

Reply privately

over a year ago

OMG wooop woooop!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Peacock, Peacock, Peacock - brilliant. Screaming here. Local lad.

Reply privately

over a year ago

OMG....... Peacock...... OMG...... OMG.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

love the way he shouts out 'fuck yes' as he crosses the line

Reply privately

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Now im crying lol....wow....fabulous!!!

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Unbelievable night on the track, and then we had the swimming and the cycling medals.....another great day of watching so many people who have overcome so much.

As Fabio says , it has got to the point where you have to remind yourselves that this is the paralympics.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The paralypmians of London 2012 have set an astonishing 205 new world records so far,,,,,

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The paralypmians of London 2012 have set an astonishing 205 new world records so far,,,,,

"

and another one....make that 206,,,,,

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

that 34 point womens medley is probably the most exciting race I have seen all of the paralympics so far.... wow......

also.. on a side note.. i am glad they gave both girls bronze in the handcycling after they went over the line hand in hand.... seemed to be a bit picky splitting them apart...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"that 34 point womens medley is probably the most exciting race I have seen all of the paralympics so far.... wow......

also.. on a side note.. i am glad they gave both girls bronze in the handcycling after they went over the line hand in hand.... seemed to be a bit picky splitting them apart..."

Bloody fast!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Boccia - looks like the perfect living room game. I can stay in my chair and toss some bean bags around. I've found my sport

Reply privately

over a year ago

I didn't really know about Alex Zanardi before these Games but I'm a little in love with him now. What spirit.

Reply privately

over a year ago

David Stone…… Gold….. yes-yes-yes…..

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's the last night of competition and The Last Leg. It's also the Last Night of the Proms, Dr Who and the Thick of It starting.

I've become an Para/Olympic addict. I'll be starting a petition to keep The Last Leg as a regular banter show.

One last Oscar race to go.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Team GB Basketball

Reply privately

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Team GB Basketball "
noooooooooo really?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Pistorius really went for it tonight. A good proper run.

Reply privately

By *andyguy59Man
over a year ago

Gatwick

Just an observation but I've not seen too many Black Paralympic athletes in the GB team? Any thoughts?

Reply privately

By *andyguy59Man
over a year ago

Gatwick

There was Trike racing today ..really really hard to get them to go round corners....as they will not lean they just tip over.

One of my neighbours used to race trikes he let me take one of his out once - I fell off on the first corner! I might add I was about 25 years old not 3 years old when this happened!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Just an observation but I've not seen too many Black Paralympic athletes in the GB team? Any thoughts? "

Notable by their absence.

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"I didn't really know about Alex Zanardi before these Games but I'm a little in love with him now. What spirit."

he is such a lovely bloke!! met him a couple of times when i was addicted to F1, one of the nicest drivers

Reply privately

By *andyguy59Man
over a year ago

Gatwick

I'll be starting a petition to keep The Last Leg as a regular banter show.

I'll sign - not seen too many of them...but the ones i have seen have been really good - am enjoying tonight's too

Reply privately

By *andyguy59Man
over a year ago

Gatwick

"Just an observation but I've not seen too many Black Paralympic athletes in the GB team? Any thoughts?

Notable by their absence."

yep....

Reply privately

By *lipperyWhenWet!Couple
over a year ago

Rochester

"Team GB Basketball "

Just got back from watching it at the dome.

Shame about uk team not winning but the usa team had better defence and in the end it paid off.

Canada v Astralia was a very close match and both deserved to be in the final, but Canada were the strongest in the last quater and kept a small lead to the end and win the gold.

Was a dam good night and i wish there was more of this to watch and not just every 4 years on the telly!

Well done everyone envolved in any way!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Team GB Basketball

Just got back from watching it at the dome.

Shame about uk team not winning but the usa team had better defence and in the end it paid off.

Canada v Astralia was a very close match and both deserved to be in the final, but Canada were the strongest in the last quater and kept a small lead to the end and win the gold.

Was a dam good night and i wish there was more of this to watch and not just every 4 years on the telly!

Well done everyone envolved in any way!

"

I really do hope that the excitement the Paralympics has generated can lead to more inclusive coverage of sport. It has been great to find things on other than football and that I have enjoyed them.

Marathon underway now and then the Closing Ceremony tonight.

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Just an observation but I've not seen too many Black Paralympic athletes in the GB team? Any thoughts?

Notable by their absence."

Sadly "imperfections" are not celebrated in the black community which is a crying shame.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Notable by their absence.

yep...."

I think it will be an interesting talking point in the black community... I think I have seen a couple in the wheelchair basketball.... and one won a bronze in the athletics...

but for a multicultural this county is has been a surprise...

Reply privately

over a year ago

I can honestly say hand on heart, I’ve never felt more proud of being British, than I have during these past 11 days of London’s 2012 Paralyimpic games,,,

Reply privately

over a year ago

I missed seeing Dave Weir get his 4th gold but I am looking forward to watching the Paraorchestra this afternoon and the Closing Ceremony tonight.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is anyone going to watch the Closing Ceremony?

I'm enjoying the review of the last couple of weeks on Ch4.

Reply privately

By *andyguy59Man
over a year ago

Gatwick

[Removed by poster at 09/09/12 20:22:39]

Reply privately

By *andyguy59Man
over a year ago

Gatwick

"Is anyone going to watch the Closing Ceremony?"

Am watching it now..program has been good so far....

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's going all Mad Max

Reply privately

By *andyguy59Man
over a year ago

Gatwick

"I think it will be an interesting talking point in the black community... I think I have seen a couple in the wheelchair basketball.... and one won a bronze in the athletics...

but for a multicultural this county is has been a surprise...!"

You have summed up what I was thinking when I wrote my original post...but didn't write it down...thanks

Reply privately

By *andyguy59Man
over a year ago

Gatwick

"It's going all Mad Max"

I was just about to put the same post...lol

Reply privately