Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Did I just hear right ??

Jump to newest

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHC OP   Couple
over a year ago

horwich

ATOS is a major sponsor of the paralympics ???

That's got to be the biggest whizz take in living history !!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

who?

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

Yep. Went down like a ton of bricks with many competitors - if they get reassessed they'll be unlikely to keep competing

over a year ago

Who is atos?

over a year ago

They are an IT firm. I have a feeling that they are one of the major contractors running the dwp scheme assessing dissability living allowance claims.....Can anyone spot the irony?

over a year ago

ATOS won the the government contract to carry out tests to determine whether claimants of disability living allowance are "fit to work".

over a year ago

"ATOS won the the government contract to carry out tests to determine whether claimants of disability living allowance are "fit to work". "

..... and if you can drag your body to their office and they see you are still breathing they pass you as fit to work and sign you off disability allowance.

By *thwalescplCouple
over a year ago

brecon

You mean like the soldier who, having lost a leg to a mine in Afganistan, has had his benefits cut because they say he's "not disabled enough"?

Pardon me?

How fekkin disabled do you have to be to qualify ffs?

over a year ago

"ATOS won the the government contract to carry out tests to determine whether claimants of disability living allowance are "fit to work". "

That's ok if they are qualified and not some pen pusher that's having a bad day

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

"Who is atos?"

They're the company that's testing incapacity claims, in many instances the tests are concluding that the claimant is now fit for work, where as before they weren't...,

over a year ago

"You mean like the soldier who, having lost a leg to a mine in Afganistan, has had his benefits cut because they say he's "not disabled enough"?

Pardon me?

How fekkin disabled do you have to be to qualify ffs? "

They are the ones! You have cancer? tough! you can walk and lift your arms level with your shoulders, get working skiver.

over a year ago

Might be the first to say this and im sure alot will disagree but most people dont deserve disability allowance. My doctor gave me the choice of beeing off work for life after an accident aged 16. Im still working at 41. My father has been quadraplegic since 18 and worked until he retired at 65 and still supports himself. Im all in favour of the gov cracking down on spongers.

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"Might be the first to say this and im sure alot will disagree but most people dont deserve disability allowance. My doctor gave me the choice of beeing off work for life after an accident aged 16. Im still working at 41. My father has been quadraplegic since 18 and worked until he retired at 65 and still supports himself. Im all in favour of the gov cracking down on spongers. "

Yep I disagree. It's great for you and your Dad, but everyone has different circumstances and to say most people on disability allowance are spongers is unfair.

over a year ago

theres always one ^^^^^^

over a year ago

Usually it's the spongers who know how to use and abuse the system who stay on benefits longer, it is the genuinely deserving who are honest that get punted off.

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"Might be the first to say this and im sure alot will disagree but most people dont deserve disability allowance. My doctor gave me the choice of beeing off work for life after an accident aged 16. Im still working at 41. My father has been quadraplegic since 18 and worked until he retired at 65 and still supports himself. Im all in favour of the gov cracking down on spongers. "

I totally agree with the principles.

I think it is sad when the few incidents of very obviously genuine cases which have been handled badly are talked about as the norm, just as when the very obviously not genuine ones get caught it’s not right to talk about it as if everyone claiming is a work dodging cunt.

I don’t care if we spend more on wars or if the bottles of wine purchased for the House of Lords or as gifts for a foreign dignity cost more than some people are conning the tax payer out of in fraudulent claims.

The system is there for the people who need it…… and there should be no shame involved in that.

It’s the pisstakers who cause the problems, it is they who make the need for crackdowns, it is they who create the reason the negativity and suspicion exists. So yeah… hunt the fuckers down!

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"You mean like the soldier who, having lost a leg to a mine in Afganistan, has had his benefits cut because they say he's "not disabled enough"?

Pardon me?

How fekkin disabled do you have to be to qualify ffs? "

That depends if he was turning down jobs he could do.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

Benefits for the incapacitated, sick and disabled have the lowest level of fraud compared with other benefits.

But there seem to be getting the most aggressive targeting in the drive to reduce the benefits bill.

Many cancer patients are not considered to be incapacitated purely based on whether they are receiving chemo or radiotherapy. One therapy makes you fit the box, the other means that you're not quite as ill...

over a year ago

I cant think of many jobs where having one leg would be a problem. Wheel chairs work well. And if you cant do your chosen job then be more flexible. How about a desk job. Why do people think the world owes them a living!

By *etish fun and frolicsCouple
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I'm not going to get into an argument about it, as there is no argument, you either deserve it or you don't, and i guess the body representing us, decide what criteria that is?

My point is, that they are sponsoring an event that shows the truly remarkable feats that some people with disabilities can achieve. There is irony in what they as an organisation do, but this event does show what can be achieved by some.

Watching these people makes me feel humbled and inadequate, and they leave me in awe of them

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHC OP   Couple
over a year ago

horwich

The original post was not to open up a debate on work shy v genuine needy, but to highlight the irony of a "for profit" company who's sole purpose is to, via bonus related insentives get as many people off health related benefits as possible !

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Atos are a Worldwide Olympic and Paralympic sponsor. They are not just London games sponsors.

That means they come as part of the deal with the Olympics. Nothing could be done about it.

over a year ago

"The original post was not to open up a debate on work shy v genuine needy, but to highlight the irony of a "for profit" company who's sole purpose is to, via bonus related insentives get as many people off health related benefits as possible !

"

Erm, there is no evidence (and both bbc and chanel 4 dug into it) that ATOS have been given performance related bonuses or targets as to the proportion of people to be found capable of work, they have just been given high processing targets for total volume to process. There are very stringent criteria but they have come from dwp and any company bidding would have had to apply those criteria......

As to work shy vs deserving, well with Local Government, the Civil Service and Remploy being the major employers of disabled people and all three of these being slashed people with a different abillity to work arent going to be touched with a barge pole when there are hoards of entirely able bodied workers looking for work........

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Don't see the irony at all....

They sponsoring a group of people that show us having a physical disability doesn't mean you can't live life to the max....

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

"They are an IT firm. I have a feeling that they are one of the major contractors running the dwp scheme assessing dissability living allowance claims.....Can anyone spot the irony? "

No...

Who better to sponsor a group of disabled Olympians than a company that assesses disability benefits?

Being physically disabled shouldn't stop you doing anything.....and that includes working!!

over a year ago

"They are an IT firm. I have a feeling that they are one of the major contractors running the dwp scheme assessing dissability living allowance claims.....Can anyone spot the irony?

No...

Who better to sponsor a group of disabled Olympians than a company that assesses disability benefits?

Being physically disabled shouldn't stop you doing anything.....and that includes working!!

"

Try getting an employer to take the slightest bit of interest in you when you have a variable condition that means one day you can seem fine and can deal with your problems and the next day you can't walk or are falling asleep over your work. I lost a much loved career because of my disability and went to the job centre to seek advice and help about alternative employment..the lady at the job centre basically told me that it wasn't worth sending me for interviews as in reality noone would employ me as my level of absence would be far too high. Despite being told this I had to fight for the benefits I now receive..

It was an NHS ATOS assessment that caused me to have to accept retirement from my nursing job ( they stated I could not work in any occupation) and yet it was ATOS that initially assessed me as fit to work when I first applied for benefits.

over a year ago

"Usually it's the spongers who know how to use and abuse the system who stay on benefits longer, it is the genuinely deserving who are honest that get punted off. "

Post new Message to Thread