Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

the paralympics...

Jump to newest

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I think I asked the say question 24hrs out from the start of the olympics.....

are you looking forward to the paralympics?

have to say I am interested to see what the opening ceremony is going to be like...

actually want to watch the wheelchair basketball and the wheelchair rugby (nicknamed "murderball" for how rough it is...)

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *herry n JonesyCouple
over a year ago

Oxfordshire / Leicester

I am looking forward to the Paralympics.

I have tickets for one of the athletics sessions that I am looking forward to a lot!

More excited about going to that than I was when I saw a couple of things at the Olympics themselves.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes, and like you can;t wait for murder ball.

Also excited about the cycling (obviously) and the marathon. Plus much like the Olympics seeing sports that get nominal normal coverage is great.

over a year ago

I actually prefer the Paralympics, I think the athletes are fantastic. I mean to overcome there disabilities and train as hard as able bodied athletes is an achievement in itself. I think every athlete that takes part is a hero, I for one will be cheering them all on and not just team GB.

over a year ago

yes i'll be watching some of it but i think it should have taking place at the same time as the main olympics just extend it by a week or two to cover it all

over a year ago

Have got tickets for the basketball on thursday, can't wait!!

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

My nephews have murder ball tickets and can't wait.

The reason the Paralympics can't happen immediately after the Olympic Games is because the whole livery has to be changed and some adaptations made. It's amazing how much work has been going on to turn the Park around. London at least designed the accommodation to be used by both sets of athletes without having to modify it.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"yes i'll be watching some of it but i think it should have taking place at the same time as the main olympics just extend it by a week or two to cover it all"

i seem to be in the miority...i think its great that its seperate.

It gives the atheltes a chance to shine on their own. C4 have done a great job promoting the 'superhumas' and we are set to have the most succesful Paralympics ever.

over a year ago

"yes i'll be watching some of it but i think it should have taking place at the same time as the main olympics just extend it by a week or two to cover it all

It gives the atheltes a chance to shine on their own. C4 have done a great job promoting the 'superhumas' and we are set to have the most succesful Paralympics ever."

totally agree wi you and looks like we have a really strong team... I for one cannae wait, been excited about since the olypmics started, go team GB!!!

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Im really looking forward to it ...good luck Team GB

over a year ago

"yes i'll be watching some of it but i think it should have taking place at the same time as the main olympics just extend it by a week or two to cover it all

It gives the atheltes a chance to shine on their own. C4 have done a great job promoting the 'superhumas' and we are set to have the most succesful Paralympics ever."

Totally agree. If the 2 games ran together the harsh reality is that the para-olympics would have been little more than a foot note in the media coverage.

By *imimeeWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

I love that they are getting so much news and air time this time around. It's always been on at an obscure time of night or early morning until now, if indeed there was any coverage at all!

As for "Murderball". I had fingers on both hands broken simultaneously whilst playing it. I can't watch without feeling sick!

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

With the Paralympics coming home it has also ensured that many more people have found out about the work Ludwig Guttman pioneered. The work of Stoke Mandeville and so many of the charities, like Back Up Trust, that help to rehabilitate those with spinal cord injuries and has created a real focus on how people with disabilities are treated in this country.

Each time the Paralympics has been to a host city it has changed perceptions and behaviour there. Athens went from locking people away to die to finding ways to make life more accessible for their disabled.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

oh good, my minority is getting bigger

i also wonder how many people have asked the athletes themselves if they WANT an inclusive games or is it another case of those looking in getting offended on behalf of those living it?

By *tumpy guyMan
over a year ago

dewsbury

im also looking forward to them with interest as im just a resenty a double amputee and would love to train for some kind of sport any one good at coaching ? good luck to all our paralyimpians

x bob

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"im also looking forward to them with interest as im just a resenty a double amputee and would love to train for some kind of sport any one good at coaching ? good luck to all our paralyimpians

x bob"

I'm not sure the world is ready for Paralympic Swinging... yet.

I hope all goes well adjusting after your amputations. If your legs have been left at the same lengths then by all accounts blade running could the thing to take up once you have the strength.

over a year ago

Really looking forward too it, got Wheelchair Rugby tickets which I have heard can be quite eventfull so that should be good

By *tumpy guyMan
over a year ago

dewsbury

"im also looking forward to them with interest as im just a resenty a double amputee and would love to train for some kind of sport any one good at coaching ? good luck to all our paralyimpians

x bob

I'm not sure the world is ready for Paralympic Swinging... yet.

I hope all goes well adjusting after your amputations. If your legs have been left at the same lengths then by all accounts blade running could the thing to take up once you have the strength."

lol thanks my stumps are both more or less the same lenth but unfortunely are too short to have legs or blades just wheelchair lol

x bob

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Yea...

Looking forward to it!

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I have wheelchair basketball tickets, and am desperately trying to get hold of athletic tickets, but to no avail.

Still really looking forward to the events, a lot of which I will watch on TV, probably more so then the Olympics.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

Its a good post Fabio ,to be honest if its on the news or just happens to be on,I do watch it ,but i do not make a conscious decision to put it on if you get my drift.

I think that says more about me than the paralympians ,they all make me feel so humble and that i have no right to moan about trivial problems,also that i am wasting my life,its an uncomfortable feeling tbh partly aspirational ,partly shame.

I have nothing but respect for all participants.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"oh good, my minority is getting bigger

i also wonder how many people have asked the athletes themselves if they WANT an inclusive games or is it another case of those looking in getting offended on behalf of those living it?"

I am registered as disabled and started shooting in the last few months. The games aim to show two main things

1 that you are one of the best at your chosen sport

2 that disability is just another thing to beat.

Good luck to all that are competing, great to show the world that a disability will not stop you being the best you can be.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"oh good, my minority is getting bigger

i also wonder how many people have asked the athletes themselves if they WANT an inclusive games or is it another case of those looking in getting offended on behalf of those living it?

I am registered as disabled and started shooting in the last few months. The games aim to show two main things

1 that you are one of the best at your chosen sport

2 that disability is just another thing to beat.

Good luck to all that are competing, great to show the world that a disability will not stop you being the best you can be. "

Post new Message to Thread