Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Blocked sink?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Been days having a go a this sink in the kitchen .. Not sure what my family has put down . Its ner oven and i think my older son put fat and stuff down there when frying bacon .. must be more then fat as i have put loads of bleach and a tablet i clean disses with and boling water .. in town tomorrow whats best to get ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *abloBackMan
over a year ago

London

Soda crystals and boiling water

By *ild Bill Thickcock.Man
over a year ago

Wet Beaver Creek

ask hubby to take the u bend off and clean it. It's a simple job

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Been days having a go a this sink in the kitchen .. Not sure what my family has put down . Its ner oven and i think my older son put fat and stuff down there when frying bacon .. must be more then fat as i have put loads of bleach and a tablet i clean disses with and boling water .. in town tomorrow whats best to get ?"

A plumber.

over a year ago

Might be a idea to undo the s-bend and see if there is anything there. Try wilkinson as I buy something to make the pipes/drains smell nice; it's crystals but works a treat and is about £3-4 now. Used to use it down the loo when that got blocked as well. Boiling water to get rid of the fat too

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

Sink unblocker that has compressed air can to blow it out or trap p trap apart

over a year ago

"ask hubby to take the u bend off and clean it. It's a simple job"
its full of bleach water i cant get down have taken some out . So bowel under thats if U bend will come off .

over a year ago

I used this on bath, but I'm sure it'll work on kitchen sinks too.

From homebase I bought an aerosol can, specific made for this type problem.

You fill up sink/ bath while this canister is snugly over plug hole, let the water level rise above mark on out side on can. Then place wet clothe over overflow hole, hold it tight and then push down on canister for 1 second.

It shoots a burst of compressed air down the paperwork dislodging everything in its wake. The pressure was that much it pushed my hand off the over flow hole, and I got splattered with gunk - had a right laugh lol

Anyway tubes been good ever since and I think I still have 9 bursts left in can

If only for a laugh, its worth it lol

over a year ago

*pipework

over a year ago

"I used this on bath, but I'm sure it'll work on kitchen sinks too.

From homebase I bought an aerosol can, specific made for this type problem.

You fill up sink/ bath while this canister is snugly over plug hole, let the water level rise above mark on out side on can. Then place wet clothe over overflow hole, hold it tight and then push down on canister for 1 second.

It shoots a burst of compressed air down the paperwork dislodging everything in its wake. The pressure was that much it pushed my hand off the over flow hole, and I got splattered with gunk - had a right laugh lol

Anyway tubes been good ever since and I think I still have 9 bursts left in can

If only for a laugh, its worth it lol"

wow i am there tomorrow i need somthing to sort it out .John getting u bend could be a week before he sorts it . Thanks xx

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I stick my hand flat over the sink hole and plunge and plunge it till it clears, better than a sink plunger.

over a year ago

Try emptying the trap under the sink

By *amslam1000Man
over a year ago

willenhall

if you have any the plastic coated curtain wire with a bend applied to the first inch pushed down hole and turned works wonders and you can attach it to an electric screw driver = home made roto rooter ( dont use a mains electric drill get it wet and bang your dead!!)

you can buy something similar from B&Q costs though

as stated before those air shot things can blow your pipes off

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

put washing up bowl under the u-bend and unscrew and take apart .. its very easy .. woman can do this as well ...lol

then get a wire coathanger and put through the tube to feel what the bockage is. Be careful to note where the washers were located when taking pipes apart though to ensure u get all the seals back in the right place though. Best of luck !

over a year ago

try a plunger

over a year ago

"ask hubby to take the u bend off and clean it. It's a simple job"

Ask hubby ASK HUBBY !!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrr

Why not say have u tried taking u bend off and seeing if there's something clogging it

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

Depends where it's backing up from..can you check your waste drain outside..if you put water down there and it flows at least you know the problem is between there and the sink..all the previous tips would then apply.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Buster Kitchen Drain Clear worked for us, only used it once. Clears fat and other stuff.

Otherwise, post a meet for someone who will do as they're told, possibly a plumber. Then get them dirty - must shower, before any other fun begins, but the graft and ordering around may be enough for some to feel satisfied in pleasing you.

over a year ago

"Buster Kitchen Drain Clear worked for us, only used it once. Clears fat and other stuff.

Otherwise, post a meet for someone who will do as they're told, possibly a plumber. Then get them dirty - must shower, before any other fun begins, but the graft and ordering around may be enough for some to feel satisfied in pleasing you."

why did i not think of that ... Had this block all weekend xx could have done like you said made it a sexy swing date , lol xx fix my block and i will pay with me body , lol

over a year ago

"Depends where it's backing up from..can you check your waste drain outside..if you put water down there and it flows at least you know the problem is between there and the sink..all the previous tips would then apply."
i will look xx

over a year ago

At the pub where I work, the plug is a long tube and when it gets blocked, they stick the plug in and blow hard, that soon dislodges it, there is no over flow so no chance of getting covered in gunk

By *smCouple
over a year ago

Liskeard

ok the solution is simple.. bacarb and vinger... take as much of the water out of the sink as you can, till the sink is empty. tip Bicarb in to the drainage hole. filling up the space, then carefully pour viniger onto the bicarb, stand back and let it fizz till all gone. this should clear any blockages.. x

By *randmrssmithMan
over a year ago

london

Once in a while pour some washing up liquid down the sink leave for about 30seconds then pour down a kettle full of how water

over a year ago

Most likely to be the trap under the sink, but if you've been putting grease down the drain it could also be blocked further into the main drain. is everything else running away properly ??

Grease is the worst possible thing to put into the drains, it even makes clearing them out with draining rods difficult.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

Undo the u-bend as mentioned. Failing that then caustic soda is very good but needs to be handled with care due to its corrosive nature, so wear goggles and gloves if you do use it.

over a year ago

"Undo the u-bend as mentioned. Failing that then caustic soda is very good but needs to be handled with care due to its corrosive nature, so wear goggles and gloves if you do use it."
well i cant get U bend off so something like thats may have to be put down. Going to homebase tomorrow hope thay have somthing as sinks still full of water and bleach .

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"Undo the u-bend as mentioned. Failing that then caustic soda is very good but needs to be handled with care due to its corrosive nature, so wear goggles and gloves if you do use it. well i cant get U bend off so something like thats may have to be put down. Going to homebase tomorrow hope thay have somthing as sinks still full of water and bleach ."

See if they have one of those things to open jam jars, those rubber strap on a handle things. They should help you undo the trap as they grip the part you need to undo better and give you a little more leverage. Bail out as much water from the sink as you can first though! Fourtunately I can get to both ends of my sink waste pipe and I can remove a bend and put an old fashioned boiler flue brush into the pipe to clean it out!

over a year ago

" blow your pipes off "

love it!

over a year ago

"Been days having a go a this sink in the kitchen .. Not sure what my family has put down . Its ner oven and i think my older son put fat and stuff down there when frying bacon .. must be more then fat as i have put loads of bleach and a tablet i clean disses with and boling water .. in town tomorrow whats best to get ?"

Plumbers aren't always pricey if you are worried about cost. Best bet is to contact one and get a quote. If its not a rush job and they can fit you in while in the area it can be as little as £50.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Fill the sink up with kettles and saucepans of boiling water....has to be as hot as you can get it.

Leave it overnight

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

A plunger!!!!

By *hynottsCouple
over a year ago

nottingham

try prune jucie works on the wife lol

im bad no take off the u bend sum times there is a drain plug on the bottem of the u bend our poor costic sodea down the plug hole will react with the water gets hot and burns away the blockage

over a year ago

Ideally you need to get the trap of, check outside where it goes into the drain, failing that costic soda should clear it but as stated be carefull of the fumes, if i was closer i would of done it for you free..)

over a year ago

"Ideally you need to get the trap of, check outside where it goes into the drain, failing that costic soda should clear it but as stated be carefull of the fumes, if i was closer i would of done it for you free..)

"

I got some stuff today put down still blocked .. not sure whats down there its not moving ,

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Ideally you need to get the trap of, check outside where it goes into the drain, failing that costic soda should clear it but as stated be carefull of the fumes, if i was closer i would of done it for you free..)

I got some stuff today put down still blocked .. not sure whats down there its not moving , "

cant john have a look at it or your son

over a year ago

I got some stuff today put down still blocked .. not sure whats down there its not moving ,

cant john have a look at it or your son"

Because i have two sinks thay think they can put of sorting it ... i think that's why ... john looked at U bend say not easy to get off is going to look at pips out side and its as far as i have got , and away next 4 days horse show bet it will be like it when i get home . lol if all fail i will get person in .

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

I got some stuff today put down still blocked .. not sure whats down there its not moving , "

If you get really desperate Jo, I'm very good with my plunger.

xxx

over a year ago

If you get really desperate Jo, I'm very good with my plunger.

xxx"

if you was local i would ask you to look at my U bend , lol god knows what it is .. fat and stuff would have gone days ago ... only small holes so cant be nothing big .

Post new Message to Thread