FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Where are people buying cute plus size clothes?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I'm sick to the back teeth of returning parcels!!! Thought the time had finally come to buy cute clothes for the first time since my 5 stone weight loss (as I've got a lot more to lose I thought there wasn't much point buying but I'm sick of wearing baggy clothes now). I was super excited but honestly everything looks like a massive pile of shit on me lately!!!!

I feel like I'm inbetween sizes so a 22 will be too tight but a 24 will be humongous. And today I got a size 26 dress from PLT (regular fit - not bodycon) that made me look like a sausage bursting out of its skin?! #standardisewomenssizes!!!!

Plus I think my fat distribution has changed?! My stomach now seems so big compared to the rest of my body and it tends to stick out in these new clothes, which I don't like - when I'm in public I usually wear clothes that skim over my body and don't cling to anything (apart from skinny jeans and leggings/tights).

I've tried the usual culprits - PLT, ASOS, BooHoo but with high street brands it's like they just take whatever looks good on the slim models and size it up, without paying consideration to the fact that plus size women have a large variety of shapes and/or body parts that they like to cover up or show off. Even the plus size models they use have absolutely gorgeous thick bodies, but always with flat bloody stomachs. It's impossible trying to work out what something is going to look like on my body type !!

I've got a massive parcel from Shein on the way but honestly I've got major anxiety about trying it on and being reminded that I still look like a mushy turd

Anyone know anywhere else that has trendy younger fashion for plus sizers?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I shop maybell lady plus, michelle's curvy boutique, wardrobe plus..all on Facebook and while based in Ireland, they post to UK..even to watch a few of their videos will give you ideas of what shapes will suit..im an 18/20 and given up trying to buy off the hight Street a year ago..have a fab wardrobe now of clothes that actually fit the curvy girl..hope it helps x

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

They're not cheap, but Lady V London have a section that start at size 14 or 16 (I think they go up to 32?) so definitely not modelled on a size 8 who's 6 foot tall sort of thing

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

Amazon is actually a good go to for me.... and then see if you can find the brand's own website as sometimes it is cheaper.

One thing I would say is the best thing you can do is measure yourself and always check the sizing chart. They're usually pretty accurate.

over a year ago

My go to clothes shop at the moment is “Yours” , great sizing and a lovely range of clothes to mail order as well as high street stores to actually see the stuff. Can highly recommended them x

over a year ago

Honestly most of my wardrobe at the moment is from Shein curve and it all fits so well and looks great. So fingers crossed you are happy with what you get.

I follow a woman on Insta and her username is jessontheplussize and she is around a 24/26 and she has so many gorgeous outfit. She's honestly so lovely and will give you some inspiration.

Well done on your weight loss!! Keep going girl!!

over a year ago

"I shop maybell lady plus, michelle's curvy boutique, wardrobe plus..all on Facebook and while based in Ireland, they post to UK..even to watch a few of their videos will give you ideas of what shapes will suit..im an 18/20 and given up trying to buy off the hight Street a year ago..have a fab wardrobe now of clothes that actually fit the curvy girl..hope it helps x"

I haven't heard of these! Will check them out thank you xx

over a year ago

"They're not cheap, but Lady V London have a section that start at size 14 or 16 (I think they go up to 32?) so definitely not modelled on a size 8 who's 6 foot tall sort of thing"

Sounds great! Will have a look

over a year ago

"Amazon is actually a good go to for me.... and then see if you can find the brand's own website as sometimes it is cheaper.

One thing I would say is the best thing you can do is measure yourself and always check the sizing chart. They're usually pretty accurate."

I've seen a few nice things on amazon but you have to pay for returns with them, so I'm always scared about sizing/quality etc

over a year ago

"My go to clothes shop at the moment is “Yours” , great sizing and a lovely range of clothes to mail order as well as high street stores to actually see the stuff. Can highly recommended them x"

I do have a few bits from Yours but I feel like for my taste they're more kind of work/casual clothing. They don't really have too much that I could wear on a night out (to pull, obvs )

over a year ago

Curve by Very?

over a year ago

"Honestly most of my wardrobe at the moment is from Shein curve and it all fits so well and looks great. So fingers crossed you are happy with what you get.

I follow a woman on Insta and her username is jessontheplussize and she is around a 24/26 and she has so many gorgeous outfit. She's honestly so lovely and will give you some inspiration.

Well done on your weight loss!! Keep going girl!! "

Thank you!!!

Yeah I finally took the plunge with shein, was always scared to because they're a Chinese company and their sizes are usually very conservative.

I saw some really lovely things on there, just conscious that a lot of it was 100% polyester- which will turn me into an absolute sweaty melt in this heat!! But they have gorgeous lingerie though if this lot fits I'm definitely treating myself

Also with plus size bloggers, a lot of them are way more comfortable wearing tight clothes than I am...

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Good question OP and I’m enjoying the answers. Simply Be is another place that just upsizes trendy rubbish.

Or it’s great big prints on tent shapes

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I’m also nervous of the Chinese sites as they have so many bad reviews.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I'll second lady V had some dresses when I was a size 20 think hell bunny do plus sizes too.

My stomach sticks out as is what I'm most conscious about. I found dresses that fit and flare and you can cinch in with a belt are good when loosing weight. So you can make the dress look good even when you've lost weight.

Shein some of my lingerie is from there and it's been fine.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I'll second lady V had some dresses when I was a size 20 think hell bunny do plus sizes too.

My stomach sticks out as is what I'm most conscious about. I found dresses that fit and flare and you can cinch in with a belt are good when loosing weight. So you can make the dress look good even when you've lost weight.

Shein some of my lingerie is from there and it's been fine. "

My swing dresses are definitely quite flexible with my body fluctuations

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"I'll second lady V had some dresses when I was a size 20 think hell bunny do plus sizes too.

My swing dresses are definitely quite flexible with my body fluctuations"

Same swing, they're a really good option when you're fluctuating in size.

over a year ago

My swing dresses are definitely quite flexible with my body fluctuations"

I used to wear swing slip style dresses a lot when I was younger (and my stomach was flatter) as they are very forgiving and made my boobs look amazing... Long gone are those days my stomach sticks out so much now that from the side I look like two mounds under a tarp

over a year ago

Shein some of my lingerie is from there and it's been fine. "

Dresses that cinch at the waist make me look pregnant the seam kind of sits on top of my stomach and juts out lol.

I think I'll just give up at this point - lord knows how I ever used to be able to find clothes!

over a year ago

Also just had a look at Lady V. Their stuff is like 1950s pin-up style right? It's pretty but it's not really my personal style xx

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"Also just had a look at Lady V. Their stuff is like 1950s pin-up style right? It's pretty but it's not really my personal style xx"

I looked as well but it’s too flowery for me.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I’ve found that if you search for Italian clothing on Amazon or eBay there can be some nice things

By *irginieWoman
over a year ago

Near Marlborough

Try neverfullydressed. Not a huge range but some nice things.

V x

over a year ago

"Try neverfullydressed. Not a huge range but some nice things.

V x "

These prices

I'm just a poor millennial trying to save up for avocado sourdough toast and a one bed starter home plssss

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

Another vote for shein... Sizings can be hit and miss but I got some lovely bits from there last summer x

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

Check out the independents that do shows on Facebook and Instagram OP. There are some ace ones that do regular lives where they show the clothes on. They also focus on free size stuff that fits a range of sizes. I refuse to buy stuff that’s a specific size now because they’re all too different and it’s impossible to guess. Lots of these smaller companies have groups where other ladies post pics wearing the clothes so you can really see how things fit on all different shapes. LJs Boutique is a good one my friend uses. It’s good value and quality.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Lagenlook clothing isn’t too expensive

By *irginieWoman
over a year ago

Near Marlborough

Yeah I know. But they are lovely. Look on de bop or eBay. They hold a good price even there

over a year ago

"Another vote for shein... Sizings can be hit and miss but I got some lovely bits from there last summer x"

Good to hear! What was quality like?

over a year ago

"Check out the independents that do shows on Facebook and Instagram OP. There are some ace ones that do regular lives where they show the clothes on. They also focus on free size stuff that fits a range of sizes. I refuse to buy stuff that’s a specific size now because they’re all too different and it’s impossible to guess. Lots of these smaller companies have groups where other ladies post pics wearing the clothes so you can really see how things fit on all different shapes. LJs Boutique is a good one my friend uses. It’s good value and quality. "

I hadn't thought of that! I don't use Facebook but will try to find something like this on insta

over a year ago

"Lagenlook clothing isn’t too expensive "

Looks very flowy! Little bit plain for my taste though, I'm looking more for stuff I can wear to bars/nightclubs xx

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

On Amazon the reviews tell you if things come up to size.

Problem is when one isn’t a proper size. I wear 18 leggings but need a bigger size if anything isn’t stretchy

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

"Check out the independents that do shows on Facebook and Instagram OP. There are some ace ones that do regular lives where they show the clothes on. They also focus on free size stuff that fits a range of sizes. I refuse to buy stuff that’s a specific size now because they’re all too different and it’s impossible to guess. Lots of these smaller companies have groups where other ladies post pics wearing the clothes so you can really see how things fit on all different shapes. LJs Boutique is a good one my friend uses. It’s good value and quality.

I hadn't thought of that! I don't use Facebook but will try to find something like this on insta "

It’s ace seeing them modelled by fuller figures it’s how I choose what would suit my figure.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"Lagenlook clothing isn’t too expensive

Looks very flowy! Little bit plain for my taste though, I'm looking more for stuff I can wear to bars/nightclubs xx"

Ahh, try Simply Be if you don’t mind wearing black

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"It’s ace seeing them modelled by fuller figures it’s how I choose what would suit my figure. "

True

over a year ago

"Lagenlook clothing isn’t too expensive

Looks very flowy! Little bit plain for my taste though, I'm looking more for stuff I can wear to bars/nightclubs xx

Ahh, try Simply Be if you don’t mind wearing black "

Haha I like them for lingerie and sometimes footwear. I find their clothing a little bit too demure for me though. Also I feel like it's quite overpriced for the quality, unless you get it in the sales. I have the same problem with Yours; I remember shelling out £30+ for a pair of simple sandals and they were so cheaply made, they had a really strong smell of Styrofoam and plastic I do have a few tops from there that I wear for work though.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Another thing to remember OP is that, contrary to what your head tells you, closer fitting clothes can make you look slimmer than baggy ones. Took me many years to believe that

And if a piec of clothing feels good on it will look good on because you feel good in it

over a year ago

"Another thing to remember OP is that, contrary to what your head tells you, closer fitting clothes can make you look slimmer than baggy ones. Took me many years to believe that

And if a piec of clothing feels good on it will look good on because you feel good in it "

This deffinately

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"Haha I like them for lingerie and sometimes footwear. I find their clothing a little bit too demure for me though. Also I feel like it's quite overpriced for the quality, unless you get it in the sales. I have the same problem with Yours; I remember shelling out £30+ for a pair of simple sandals and they were so cheaply made, they had a really strong smell of Styrofoam and plastic I do have a few tops from there that I wear for work though. "

You’re right, always but from the sake section

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

I’ve had some good stuff from Asda if all places too

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

*sale

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Have you checked out river island OP? They have a decent online store

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

Don't know what your style is, but Kates Clothing have a plus size range, and they show plus size models wearing them, so you get an idea of what they look like.

over a year ago

"Have you checked out river island OP? They have a decent online store "

I love River Island but can't justify paying their prices for clothes I might only wear one summer. I know the quality is definitely worth it though!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/07/21 20:37:22]

over a year ago

"Don't know what your style is, but Kates Clothing have a plus size range, and they show plus size models wearing them, so you get an idea of what they look like."

My style is basically whatever isn't super short/super tight on Pretty Little Thing

over a year ago

Karen Millen have a curve range and the sale is on at the moment

Or Shein

over a year ago

"Karen Millen have a curve range and the sale is on at the moment

Or Shein "

I'm so glad I give off the impression that I'm rich and successful

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Or Shein

I'm so glad I give off the impression that I'm rich and successful "

Facebook marketplace then

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

Karen Millen's Curve range is brilliant for work wear. H and M do a good Curve range, Asos can be good but it's about rediscovering your shape and size and what you're comfortable with. Mango do a good plus size range of beautiful dresses. There's also a brand called Lovedrobe who do some lovely pieces and Inthestyle but they have a limited selection.

I've had quite a bit of luck with PLT and Missguided but I tend to go for tighter fitting midi dresses. I can be anything from a size 18 to a 22 depending on bust fit.

Good luck OP, it really is about trying on various things. Also make sure you have a good bra! Decent scaffolding can transform your shape.

over a year ago

Or Shein

I'm so glad I give off the impression that I'm rich and successful "

It's no more expensive than other stores are now , have a look you may be surprised

over a year ago

I just bought some clothes for a women so she could feel better about herself.

You don't get a lot for £500

over a year ago

"Karen Millen's Curve range is brilliant for work wear. H and M do a good Curve range, Asos can be good but it's about rediscovering your shape and size and what you're comfortable with. Mango do a good plus size range of beautiful dresses. There's also a brand called Lovedrobe who do some lovely pieces and Inthestyle but they have a limited selection.

I've had quite a bit of luck with PLT and Missguided but I tend to go for tighter fitting midi dresses. I can be anything from a size 18 to a 22 depending on bust fit.

Good luck OP, it really is about trying on various things. Also make sure you have a good bra! Decent scaffolding can transform your shape."

Some great suggestions here, thank you lovely

Yeah I could definitely do with some new bras, my boobs have taken quite the battering!

over a year ago

Good foundation underwear is a must...holds everything in but dont skimp on the price as with such items you really do get what you pay for,smooths lumps and bumps out ect so that clothes sit better.x

By *xfordshireCoupleMFCouple
over a year ago

Nr. Oxford

As a plus size female can I recommend a YouTube lady called Youpenga, she is a size 22-24 and has a slightly bigger belly and hip ratio. I watch her videos as they give a more realistic view of what certain clothes look like. She covers a range of brands as well.

Lily

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

Torrid is a US brand but do some great quirky stuff for nights out. I think last time I looked the shipping costs were bloody awful, but you can pick up their sale stuff on eBay at times so I tend to keep an eye out for it.

Is there a tailor close to you? I have a lot of issues getting suits for work, so I'd buy some in good fabric that fit my biggest bits, then I'd get a tailor to... well, tailor them. It made a huge amount of difference and would make a £200 trouser suit look like I'd paid £2k for it. A shift dress is a lot easier to tailor to fit than you'd think, but there is a cost associated that will depend on the complexity and the fabric.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

"Another vote for shein... Sizings can be hit and miss but I got some lovely bits from there last summer x

Good to hear! What was quality like? "

I bought 5 dresses last week off Shein. One was lovely, gorgeous fabric and worth the cost of the entire shipment. One is OK for round the flat but I wouldn't wear it outside. One is going straight to a chazza, and the remaining two just need small alterations to be wearable for work or casual (not dressy dresses).

I like that so many of the reviews give height and weight and size bought, so I can get an idea of any problem areas before I buy.

over a year ago

I buy a lot from apricot and quiz. Most of their plus size stuff is online only rather than in store but I've never had a problem with sizing.

over a year ago

Before I was pregnant most of my wardrobe was from ASOS. New look. River island. Simply be. Hell bunny. I can’t wait to get back into some clothes that are not just a sack

over a year ago

"I buy a lot from apricot and quiz. Most of their plus size stuff is online only rather than in store but I've never had a problem with sizing. "

I hate not being to try things on when you shop online, but then very few places on the physical high street have plus sizes

over a year ago

"Before I was pregnant most of my wardrobe was from ASOS. New look. River island. Simply be. Hell bunny. I can’t wait to get back into some clothes that are not just a sack "

Ooh New Look, there's a shout! Haven't looked at them in a while.

Haha aww bless, I'm excited for you too

By *aeganaWoman
over a year ago

birmingham

I'm a emp girl love there stuff more alternative range for the bigger girl x

By *toC Thats MeWoman
over a year ago

Sheffield

I tend to stick to PLT, ASOS, nasty gal, boohoo, Missguided. Dorothy Perkins do decent jeans and jeggings but find the rest of the stuff pretty work like attire. Primark and Asda have some really nice bits and affordable and go upto 22/24. X

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

There are a few shops mentioned that I’d not heard of but on looking have some lovely pieces

over a year ago

"I tend to stick to PLT, ASOS, nasty gal, boohoo, Missguided. Dorothy Perkins do decent jeans and jeggings but find the rest of the stuff pretty work like attire. Primark and Asda have some really nice bits and affordable and go upto 22/24. X"

Me and you shop in the same places! I use DP for bottoms too, their jeggings fit really nicely but agree the rest of their stuff would only really be suitable for work.

Not been in a Primark for years (just the thought gives me anxiety lol) but funnily enough I popped in to Asda last night for a food shop and remembered Kinky Minx saying they had nice stuff. I took a chance on a pretty floral smock top and it fits perfectly! Only £12 too, bargain. Happy Amber

over a year ago

"I tend to stick to PLT, ASOS, nasty gal, boohoo, Missguided. Dorothy Perkins do decent jeans and jeggings but find the rest of the stuff pretty work like attire. Primark and Asda have some really nice bits and affordable and go upto 22/24. X

Me and you shop in the same places! I use DP for bottoms too, their jeggings fit really nicely but agree the rest of their stuff would only really be suitable for work.

Not been in a Primark for years (just the thought gives me anxiety lol) but funnily enough I popped in to Asda last night for a food shop and remembered Kinky Minx saying they had nice stuff. I took a chance on a pretty floral smock top and it fits perfectly! Only £12 too, bargain. Happy Amber "

Iv brought some lovely dresses in Asda.

By *allyCD123TV/TS
over a year ago

Wexford

Taking notes of all these place hope ye dont mind

Post new Message to Thread