Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

help ! im no Delia Smith

Jump to newest

By *reelove1969 OP   Couple
over a year ago

bristol

me blokes asked me to make him a lamb casserole and ive got everything i need except the lamb casserole sauce.. a bloke in the butchers suggested i use a colmans shepherd pie mix which the butcher had on his shelf as he said this would do the same job .. does this make sense or was he nuts ???

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"me blokes asked me to make him a lamb casserole and ive got everything i need except the lamb casserole sauce.. a bloke in the butchers suggested i use a colmans shepherd pie mix which the butcher had on his shelf as he said this would do the same job .. does this make sense or was he nuts ???"

Baaa i dunno

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

No it will do the same job... Or you can get some veggies..some lamb stock put it in the casserole dish with the lamb.. If its a bit runny add some milk and flour paste or some corn flour and a bit of mint sauce...

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"No it will do the same job... Or you can get some veggies..some lamb stock put it in the casserole dish with the lamb.. If its a bit runny add some milk and flour paste or some corn flour and a bit of mint sauce..."

After you have cooked it of course..haha

By *ooking to lickCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

That will work just the same or you could try maling your own. Its only stock and herbs.

over a year ago

put a beef oxo into the mix and cook for an hour longer..... I also always splash a little dark soy sauce into cassaroles as it improves the flavour and colour........

over a year ago

Just buy a good quality fresh lamb stock from the supermarket.Dont use powder pie mix it would be horrible.

If you cant get the fresh stock use a few of those knorr stockpots, they are pretty good.

By *exki11enWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

Flash fry the lamb with onions until browned in a pan, when nearly browned all over, add a good spoonful of plain flour and stir in. Transfer contents to a casserole dish (slow cooker even better if you have one)

Add potatoes, carrots, parsnip, swede, any root veg you like, cubed then cover with a couple of pints of water, a couple of stock cubes (lamb best but beef ok if you only have them) add a dash of worcester sauce, sprinkle of salt & pepper and a couple of bay leaves.

A splash of red wine or red wine vinegasr would go well or a dash of mint sauce if you'd prefer.

Cook long & slow and enjoy!

By *reelove1969 OP   Couple
over a year ago

bristol

wow guys some amazing tips there .. thanks eva so much !!

cant believe everyone else is so clever in the kitchen but thanks for sharing !

Post new Message to Thread