Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

deaf pets

Jump to newest

By *els_Bells OP   Woman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

Has anyone got a deaf pet?

Sorry for being so random, but Im a bit gutted after taking my princess the vets.

(She's a dog btw) she has got an ear infection and i was told that if it hasnt cleared up properly in a week she will need an op, which is very painful and would 90% likely to leave her deaf.

I am devestated for her, and havent a clue on how it will affect her (other than being deaf) so would be grateful for any help or suggestions.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i had a white boxer for 12 years that was deaf, i was told its very common in white dogs

Didnt bother him at all he lead a very happy life regardless

By *erkshireMan123Man
over a year ago

Devizes

i dont.. lucky my cat is is in good health.. its actually quite common for white cats to end up deaf though.

poor u xxx

By *els_Bells OP   Woman
over a year ago

Its just the whole IF she becomes deaf, what will it do to her etc.

She is still like a puppy at near 10 years old, i dont want her in pain or unhappy, thats why Im so upset about it

over a year ago

"Its just the whole IF she becomes deaf, what will it do to her etc.

She is still like a puppy at near 10 years old, i dont want her in pain or unhappy, thats why Im so upset about it"

its really wont bother her dogs adapt very easy, my brother had a dog that lost its back leg and was up and running about within a couple of days, animals just get on with things and dont mope about like us humans

Seriously loosing her hearing wont effect her at all, my dog was perfectly happy regardless of being deaf x

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Losing its hearing may feel strange at first to the woofer but they get used to it....

By *els_Bells OP   Woman
over a year ago

She is still like a puppy at near 10 years old, i dont want her in pain or unhappy, thats why Im so upset about it

its really wont bother her dogs adapt very easy, my brother had a dog that lost its back leg and was up and running about within a couple of days, animals just get on with things and dont mope about like us humans

Seriously loosing her hearing wont effect her at all, my dog was perfectly happy regardless of being deaf x"

Thank you. I hope she'll be ok. Its cos she's my baby, daft I know.

Thanks again x

By *aceytopWoman
over a year ago

from a town near you

my Dog must be deaf cos he doesnt take a bit of notice when i call him back

seriously though they just adapt and get on with it

By *els_Bells OP   Woman
over a year ago

"my Dog must be deaf cos he doesnt take a bit of notice when i call him back

seriously though they just adapt and get on with it "

Mine is very stubborn and a right diva anyway. Hoping she will just get back to her pampered ways again soon, dont like her being sad

over a year ago

Seriously loosing her hearing wont effect her at all, my dog was perfectly happy regardless of being deaf x

Thank you. I hope she'll be ok. Its cos she's my baby, daft I know.

Thanks again x"

its not daft at all, im having some problems with my dog at the moment and ive found it very upsetting over the past few weeks

They become part of your family amd you want the best for them

All you can do is put you trust in your vet and do your best for them x

over a year ago

We have got a slightly brain damaged rotty , who although not deaf she OS a bit blind. She OS fine but having a ten stone dog lying on your lap 'cos she thinks she is about 8 month old is a pain. But I love my panzer.

over a year ago

Sorry for the OS. My phone is confusing it with is

By *els_Bells OP   Woman
over a year ago

Thanks all. She's feeling all sorry for herself today so going to give her lots of treats n play time and a whole lot of love

Fingers crossed she'll be ok x

over a year ago

At least your dog lets a vet near her.

It's a far different story with The Hound of the Bussyvilles.

No way is any vet getting near him if he can help it.

My last visit resulted in me be told that I would have to sedate him myself (under their instruction).

This was after we had tried two muzzles, both of which he got off.

He does not like vets !

over a year ago

Animals are unbelievably resiliant and adaptable. You will be surprised how quickly they can adjust. The key will be time and patience. Don't be afraid to pester your vet for advice. Your dog can still live a very happy and comfortable life, it is a minor handicap if dealt with properly. I hope it works out and your dog is healthy in all other regards. xx

Post new Message to Thread