Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Intelligence or common sense

Jump to newest

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

Morning all I would say common sense has got me through life not intelligence a lot of people I know have great intelligence but no common sense which is the better

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Both have their place.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"Both have their place. "

I was trying to think of how to word a reply, and you do it in four words in a split second

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

I don't think there is such a gap between intelligence and common sense, it's like the idea that all attractive people are dicks because you can't possibly possess more than one good trait.

Both (and yes, I know intelligence can mean academic, emotional etc) are good to have.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Both have their place.

I was trying to think of how to word a reply, and you do it in four words in a split second "

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

I firmly believe there is no such thing as common sense, so it’s intelligence for me!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Both have their place. "

+1

I suspect you’ll come a cropper sooner with a lack of common sense over lack of intelligence, but as rightly said, there’s a time and place for each.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I don't think there is such a gap between intelligence and common sense, it's like the idea that all attractive people are dicks because you can't possibly possess more than one good trait.

Both (and yes, I know intelligence can mean academic, emotional etc) are good to have. "

I've been noticing the all attractive people are dicks stereotype more and more lately.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Common sense all the way! And a life knowledge x

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"Common sense all the way! And a life knowledge x "
Morning Candy yes life knowledge that is a great quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Both are good

Common sense is great and is equally and quite widely distributed between the intelligent and not so intelligent people of this world

over a year ago

One and the same I believe, perfect example is at work.. common theme is the higher you go the less common sense you have, when in fact it’s more likely that the higher you go the bigger picture you have and don’t solely focus on that bubble which staff believe they posses the common sense.

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

The intelligence v common sense debate is a cliché.

Both are on a continuum, a spectrum and are correlated, linked together.

Highly intelligent people learn very rapidly and therefore quickly realise the concept of common sense.

Those with very low levels of common sense do not learn rapidly.

To state that some people with high intelligence have low levels of common sense is usually used an inaccurate putdown, that arises from envy, or jealousy.

Those with modest levels of intelligence, which is the vast majority of people on the famous bell curve eventually realise what works, but not as rapidly, accurately or comprehensively as those in the uppermost percentile, to the extreme right on this curve.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"Common sense all the way! And a life knowledge x Morning Candy yes life knowledge that is a great quote "

I often spout it to my kids! They poo poo it though lol! One daughter in particular is very intelligent but has not a clue of life skills x

over a year ago

I've been told on occasion I'm the type of person that's touch a frying pan to see if hot enough to cook on

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

Just popping my geek head on for a minute ....

In role playing games you often have two stats, intelligence and wisdom.

Though not mutually exclusive, intelligence was the domain of mages, and wisdom of clerics.

Being intelligent may not mean you're wise, and wisdom does not necessarily mean you are intelligent

over a year ago

"I've been told on occasion I'm the type of person that's touch a frying pan to see if hot enough to cook on "

I cut through the cord of an electric lawn mower once. Picked up the live end and thought 'what would happen ... ?' Luckily I only got a brief tingly jolt but it was an experience.

over a year ago

"I've been told on occasion I'm the type of person that's touch a frying pan to see if hot enough to cook on

I cut through the cord of an electric lawn mower once. Picked up the live end and thought 'what would happen ... ?' Luckily I only got a brief tingly jolt but it was an experience."

now, I've done something similar with cutting through electrical wire, didn't pick it up though. Had the common sense to get the Mrs to do that part

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

What on earth does common sense mean? Surely it's just another type of intelligence.

over a year ago

"I've been told on occasion I'm the type of person that's touch a frying pan to see if hot enough to cook on

I cut through the cord of an electric lawn mower once. Picked up the live end and thought 'what would happen ... ?' Luckily I only got a brief tingly jolt but it was an experience.

now, I've done something similar with cutting through electrical wire, didn't pick it up though. Had the common sense to get the Mrs to do that part "

I just had the urge to do it

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

"I've been told on occasion I'm the type of person that's touch a frying pan to see if hot enough to cook on "

Is that not how you're meant to do it?

over a year ago

"What on earth does common sense mean? Surely it's just another type of intelligence. "

This for me. It’s just intelligence applied to everyday, practical situations.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

If you want to separate the two I guess I'm blessed as I have both

But to me common sense is nothing more than applying the knowledge you have gained. Just the levels of application vary from person to person, if a surgeon comes across something unusual mid surgery they use their common sense to resolve the issue. Same as someone avoiding a road accident. It's just a matter of what your brain is trained do to most. People should value all types of intelligence and stop trying to make out you can only have one or the other.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Sometimes I have both sometimes I have neither, depends on my mood at the time tbh

By *itvclaireTV/TS
over a year ago

Birmingham

The two are different and I know people with a very high IQ, but little common sense.

XX

By *eductiveEyesKillerThighsWoman
over a year ago

Nowhere & Everywhere

Personally I think they are one of the same...

Intellect on the other hand... I've always found those folk severely lacking any common sense or general day to day skills!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"The two are different and I know people with a very high IQ, but little common sense.

XX"

I know people with very low IQ but little common sense

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

Intelligence is what's got me through life successfully. Especially the Intelligence to think ahead and calculate the consequences of actions and thus chart my path accordingly. Be that playing a game of chess or cutting some wood. Maybe some would say that is common sense, I'd say that just the capacity to think. And of course as you gain experience in life you take that on board too and that also aids your ability.

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

I’ve never considered myself intelligent, but I have got common sense. I’ve met plenty who are far more intelligent than me who don’t have much common sense.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

"The two are different and I know people with a very high IQ, but little common sense.

XX

I know people with very low IQ but little common sense"

Haha quite so. The absent minded professor is such a stereo type.

By *he AmbassadorMan
over a year ago

IRLANDA. / Prague. / Cil Dara

Equal amounts of both with a dash of Ballz and a lot of luck

By *batMan
over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

Common Sense is a misnomer. It's actually not that common!

Gbat

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"Intelligence is what's got me through life successfully. Especially the Intelligence to think ahead and calculate the consequences of actions and thus chart my path accordingly. Be that playing a game of chess or cutting some wood. Maybe some would say that is common sense, I'd say that just the capacity to think. And of course as you gain experience in life you take that on board too and that also aids your ability."

I'm thick as but can do all those things successfully x

over a year ago

Common sense every time. Ive met some seriously intelligent people who have done very silly things (like electrocuted themselves!!) Because the have no common sense

By *ublinGirl92Woman
over a year ago

Hell

Without intelligence common sense is limited.

By *he Mac LassWoman
over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

My common sense has taught me that intelligence is important. I have developed a zest for learning over the years and I believe you can attune any brain to intelligence with the right tools. Common sense is attuned from the tools experience.

over a year ago

I'd define common sense as the ability to live life and get by productively and harmoniously, and intelligence as the ability to learn and adapt and improvise to changing circumstances.

Neither relates much to academic achievement, book learning or qualifications. I've known people whose CV suggests they're dumb as a rock but who are capable, pleasant humans, and a few with a list of qualifications longer than most arms who I'd regard as stupid and incompetent at most things.

Post new Message to Thread