Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Serious thread about new car laws

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Not very often I'm serious, but just found out about something that will put everyone who owns cars and some bikes etc .

There are some new laws coming in that will put companies out of business and anyone with a custom vehicle without a valid mot.

If you google the-ace the association of car enthusiasts there is all the info you need to know.

Please take the time to read it as it will affect nearly all of us.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

too lazy .. will wait for someone else to check it out and ask them for the bones of it !!

over a year ago

"too lazy .. will wait for someone else to check it out and ask them for the bones of it !! "

Come mot time, even if you have non factory wheels on your motor you could get refused an mot.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What sort of wheels are you meant to have? Lol :P

over a year ago

been a dodgy thing for years

for many years if you changed your wheels and had a crash i could void your insurance

when you look for a new quote for insurance they do ask you if any mods have been done but how many say yes ,,,, you know if you do it will cost more lol

over a year ago

"What sort of wheels are you meant to have? Lol :P "

Standard factory wheels, standard factory car or no mot.

Sounds far fetched but take a look.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

wheres the bit about tyres?

all i am seeing is things about modifying cars with tints and head lights etc

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/08/12 20:42:55]

over a year ago

"What sort of wheels are you meant to have? Lol :P

Standard factory wheels, standard factory car or no mot.

Sounds far fetched but take a look."

S'ok then..mine are the same wheels from when i bought it new. lol

over a year ago

What it means, in short, is that any modified car will need to have the Single Type Approval test which is required for all 'Kit Cars' (self-builds).

I can see what it is trying to do - and unfortunately, among others, you have the souped-up Nova/Corsa/Citroen brigade (etc) to thank for it.

Oh well, one of way of mopping up the unemployed as they will need 100's of Inspectors as testing stations to test all the cars that will come under it.

To be honest, amazed they haven't done this years ago....

over a year ago

evesham

at east they are working to ake sure there is no oncrease on ee's....thats a good thing x

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

"Not very often I'm serious, but just found out about something that will put everyone who owns cars and some bikes etc .

There are some new laws coming in that will put companies out of business and anyone with a custom vehicle without a valid mot.

If you google the-ace the association of car enthusiasts there is all the info you need to know.

Please take the time to read it as it will affect nearly all of us. "

Thanks for this Artful, it's much appreciated.

over a year ago

"wheres the bit about tyres?

all i am seeing is things about modifying cars with tints and head lights etc "

The Commission proposes to introduce a definition for a roadworthiness test that components of the vehicle must comply with characteristics at the time of first registration. This may prevent most modifications to vehicles without further approval of the vehicle. (this will apply to many components and to all types of vehicle)

The Commission proposes to change the definition of an Historic Vehicle that may be exempt from periodic testing. This may allow vehicles older than 30 years to be exempt from testing providing the vehicle has been maintained in its original condition, including its appearance.

over a year ago

"Please take the time to read it as it will affect nearly all of us. "

In reality, it will only affect those who have modified their vehicle from the manufacturers spec. and that is still a 'relatively' small percentage of cars on the road. As for the wheels and tyres argument - take a Mondeo for example: in the life of the last Mark, they may well have been 25 different wheels to choose from, with any number of tyre configurations. So who is to say what is or isn't a modified wheel/tyre? So ,long as the profile matches what was in the original brochure/manual for the car, then you ought to be okay - even if, for example, you have swapped steel wheels for alloys.

What I can see coming is a deluge of legal challenges to the legislation - there are some VERY wealthy forces behind the car enthusiast arena and not everyone will take it lying down....

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I haven`t read the article but from what you`re saying this is the thin edge of the wedge as predicted by my motor technology lecturer at college some 35 years ago! His thought was that it would become virtually illegal for anyone to work on their own car doing servicing and repairs. You car would have to return to the main dealer every year for a safety service and all the driver would be able to do would be daily checks and stuff like that!

At work because we have an operator`s licence, if you take a vehicle home and when doing your daily checks you discover a fault you must not move the vehicle but get the fitters out to carry out repairs, even if it`s something like a blown bulb! That is our company rules, of course, but I suppose they take this path because it would be quite embarrassing for a County Council to lose their O Licence!

over a year ago

"at east they are working to ake sure there is no oncrease on ee's....thats a good thing x"

sorry hun couldnt quite understand that post lol

over a year ago

evesham

"wheres the bit about tyres?

all i am seeing is things about modifying cars with tints and head lights etc

The Commission proposes to introduce a definition for a roadworthiness test that components of the vehicle must comply with characteristics at the time of first registration. This may prevent most modifications to vehicles without further approval of the vehicle. (this will apply to many components and to all types of vehicle)

The Commission proposes to change the definition of an Historic Vehicle that may be exempt from periodic testing. This may allow vehicles older than 30 years to be exempt from testing providing the vehicle has been maintained in its original condition, including its appearance."

may be me being a thicko girl but i'm still not seeing anything abut tyres lol

it still talks about modifications to cars so as long as you fit the same size tyres to your care that it was designed to fit...you are good, right?

over a year ago

evesham

"at east they are working to ake sure there is no oncrease on ee's....thats a good thing x

sorry hun couldnt quite understand that post lol"

dont you speak evesham

ok i'll translate!!

at least they are working to make sure there is no increase on fee's....thats a good thing

over a year ago

I didn't mention tyres, someone else did.

over a year ago

evesham

"I didn't mention tyres, someone else did."

yeah you did.....third post in the thread

over a year ago

evesham

"I didn't mention tyres, someone else did.

"

although technically you said wheels haha

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"

Tyres and wheels are different, aren't they? Otherwise we are all affected. Everyone will have had to change a tyre at some point.

over a year ago

although technically you said wheels haha"

NON factory wheels, not tyres.

See, this is why women should stay in the kitchen and out the garage

over a year ago

evesham

Tyres and wheels are different, aren't they? Otherwise we are all affected. Everyone will have had to change a tyre at some point."

i defer to my thick girl defense earlier in this thread

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

although technically you said wheels haha

NON factory wheels, not tyres.

See, this is why women should stay in the kitchen and out the garage "

Can I just stay in the bedroom - I'm not that fond of the kitchen either?

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

From reading through some of the links is this not more to harmonise the rules on vehicle testing over Europe i.e. make sure all "Member States" play by the same rules?

A quote from the proposal -

"The objective of the proposal is to lay down updated harmonised rules on the roadworthiness testing of motor vehicles and their trailers with a view to enhance road safety and environmental protection.

The proposal aims at contributing to reach the target of a reduction of road fatalities by half until 2020 as laid down in the Policy Orientations on Road Safety 2011-20201. It will also contribute to the reduction of emissions in road transport linked to poor maintenance of vehicles."

over a year ago

simple answer is to keep a set of standard wheels for test time...

That is all that will happen..there are always ways around these stupid laws..

Although I have a few very good friends that are mot testers so when I have a modified car I am always okay..

To be honest I can see why in some cases.. but I think what they need is to have it like in australia where you have to get any modifications certified... that way they are deemed safe.

Cali

over a year ago

I can't post the exact link to the site, it explains everything that will concern most of us at some point.

If you search for the-ace dot org and add the uk bit as well and armageddon then you should find the full story.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

not sure that much has changed to be honest other than in the drivers favour. In the past if ur vehicle was involved in an accident and the insurance company inspect ur vehicle and they find modifications then they just voided ur insurance and avoided paying out so at least u get forwarned now

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"not sure that much has changed to be honest other than in the drivers favour. In the past if ur vehicle was involved in an accident and the insurance company inspect ur vehicle and they find modifications then they just voided ur insurance and avoided paying out so at least u get forwarned now "

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/08/12 21:15:17]

over a year ago

I've been a driver since 1987 and have never modified any car I've ever owned. Sure I've put new tyres on them but never actually changed the wheel for a brand new one. This proposal is aimned at people who 'soupe' their cars up, changing it dramatically from what it was when it was manufactured. Many teenagers add stuff to their cars to make them go faster, look 'more cool' etc, and it does change the vehicle from what it was to something completely different, and then they try to get lower insurance using the original spec.

If legislation can make it more difficult for people to operate in this way then I'm all for it as the end result is fast cars in the hands of young drivers who quite often can't control them and that pushes all our premiums up.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"simple answer is to keep a set of standard wheels for test time...

Although I have a few very good friends that are mot testers so when I have a modified car I am always okay..

Cali "

Does this mean your friends pass an MOT when they shouldn't?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"I've been a driver since 1987 and have never modified any car I've ever owned. Sure I've put new tyres on them but never actually changed the wheel for a brand new one. This proposal is aimned at people who 'soupe' their cars up, changing it dramatically from what it was when it was manufactured. Many teenagers add stuff to their cars to make them go faster, look 'more cool' etc, and it does change the vehicle from what it was to something completely different, and then they try to get lower insurance using the original spec.

If legislation can make it more difficult for people to operate in this way then I'm all for it as the end result is fast cars in the hands of young drivers who quite often can't control them and that pushes all our premiums up."

Wot this geezer said!....

over a year ago

"I've been a driver since 1987 and have never modified any car I've ever owned. Sure I've put new tyres on them but never actually changed the wheel for a brand new one. This proposal is aimned at people who 'soupe' their cars up, changing it dramatically from what it was when it was manufactured. Many teenagers add stuff to their cars to make them go faster, look 'more cool' etc, and it does change the vehicle from what it was to something completely different, and then they try to get lower insurance using the original spec.

If legislation can make it more difficult for people to operate in this way then I'm all for it as the end result is fast cars in the hands of young drivers who quite often can't control them and that pushes all our premiums up."

What about the skilled craftsmen who spend millions each year bringing old vehicles to more than just standard road safe vehicles?

The people who build them keep many companies in business and aren't dope smoking chavs that thrash and trash motors.

The car culture in the UK is massive, it is a major factor in keeping the economy going when it comes to motor factors, import and export companies, not to mention insurance companies and garages (fuel and servicing etc)

Once again Europe is dictating what us Brits have to do.

WANKERS!!

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

many moons ago up north it was standard practice for taxis to buy cars with for example 18" wheels on them and because the metre was tuned to the revolutions of the tyre put different spec tyres on the car to make the metre tick quicker .. hence bigger taxi fare .. this is the kind of thing this will stop .. so its a win win situation for the masses !

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

"simple answer is to keep a set of standard wheels for test time...

Cali

Does this mean your friends pass an MOT when they shouldn't? "

It's okay the Proposal aims to put a stop to this kind of thing happening -

"........ Inspectors shall be free of any conflict of interests, in particular as regards economic, personal or family links with the holder of the vehicle registration.

Roadworthiness test activities performed by authorised private bodies shall be subject to supervision."

Having just read through the Proposal (god I must be bored tonight!) I can't see anything for me to get overly worried about, I bought my current car from new, haven't tampered with it so it will still pass the new type of MOT tests.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

That's buggered me then....just had 7" diameter wheels put on my SEAT, thought it might slow me down a bit....

Can't beat Go Kart wheels on a road car

over a year ago

Can't see this going ahead, would put so many business out of work, there are thousands of shops that sell parts for car. Why would the govenment want to risk all jobs and lose the tax income. You have to pay vat on modifications and car parts so that more money they would lose

over a year ago

"Can't see this going ahead, would put so many business out of work, there are thousands of shops that sell parts for car. Why would the govenment want to risk all jobs and lose the tax income. You have to pay vat on modifications and car parts so that more money they would lose"

It's going ahead, that is the reason for the thread.

Only thing anyone can do is lobby against it and get in touch with your MEP and MP etc.

over a year ago

evesham

"Can't see this going ahead, would put so many business out of work, there are thousands of shops that sell parts for car. Why would the govenment want to risk all jobs and lose the tax income. You have to pay vat on modifications and car parts so that more money they would lose"

sorry artful....thicko girl popping her head in again

why will it put people out of work? it isnt saying you cant modify your car, just that it will go through a different test right?

over a year ago

"Can't see this going ahead, would put so many business out of work, there are thousands of shops that sell parts for car. Why would the govenment want to risk all jobs and lose the tax income. You have to pay vat on modifications and car parts so that more money they would lose

why will it put people out of work? it isnt saying you cant modify your car, just that it will go through a different test right?"

Have you seen American Hot Rod or Pimp My Ride?

They were original cars that have been altered, thousands spent on someones pride and joy.

To mot the vehicle, you will have to put it back to factory spec to get the mot certificate. Just using that as an example at one end of the scale.

over a year ago

"That's buggered me then....just had 7" diameter wheels put on my SEAT, thought it might slow me down a bit....

Can't beat Go Kart wheels on a road car"

Hi Jane,don't you mean 7" wide not diameter ?

over a year ago

"Can't see this going ahead, would put so many business out of work, there are thousands of shops that sell parts for car. Why would the govenment want to risk all jobs and lose the tax income. You have to pay vat on modifications and car parts so that more money they would lose

why will it put people out of work? it isnt saying you cant modify your car, just that it will go through a different test right?

They were original cars that have been altered, thousands spent on someones pride and joy.

To mot the vehicle, you will have to put it back to factory spec to get the mot certificate. Just using that as an example at one end of the scale."

Or get type approval the same as all kit car builders do. Essentially cars that have been modified will have to get type approval and will be classed then as a new mfg and not that of what essentially will be the donor car.

over a year ago

evesham

i like my Mazda the way it is so dont really bother me

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

[Removed by poster at 22/08/12 21:54:53]

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

No diameter.....got them off a Noddy car.

They have knocked Twenty Five seconds off of my 0-60 and are saving me a fortune in petrol....

over a year ago

To mot the vehicle, you will have to put it back to factory spec to get the mot certificate. Just using that as an example at one end of the scale.

Or get type approval the same as all kit car builders do. Essentially cars that have been modified will have to get type approval and will be classed then as a new mfg and not that of what essentially will be the donor car."

The old SVA test.

over a year ago

"

Does this mean your friends pass an MOT when they shouldn't? "

It means I get one as long as the car is safe and road worthy.. many of the mot rules state that TESTER discretion..

cali

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

im not getting this ... so u buy a car with a 1.2 engine and decide to put a 1.4 engine in it ... register the change and inform the insurance company .. .u got 16" tyres and decide u want 17" tyres .. register it and inform the insurance company .. wots so hard ???

over a year ago

"im not getting this ... so u buy a car with a 1.2 engine and decide to put a 1.4 engine in it ... register the change and inform the insurance company .. .u got 16" tyres and decide u want 17" tyres .. register it and inform the insurance company .. wots so hard ??? "

Read the link I provided.

All will be explained.

over a year ago

"No diameter.....got them off a Noddy car.

They have knocked Twenty Five seconds off of my 0-60 and are saving me a fortune in petrol....

"

ahh ok

you would save more $$'s if you got a diesel

over a year ago

evesham

also...insurance and petrol are getting so high pretty soon no one will be able to aford a car

over a year ago

Or get type approval the same as all kit car builders do. Essentially cars that have been modified will have to get type approval and will be classed then as a new mfg and not that of what essentially will be the donor car.

The old SVA test."

Something on that line where they test alignment, if it stops and loads of other stuff. People don't realise putting non standard rims on your car can change its handling totally. I don't see a prob if you have 18' rims with 225's as standard changing the rim for a tyre with the same traction and rolling diameter. Anyways do we really think the Frogs or The Eyeties will take any notice. It will only be the anal Kruts, sprouts and the tulip boys who will take any notice.

over a year ago

"im not getting this ... so u buy a car with a 1.2 engine and decide to put a 1.4 engine in it ... register the change and inform the insurance company .. .u got 16" tyres and decide u want 17" tyres .. register it and inform the insurance company .. wots so hard ??? "

They are saying you cant do that..

I did that with my metro.. brought a gti and stuck a lotus engine in it.. put a lsd box from another rover into it.. and had 15inch wheels from another rover/mg on it... uprated suspension by fitting mgf suspension.. and then had bars welded in to strengthen it.. but had to have the car set up well so as not to adversely affect the handling.

Now this was all done properly.. although yes I was doing a lot of the small stuff myself... but this would now struggle to pass an mot even in mint condition now.

Same with my scooby.. I had p1 wheels fitted on my type r.. different wheels totally.. different size.. yet still subaru wheels..

Aftermarket wheels are big money.. but some do fit bad fitting ones..and it can affect the handling of the car.

Every person with a well modified car will know a modified friendly mot tester.. but its still getting harder and harder to get things through.

Although saying that it will be like bikers.. I often see them sitting outside the test station refitting their sports cans.. lol after taking it in for mot and getting it.

Cali

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

gonna set up a web site ... 'Q plates r us !' ... lets start a revolution !!

over a year ago

"gonna set up a web site ... 'Q plates r us !' ... lets start a revolution !! "

Go for it!!

Can I just point out that there wont be any cars to Q plate

By *ishopstippleMan
over a year ago

Purley

Viva le driod de euro

By *ishopstippleMan
over a year ago

Purley

Viva le driod de euro

over a year ago

"Viva le driod de euro

"

Get back in ya cave

over a year ago

P.S.. insurance companys..

They now have a list of wheels and also Have A List of recomended Tyres..

very Soon to be added to some policies that you can only use a certain brand of tyre with each car or insurance is null and void kinda thing..

or even (ie) if you crash in winter they wont pay out if you didnt have the listed on your policy brand name winter tyres on your car etc ...

lol.. and you were worried about the wheels...

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"

It means I get one as long as the car is safe and road worthy.. many of the mot rules state that TESTER discretion..

cali "

I assumed when you said you had friends who would do an MOT for you that the car wouldn't pass an MOT normally but if the car is roadworthy then I assuming anyone who can do MOT's could do it.

over a year ago

"P.S.. insurance companys..

They now have a list of wheels and also Have A List of recomended Tyres..

very Soon to be added to some policies that you can only use a certain brand of tyre with each car or insurance is null and void kinda thing..

or even (ie) if you crash in winter they wont pay out if you didnt have the listed on your policy brand name winter tyres on your car etc ...

lol.. and you were worried about the wheels...

"

I'm worried about the whole car scene.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

I don't get any of it...if the car already has wheels and is fit for purpose, why do you need to change the whole car?

Anyway Artful....what if any difference is it going to make for you? Have you one of those cars that doesn't look like the original now?

By *uckscouple2007Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

Best avoid buying shares in Halfords

over a year ago

I hope they manage to get all the hoodrat cars off the road.

Cant stand them and the crap driving they're known for.

over a year ago

"I don't get any of it...if the car already has wheels and is fit for purpose, why do you need to change the whole car?

Anyway Artful....what if any difference is it going to make for you? Have you one of those cars that doesn't look like the original now? "

Its not just about wheels, that was an example.

Yes I own one of the vehicles it will affect.

It will start with the modified vehicles and then involve everyday transport, which could lead to us all having the choice of what vehicles we would like to run taken away from us.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Ah well, it won't apply to me then, when I buy a car it is to get from A to B so it stays the same way

over a year ago

"Ah well, it won't apply to me then, when I buy a car it is to get from A to B so it stays the same way "

For now.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

"Ah well, it won't apply to me then, when I buy a car it is to get from A to B so it stays the same way

For now."

So what are you saying? That normal cars won't be built anymore or if they are we won't be able to drive them?

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"Ah well, it won't apply to me then, when I buy a car it is to get from A to B so it stays the same way

For now.

So what are you saying? That normal cars won't be built anymore or if they are we won't be able to drive them?

"

both, by 2013 the car industry will crash and cease to be and we will all have to take up pedal cars, unmodified of course

over a year ago

For now.

"

No, I meant that eventually it will affect motorists in some way, mainly financially and more regulations.

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Ok I am not going to pretend to understand it, but as far as I can see from whats been said...it is about modifying cars?

Now obviously I will be ok as I don't modify cars, but I don't see how it will make any difference to the majority of people as our cars will still go through their MOT's

By *b430Man
over a year ago

Tayside

For now.

No, I meant that eventually it will affect motorists in some way, mainly financially and more regulations."

Have you actually read the "Roadworthiness Package - Annex" where it describes the proposed "new" tests?

After a boring evening of reading through it, there doesn't seem to be that many changes that actually affect the current UK MOT test, it mainly seems to be aimed at EU Countries who fall below our current safety standards for testing vehicles or some Countries who don't even test them now.

And, personally, if a car fails an MOT test I would rather it wasn't on the road posing a danger to other legal road users, etc!

over a year ago

"

cali

I assumed when you said you had friends who would do an MOT for you that the car wouldn't pass an MOT normally but if the car is roadworthy then I assuming anyone who can do MOT's could do it. "

Not really. Some fail it where others would pass. Some will fail a car just because being modified makes it harder to test. Some stations don't even have a ramp suitable for lowered cars.

My cars are a big part of my life. I like to make them mine. I to be fair mostly modify engines and suspension setup.

I've asked my mate as he is a tester and he says as always this is noise about nothing. As plenty of cars pass that shouldn't. Not because they are not road worthy but because of things like emissions. As cars are meant to fail now if a cat is removed. Yet I know lots of modified cars that still are moted.

I actually think that mot should be more often

As there are lots of people that don't check their cars except for mot and service time.

Most people with modified cars will know the moment that there is even a slight problem with their car.

I used to organise cruises and you know many are well behaved.

Cali

By *am789Man
over a year ago

Preston

Will that get rid of big bore exhausts?

By *bfoxxxMan
over a year ago

Crete or LANCASTER

There's something rather anal about customising cars,

Why do you want a loud exhaust ?

Lights under the car ?

Stereos that can damage your hearing ?

Ban them and crush them.

By *teborahCouple
over a year ago

warrington

"There's something rather anal about customising cars,

Lights under the car ?

Ban them and crush them. "

So because you don't like it then it should be banned

over a year ago

its been like this in germany for years, simple fix, keep all the standard bits and put them back on for the mot

over a year ago

Lights under the car ?

Chavmobiles aren't my first concern, hot rods, classic customs, american muscle cars amd british classics/customs are.

over a year ago

"

Chavmobiles aren't my first concern, hot rods, classic customs, american muscle cars amd british classics/customs are.

"

if you can go to the trouble of restoring a car or building a hot rod then an sva test isnt a big deal

over a year ago

Lights under the car ?

Because I do.. I loved having as stainless straight through exhaust on my v6 alfa and my subaru. I paid my insurance ( way over the odds) and I put loads in fuel in too.

I am involved in a club that has some of the loudest cars in the country.. and they dont use them for blasting around the roads.. its for show use.

If I want a loud custom car then its my business as long as I am not causing a nuisance.

One of my cars was a restored old car... and I loved it.

but to be fair I think they as I said should just make it like Australia where you have to just get modifications to have an engineers report. To be fair I had to do that for my cars for my insurance anyway.

Cali

over a year ago

"What about the skilled craftsmen who spend millions each year bringing old vehicles to more than just standard road safe vehicles?

The people who build them keep many companies in business and aren't dope smoking chavs that thrash and trash motors."

I would have thought they would be the FIRST ones to want legislation like this so if differentiates them from the boy racers. A skilled craftsman will not only add 50BHP+ to a car, he will also take the trouble to make sure the brakes are up to the extra power. How many of the modified Nova/Corsa mob do the same...??????

over a year ago

Or get type approval the same as all kit car builders do. Essentially cars that have been modified will have to get type approval and will be classed then as a new mfg and not that of what essentially will be the donor car."

this is how i see it. it means mod cars may need an STA test like a kit car.

i am not sure that changing manufacturers steel wheels to alloys constitutes major modification as long as they comply with the cars original spec regarding diameter and width etc

if you make major mods you may need SAT, thats all. It wont take all these cars off the road and put all these hundreds of companies out of business.

just scaremongering if you ask me...

an MOT is worthless any way in my book.

it gives an indication of roadworthiness for a snap shot in time.

you could drive out of a MOT and hit a rock or something and damage stuff underneath that would fail but you are legal for at least a year.

someone tell me why it is an offence to drive a car without a speedo yet it wont fail an MOT..???

I had a car once with a wheel nut missing, but because it had a wheel cover hiding that fact it passed because the tester is not allowed to remove it. It would fail if he had seen it..

there is often no sense to these regs but overall they are designed to at least make sure cars are roadworthy most of the time.

Post new Message to Thread