Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

23k steps

Jump to newest

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

That's what I've done today! My poor feet are killing me!

How's your day been?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Well done! Good work!

10km run and a 6km walk through the woods, no idea how many steps but all adding up on the “Lands End to John O’Groats” challenge

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Go you. I’m aiming for 10k a day and really struggling!

over a year ago

Well done

I'm walking around 10km a day, which i think is 12k steps

over a year ago

got my 30 miler coming up.

over a year ago

evesham

"got my 30 miler coming up."

Ooosh. When I did the London marathon I did 75k steps

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"That's what I've done today! My poor feet are killing me!

How's your day been? "

That’s good. 12,300 so far , just a typical day at a standing desk doing household chores and cooking between calls

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

17500 for me today - which is about 3-4k more than normal - started walking at the end of January after an OMG moment on the scales and slowly built it up to doing an hour and a half solid walking each morning which is about 12k steps - lost 3st doing so

Scarily for the whole of 2020 I walked about 135km - this year since end of January I'm at around 1150km!!

By *ubElleWoman
over a year ago

milton keynes

I’m trying to do a million steps over the summer (it’s about 10,000 a day). Two school runs, cleaning and chores in town and apparently I did 3801 steps today. I’ve no idea how to get to 10,000 a day while I’m not at work!

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

How's your day been? "

I've done a few more than that today and think my feet want to drop off.

I've been at work since 2 though and just got in. X

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"I’m trying to do a million steps over the summer (it’s about 10,000 a day). Two school runs, cleaning and chores in town and apparently I did 3801 steps today. I’ve no idea how to get to 10,000 a day while I’m not at work! "

10,000 steps is about an hour and a half's walking, or a touch less - so finding a time (or times) each day to head out with the aim of either doing it in one go, or a couple of times a day, is the way to go - find a route where you know roughly how long it will take you.

When I started I didn't really know the area so started with a target of 6000 steps per walk and then as I built up my fitness and got to find different routes (and their step counts) I gradually increased it to where I am now (about 12000 steps a walk).

I also found over time that I got quite antsy if for some reason I didn't get my walk in, or had to cut it short which in itself acts as motivation.

By *ubElleWoman
over a year ago

milton keynes

"

10,000 steps is about an hour and a half's walking, or a touch less - so finding a time (or times) each day to head out with the aim of either doing it in one go, or a couple of times a day, is the way to go - find a route where you know roughly how long it will take you."

And the biggest issue is trying to find that hour and a half in a day! I’m thinking I can probably fit in 30-45 minutes pre afternoon school run and get something in then. But then it has to be close to home and I’m just going to be walking the same roads every day.

I’m just really disappointed today was so little. More organisation and I could have done a 45-60 minute walk somewhere green (I’m lucky that MK has lots of nice spaces) and what I did today but even that might not quite be 10,000. And it’s hard to do that every day with life as it is for me right now.

Ah well, something is better than nothing and tomorrow is a new day.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I've pushed a LONG way on a basketball court for the first time since October 2019 tonight! Gym at lunchtime (work either side of that ) It's been not too bad a day, to be honest, stressful day at work but the exercise endorphins made me forget

By *emini ManMan
over a year ago

"

10,000 steps is about an hour and a half's walking, or a touch less - so finding a time (or times) each day to head out with the aim of either doing it in one go, or a couple of times a day, is the way to go - find a route where you know roughly how long it will take you.

And the biggest issue is trying to find that hour and a half in a day! I’m thinking I can probably fit in 30-45 minutes pre afternoon school run and get something in then. But then it has to be close to home and I’m just going to be walking the same roads every day.

I’m just really disappointed today was so little. More organisation and I could have done a 45-60 minute walk somewhere green (I’m lucky that MK has lots of nice spaces) and what I did today but even that might not quite be 10,000. And it’s hard to do that every day with life as it is for me right now.

Ah well, something is better than nothing and tomorrow is a new day. "

The thing is not to beat yourself up about it - time is a precious commodity and not always easy to find, especially if juggling work, kids, life etc - another way as I said is break it down into chunks that are more manageable - you'll be surprised how they build up.

I've found that a trip to Sainsburys for my weekly shop can add about 2000 steps for example - admittedly it's not "exercise" pace walking but every little helps (to steal the rival supermarket's catchphrase )

over a year ago

That’s great going!

PS: not trying to be negative about steps. BUT why do people/apps measure steps rather than distance? A KM can be between 1200 and 1600 steps depending on someone’s height and gait, so a big difference in measurement. Curious why anyone uses it.

Ran 5km and walked 3km. Spent rest of day at desk .

over a year ago

evesham

"That’s great going!

PS: not trying to be negative about steps. BUT why do people/apps measure steps rather than distance? A KM can be between 1200 and 1600 steps depending on someone’s height and gait, so a big difference in measurement. Curious why anyone uses it.

Ran 5km and walked 3km. Spent rest of day at desk . "

Mine also does distance and was around 10/11 miles.

I guess they measure steps for the very reason you mention.... Difference in stride length etc. Think the steps thing is easier for people ti understand when trying to hit their health goals as they can include walking round the house etc to stay active.

Its only ever a guide to do 10k steps aday

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"That’s great going!

Ran 5km and walked 3km. Spent rest of day at desk . "

I think it’s more relatable to non runners/walkers, a measure of general activity rather than distance. My 12,300 yesterday was 9.5k but I didn't run, hike or even leave the house, but was up and down stairs and in the garden all day between calls, so 9.5k means little to me. The apps measure everything - steps, distance, flights of stairs, heart rate etc , steps seems to be the universal measure of activity

By *aldyreynoldsMan
over a year ago

Oldbury

Typical day at work for me is between 11k - 13k steps, so above 20k is impressive.

over a year ago

"I think it’s more relatable to non runners/walkers, a measure of general activity rather than distance. My 12,300 yesterday was 9.5k but I didn't run, hike or even leave the house, but was up and down stairs and in the garden all day between calls, so 9.5k means little to me. The apps measure everything - steps, distance, flights of stairs, heart rate etc , steps seems to be the universal measure of activity "

Thank you for the explanation. That makes good sense. Have never measured steps so was always puzzled with the purpose of it.

over a year ago

"That’s great going!

Ran 5km and walked 3km. Spent rest of day at desk .

Mine also does distance and was around 10/11 miles.

I guess they measure steps for the very reason you mention.... Difference in stride length etc. Think the steps thing is easier for people ti understand when trying to hit their health goals as they can include walking round the house etc to stay active.

Its only ever a guide to do 10k steps aday "

over a year ago

How's your day been? "

Try 16.5 hours standing up with not much walking around.

Half a hour there and back ...

Post new Message to Thread