Chelmsford

On TV before 9pm..

To help reduce obesity ..

Will it work?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Nope, children's obesity comes from genetics and what their parents put in front of them. No point putting them on after 9pm if the parents are still watching.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Hopefully we will begin to see kids without fat legs etc. Poor buggers. All kids love eating but corporations are making them sick.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

There's no calories in adverts.

It's what they stuff down their neck is the issue.

Can't see it making any difference

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Also get them out playing and away from silly apps.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Nope, children's obesity comes from genetics and what their parents put in front of them. No point putting them on after 9pm if the parents are still watching."

Not entirely true.

Brainwashing children who with ads about fast food is definitely responsible for the food they eat.

Yes parents have a responsibility but we live in a time where many families don't sit and eat together, it's easier to give in to a child's complaint's than to stand up to them,god forbid that as some liberal do gooder will take umbrage with it and the parents will be seen as being abusive for not letting little Jonny stuff his face with a bic Mac .

Then the genetic issues yes genetics play's a huge part , trust me I know that more than most.

But the manufacturer fills these foods with transfats and sugary compounds that are everybit as harmful as nicotine or alcohol, and probably more addictive.

So banning the ads before 9pm yes good idea but I don't think it will effect sales of the bad shit one iota.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Like with smoking bans, alcohol and sugar tax it will work for the masses who can’t make choices by themselves a d do as they are told by the government, TV, Facebook etc , for the rest of us the government doesn’t care if we’re fat and get cancer , we’re a minority.

over a year ago

I saw a couple of children walking up the high street who were chubby, legs, tummies. Following behind were their parents, who were........

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

No I don’t think it will make a difference. It’s like when they moved the sweets from near the checkout. Parents should just learn to say no to their kids it’s ridiculous. If a McDonald’s advert comes on I don’t go and buy my kids a McDonald’s just coz they want one. If it’s weekend and we fancy a takeaway we have one. Nothing to do with adverts. People should have some bloody control over themselves and their kids.

By *onb21Woman
over a year ago

Cardiff

How much advertising is actually still being watched?

Doesn't everyone record or stream nowadays?

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Like with smoking bans, alcohol and sugar tax it will work for the masses who can’t make choices by themselves a d do as they are told by the government, TV, Facebook etc , for the rest of us the government doesn’t care if we’re fat and get cancer , we’re a minority."

So I may be wrong, it's the government's fault we are all fat?

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"How much advertising is actually still being watched?

Doesn't everyone record or stream nowadays?"

Good point most kid's watch content that gives you the option to skip ads.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

"Nope, children's obesity comes from genetics and what their parents put in front of them. No point putting them on after 9pm if the parents are still watching.

Not entirely true.

Brainwashing children who with ads about fast food is definitely responsible for the food they eat.

Yes parents have a responsibility but we live in a time where many families don't sit and eat together, it's easier to give in to a child's complaint's than to stand up to them,god forbid that as some liberal do gooder will take umbrage with it and the parents will be seen as being abusive for not letting little Jonny stuff his face with a bic Mac .

Then the genetic issues yes genetics play's a huge part , trust me I know that more than most.

But the manufacturer fills these foods with transfats and sugary compounds that are everybit as harmful as nicotine or alcohol, and probably more addictive.

So banning the ads before 9pm yes good idea but I don't think it will effect sales of the bad shit one iota."

But the parents don't have to give into their demands, they're the parents who make the decisions but maybe that's just my naivity of not having kids.

Either way, there needs to be better education in food choices and what foods are good for the entire family that's affordable and don't taste like crap. Like a lot of things, education would help more than outright bans.

By *arakiss12TV/TS
over a year ago

Bedford

It won`t work. But ethical nevertheless.

Maybe an exercise initiative tagged onto the end of the add.

Kids will be kids, they eat what they want. They boss their parents around.

Secret food stashes.

Bring back the work house I say....Bullseye come ere Bullseye.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

But a Chinese or Indian takeaway is tasty.. very very tasty .. it's very tasty

over a year ago

It struck me recently just how eye catching and trendy Subway food boxes and wrappers are. Of course KFC MCD do it too. I hate it. Its a statement of buy our brand and the association with us being cool, will make you look cool to.

Read a piece in the paper the other week about a doctor who ate nothing but fast food for a month. He had mental withdrawal and sleep problems when returning to a sensible diet. And that's now in 2021, used to be even more sugars salt and E no's before.

In the time it takes to queue for fastfood, you could prep a quick dinner yourself.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"But a Chinese or Indian takeaway is tasty.. very very tasty .. it's very tasty "

Everything in moderation. That’s what I’ve always stuck to. People are too lazy these days and it’s too easy to get everything delivered. Why don’t they ban these ubereat type things instead.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"But a Chinese or Indian takeaway is tasty.. very very tasty .. it's very tasty

Everything in moderation. That’s what I’ve always stuck to. People are too lazy these days and it’s too easy to get everything delivered. Why don’t they ban these ubereat type things instead. "

And if Nora was the Minister of Banning Things?

What next?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Marketing works, that's why those businesses spend on it.

Unhealthy foods are a part of our problems, so if our diets can get to be improved, it's 1 of the steps that we need to take.

Our health and obesity problems are complex and won't be fixed by 1 thing. Poverty, mental health, personal insecurities of income, employment and homes etc, are amongst facets of the complexity that have helped to normalise our increased body weights.

over a year ago

Everything in moderation. That’s what I’ve always stuck to. People are too lazy these days and it’s too easy to get everything delivered. Why don’t they ban these ubereat type things instead. "

Apart from cock and Minge. You can’t get enough of them! X

over a year ago

no it wont work, bad parenting cant be cured by stopping adverts, the problem is we are now in atleast the second generation of bad parenting, if you were brought up by obese parents who thought a mcd everyday was a good thing, then you will instill the same on your kids, education is probably the best answerand the excuse, ive got a big build etc doesnt wash, im sure the people in the war in concentration camps didnt have a big build!!!

its time parents took responsibility for thier childrens health.

it makes me so cross when i see wayne and waynetta taking tarquin to the fast food place, all obese, anyone can have a kid, it takes effort to be a parent, some kids have no chance

By *edheadjMan
over a year ago

High Wycombe

If they want to stop advertising to kids, ban it from YouTube

over a year ago

"If they want to stop advertising to kids, ban it from YouTube "

thats a good point, kids dont watch tv nowdays

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

This is all a bit Nanny State infantilising for my liking

over a year ago

"This is all a bit Nanny State infantilising for my liking"

where have you been for the last 20 years, this sort of thing is in every part of our life these days unfortunatly

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

My kids dying watch regular TV so never see the ads. They still want fast food.

Not showing them will make no difference at all.

It's like when they stopped smoking ads. I don't believe anyone stopped smoking or the amount of smokers reduced because of it. That was likely manly due to years of campaigns and education and then banning it indoors and in pubs.

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

"My kids dying watch regular TV so never see the ads. They still want fast food.

Not showing them will make no difference at all.

It's like when they stopped smoking ads. I don't believe anyone stopped smoking or the amount of smokers reduced because of it. That was likely manly due to years of campaigns and education and then banning it indoors and in pubs.

"

My kids *never* watch regular TV...

over a year ago

No its like the sugar tax, goverment saying there doing something yet in reality doing nothing

Obesity is due to parents not knowing how to cook a meal unless its warmed up in the oven, its the kids not having anywhere to play outside as any green land is now yet another housing estate and the streets are packed full of cars,

its parents having to work late, not getting in till late to have time to cook a proper meal, its the price of fresh food compared to cheap unhealthy alternatives, its the fact fresh food lasts 1/2 days tops compared to months for frozen altenatives

so no, banning fast food ads will not fix obesity, teaching kids how to cook in primary school (look at Japan for instance) and teach them nutrition from an early age, tax the ready meals and processed crap the supermarkets push out and make sure fruit and veg is sourced locally and is actually fresh when possible

Promote child sports classes/clubs like kickboxing, football, etc. give tax breaks to businesses running them, make it available for all who want to be involved

The fast food is then used and positioned how it always should be, a treat or a special occasion

Then again anyones whos ordered a kids kebab meal from there local chippy and we have another problem

j

over a year ago

Just eat

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Nope. I'll still enjoy a kfc or McDonald's regardless of when thd ads are on tv. In fact I mainly watch streaming services so rarely see any ads but still know I enjoy a 3 piece original recipe meal with chips and gravy from time to time

over a year ago

Sorry I don't think it will work .. in drive past rows of fast food restaurants they are everywhere they don't need tv adverts when you pass them all the time..

over a year ago

Just ban fags booze sweets and fattening foods

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"This is all a bit Nanny State infantilising for my liking

where have you been for the last 20 years, this sort of thing is in every part of our life these days unfortunatly"

I've noticed

Poxy country

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

If they wanted to make a real difference they would tackle corporations putting obscene amounts of rubbish in foods that people don’t need and often don’t know are in the products in the excessive quantities that they are.

That would be a better start but they won’t do that.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Kids will still know these places exist. Parents still know these places exist. Not being advertised on TV pre watershed won't change that.

If the parents are shoveling fast food in to their kids now, they are going to continue to do so.

Its just another attempt at the government attempting to seem like they are doing something so they don't have to clamp down in other ways on the big corporations.

In some ways it most certainly is the parents fault, but the way these things get done is so that the "rule makers" can appear involved but still place all the blame on the people.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It's a step in the right direction towards changing attitudes to fast foods I think. Just Eat (the name alone ), Uber Eats etc are another contributory factor. It's so easy to get high calorie, low nutrient food without having to do more than open your front door. The irony to me is that the people who do the bike deliveries for these companies are often super slim.

Put a load of adverts that make healthier food attractive to kids,the current ones are ridiculous by comparison. The Barcelona football team eating carrots and pretending peas are the enemy and we have to eat them...

By *amelhunterMan
over a year ago

newcastle

"Nope, children's obesity comes from genetics and what their parents put in front of them. No point putting them on after 9pm if the parents are still watching."

does it, i know skinny adults with overweight kids and vice versa!

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

Walk down you’re average shopping parade in any town and I’ll guarantee it’s all fast food outlets for example I recently stopped at the local shopping parade where I went to as a kid gone are the newsagents the laundrette has gone the hardware shop gone the pet shop gone the fruit shop gone now it’s full of vape shops tanning shops and take aways my point is that nearly every shopping parade has more fast food takeaways than anything else so should the councils have a limit on the amount of takeaways in one shopping precinct

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Walk down you’re average shopping parade in any town and I’ll guarantee it’s all fast food outlets for example I recently stopped at the local shopping parade where I went to as a kid gone are the newsagents the laundrette has gone the hardware shop gone the pet shop gone the fruit shop gone now it’s full of vape shops tanning shops and take aways my point is that nearly every shopping parade has more fast food takeaways than anything else so should the councils have a limit on the amount of takeaways in one shopping precinct"

Not in my opinion. We have about two takeaways a year. Why should my choice be limited?

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Everything in moderation. That’s what I’ve always stuck to. People are too lazy these days and it’s too easy to get everything delivered. Why don’t they ban these ubereat type things instead.

Apart from cock and Minge. You can’t get enough of them! X "

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

What next?

"

Put me in charge of this country. I’ll sort it all out. No problem

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

"Walk down you’re average shopping parade in any town and I’ll guarantee it’s all fast food outlets for example I recently stopped at the local shopping parade where I went to as a kid gone are the newsagents the laundrette has gone the hardware shop gone the pet shop gone the fruit shop gone now it’s full of vape shops tanning shops and take aways my point is that nearly every shopping parade has more fast food takeaways than anything else so should the councils have a limit on the amount of takeaways in one shopping precinct

Not in my opinion. We have about two takeaways a year. Why should my choice be limited?"

so why should certain adverts be put on after a certain time

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"On TV before 9pm..

Will it work?"

No. It will stop people from impulsively walking to the phone to order a dominoes. It reduces exercise by 100%

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Walk down you’re average shopping parade in any town and I’ll guarantee it’s all fast food outlets for example I recently stopped at the local shopping parade where I went to as a kid gone are the newsagents the laundrette has gone the hardware shop gone the pet shop gone the fruit shop gone now it’s full of vape shops tanning shops and take aways my point is that nearly every shopping parade has more fast food takeaways than anything else so should the councils have a limit on the amount of takeaways in one shopping precinct

Not in my opinion. We have about two takeaways a year. Why should my choice be limited? so why should certain adverts be put on after a certain time "

They will still be available for me to watch if I want to, the choice is still there for me.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What next?

Put me in charge of this country. I’ll sort it all out. No problem "

No Nora. No. Just No.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"On TV before 9pm..

Will it work?

No. It will stop people from impulsively walking to the phone to order a dominoes. It reduces exercise by 100%"

Are there still people who have to walk to a phone?

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

What next?

Put me in charge of this country. I’ll sort it all out. No problem

No Nora. No. Just No. "

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

When I was a kid god I sound old now, but the only take away was the chip shop. And that wasn't even in my nearest village. So it was more effort to go to the chippy than make your own food. So it was massive treat to go.

The closest McDonald's was in the nearest city which was over half an hour's drive away. So it was reserved for birthday parties only. Nobody has a birthday McDonald's anymore.

I think justeat etc are like having a big box of chocolates in your house at all times. Some people can ignore it and it doesn't bother them but others will open it and eat it because it's there. Not saying it's anyone's fault, but it's harder to avoid temptation when you don't even need to move from your seat and order thousands of calories to your doorstep.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"When I was a kid god I sound old now, but the only take away was the chip shop. And that wasn't even in my nearest village. So it was more effort to go to the chippy than make your own food. So it was massive treat to go.

The closest McDonald's was in the nearest city which was over half an hour's drive away. So it was reserved for birthday parties only. Nobody has a birthday McDonald's anymore.

I think justeat etc are like having a big box of chocolates in your house at all times. Some people can ignore it and it doesn't bother them but others will open it and eat it because it's there. Not saying it's anyone's fault, but it's harder to avoid temptation when you don't even need to move from your seat and order thousands of calories to your doorstep. "

Yep.

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

"When I was a kid god I sound old now, but the only take away was the chip shop. And that wasn't even in my nearest village. So it was more effort to go to the chippy than make your own food. So it was massive treat to go.

I think justeat etc are like having a big box of chocolates in your house at all times. Some people can ignore it and it doesn't bother them but others will open it and eat it because it's there. Not saying it's anyone's fault, but it's harder to avoid temptation when you don't even need to move from your seat and order thousands of calories to your doorstep. "

or you’re inundated with leaflets posted through the door for local takeaways

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think justeat etc are like having a big box of chocolates in your house at all times. Some people can ignore it and it doesn't bother them but others will open it and eat it because it's there. Not saying it's anyone's fault, but it's harder to avoid temptation when you don't even need to move from your seat and order thousands of calories to your doorstep.

Yep.

"

We were brought up by parents who'd lived through WW2. Sweets, cake, biscuits, fizzy drinks etc didn't feature in our lives other than as treats because our parents had very !little access to them so didn't see them as a normal part of an every day diet. I was 18 the first time I ate pizza and in my me twenties before I tasted McDonald's or KFC.

You go with what's normal, we need to make this stuff not normal as everyday food.

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

I bet the queue of cars trying to get in to the McDonald's drive through tonight will be non-existent now they've banned the adds! Stupid idea ! They should ban the restaurants ! It has to be a form of child abuse feeding your kids that crap !!

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Yep.

We were brought up by parents who'd lived through WW2. Sweets, cake, biscuits, fizzy drinks etc didn't feature in our lives other than as treats because our parents had very !little access to them so didn't see them as a normal part of an every day diet. I was 18 the first time I ate pizza and in my me twenties before I tasted McDonald's or KFC.

You go with what's normal, we need to make this stuff not normal as everyday food."

Pop was for birthday parties and Christmas or if we were out for a family meal. Take away pizza didn't exist where I'm from until after I went to university. Sweets would be 10 or 20p to buy penny sweets occasionally.

But you are right about what's normal in your household. My kids when with me have had 2 take aways this year. One dominoes because it was one of the kids birthday during lockdown and a chippy tea this week, because I locked myself out the house after school pick up

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

"I bet the queue of cars trying to get in to the McDonald's drive through tonight will be non-existent now they've banned the adds! Stupid idea ! They should ban the restaurants ! It has to be a form of child abuse feeding your kids that crap !!"

Where else should they ban?

Plenty of pubs have microwaved food that is just as bad if not worse and shops sell crappy food that is just as bad AND you have to cook it yourself.

Let's ban everything, because some people can't control themselves or their kids. Not going to work.

Education is the only thing that will work.

over a year ago

I think we should talk about the disproportionate costs when comparing eating crap to eating healthy. It's not cheap and it's not as accessible as it needs to be, hence why parents struggle and childhood obesity is such a problem

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I bet the queue of cars trying to get in to the McDonald's drive through tonight will be non-existent now they've banned the adds! Stupid idea ! They should ban the restaurants ! It has to be a form of child abuse feeding your kids that crap !!

Plenty of pubs have microwaved food that is just as bad if not worse and shops sell crappy food that is just as bad AND you have to cook it yourself.

Let's ban everything, because some people can't control themselves or their kids. Not going to work.

Education is the only thing that will work. "

Absolutely this .

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

You can eat nothing but McDonald’s and still be fairly healthy and lose weight. It’s not ideal but let’s stop pretending that fast food is inherently bad and that the isn’t over consumption of calories and lack of exercise

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"I bet the queue of cars trying to get in to the McDonald's drive through tonight will be non-existent now they've banned the adds! Stupid idea ! They should ban the restaurants ! It has to be a form of child abuse feeding your kids that crap !!

Education is the only thing that will work. "

Is it education though? Because everyone knows it's not the healthiest of foods. It's changing habbits and mindsets.

I personally don't think we should ban anything, even smoking etc it's down to individual choice. I just think maybe as a society we can make it easier for people to make better choices.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Is it education though? Because everyone knows it's not the healthiest of foods. It's changing habbits and mindsets.

I personally don't think we should ban anything, even smoking etc it's down to individual choice. I just think maybe as a society we can make it easier for people to make better choices. "

There’s an awful lot of adults who don’t even know how to cook and eat nothing but ready meals and processed food and also feed that to their children so I think yes, where that is concerned education is needed.

I agree nothing should be banned.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Though to answer the OP, by kids know of most of the different fast food outlets from YouTubers. They very rarely watch TV with channels so this wouldn't impact them whatsoever.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I personally don't think we should ban anything, even smoking etc it's down to individual choice. I just think maybe as a society we can make it easier for people to make better choices. "

It’s absolutely education because you can’t change mindsets without facts to back it up.

Look at any fitness or weight loss post on here. 95% of people have no idea what they are talking about and will parrot absolute dribble they’ve read over the years. Only 15 years ago when I was in school some of that dribble was taught by teachers at school!

By *ackdaw52Man
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Childhood obesity is the result of a myriad of factors, one of which is advertising.

Will it solve the problem? No, of course not.

Will it help? Definitely worth a try.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I personally don't think we should ban anything, even smoking etc it's down to individual choice. I just think maybe as a society we can make it easier for people to make better choices.

There’s an awful lot of adults who don’t even know how to cook and eat nothing but ready meals and processed food and also feed that to their children so I think yes, where that is concerned education is needed.

I agree nothing should be banned. "

My ex couldn't cook I mean he burnt baked beans on a regular basis. It was me who made anything nice, but he would peel and boil potatoes, cook frozen peas and cook a bit of chicken (often a bit dry but edible), and if he really couldn't be bothered the potatoes would be substituted for pasta. Yeah it wasn't the best meal in the world but it was healthy enough.

People can cook I don't think the desire to do so, is often there. Or there's an unrealistic expectation of what a home cooked meal is, it doesn't have to look like Jamie Oliver cooked it.

over a year ago

"On TV before 9pm..

Will it work?"

Yeah, that’ll do it. Cause there’s no reminders out there, what with junk food company logos at every turn.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I agree nothing should be banned.

My ex couldn't cook I mean he burnt baked beans on a regular basis. It was me who made anything nice, but he would peel and boil potatoes, cook frozen peas and cook a bit of chicken (often a bit dry but edible), and if he really couldn't be bothered the potatoes would be substituted for pasta. Yeah it wasn't the best meal in the world but it was healthy enough.

People can cook I don't think the desire to do so, is often there. Or there's an unrealistic expectation of what a home cooked meal is, it doesn't have to look like Jamie Oliver cooked it. "

True. Or just pure laziness

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

It’s absolutely education because you can’t change mindsets without facts to back it up.

Look at any fitness or weight loss post on here. 95% of people have no idea what they are talking about and will parrot absolute dribble they’ve read over the years. Only 15 years ago when I was in school some of that dribble was taught by teachers at school!

"

I think it's more than fact based though. I'm fat I'm a medical scientist I know the facts. But I'm still a twat who eats too much shit when I get stressed or upset.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I can't remember my children ever watching an advert for sweets/ice cream etc and asking for them.

They ate what I bought for them up until they went to Senior school and had their own money.

Even when we went to the supermarket they didn't badger me for sweets. They had their weekend fizzy drink and Friday night chocolate if they wanted it, but we weren't a household that had biscuits and crisps or sweets in the cupboards.

I hold my hands up to being guilty to my grandson's weight gain though, as I was looking after him after school and stopping at the ice cream van and shop on the way home.

I saw something on YouTube last night regarding the eating habits from the 80s until now.

The percentage of fresh food bought went down massively as the percentage of highly processed food went up.

As a nation we need have become addicted to the easy option and what we can buy ready made or full of sugar and fat.

I don't know what the solution is but I don't think it's down to advertising.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I think we should talk about the disproportionate costs when comparing eating crap to eating healthy. It's not cheap and it's not as accessible as it needs to be, hence why parents struggle and childhood obesity is such a problem"

An apple and a Mars Bar cost about the same.

£1:99 will buy a happy meal for one child or beans on toast with scrambled egg for four.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

"On TV before 9pm..

Will it work?"

Have you ever been asked to fill in for Jeremy Vine when he's on holiday, Tom?

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I think it's more than fact based though. I'm fat I'm a medical scientist I know the facts. But I'm still a twat who eats too much shit when I get stressed or upset. "

True, but the facts form the foundation.

There’s people out there that don’t think calories in vs calories out is a real thing.

How are you meant to change someone’s mindset without first educating them on the truth and removing any “bro science” from their belief system

over a year ago

more advertising space for betting companies as we clearly do not see enough of them

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

"I think we should talk about the disproportionate costs when comparing eating crap to eating healthy. It's not cheap and it's not as accessible as it needs to be, hence why parents struggle and childhood obesity is such a problem

£1:99 will buy a happy meal for one child or beans on toast with scrambled egg for four. "

You've forgotten about the cost of people's time.

Getting a McD takes 10min for me to drive through the local.

If I have nothing in, to go to the shops I've got to drag 2 kids out the house, spend over 30 mins waking around it because everything is so spead out, then cook it.

Yes, I should be more prepared and have stuff in, but life and work often do fuck up the best of plans.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"I think we should talk about the disproportionate costs when comparing eating crap to eating healthy. It's not cheap and it's not as accessible as it needs to be, hence why parents struggle and childhood obesity is such a problem

£1:99 will buy a happy meal for one child or beans on toast with scrambled egg for four. "

A Mars Bar will fill me up for longer though, but McDonald's seems to evaporate 10 minutes after I've eaten it.

over a year ago

What next?

"

Football hopefully

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I think it's more than fact based though. I'm fat I'm a medical scientist I know the facts. But I'm still a twat who eats too much shit when I get stressed or upset.

There’s people out there that don’t think calories in vs calories out is a real thing.

How are you meant to change someone’s mindset without first educating them on the truth and removing any “bro science” from their belief system "

Since the advent of the fridge/freezer we've been we've been conditioned to think frozen or long life processed food is the best thing since sliced bread.

Then came preservatives and big companies filling fridges with easy cook dinners.

People fill up freezers so kids can come in and make their own dinner as no one is home.

Or the cook of the house comes home from work exhausted and is too tired to peel veg (I've been there many times) and wait for meat to cook.

Regardless of all that waffling, we are now so used to having bad food, we have forgotten to have the good stuff.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

My Just Eat delivery last night was lamb kebab (not the minced stuff) rice, salad and chips, as I'm not allowed white rice at the moment.

It's probably one of the less unhealthy takeaways you can get.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

What next?

Football hopefully "

No chance! Cricket I might though. Too boring and complicated.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

How are you meant to change someone’s mindset without first educating them on the truth and removing any “bro science” from their belief system

Since the advent of the fridge/freezer we've been we've been conditioned to think frozen or long life processed food is the best thing since sliced bread.

Then came preservatives and big companies filling fridges with easy cook dinners.

People fill up freezers so kids can come in and make their own dinner as no one is home.

Or the cook of the house comes home from work exhausted and is too tired to peel veg (I've been there many times) and wait for meat to cook.

Regardless of all that waffling, we are now so used to having bad food, we have forgotten to have the good stuff.

"

And this is exactly what I mean by dribble because that truly was dribble

Nothing about frozen food means it’s bad. And while processed food isn’t always ideal, it’s not the problem either.

The problem is over consumption and no exercise.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

£1:99 will buy a happy meal for one child or beans on toast with scrambled egg for four.

A Mars Bar will fill me up for longer though, but McDonald's seems to evaporate 10 minutes after I've eaten it.

"

If I'm hungry and I eat sweets or chocolate I get even hungrier and I'd have to have cheese with an apple to satisfy me. I do eat McDonald's, I think I had a wrap in 2019 but I always feel slightly nauseous afterwards.

I'm not against fast food, sweets, chocolate, cheesecake etc etc i eat those things, we used to take our kids to McDonald's in the holidays and they had sweets etc. when I was pregnant I craved mini mars bars and we had to keep a load in the salad drawer of the fridge.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

If anyone gets a chance and remembers the super size me documentary, there was a great documentary in response to that where a guy ate nothing but McDonald’s for a month and ends up losing weight along with improved total cholesterol levels decreased

We have an odd fixation on good vs bad foods when in reality we should be focusing more on quantity when it comes to tackling obesity.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"If anyone gets a chance and remembers the super size me documentary, there was a great documentary in response to that where a guy ate nothing but McDonald’s for a month and ends up losing weight along with improved total cholesterol levels decreased

We have an odd fixation on good vs bad foods when in reality we should be focusing more on quantity when it comes to tackling obesity."

I think McDonald's has become synonymous with bad fast food. I'm guilty of that

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

No course it wont x

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"If anyone gets a chance and remembers the super size me documentary, there was a great documentary in response to that where a guy ate nothing but McDonald’s for a month and ends up losing weight along with improved total cholesterol levels decreased

We have an odd fixation on good vs bad foods when in reality we should be focusing more on quantity when it comes to tackling obesity.

I think McDonald's has become synonymous with bad fast food. I'm guilty of that"

I’ve seen studies that suggest that about 80% of the benefits from cleaning up your diet and losing weight come purely from actually losing the weight, not the added “clean” food you now eat.

And it’s common thing people fall into when they replace their cheese sandwich with a pasta salad for lunch, not realising that the salad, pasta, dressing, maybe a little feta added too, all adds up to more calories than their sandwich.

Sure the salad is great, it’s got nutrition.

But if your obese you need to focus on cutting calories first. Because you can’t lose weight without that.

And while we’re at it. Why don’t the lazy parents out there trying to engage their kids and get them to play and be active? I know it’s far easier to stick an iPad with tic-tok on in front of them while you have a drink and watch the price is right. But do better

over a year ago

"

Pop was for birthday parties and Christmas or if we were out for a family meal. Take away pizza didn't exist where I'm from until after I went to university. Sweets would be 10 or 20p to buy penny sweets occasionally.

"

This sounds like my childhood

My children have had a McDonald's twice this year and maybe a couple of dinners from the chippy when they visited their Grandma because it was a tradition that she done on a Friday night and they all had dinner together. Sweets and chocolate are a treat still to them, maybe for a weekend or if they've done some brilliant work at school. My eldest tried lemonade once and didn't like it, my youngest has never had a fizzy drink.

They will ask for things but they doesn't mean they get them.

over a year ago

"

My children have had a McDonald's twice this year and maybe a couple of dinners from the chippy when they visited their Grandma because it was a tradition that she done on a Friday night and they all had dinner together. Sweets and chocolate are a treat still to them, maybe for a weekend or if they've done some brilliant work at school. My eldest tried lemonade once and didn't like it, my youngest has never had a fizzy drink.

They will ask for things but they doesn't mean they get them. "

well done.

i like it

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"

Saying no to kids is abuse now isn't it?

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"

That's the way to be, me and my two boys have shifted about 200 bricks after school so we did have some skittles for doing a good job.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"

Same here. Even down to the cereal. They’re only allowed chocolate cereal at weekends .

over a year ago

"

That's the way to be, me and my two boys have shifted about 200 bricks after school so we did have some skittles for doing a good job. "

I struggle to get my eldest out in the garden to help me, can I borrow yours?

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"

Saying no to kids is abuse now isn't it? "

Wouldn’t surprise me and god forbid sending them to their room or grounding them! Surely affect their human rights.

over a year ago

"

Same here. Even down to the cereal. They’re only allowed chocolate cereal at weekends . "

I'm telling my kids this! I'm the mean mummy that only buys chocolate cereal once in a blue moon and it's for weekends only too

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"

Same here. Even down to the cereal. They’re only allowed chocolate cereal at weekends . "

Omg I had words with my kids nursery as they were having Coco pops everyday. And said it was inappropriate, to be told no body else complains

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"

Same here. Even down to the cereal. They’re only allowed chocolate cereal at weekends .

Omg I had words with my kids nursery as they were having Coco pops everyday. And said it was inappropriate, to be told no body else complains "

Haha. I buy them but they’re not allowed them every day. Don’t even know how they can eat them myself! Gross.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"

That's the way to be, me and my two boys have shifted about 200 bricks after school so we did have some skittles for doing a good job.

I struggle to get my eldest out in the garden to help me, can I borrow yours? "

Can't get mine blinking in, rain is fun apparently

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"

Omg I had words with my kids nursery as they were having Coco pops everyday. And said it was inappropriate, to be told no body else complains

Haha. I buy them but they’re not allowed them every day. Don’t even know how they can eat them myself! Gross. "

Agreed they are minging

By *wistedTooCouple
over a year ago

Frimley

Say what you like about adverts making teenagers fat. But pre-teens being fat? 100% parents fault. Bad parenting.

over a year ago

"

I struggle to get my eldest out in the garden to help me, can I borrow yours?

Can't get mine blinking in, rain is fun apparently "

Rains is fun!

Post new Message to Thread