FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Did you know that the NHS want to share your data?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Or rather the government does, because it's convenient for the government to use the NHS brand from time to time. Anything you've told your GP about your genitals or head or anywhere in-between is up for grabs. Or your knees, if you've got dodgy knees. The deeply private stuff that you've said and treatment you've received that you assume is confidential is up for sale.

This subject has barely been in the news. It's scary shit. I don't know about you, but I don't trust the government. Tom, why haven't you told us about this?!

You can opt out, if you want to. I've not long opted out myself. If you search engine, National data opt-out, you'll find where you can opt out. It only takes a few minutes. You have until the 23rd of June to opt out.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've opted out

over a year ago

Not in Wales our Senedd have said no

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

Who will have access to our medical records

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

If my info helps find a cure so something that's great. If it doesn't it will be a pretty boring read.

By *arciocialWoman
over a year ago

Leicester

"Who will have access to our medical records "

We don't know, they're keeping that part secret. Or saying they don't know who will buy it, highest bidder kind of situation

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Yes I did, keep forgetting to opt out

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

"Who will have access to our medical records

We don't know, they're keeping that part secret. Or saying they don't know who will buy it, highest bidder kind of situation "

that’s worrying I’d not have a problem if it was to shared with medical professionals but if it’s going to joe public then it’s a worry

By *orace pinkerMan
over a year ago

North west

What will they do with this info?

over a year ago

Im really not fussed tbh, the gov know more about us than we know anyway, big brother is already here, ive nothing to hide, and like the other poster said , if it helps someone else then its all good, i dont have a tin foil hat

over a year ago

We don't know, they're keeping that part secret. Or saying they don't know who will buy it, highest bidder kind of situation that’s worrying I’d not have a problem if it was to shared with medical professionals but if it’s going to joe public then it’s a worry "

From the NHS website:

"The NHS cannot analyse all information on its own, so we safely and securely share some with researchers, analysts and organisations who are experts in making sense of complex information. We only share what’s needed for each piece of research, and wherever possible, information is removed so that you cannot be identified."

That's as detailed as I can find.

over a year ago

I've opted in. I hope my info can be used towards making improvements in certain areas, but the choice to opt in or out should be much better publicised.

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

We don't know, they're keeping that part secret. Or saying they don't know who will buy it, highest bidder kind of situation that’s worrying I’d not have a problem if it was to shared with medical professionals but if it’s going to joe public then it’s a worry

From the NHS website:

"The NHS cannot analyse all information on its own, so we safely and securely share some with researchers, analysts and organisations who are experts in making sense of complex information. We only share what’s needed for each piece of research, and wherever possible, information is removed so that you cannot be identified."

That's as detailed as I can find."

makes sense I suppose

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Not that I'm defending it too much but the sensitive part about you will be encrypted and the information the sell on won't be linked back to you or whoever buys it won't get your name or other personal details. It's just the anonymous medical stuff.

Again I'm not defending it or saying you shouldn't opt out. Just making it known that it's not John Smith from 123 that steet has erectile dysfunction and his stools contain glitter.

over a year ago

The NHS collects confidential patient information from:

all NHS organisations, trusts and local authorities (including GP surgeries)

private organisations, such as private hospitals providing NHS funded care

Research bodies and organisations can request access to this information. This includes:

university researchers

hospital researchers

medical royal colleges

pharmaceutical companies researching new treatments

over a year ago

They sell it to black market organ donor hunters

By *issAphroditeWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

I will be opting out. Many medical professionals are concerned by this move by the government, particularly GPs, as they fear it will put people off coming forward with more sensitive issues.

By *orksRockerMan
over a year ago

Bradford

I best not say anything otherwise I'll rant.........

over a year ago

I’m going to look into it a bit more. Though my medical information is a bit bland x

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

If it helps them find patterns in why some people get some diseases or indeed highlight an issue with a high occurrence of a disease in a set area, and thereby help medical research into possible causes to help the next generation, then I’m all for it.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Im really not fussed tbh, the gov know more about us than we know anyway, big brother is already here, ive nothing to hide, and like the other poster said , if it helps someone else then its all good, i dont have a tin foil hat"

This for me too. I’m really not bothered.

over a year ago

If it can help with diabetes and arthritis research,they can have it.

over a year ago

GDPR

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

Your 3 weeks too late already been posted on the forums by others.

https://www.fabswingers.com/forum/virus/1164074

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I have agreed my leg condition can be used for research anyway. Every time I have a leg decompression sole keen bean young surgeon wants to write a paper it seems.

And if they want to share my Testosterone supplementing and indigestion from time to time then they can have at it.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"The NHS collects confidential patient information from:

all NHS organisations, trusts and local authorities (including GP surgeries)

private organisations, such as private hospitals providing NHS funded care

Research bodies and organisations can request access to this information. This includes:

university researchers

hospital researchers

medical royal colleges

pharmaceutical companies researching new treatments

"

Yes they pay for it to be researched. Then the conclusion is then sold back to the nhs.

but it wont stop there it will be sold to american companys so that they can buy into the uk nhs brand.

A very large cash cow

Then it will get expensive just like the american brand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kll-yYQwmuM

lets swap it the other way around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyd8leeIOsQ

over a year ago

I've opted out

over a year ago

As fair as I’m aware it’s aggregated data and not personal data linked to individuals, so they *shouldn’t* be able to let people know that World Cup Willy of Wembley has weeping genital sores right now ... just that *someone* in the HA9 postcode has.

Provided that data is used properly and put to GOOD use for the benefit of society as a whole I’m not necessarily going to be against that.

However, having said that, I wouldn’t trust IT companies with a fucking barge pole to not screw the data encryption or not fuck up on data confidentiality so I’ll be thinking long and hard about that opting out thing.

over a year ago

I want to be upset about this but cant find the energy. I was sure we opted out of something like this already years back? Apathy rules here I may panic opt out right at the deadline.

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

I'm going to have to do a bit more delving into this because, with power of attorney over health and welfare in place for health and welfare over my mum, who has vascular dementia and athrites in both knees leaving her virtually wheelchair bound, I did agree to information sharing, but I thought that it was only in relation to the ulcerated leg wound which is being treated for at the time. If anyone else is in the same position with power of attorney over health and welfare over health and welfare, opting out may be your responsibility if they can't make that decision for themselves to opt out. This is reminding me about organs being up for grabs if you are fatally injured unless you haven't opted out there's no choice. Not that I mind my organs being made available, but it should be my choice.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"I want to be upset about this but cant find the energy. I was sure we opted out of something like this already years back? Apathy rules here I may panic opt out right at the deadline. "

if you mean that care data then yes

The link on the there post points to it but does mention if you have opted out of the last one you should be opted out of this one.

but knowing nhs grab I beleive that they will ignore your last optout on care data.

over a year ago

"I will be opting out. Many medical professionals are concerned by this move by the government, particularly GPs, as they fear it will put people off coming forward with more sensitive issues."

Yes but thats partly because there is there is alot of misinformation out there about what is being done with the data and who can buy and access it.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"I'm going to have to do a bit more delving into this because, with power of attorney over health and welfare in place for health and welfare over my mum, who has vascular dementia and athrites in both knees leaving her virtually wheelchair bound, I did agree to information sharing, but I thought that it was only in relation to the ulcerated leg wound which is being treated for at the time. If anyone else is in the same position with power of attorney over health and welfare over health and welfare, opting out may be your responsibility if they can't make that decision for themselves to opt out. This is reminding me about organs being up for grabs if you are fatally injured unless you haven't opted out there's no choice. Not that I mind my organs being made available, but it should be my choice. "

Theres info via this link posted on the other post that will inform you.

https://medconfidential.org/how-to-opt-out/

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

We don't know, they're keeping that part secret. Or saying they don't know who will buy it, highest bidder kind of situation that’s worrying I’d not have a problem if it was to shared with medical professionals but if it’s going to joe public then it’s a worry

From the NHS website:

That's as detailed as I can find."

You havent looked deep enough

The GP data grab comes 18 months after The Reg revealed details of a meeting between senior figures at numerous public-sector NHS bodies and UK heads of businesses at the likes of Amazon, Microsoft and AstraZeneca. They discussed ways to package the medical records of millions of British citizens.

The Health and Care Data Day hosted by NHS England in October 2019 involved the discussion of nine commercial models for a proposed medical record repository, which was estimated to be worth up to £10bn annually.

I cant link it site wont let me

but if you look for this title you will find it

Revealed: NHS England bosses meet with tech and pharmaceutical giants to discuss price list of millions of Brits' medical data

over a year ago

I may be being naive, but surely they aren't using this data on an individual level - with individual names and addresses attached. Surely it's being sold and used as a kind of meta-data? So that trends and patterns in health, well-being, lifestyle choices etc can all be monitored and tracked for various commercial purposes, like deciding which drugs to trial and which vaccines to develop?

I've opted out just in case, as I'm not informed enough, however unless my own personal data is being sold in an identifiable way linked back to me, I don't really see the issue?

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

"I'm going to have to do a bit more delving into this because, with power of attorney over health and welfare in place for health and welfare over my mum, who has vascular dementia and athrites in both knees leaving her virtually wheelchair bound, I did agree to information sharing, but I thought that it was only in relation to the ulcerated leg wound which is being treated for at the time. If anyone else is in the same position with power of attorney over health and welfare over health and welfare, opting out may be your responsibility if they can't make that decision for themselves to opt out. This is reminding me about organs being up for grabs if you are fatally injured unless you haven't opted out there's no choice. Not that I mind my organs being made available, but it should be my choice.

Theres info via this link posted on the other post that will inform you.

https://medconfidential.org/how-to-opt-out/"

Cheers, one I owe you.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Thankfully, because of the uproar about this, the deadline was pushed back. . Even if people opted out for 'all time' the last time this was attempted to be pushed on us, you have to do so again!

Totally wrong the way the government have pushed this enormous workload onto GPs etc, during the pandemic overload crisis!

over a year ago

As long as they don't ask G4 to look after the info I've nowt to hide .... its not like the Russians or Chinese can do anymore damage given what they've done already

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Someone will earn shit loads of money from it, and it probably won't be the NHS.

They'll probably have to pay over the odds for the new medication the research generates.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Who will have access to our medical records "

Those Pesky Russians

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

"I may be being naive, but surely they aren't using this data on an individual level - with individual names and addresses attached. Surely it's being sold and used as a kind of meta-data? So that trends and patterns in health, well-being, lifestyle choices etc can all be monitored and tracked for various commercial purposes, like deciding which drugs to trial and which vaccines to develop?

I've opted out just in case, as I'm not informed enough, however unless my own personal data is being sold in an identifiable way linked back to me, I don't really see the issue?

"

Just like with your photos, as soon as on the Internet, once your data is out there, we have no further control of it. The huge tech companies get rich by amassing and amalgamation of our data. Pseudo-anonymised data isn't that difficult for these people today to crunch through and join all the dots. Future tech will make this much, much easier. AI is already capable of sorting through data and finding the connections and patterns.

The NHS data is worth £billions each year. It's certain that we can't rely on the government to respect our privacy, the value and protection of our health services for many decades to come, etc.

People deserve to be fully respected, to be able to make informed choices and for substantial workloads like this on front line health staff, not to be imposed whilst they are 18 months into our covid health catastrophe.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Those Pesky Russians "

And if they know that I've got a bad knee, there's gonna a couple of guys from the Kremlin trying to "sell" me a dodgy wheelchair

over a year ago

Wheely good joke. ^

By *elightfulharmonyWoman
over a year ago

Cheshire

"Or rather the government does, because it's convenient for the government to use the NHS brand from time to time. Anything you've told your GP about your genitals or head or anywhere in-between is up for grabs. Or your knees, if you've got dodgy knees. The deeply private stuff that you've said and treatment you've received that you assume is confidential is up for sale.

This subject has barely been in the news. It's scary shit. I don't know about you, but I don't trust the government. Tom, why haven't you told us about this?!

You can opt out, if you want to. I've not long opted out myself. If you search engine, National data opt-out, you'll find where you can opt out. It only takes a few minutes. You have until the 23rd of June to opt out."

Thanks for this in my own little bubble total oblivious of this and I work for the nhs not that I have anything worth knowing or could help anyone but to have my info out there is kind of creepy so I’ve decided to opt out and sent it to family for them to have that choice too.

Thank you x

over a year ago

"Or rather the government does, because it's convenient for the government to use the NHS brand from time to time. Anything you've told your GP about your genitals or head or anywhere in-between is up for grabs. Or your knees, if you've got dodgy knees. The deeply private stuff that you've said and treatment you've received that you assume is confidential is up for sale.

You can opt out, if you want to. I've not long opted out myself. If you search engine, National data opt-out, you'll find where you can opt out. It only takes a few minutes. You have until the 23rd of June to opt out.

Thanks for this in my own little bubble total oblivious of this and I work for the nhs not that I have anything worth knowing or could help anyone but to have my info out there is kind of creepy so I’ve decided to opt out and sent it to family for them to have that choice too.

Thank you x"

You're welcome. x

over a year ago

"Not in Wales our Senedd have said no "

That's a relief! Xxx

By *ucifersbitchCouple
over a year ago

manchester

Was just talking about this, need to do it tomorrow

over a year ago

"Not in Wales our Senedd have said no

That's a relief! Xxx"

I've just tried to opt out and it days I've not been found on the system, I presume and hope that's because you are right and I live in Wales

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/06/21 02:35:35]

over a year ago

"[Data removed by poster at 21/06/21 02:35:35]"

over a year ago

Bump for the morning people. There's not long to go.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

If I get better ads popping up then they can have it ,

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

Just so you know

Under the earlier deadline, NHS Digital had told the public they would have until 23 June, a week before the extraction was due to take place.

Under the new deadline

25 August.

However, NHS Digital has denied it offered such advice.

The central government health IT organisation is not providing that guidance, leaving it to GPs to decide when the deadline is.

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

"Not that I'm defending it too much but the sensitive part about you will be encrypted and the information the sell on won't be linked back to you or whoever buys it won't get your name or other personal details. It's just the anonymous medical stuff.

Again I'm not defending it or saying you shouldn't opt out. Just making it known that it's not John Smith from 123 that steet has erectile dysfunction and his stools contain glitter."

I know John!! Didn’t didn’t know about the droopy floop or the sparkly poop!!!

over a year ago

I thought it was so the NHS cam prepare better for future needs by knowing whats affectimg us today that they will hopefully fix for you in future.

over a year ago

You can opt out, if you want to. I've not long opted out myself. If you search engine, National data opt-out, you'll find where you can opt out. It only takes a few minutes. You have until the 23rd of June to opt out."

What’s your name Essex Tom ?

over a year ago

Opted out anyway...thanks for link

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

Because they definitely won’t use your info as you opted out.

In other news, pigs spotted flying over Dartmoor and man takes a damn good kicking from a little fella in a green suit after picking up a crock of gold he found at the end of the rainbow.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

just rember this any data leaving uk shores uk has no data protection on it.

the us privacy shield really means nothing.

ref here from the register

Final guidance on Schrems II ruling: Data from EU could be held up if a third country lets authorities access it

point to take note at

Bringing the case, Schrems argued that once his data was in the US, no EU-style data privacy controls were legally enforceable by him or anyone else in that situation.

which includes the condition that enforceable data subject rights and effective legal remedies for data subjects are available in the country data is sent to.

Therfore any promise of your data been protected is false once it leaves uk shores.

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

Wow...I'm just hearing about this....

Thanks Jim!

over a year ago

What’s your name Essex Tom ? "

Beware of sharks.

over a year ago

Wow...I'm just hearing about this....

Thanks Jim!"

No worries.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Does anyone know the correct link to go to? I Googled it but the NHS site redirects to another so I wasn’t keen to trust it

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

"Does anyone know the correct link to go to? I Googled it but the NHS site redirects to another so I wasn’t keen to trust it "

I can check and change mine within the nhs app , click on the ‘your health’ option and it is the bottom link for me

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"Does anyone know the correct link to go to? I Googled it but the NHS site redirects to another so I wasn’t keen to trust it

I can check and change mine within the nhs app , click on the ‘your health’ option and it is the bottom link for me "

Thank you but I was hoping for a website URL

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

"Does anyone know the correct link to go to? I Googled it but the NHS site redirects to another so I wasn’t keen to trust it

I can check and change mine within the nhs app , click on the ‘your health’ option and it is the bottom link for me

Thank you but I was hoping for a website URL "

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://digital.nhs.uk/your-data/opting-out-of-data-sharing&ved=2ahUKEwidh9_r2qnxAhVJ5uAKHRvICxcQFjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw2-AkEHddWF7uZTNjGduano&cshid=1624312597811

Try that

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

For those that think gdpr is gonna save them not really.

government released an “independent” report on deregulation,

particularly around personal data and your health data, now that the UK can write different rules.

The report pushes the idea that current data privacy rules are “burdensome” and inconvenient for business.

reference here

Why GDPR is more than ‘cookie banners’ and we should worry about its reform

then we have

The raw material of the digital economy is data, so precious now that it’s sometimes referred to as ‘the new oil’. Personal data, for example, once captured, stored and sold, is hugely valuable to employers, insurers and other risk assessors, health providers, and finance companies, among others. The NHS, as a single payer healthcare system, holds one of the world’s most valuable stores of data,

Big Tech want to ban governments from demanding that data is stored in its country of origin: instead it wants an unfettered right to collect, transfer, store, process, sell and otherwise exploit data in any country they choose. Once moved offshore, there are no guarantees that the UK’s laws protecting data can be enforced:

ref here

Big Tech: another reason why the NHS is at risk from trade deals

and another one if you want to read it ref here

Everyone should be worried by big tech's huge NHS data grab.

By *ola cubesMan
over a year ago

coatbridge

Not a worry for me i opted out of computer fmed data when it was being rolled out my medical data is still written and contained in my file never on computer

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

This has been pushed further back now no longer september 1st for data collection

ref: the register

England's controversial extraction of personal medical histories from GP systems is delayed for a second time

We are 'data controllers and doctors with a duty of confidence to their patients'

The LMCs and commissioning groups said they would not share data with the scheme because there had been a lack of informed consent about the proposals. It said NHS Digital should write to every patient telling them how their data would be used under the scheme and offering clear instructions about how to opt out.

It pointed out that "as data controllers and doctors with a duty of confidence to their patients, GPs are obliged to ensure that patients are properly informed of significant new data processing and that their permission has been sought prior to us sharing their data – and that this data is and will be handled responsibly, securely, and transparently."

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

i've just opted out until i know more

thanks jim

over a year ago

"If my info helps find a cure so something that's great. If it doesn't it will be a pretty boring read. "

I agree. I don't know what people think "big pharma" are going to do with the info gleaned, but a national/international database of comparative treatments, cure rates and recovery schedules can only be a useful tool in future diagnosis and successful treatment of conditions.

over a year ago

I’ve opted out

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

Already sharing some data but yea opt out of this one as well

By *wilightTeaseCouple
over a year ago

Nottingham

Jesus Christ.....

Have any of you got friends in medical research? Clearly no. The data is scrubbed of any kind of identifiable data. It is impossible to identify yourself or a patient. If for example you have 1000 patients with a broken leg, but one has an 11th toe, then that patient cannot be in the data set as the patient could potentially identify themselves if they ever read a research paper on broken legs and that was in the foot notes. It is insane the amount of data scrubbing that happens. No point in opting out other than for the detriment of medical research.

By *wilightTeaseCouple
over a year ago

Nottingham

When it is not for medical research, then it is just for your eyes/your doctors and it just means the data can be processed by third parties as the NHS just can’t cope. Billions have been spent on new software that was then all scrapped. External companies usually do a much better job at developing this stuff.

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

"Jesus Christ.....

Have any of you got friends in medical research? Clearly no. The data is scrubbed of any kind of identifiable data. It is impossible to identify yourself or a patient. If for example you have 1000 patients with a broken leg, but one has an 11th toe, then that patient cannot be in the data set as the patient could potentially identify themselves if they ever read a research paper on broken legs and that was in the foot notes. It is insane the amount of data scrubbing that happens. No point in opting out other than for the detriment of medical research."

New databases are data mining. User info is kept anonymous to a point. There’s a hashed index that can connect data points. No one is meant to have the identifiable database. From what I’ve seen they aren’t scrubbing the personal identifiers. Which seemed like a risk to me. As there’s always a risk letting third parties in.

Although the plans been revised a lot.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"If my info helps find a cure so something that's great. If it doesn't it will be a pretty boring read.

I agree. I don't know what people think "big pharma" are going to do with the info gleaned, but a national/international database of comparative treatments, cure rates and recovery schedules can only be a useful tool in future diagnosis and successful treatment of conditions."

you do really need to read up on what your saying so in short

The Health and Care Bill – a planned law by the Conservative government that aims to put private, profit-making businesses at the centre of the English NHS

The Bill will break the NHS in England into 42 separate ‘Integrated Care Systems’ (ICS), each with its own – tight – budget that could lead to cuts in care.

These new organisations would be open to the private sector – and the removal of competitive tendering means contracts could be handed straight to asset-stripping profiteers.

Already, 200 firms are connected to the new ICS structure, including at least 30 US-based health insurance companies.

Companies could be given access to confidential patient information, more patient care will be given by less qualified staff who are cheaper, and non-urgent referrals to hospital delayed or refused because of pressure to make savings.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

They can share away wont bother me x

over a year ago

"Jesus Christ.....

Have any of you got friends in medical research? Clearly no. The data is scrubbed of any kind of identifiable data. It is impossible to identify yourself or a patient. If for example you have 1000 patients with a broken leg, but one has an 11th toe, then that patient cannot be in the data set as the patient could potentially identify themselves if they ever read a research paper on broken legs and that was in the foot notes. It is insane the amount of data scrubbing that happens. No point in opting out other than for the detriment of medical research."

Jimmy Cricket, do you trust the government not to fuck up.

By *ememberTheNameMan
over a year ago

barnsley

They saved my life … I owe them more than my data

By *ryan...Man
over a year ago

1950's Original

Data.....make it so

over a year ago

They saved my life … I owe them more than my data "

Me too

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

There's a lot of scaremongering about this. It's just anonymised data for the purpose of statistics and scaring everyone into opting out is actually really unhelpful as it can impact necessary research or prevent the spotting of trends. All things we need for progress and protecting people's health.

over a year ago

"There's a lot of scaremongering about this. It's just anonymised data for the purpose of statistics and scaring everyone into opting out is actually really unhelpful as it can impact necessary research or prevent the spotting of trends. All things we need for progress and protecting people's health. "

And let’s be honest the government probably know everything about us all anyway, so why worry about it

over a year ago

Thanks for highlighting this! All corporations are doing this now so regardless if you opt our or not people will still trade your data.

Nevertheless I want to say bravo I felt the title of this thread was to draw people in and the message was going to be something funny or benign

By *unkym34Man
over a year ago

London

"There's a lot of scaremongering about this. It's just anonymised data for the purpose of statistics and scaring everyone into opting out is actually really unhelpful as it can impact necessary research or prevent the spotting of trends. All things we need for progress and protecting people's health. "
but it’s actually data that is sold to a 3rd party. That’s the scary thing about it. And if you go on to the actual site that tells you about it tells you what it can be used for and one of the things it says is that it can be used for targeted advertising

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

The NHS’ much-vaunted GP data-sharing initiative looks to be on a prolonged hiatus

1.2 million people opted out of NHS data-sharing in one month in a huge backlash against government plans to make patient data available to private companies, the Observer can reveal.

figures show that in May 107,429 people opted out. In June, a further 1,275,153 followed.

Almost half (45%) of adults in England were unaware of plans for their medical records to be shared with a new NHS database, according to a Which? survey conducted in July.

The debacle conjures up the spectre of the government’s last attempt to shake up patient data-sharing – 2013’s Care.data scheme – which suffered from a number of false starts and was eventually shut down in 2016.

There seems to be an acknowledgement by the government now that it has gone about rolling the GPDPR out in a misguided way, with a lack of transparency and active public involvement in the process, but it remains adamant that there is huge value to be unlocked by tapping into this type of data.

Post new Message to Thread