Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

tablet or ipad

Jump to newest

By *umbriaman1962 OP   Man
over a year ago

outside of penrith

hi my laptop is about the be smashed against the wall screen going plus freezes or very slow

i have a good main desktop for emailing work etc, what i need is something for sitting with near fire front tv etc just to look on here and rést of internet. maybe check hotmail, i would like something i can use as ereader.

i have been looking at blackberry playbook or ipad , i dont know much about them, any coments i was wanting something smaller than laptop i have

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Im afraid i dont know anything much about these kind of things, however i was looking at getting a tablet. But looking at somes ipad it seems to be the right size and what im looking for, plus they have built in internet for when your n a train or something

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have an iPad 3 and can definitely recommend it. What would you like to know?

over a year ago

On the ipad at the moment. Myfamily love it for holidays, all our books games video's painting drawing is on it and of course, email and internet. Only thing with ipad is no flash player so not much good in cam rooms on fab.

over a year ago

outside of penrith

how good are they for using as ereader or are you better having a kindle for that i would like one thing to take on holiday etc

plus did i see someone says web cam was no good for this site

over a year ago

outside of penrith

message above say no good for cam rooms on here most been post as i was writing lol

By *ara JTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol East

I'm sitting in a pub with an iPad I bought last week. Always liked apple stuff. Compared to my old NetBoot and even my Samsung galaxy, this is just fabulous.

By *ap AdgeMan
over a year ago

Wirral

There is a lot of new tablets. Out or comming out. Google nexus. Ipad mini. Then acer are comming out. Windows eight too. Paul

over a year ago

Hubby develops programs for andriod tablets and swears by them. Look for Tegra 3 tablets.

over a year ago

Do NOT buy the Blackberry Playback, we've been told by the networks that's it's being pulled from the shelves.

iPad yeah I have 2, nice and easy to use but doesn't do some things.

Android Tablet, I'd recommend the Galaxy Tab. Does the same things as the iPad but also supports Flash so can use the chatrooms here on it

Just my two penneth worth

over a year ago

"Do NOT buy the Blackberry Playback, we've been told by the networks that's it's being pulled from the shelves.

iPad yeah I have 2, nice and easy to use but doesn't do some things.

Android Tablet, I'd recommend the Galaxy Tab. Does the same things as the iPad but also supports Flash so can use the chatrooms here on it

Just my two penneth worth "

obviously I meant Playbook.... Damn you Auto correct

over a year ago

Look at the 10inch andriod tablets.. much cheaper than the ipads... and do all that they do..

easier for apps.. and built in wifi and most have front cameras too..

My daughter has one for xmas and it has cost £145. and then we added a huge memory card to it.. expandable memory and swapable memory is why we didnt even look at the ipad.. That and the fact I dislike apple as a brand.

You would think that a huge brand like apple would have now listened and added java applications.

Cali

Cali

over a year ago

iPad all the way

over a year ago

"iPad all the way "

Absolutely 100%!

over a year ago

You couldn't give me an Apple product as I hate the way they don't have USB ports and direct almost everything through iTunes.

I'm looking at a Galaxy Note at the moment as it's big enough to operate effectively as a mini-PC but small enough to act as a phone. Plus I can get all my work stuff on instead of humping around the 17th Edition of the Electrical Wiring Regs, Document P of the Building Regs, my On-Site Guide and all by wiring schematics lol

over a year ago

"You couldn't give me an Apple product as I hate the way they don't have USB ports and direct almost everything through iTunes.

I'm looking at a Galaxy Note at the moment as it's big enough to operate effectively as a mini-PC but small enough to act as a phone. Plus I can get all my work stuff on instead of humping around the 17th Edition of the Electrical Wiring Regs, Document P of the Building Regs, my On-Site Guide and all by wiring schematics lol "

Quite a few apple products have usb ports, and the ones that don't, can get a little adapter no problem.

By *r and Mrs SnogalotCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

There is an app that you can download for the I-pad to allow you to view cams. It's not brilliant, but it works.

Shy xxx

over a year ago

Mr Slut here. I would definitely recommend an iPad for this. It has great support for reading PDFs, eBooks (Kindle and other formats), magazines (Zinio and Newsstand), as well as full access to any email account you have.

It also has a great battery life, excellent screen, and is a joy to use.

Yes, it doesn't have a USB port but I've never missed on in two years. Dropbox allows me to sync things with a PC with ease.

over a year ago

"You couldn't give me an Apple product as I hate the way they don't have USB ports and direct almost everything through iTunes.

I'm looking at a Galaxy Note at the moment as it's big enough to operate effectively as a mini-PC but small enough to act as a phone. Plus I can get all my work stuff on instead of humping around the 17th Edition of the Electrical Wiring Regs, Document P of the Building Regs, my On-Site Guide and all by wiring schematics lol

Quite a few apple products have usb ports, and the ones that don't, can get a little adapter no problem."

Wasn't aware that had changed. The iPads don't have them plus I still can't abide feckin iTunes (have it on this pc though as Siren uses it to sync her iPhone - although she only does it twice a year but it still parks itself in my system memory like it thinks it's going to be used daily!! GRRRR)

over a year ago

Quite a few apple products have usb ports, and the ones that don't, can get a little adapter no problem.

Wasn't aware that had changed. The iPads don't have them plus I still can't abide feckin iTunes (have it on this pc though as Siren uses it to sync her iPhone - although she only does it twice a year but it still parks itself in my system memory like it thinks it's going to be used daily!! GRRRR)"

Can change that to prevent that happening, and no the iPad doesn't as my OH just posted, but other Apple products do eg a Mac, and they are fab too! Lol

over a year ago

"

Wasn't aware that had changed. The iPads don't have them plus I still can't abide feckin iTunes (have it on this pc though as Siren uses it to sync her iPhone - although she only does it twice a year but it still parks itself in my system memory like it thinks it's going to be used daily!! GRRRR)"

All Macs have them though. I never use iTunes, all sync is now done wirelessly for me. Can't remember the last time I started it up!

over a year ago

Agree with the others - don't go for the Blackberry as RIM are probably going to stop supporting it ...

Ipads are good ...

and some Android tablets are nearly there in terms of quality....

Have a look at the new Google tablets, or the Windows Slate which are coming out soon

over a year ago

"

Wasn't aware that had changed. The iPads don't have them plus I still can't abide feckin iTunes (have it on this pc though as Siren uses it to sync her iPhone - although she only does it twice a year but it still parks itself in my system memory like it thinks it's going to be used daily!! GRRRR)

All Macs have them though. I never use iTunes, all sync is now done wirelessly for me. Can't remember the last time I started it up!

"

Damn you my OH haha, I was just going to say can sync wirelessly no problem

over a year ago

I wish my iPhone would grow up into an iPad

over a year ago

Ipads are good yes, but in terms of technology tablets are now catching up RAPIDLY !!

Personally i would choose an android tablet for more functionality and compatibility ! I would hold out a bit longer as there is the new Microsoft Surface coming out as well as other tablets

There is also the Asus transformer which is an awesome piece of kit, a little more expensive but comes with a purpose built keyboard you just slot it onto to or you can use it as a tablet

Just my opinion lol

over a year ago

New iPad all the way, love mine, and my iPhone ......... Syncs with drop box so I can get what I want where I want

over a year ago

Go For for a new android tab unless you're desperate to worship at the temple of Jobs.

They're cheaper than Ipad and do exactly the same thing. All apps are made for both platforms these days, android is outselling apple as people wake up to the cost issue. Plus any accessories you want won't cost the earth.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

I'm looking at a Galaxy Note at the moment as it's big enough to operate effectively as a mini-PC but small enough to act as a phone. Plus I can get all my work stuff on instead of humping around the 17th Edition of the Electrical Wiring Regs, Document P of the Building Regs, my On-Site Guide and all by wiring schematics lol "

I agree AGAIN wishy the Itunes issue and lack of usb and flash is compromise for me ,especially when there are so many good android units out now

I use a HP TM2 with a touch and swivel screen + 8gig ram and 750gig hd . ok its a lot thicker than than apple at 730mm folded or a android come to that. but it can do anything a full on desktop can do has a full qwerty kb,add the thinnix software and it can blow most touch screen stuff away full stop.

Shakes head at agreeing with wishy 3 times in a week and mumbles must make appointment to see doctor.

over a year ago

When I went to buy one originally I was vascilating between the ipad and Samsung. Went for the Samsung in the end

over a year ago

"hi my laptop is about the be smashed against the wall screen going plus freezes or very slow

i have a good main desktop for emailing work etc, what i need is something for sitting with near fire front tv etc just to look on here and rést of internet. maybe check hotmail, i would like something i can use as ereader.

i have been looking at blackberry playbook or ipad , i dont know much about them, any coments i was wanting something smaller than laptop i have "

Well if you look at reviews one thing isn't ideal for everything so you have to prioritise what you need to do with what ever device you buy.

Word processing etc you won't beat a laptop or pc with a dedicated keyboard. Portability and battery life then the ipad is a good choice (don't let storage issues put you off as you can get wifi drives which address that issue). Its all horses for courses as they say.

The best option is both but then you are talking added expense possibly for high end items of both.

The reality is there is no ideal as everyone requirements are different that's why there isn't a definitive model on the market and there are so many options available.

Post new Message to Thread