Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Capital Punishment

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I was saddend to hear of the death of Winnie Johnson who throught her ordeal was a beacon of decorum and intelligence. However the issue of Capital Punishment has been raised in the papers today (with specific reference to Ian Brady)In my opinion is seriously (mentally) ill but would it be reasonable to seek the death penalty for him and others like him?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My heart says yes, but my head says no.

Who would you actually give the death penalty too? There are some vicious criminals doing all sorts of harm. Anything from gangbanging some inocent girl who will be torchered all through her life. Would we have capital punishment for all murderers or just some murderers.

For the likes of ian brady i would like to see him locked in a cell, day in day out with no stimilus, just him and his warped mind, dont think it would be to long before he topped himself, without having to bring capital punishment back

By *U1966Man
over a year ago

Devon

Death penalty bring it back now and offer

those serving life the opportunity to volunteer to clear up some prison space

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I was saddend to hear of the death of Winnie Johnson who throught her ordeal was a beacon of decorum and intelligence. However the issue of Capital Punishment has been raised in the papers today (with specific reference to Ian Brady)In my opinion is seriously (mentally) ill but would it be reasonable to seek the death penalty for him and others like him?"

You acknowledge that he is seriously mentally ill and then suggest he should be executed anyway...

By *onboy777Man
over a year ago

Newark

With today's technology and DNA proof all peapo's child molesters kiddie killers etc should be given the death penalty without question

over a year ago

"I was saddend to hear of the death of Winnie Johnson who throught her ordeal was a beacon of decorum and intelligence. However the issue of Capital Punishment has been raised in the papers today (with specific reference to Ian Brady)In my opinion is seriously (mentally) ill but would it be reasonable to seek the death penalty for him and others like him?

You acknowledge that he is seriously mentally ill and then suggest he should be executed anyway... Not at all. I asked the question posed by some editorials in the papers today. I am against the death penalty as we would have innocent people being killed by the state if the sanction was on the stature book, I am thinking of Stefan Kitzcho, the Birmingham six.

"

over a year ago

"My heart says yes, but my head says no."

i agree with this because the idea of getting another evil person of the street for good sounds great, However there is rarely if ever 100% proof it was the said person. So if for example i saw somebody laying on the floor knife sticking out of their abdomen naturally i would try helping (stemming the blood etc) as soon as i touch the victim my dna is there if they find no other evidence for the crime it all points to me so i would get the death penalty for trying to help?

over a year ago

Ian Brady is suicidal and wants to die. He's been sectioned to prevent it.

In his case, yes, I'd have shot him years ago. Why keep him locked up and costing public funds?

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

No No No and No

What will a death penalty do to someone who lost his loved one due to a crime?

What if by mistake somebody has been wrongly accused and executed then the real culprit is found after???

We leave in a sociaty that try to put back to real social life those who offended

Death for death???? Nobody win at all

over a year ago

This is one of those subjects that i end up vacillating over, life for a life or life imprisonment...

We can argue that taking away someone's freedom of movement is enough but I sway more to the opinion of just get rid.

I think 10 years on death row to appeal on so on, if still guilty, then put to sleep would probably work well.

over a year ago

No i disagree with the death penalty x

over a year ago

the pit from dark knight rises sounds like a good idea to me

over a year ago

I think it would be a good idea to bring back hanging, either that or life should mean life and not just a few years.

over a year ago

Am gonna throw something else in the mix and dont wanna be hounded or crucified cos of it .................

how about we lock the person up who we believe is guilty - in a cell on their own (Dont all holler at once I know there is no room ...), just go with the flow here, the being in the cell on their own is so no other influence can make the person do what they might do ..... the person in the cell is not allowed to read or see their notoriety, and are left to dwell on their crime - they are fed and given basic human rights - how long before they decide they wanna do something about their situation like the Fred Wests of this world, we shouldnt intervene if they decide to take their own lives ........... how many murderers, heinious crime people will take their lives, - me thinks not that many - me thinks it will be the "ill" ones that do or the vulnerable ones that cant foresee the rest of their lives in a situation like this ............

I, however believe, that if a person has "honestly" admitted their crime, even albeit after being caught red handed and they wanna take their lives, then society shouldnt stop them - but, this is open to interpretation and coercion in our society as well and therefore not necessarily borne out of guilt - but out of threat and fear ie the soham murderer (cant think of his bloody name!!!) - just a different _iewpoint and nothing is ever gonna be failsafe in my opinion

By *edbagioMan
over a year ago

ripon

just put them in a cell;

take away x box and tv

make it like doing time.

wouldnt want hanging in a way

the state would deff hang the wrong

people like assange

over a year ago

I hate this subject, I like a lot of people have kneejerk reactions to some crimes I hear of, often when I hear of some f'kin toe rag that reoffends over and over again, with no respect for anyone, I think... can't they just make them quietly disappear?

But I also know that's a really selfish, 'pass the buck' attitude I have, cos I don't have the answers and I don't want to have to think of the answers

I read an article once about the families (in America) of people who did get the death sentence... it was as heart breaking reading how they felt as it was hearing how the original victims families felt.

All it seems to do is spread the pain to yet more 'innocent' people.

I still don't have the answers but know it's wrong to put other families through what essentially is the same painful experience

By *edbagioMan
over a year ago

ripon

"I hate this subject, I like a lot of people have kneejerk reactions to some crimes I hear of, often when I hear of some f'kin toe rag that reoffends over and over again, with no respect for anyone, I think... can't they just make them quietly disappear?

But I also know that's a really selfish, 'pass the buck' attitude I have, cos I don't have the answers and I don't want to have to think of the answers

I read an article once about the families (in America) of people who did get the death sentence... it was as heart breaking reading how they felt as it was hearing how the original victims families felt.

All it seems to do is spread the pain to yet more 'innocent' people.

I still don't have the answers but know it's wrong to put other families through what essentially is the same painful experience "

well put; sums it all up/eye for an eye we all go blind

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

No

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

I do not agree with the death penalty, never will. Yes DNA advancements make it easy to determine a killer. They also make it very easy for a dodgy copper to plant evidence and stitch someone up. And who is to judge who gets the death penalty? The man who kills his victim, or the one who touches up a 10 year old, leaving her to live with that for the rest of her life? Both mess up a life, but only one has ended a life.

over a year ago

"This is one of those subjects that i end up vacillating over, life for a life or life imprisonment...

We can argue that taking away someone's freedom of movement is enough but I sway more to the opinion of just get rid.

I think 10 years on death row to appeal on so on, if still guilty, then put to sleep would probably work well.

"

Why 10 years?

Do all unsafe convictions get overturned in that time?

And if you have faith in the conviction why wait 10 years?

over a year ago

"I think it would be a good idea to bring back hanging, either that or life should mean life and not just a few years.

"

Yes indeed let's bring back hanging for convicted murderers. And while we are at it let's bring back burning at the stake for women we think are witches. Let's cut off the hands of those who steal, the noses and ears of women who are adulterous,and flog and keel haul sailors who disobey their officers........

Not.

This is the twenty first century not the eighteenth and happily there are enough people who don't want the savagery and brutality of the past brought into the present to ensure that it won't be.

over a year ago

" Why 10 years?

Do all unsafe convictions get overturned in that time?

And if you have faith in the conviction why wait 10 years?

"

I may be wrong... But I believe that it can take 10 years to follow all due process in the US appeals system...

over a year ago

"I think it would be a good idea to bring back hanging, either that or life should mean life and not just a few years.

Yes indeed let's bring back hanging for convicted murderers. And while we are at it let's bring back burning at the stake for women we think are witches. Let's cut off the hands of those who steal, the noses and ears of women who are adulterous,and flog and keel haul sailors who disobey their officers........

Not.

This is the twenty first century not the eighteenth and happily there are enough people who don't want the savagery and brutality of the past brought into the present to ensure that it won't be.

Hear Hear...........once we commit to legal murder we resort to barbarisim.

"

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

I was once told by an uncle that to sentence someone to death took a little of your humanity away each time. I would however concur that life should mean life with hard labour too.

I also believe that when someone attacks, beats, steals etc that they forfeit theirown human rights as they have taken their victims human rights away.

over a year ago

The only problem i have with it is if you say hang a killer and then find out he or she's not guilty, theres been so many cases where people locked up for years in prison get let out because theres new evidence or someone lied. Off the top of my head Trupti Patel for example,she was jailed for killing 3 of her babies then the idiots found out it was infact cot death,imagine how that poor woman feels ? and she could of been hanged for it.

over a year ago

I'm totally against the death penalty. It never solves anything does it? And howdes killing someone atone for killing someone? The people who want it brought back are quite happy for someone else to carry out the sentence, but probably wouldn't be so quick if they had to do it themselves.

I love it when people say "if we brought back the death penalty it would save the

taxpayer Alot of money as they won't be in prison for life." Well the counter to this argument is that murders are actually rare and the prisons are

mainly full of people who have committed lesser crimes and a lot of reoffenders. So from a financial point of

_iew it makes more sense to kill them and have one prison just for murderers.

By *am sampsonMan
over a year ago

cwmbran

The death penalty was removed because public opinion demanded it after several people were hung and later found innocent. DNA can be transferred or even planted so it alone would never prove anything

over a year ago

The guilford four or the Birmingham six would have all Hung for crimes they never done

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

most definately not..

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 19/08/12 17:23:02]

over a year ago

I am not for it but if someone convicted of murder decided a lifetime in prison was too much fro them then I would give them the option of euthanasia.

over a year ago

No

and definitely not for people who have been diagnosed as mentally ill

why would anyone advocate that?

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"I am not for it but if someone convicted of murder decided a lifetime in prison was too much fro them then I would give them the option of euthanasia."

Now my thoughts are the other way round, why should we let them choose to have a painfree death. Taking Ian Brady for example, he wants to die, hes on hunger strike. Hes not having the best of lives at the moment, im sure hes not going through anything like the little boys mother suffered for all those years before he died. There are terminally ill people in dreadful pain that are being refused euthanasia, so why should someone like him benefit. I would love him to have a long drawn out painful death. He could easily have said where the body was, or that he didnt know where it was, but right up to that poor womans death he did neither

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"I am not for it but if someone convicted of murder decided a lifetime in prison was too much fro them then I would give them the option of euthanasia.

Now my thoughts are the other way round, why should we let them choose to have a painfree death. Taking Ian Brady for example, he wants to die, hes on hunger strike. Hes not having the best of lives at the moment, im sure hes not going through anything like the little boys mother suffered for all those years before he died. There are terminally ill people in dreadful pain that are being refused euthanasia, so why should someone like him benefit. I would love him to have a long drawn out painful death. He could easily have said where the body was, or that he didnt know where it was, but right up to that poor womans death he did neither"

Any pain he suffered in this life is nothing to what he has caused to their victims and families

By *o-jCouple
over a year ago

Outskirts of Notts

Give them asuspended sentance ....

hang 'em

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

It is my extremely strong opinion that we do not return to capital punishment.

By *o-jCouple
over a year ago

Outskirts of Notts

If only for certain crimes ....Defo for suicide bombers

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

isnt that sharia law ?

over a year ago

they have capital punishment in the states, it does nothing to reduce the murder rate, if fact it works the opposite, as some people murder in a hope that they dont get caught for there crimes, so in my opinion, no to capital punishment, but yes to taking away all there rights, including human, like tv, radio, newspapers , mixing with other inmates ect etc

By *o-jCouple
over a year ago

Outskirts of Notts

Sorry didn't realise we were being serious

over a year ago

My parents believe in capital punishment and therefore I also used to think it was right. However, I read a book by John Grisham called The Chamber which,among other things, changed my mind.

Yes there is the problem of those wrongly convicted, but also where do you draw the line on who does or doesn't, what crimes are punishable by death? Those that hit the headlines and get public outrage are more likely to be swayed. Should a crime of passion be treated differently from a crime of greed or perversion?

Lastly, there will be plenty of those that disagree with me here, but I don't believe two wrongs make a right and taking somebody's life is wrong no matter what the reason. Life should mean life in prison though.

Post new Message to Thread