Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Babes and Hun, Lol.

Jump to newest

By *ornucopia OP   Man
over a year ago

Bexley

I've met someone (from another site, who won't be reading this) who I am pleased to say is mainly content to contact me via SMS rather than any proprietary medium.

The only problem is that she insists on calling me 'Babes' or 'Hun', both of which I inherently detest (I only live near the wood and am not related to Attila). To make things even worse, she rounds messages off with 'Lol'.

Does anyone else dislike these terms and if so do you just grin and bear it and hope that your own never using them might drop a hint?

I haven't got the heart to tell her.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Meh... They're just words

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

"I've met someone (from another site, who won't be reading this) who I am pleased to say is mainly content to contact me via SMS rather than any proprietary medium.

The only problem is that she insists on calling me 'Babes' or 'Hun', both of which I inherently detest (I only live near the wood and am not related to Attila). To make things even worse, she rounds messages off with 'Lol'.

Does anyone else dislike these terms and if so do you just grin and bear it and hope that your own never using them might drop a hint?

I haven't got the heart to tell her."

lol

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Have to say I use lol a lot. Apparently it's a generation thing.

Also.... Does she mean lots of love or laugh out loud?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If said straight from the outset. I would find it a bit childish.

But if I have known the person for a bit then it doesn't bother me.

over a year ago

I can't stand pet names. For me it's because of my job and we aren't allowed to use pet names as it's usually a term of endearment between couples, loved ones etc.

I will ask people to use my name instead.

By *anae21Woman
over a year ago

Nearer than you think

I'm with you, OP; it annoys me, too.

'Lol' is sometimes pebbledashed on a paragraph so it loses all emphasis; perhaps it's laziness rather than articulating their emotions?

over a year ago

I'm not a fan of the 'words' and wouldn't use them myself but it doesn't bother me if others use them - it's part of who they are.

By *ornucopia OP   Man
over a year ago

Bexley

"Have to say I use lol a lot. Apparently it's a generation thing.

Also.... Does she mean lots of love or laugh out loud? "

Like me, she (at 58) probably remembers 'LOL' meaning lots of love in family letters but I have no doubt she now is using it where an exclamation mark would do adequately!

By *ornucopia OP   Man
over a year ago

Bexley

Perhaps I should have explained that I particularly dislike 'Babes' due to the unnecessary pluralisation (like far too many club names on here) and 'Hun' because of the spelling.

Not totally anti pet names in the right context but those two plus gratuitous lols definitely 'ROFL' my feathers!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Hmmm it depends. I don't mind lol. I really dislike babe, babes, hun etc in messages on here because there are two of us and I think it's rude.

Being in my sixties "darling" was the pet name of choice for most of my life, these other words just sound wrong in my ears when applied to me

over a year ago

"Hmmm it depends. I don't mind lol. I really dislike babe, babes, hun etc in messages on here because there are two of us and I think it's rude.

Being in my sixties "darling" was the pet name of choice for most of my life, these other words just sound wrong in my ears when applied to me"

Alright me duck

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

We started calling each other ‘babes’ as a joke...but we did it so often it stuck. We use it all the time now...

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

I hate them too and just say. They will still do it but hopefully less.

By *azkinsWoman
over a year ago

leeds

I'm half Hungarian so I probably am related to Atilla. But hate hun with a passion. Same as babe I'm not a pig.

By *gent CoulsonMan
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

I don't like to be called babe or hun.

I am guilty of sometimes calling someone love, as it's very much a Yorkshire way of addressing someone, especially when you can't remember their name

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"I don't like to be called babe or hun.

I am guilty of sometimes calling someone love, as it's very much a Yorkshire way of addressing someone, especially when you can't remember their name "

That or duck.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

A certain someone calls me Babe all the time ...

I actually quite like it , it's better than Twat

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

"A certain someone calls me Babe all the time ...

I actually quite like it , it's better than Twat "

Rude.

Moose.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I hate lol but I use it all the time . I hate being called babe but I often call people babe. Not babes though. And not if I don’t know them well. I think babe is a southern thing to be honest. Never heard it used until I moved daaaarn saaaaarf

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Rude.

Moose."

Is that because I'm always horny or I look like one

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

"I'm half Hungarian so I probably am related to Atilla. But hate hun with a passion. Same as babe I'm not a pig. "

Aren't most people? I heard that he was that prolific.

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

Rude.

Moose.

Is that because I'm always horny or I look like one "

I don't know. I haven't decided yet. It came to me one day and it stuck.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Rude.

Moose.

Is that because I'm always horny or I look like one

I don't know. I haven't decided yet. It came to me one day and it stuck."

It was rather random yes

over a year ago

It's a living nightmare for you, poor sod. I wouldn't dwell on the pet names, I'd only see that a women was writing to me.

By *ornucopia OP   Man
over a year ago

Bexley

"It's a living nightmare for you, poor sod. I wouldn't dwell on the pet names, I'd only see that a women was writing to me. "

The real nightmare is that I'm beginning to suspect that, in this instance, 'hun' could be a short form of 'husband'.

Then I would be a poor sod!

By *orace pinkerMan
over a year ago

North west

"I've met someone (from another site, who won't be reading this) who I am pleased to say is mainly content to contact me via SMS rather than any proprietary medium.

Tell her to fuck right off, can't stand that talk

over a year ago

I dislike babe and babes and hun is just ew. Just ask her to call you by your first name … say that you love her using your real name? It’s not such a bad thing to ask of someone … especially if you’re planning on being friends a while? … surely it’s ok to bring up the odd stuff?

Lol … ehhhh I’m keeping quiet about that one as it’s there in black & white on our profile and I am tryyyyying to stop doing it

*whispers lol

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Tell her to fuck right off, can't stand that talk"

bit harsh

By *andycandy88Woman
over a year ago

Northolt

Awww I love to call women hun babe babes and a guy that I like gets called it too well maybe not so much hun

I use lol but only if I feel its necessary otherwise to me its pointless but alot of people are in the habit of using lol especially and to me when it's overdone I wonder if it's to show that their nervous or unsure xx

over a year ago

"Awww I love to call women hun babe babes and a guy that I like gets called it too well maybe not so much hun

I use lol but only if I feel its necessary otherwise to me its pointless but alot of people are in the habit of using lol especially and to me when it's overdone I wonder if it's to show that their nervous or unsure xx"

come here babe. how was your day.

fuck your day, lets just go to bed x

over a year ago

Depends lol i use and can live with as long as it really is a laugh out loud, not I'm going to be passive aggressive and add a lol to soften the blow. My lols are me laughing.

Did she start calling you babes ect from the outset...if so should have nipped it in the bud, if its developed then maybe its because thats her way of connecting with you in her mind, less online cold. If it really grates on you either way I'd say...

hey...name... i love that our chat is going well and you feel comfortable calling me ...insert... it's just that i prefer to save those terms of endearment affection for when we really know each other, I know to some people they're just nice words but to me when i say it i mean it.

If she gets a cob on you've dodged a bullet, if not she may slip up which you can make a joke of, say what now?

How does that sound?

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Bad luck babes ..lol

over a year ago

"Depends lol i use and can live with as long as it really is a laugh out loud, not I'm going to be passive aggressive and add a lol to soften the blow. My lols are me laughing.

Did she start calling you babes ect from the outset...if so should have nipped it in the bud, if its developed then maybe its because thats her way of connecting with you in her mind, less online cold. If it really grates on you either way I'd say...

hey...name... i love that our chat is going well and you feel comfortable calling me ...insert... it's just that i prefer to save those terms of endearment affection for when we really know each other, I know to some people they're just nice words but to me when i say it i mean it.

If she gets a cob on you've dodged a bullet, if not she may slip up which you can make a joke of, say what now?

How does that sound?

"

hey sweet. hows my fav babe from plymouth

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

Wales

Just tell her. If she doesn’t know about it she can’t alter it. And if she doesn’t want to alter it then you’ll both have saved each other wasted time in finding out you are even more incompatible.

over a year ago

"Depends lol i use and can live with as long as it really is a laugh out loud, not I'm going to be passive aggressive and add a lol to soften the blow. My lols are me laughing.

How does that sound?

hey sweet. hows my fav babe from plymouth "

over a year ago

Just say it. It's putting you off and most people can control it once they are told humorous and gentle does it

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

Hate the word hun here and in real life!

Also nawty really annoys me too

over a year ago

"Hate the word hun here and in real life!

Also nawty really annoys me too "

so your not nawty then?

owwwww

By *andycandy88Woman
over a year ago

Northolt

"Awww I love to call women hun babe babes and a guy that I like gets called it too well maybe not so much hun

I use lol but only if I feel its necessary otherwise to me its pointless but alot of people are in the habit of using lol especially and to me when it's overdone I wonder if it's to show that their nervous or unsure xx

come here babe. how was your day.

fuck your day, lets just go to bed x"

Loooooooool danger ranger xx this tickled me

By *ornucopia OP   Man
over a year ago

Bexley

How does that sound?

Just tell her. If she doesn’t know about it she can’t alter it. And if she doesn’t want to alter it then you’ll both have saved each other wasted time in finding out you are even more incompatible.

"

Two sound pieces of advice there.

Needless to say, there is no physical incompatibility or it wouldn't have got this far. However, I should have said something about babes and Hun right at the start but was hoping that my non-reciprocation might drop the hint.

On balance, I might just ignore it. I have had previous relationships where the sex was good but conjugal life was ruled out by repeated use of phrases which I couldn't bear to hear used such as: 'You get ma drift?'. Another would add '..and blah blah blah' to almost everything (that drove me crackers).

Luckily I've not had to endure a 'you know?', a 'djinott ar mean?' or an 'I was like' user as a lover....yet!

I've observed 'you know' spreading like covid once one person introduces it into a conversation. It gets picked up very easily.

I need to find an annoying phrase for me to use, with the too keen, which will have the same deterrent effect as the 19 inch wide rack mounted Wayne Kerr Performance Meter (looked like an oscilloscope) which I kept in my bedroom to frighten off those dreaming of wedding bells.

Bar all the hobbies related junk and my fancy free nature, I'm too much of a good catch, especially with no children who I know about. That's the real problem!

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

"Hate the word hun here and in real life!

Also nawty really annoys me too

so your not nawty then?

owwwww

"

Not with anyone who starts a first message with hi nawty, then usually carries on with a cringe message

By *ornucopia OP   Man
over a year ago

Bexley

"..

Just say it. It's putting you off and most people can control it once they are told humorous and gentle does it "

Thanks, that one came in while I was typing!

I could always say "I've been discussing pet names with my friends on Fab Swingers and the consensus is... ". That in itself might cool things adequately, especially as it wasn't here that we met!

By *stwo80Couple
over a year ago

yorkshire

Pet hates for us the use of both those titles.

We have always had reference to it on our profile

over a year ago

"..

Just say it. It's putting you off and most people can control it once they are told humorous and gentle does it

Thanks, that one came in while I was typing!

I could always say "I've been discussing pet names with my friends on Fab Swingers and the consensus is... ". That in itself might cool things adequately, especially as it wasn't here that we met! "

Me and my friends opinion vs your annoying habit. Hmm.. Maybe something else.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Give her the benefit of the doubt for a short coffee meet........

If she calls you babes or hun or LOLs every time you speak NEVER darken her door again ......

If I was getting that when texting with someone i'd know right away that we were not going to be able to converse.......

Mind you if he was 6ft and sexy I'd meet just to do the dirties once.

Give it a go ....

By *ornucopia OP   Man
over a year ago

Bexley

"Give her the benefit of the doubt for a short coffee meet........

If she calls you babes or hun or LOLs every time you speak NEVER darken her door again ......

If I was getting that when texting with someone i'd know right away that we were not going to be able to converse.......

Mind you if he was 6ft and sexy I'd meet just to do the dirties once.

Give it a go ...."

It got well beyond the coffee stage by the second meet. The physical attraction is not in doubt.

The choice of terms of endearment is merely symptomatic of of my realisation that various underlying differences will inevitably stop things at some point.

For that reason I'm inclined to not go down the route of using the consensus on here as a lever.

Finally, if 'the dirties' are enjoyable, why stop at just once?

By *issAphroditeWoman
over a year ago

Norwich

They are pet peeves of mine, too. I appreciate there are regional variations but I hate those particular words (and a whole lot of others). Basically I'm a bit of a pedant about words and their usage.

By *ed VoluptaWoman
over a year ago

Wirral.

Can't stand being called Babe, Babes or even worse, Bbe! Also hate the use of lol. I'll never use it and it puts me off someone if they use it.

over a year ago

With you on this one babes. Lol (seriously, cannot abide these words).

By *ornucopia OP   Man
over a year ago

Bexley

Well, after 20 weeks of being addressed by text as 'Babes', I finally cracked and texted her explaining my displeasure. For good measure, I added that 'hun' was also off limits.

I even, helpfully, suggested that my name would do just fine!

By *ollycouple71Couple
over a year ago

manchester

Tell her to fuck right off, can't stand that talk"

rude doesn't bother me also get called flower.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Lol has kind of turned into punctuation. Sometimes it's hard to get the intonation in a message so the lol helps. Especially with sarcasm, not that I'm ever sarcastic...

The Hun and babes is fine by me, it's just what they use and that's cool as it's their personality.

I'd like to call everyone bub like wolverine but don't think I could pull it off.

over a year ago

Calm down sweetie it's just words dahlink

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I have a horrible habit of "babe"ing people. I try to avoid in messages but face to face it just slips out and I can't seem to stop it.

At least it's not babes or hun I suppose (hun always makes me think I'm about to have a sales pitch for a MLM scheme).

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Old friend of mine used “cock”, as in “alright cock?”

Never forget the local landlady’s face when he paid for some drinks and asked, “got enough, cock”.

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

I call people buddy if I forget their name.

It’s had mixed reviews.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"I can't stand pet names. For me it's because of my job and we aren't allowed to use pet names as it's usually a term of endearment between couples, loved ones etc.

I will ask people to use my name instead. "

OK, I'll do that 4373

over a year ago

I absolutely hate it.

I have to say, I’m quite a sexist way, men who write “lol” is a real turn off.

By *ollycouple71Couple
over a year ago

manchester

"Old friend of mine used “cock”, as in “alright cock?”

Never forget the local landlady’s face when he paid for some drinks and asked, “got enough, cock”.

"

My Nana use to say that

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I do cringe a little if someone calls me babe or hun. If it’s a younger person saying it, I guess it’s not quite as bad as I see it more as a generational type thing.

Maybe I’m just a grumpy old fart

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I'd like to call everyone bub like wolverine but don't think I could pull it off. "

Only really works when being a little stand offish and passive aggressive.

As for the OP, there are plenty of words that are frustrating, a lot of them are regional and just a thing said. Some may be stereotypical like the geordie "pet" or the Bristolian "me lover"

Others are generational. Some are just habitual like the bizzare xx I get at the end of some messages and texts of people I'm not familiar with.

Unless it was directly offensive then I'd not let words get in the way of something good. Until a deeper familiarity is formed and I would piss take their overuse of the words as friendly bant... No, I fucking hate that word... I refuse to use it

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"I'd like to call everyone bub like wolverine but don't think I could pull it off.

Only really works when being a little stand offish and passive aggressive.

As for the OP, there are plenty of words that are frustrating, a lot of them are regional and just a thing said. Some may be stereotypical like the geordie "pet" or the Bristolian "me lover"

Others are generational. Some are just habitual like the bizzare xx I get at the end of some messages and texts of people I'm not familiar with.

Unless it was directly offensive then I'd not let words get in the way of something good. Until a deeper familiarity is formed and I would piss take their overuse of the words as friendly bant... No, I fucking hate that word... I refuse to use it "

Oh yes definitely works and have used it in that context, along with petal and cupcake.

By *amie HantsWoman
over a year ago

Atlantis

Someone at work called me flower and I’m still beaming from it. I’m definitely giving her a Christmas card.

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

I only use Hun when my intention is to be annoying not because I actually call people I like that.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"Someone at work called me flower and I’m still beaming from it. I’m definitely giving her a Christmas card. "

To quote Peter Gabriel then David Bowie "A Flower?"

By *azzuMan
over a year ago

belfast

"Someone at work called me flower and I’m still beaming from it. I’m definitely giving her a Christmas card. "

Awk thats nice petal

over a year ago

I don’t like it. It makes the person sound not very bright, which probably isn’t the case at all! Plus, it’s really overfamiliar, so I’d wonder about their boundaries in general.

over a year ago

I need all the pet names please/ thanks/ cheers

Post new Message to Thread