Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

First Music Purchase

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What was the first record you ever bought and how much was it? For those younger readers for record read CD and for those even younger read downloaded!

Mine was Lola by The Kinks and it was 6/8 which meant in old money you could get three for a pound! Nostalgia!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Mine was Gina G - Fresh. At the same time i bought the Smurfs 97 album on CD also

Cassette versions were available but i went for the CD option.

By *he one you wantMan
over a year ago

kidsgrove

Rednecks, cotton eye Joe...... I'll get my coat now

over a year ago

can't remember the exact record but can remember buying "Now thats what i call music" as in the original LP what number is it up to now ?lol

over a year ago

Police....Every breath you take

No idea how much i paid

over a year ago

"can't remember the exact record but can remember buying "Now thats what i call music" as in the original LP what number is it up to now ?lol

"

lol 81 i think =-O

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

The first record i bought was Stardust by david essex and it cost 49p as i bought it with a 50p record token id been given.

over a year ago

"Rednecks, cotton eye Joe...... I'll get my coat now"

I know the dance routine to that.. they did a version called 'old pop and an oak' too

over a year ago

"can't remember the exact record but can remember buying "Now thats what i call music" as in the original LP what number is it up to now ?lol

"

My first LP was Deep Purple in Rock! it was 15/11 (fifteen shilling and eleven pence) or 79p in todays money!

over a year ago

It was the album in cassette format (Google it if you are young enough not to know what that is) for Saturday Night Fever.

over a year ago

Alice Cooper schools out, 1972, 45p

By *ild Bill Thickcock.Man
over a year ago

Wet Beaver Creek

"What was the first record you ever bought and how much was it? For those younger readers for record read CD and for those even younger read downloaded!

Mine was Lola by The Kinks and it was 6/8 which meant in old money you could get three for a pound! Nostalgia!!"

6/8 ?

I was 14 in 1972 and so you would have been 4 and you bought a Kinks single

Yeah right

over a year ago

"The first record i bought was Stardust by david essex and it cost 49p as i bought it with a 50p record token id been given.

"

Great record.........1975 ish??

By *anesjhCouple
over a year ago

LONDON.

Back to life...Soul to soul

over a year ago

"It was the album in cassette format (Google it if you are young enough not to know what that is) for Saturday Night Fever. "
I forgot about cassettes!!!

over a year ago

Dolce Vita by Ryan Paris - big holiday hit when I was 14!

No idea what I paid but it was 7 inch vinyl!

over a year ago

"What was the first record you ever bought and how much was it? For those younger readers for record read CD and for those even younger read downloaded!

Mine was Lola by The Kinks and it was 6/8 which meant in old money you could get three for a pound! Nostalgia!!

6/8 ?

Coughs.......slight miscalc on the age!!

Yeah right "

over a year ago

Oh yes!

I had a "Walkman" equivalent in another brand, oh happy days!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"The first record i bought was Stardust by david essex and it cost 49p as i bought it with a 50p record token id been given.

Great record.........1975 ish??"

Think it was 74/75 as we would of used our tokens just after christmas.

How the flip do you remember old money. You must have been 4 when we had the conversation and i just remember getting pocket money in 3penny bits and sixpences.. We where the first school year that was taught in "new" money

over a year ago

"Oh yes!

I had a "Walkman" equivalent in another brand, oh happy days! "

Oh yes the "walkman"

over a year ago

6/8 ?

Yeah right "

Pmsl

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

6/8 ?

Yeah right "

Hung yourself with this thread didnt you lol

over a year ago

6/8 ?

Yeah right

Pmsl "

over a year ago

6/8 ?

Yeah right

Pmsl "

Outed.............but sorted!!!

over a year ago

Wet Beaver Creek

I bought a Four Tops record off my mate at school. It was an import Motown single "That's the way love is". I think I paid 6/- or 30p

It was around 1972/73

I think singles then were around that price in the shops.

I remember the birth of the Glam Rock era and bought Slade, T Rex and Sweet singles too.

I soon moved onto Led Zepplin though and from there onto the electric blues scene

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

6/8 ?

Yeah right

Pmsl Outed.............but sorted!!! "

lmao, have to say a few people get caught out the same way, either that or they remember things before they where born lol

over a year ago

"I bought a Four Tops record off my mate at school. It was an import Motown single "That's the way love is". I think I paid 6/- or 30p

It was around 1972/73

I remember the birth of the Glam Rock era and bought Slade, T Rex and Sweet singles too.

I soon moved onto Led Zepplin though and from there onto the electric blues scene "

......which was the start of Prog Rock.......great times!!!

over a year ago

6/8 ?

Yeah right

Pmsl Outed.............but sorted!!! "

Haha i noticed

over a year ago

6/8 ?

Yeah right

Pmsl Outed.............but sorted!!!

lmao, have to say a few people get caught out the same way, either that or they remember things before they where born lol"

Hahaha

over a year ago

Wet Beaver Creek

"I bought a Four Tops record off my mate at school. It was an import Motown single "That's the way love is". I think I paid 6/- or 30p

It was around 1972/73

I soon moved onto Led Zepplin though and from there onto the electric blues scene ......which was the start of Prog Rock.......great times!!!"

Yes mate and I'm happy to have experienced the changing times, both from the music point of view to the fast pace that technology has moved on. Great times

By *damandeve4funCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

I think the first record I bought was David Bowie's "Laughing Gnome" single. Not one of his classics, I have to admit. It would have cost a few shillings at the time

over a year ago

6/8 ?

Yeah right

Hung yourself with this thread didnt you lol"

...........Penance duly served..........this is no place for the faint hearted!!!

over a year ago

I can't remember, but it was probably a Madonna album or the Grease soundtrack.

over a year ago

Wet Beaver Creek

6/8 ?

Yeah right

Hung yourself with this thread didnt you lol...........Penance duly served..........this is no place for the faint hearted!!! "

Sorry to out you, lol, but don't let it bother you.

Being 55 on here is no worse than being 45

By *amslam1000Man
over a year ago

willenhall

hangs head in shame

mine was paint your wagon

over a year ago

Mine was either The stranglers - Golden Brown or The Lion sleeps tonight..was just after my Dad bought us a stacking Hi-Fi for xmas lol

Happy Days

over a year ago

6/8 ?

Yeah right

Hung yourself with this thread didnt you lol...........Penance duly served..........this is no place for the faint hearted!!!

Being 55 on here is no worse than being 45 "

I am not bothered in the slightest! As it happens I can get away with 45! In this environment who really cares!

over a year ago

6/8 ?

Yeah right

Hung yourself with this thread didnt you lol...........Penance duly served..........this is no place for the faint hearted!!!

Being 55 on here is no worse than being 45 I am not bothered in the slightest! As it happens I can get away with 45! In this environment who really cares!"

I would if I met you and later found you'd lied to me.

By *ldgentlejimboMan
over a year ago

gloucester

Hate to admit it but mine was a 78rpm lol

Bill Hayley and Comets..See you later Alligator but now menory has gone cant remember how much it was.

over a year ago

6/8 ?

Yeah right

Being 55 on here is no worse than being 45 I am not bothered in the slightest! As it happens I can get away with 45! In this environment who really cares!

I would if I met you and later found you'd lied to me."

Why? Is it of any consequence? Are you totally truthful in your missive?

over a year ago

Kate Bush, 'Man with the Child in his Eyes' No idea how much it was

over a year ago

6/8 ?

Yeah right

Being 55 on here is no worse than being 45 I am not bothered in the slightest! As it happens I can get away with 45! In this environment who really cares!

I would if I met you and later found you'd lied to me.Why? Is it of any consequence? Are you totally truthful in your missive?"

Honesty is important to me. I don't like being lied to. And yes, I am absolutely truthful. In fact I've been encouraged to take information that may put some people off out of my profile text but I've left it there because it's true.

Why should I not be honest? I'm a great person so I have no need to lie. People can take me, the real me, or leave me. I'm not going to tell lies about who I am.

over a year ago

1975 xmas bohemion rapsody - queen .no idea what it cost though

over a year ago

"

My first single was also by David Essex. I asked the woman in Woolworths "Hold Me Close, please". She came from behind the counter and hugged my embarassed 8 year old bones.

By *aris23Woman
over a year ago

France

I Write the Songs by David Cassidy - pocket money purchase ...lol

By *ikeC81Man
over a year ago

harrow

Michael Jackson, dangerous..my mums friend got it me for a Xmas present lol

over a year ago

Someone somwhere in summertime by Simple Minds.. the 12" version..

no idea how much it was..

over a year ago

Chickory Tip

over a year ago

lol 81 i think =-O"

They're actually up to No 83!!!

My first album was Now That's What I Call Music 3, cost me £2.99, but I then bought 1 & 2, thinking they would stop at 4. I actually had 1-20 on vinyl and the rest up to about 70 on CD, then when I left my ex, he refused to give me any of my music collection of over 400 CDs and 100 vinyl albums back (amongst other things), so it seemed pointless continuing to collect them after that.

My first single was Run Around Sue by Racey (late 70s?) cost me 39p.

By *empnbunkCouple
over a year ago

south coast

The very first single a bought with my own money....dont quite remember how much chart singles were back then was

BadManners - Special Brew

By *utumnWoman
over a year ago

leeds

Theme from a teenage opera.... a really sad one about Grocer Jack dying or something!

Jennifer Juniper by Donovan

2/6d me thinks!

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Never really bought singles but my first L.P. was Queen 1 from Boots a few weeks after release. Cost about 75p I think.

over a year ago

Junior senior - move your feet. Shocking I know...

By *exywheelsCouple
over a year ago

inverness

"Police....Every breath you take

No idea how much i paid"

Same here, did not buy many singles, tended to recored tracks of the radio

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

1970 The Pushbike Song by the Mixtures think it cost 7/6. At the time my pocket money was 10 shillings a week, think i saved for a couple of weeks to buy it.

over a year ago

1971... New Seekers... Id like to teach the world to sing... 5/-

;-);-)

over a year ago

The first record I bought was for my Mum. It was the VanDerValk theme by the Simon Park Orchestra and, if I remember right, Wollies used to sell 45rpm singles for 39p in 1972 (again, I think...).

But..... that was in return for me getting two years earlier - and after a previous two years of pestering - .... Sgt Peppers! When it came out, my sister got it and I was mesmerised as a 6 yr old, hearing 'Within you and Without you' wafting from her bedroom.....Right on Man!!!

over a year ago

10cc - Rubber Bullets.

I was 11 (I think) and that was 1972. I remember it well, as my Dad wholly disapproved of me wasting money on 'them fancy music things!' and he smashed in in temper......

over a year ago

Single - Pinball Wizard New Seekers

Album - Aladdin Sane Bowie

Cassette - The Original Soundtrack 10CC

CD - Be Yourself Tonight Eurythmics

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

[Removed by poster at 18/08/12 19:37:45]

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Young Americans, David Bowie. God knows how much is was though.

over a year ago

First album I remember buying was Adam and the Ants - Prince Charming.

Already had the previous album, but I didn't buy it personally.

First single I had bought me was Bay City Rollers - Bye Bye Baby, I was a toddler and apparently shut right up no matter what I was doing as soon as I heard it.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

AC/DC- Back in black- £3.99

Frankie- Sister Sledge- £1.09

over a year ago

Dr Hook.. When your in love with a beautifull woman....can't remember how much tho,to long ago! Lol

over a year ago

Mine was Lola by The Kinks and it was 6/8 which meant in old money you could get three for a pound! Nostalgia!!"

Billy Ocean - Suddenly, it was. 45 and cost £1

over a year ago

Band on the Run - Paul McCartney and Wings and I cant remember how much lol

By *ikeriderMan
over a year ago

prestatyn

Don't know if I should admit it but, The Tremeloes, Blue Suede shoes? or something.

Hopefully redeemed by first album, Fire and water by Free

No idea what either of them cost

By *onny BonesMan
over a year ago

a block away from heaven

Mine was George Michael & Aretha Franklin on vinyl... I am old!

over a year ago

Prince "When Doves Cry" Cant remember how much I paid but remember buying it in Our Price at Clapham Junction. It's still one of my favourite songs.

over a year ago

first albums,same day,led zep1 and stand-up,jethro tull.

over a year ago

thats tont,not charley!!!!!

over a year ago

which rockstar would your wife/girlfriend most like to fuck?Given the chance actually would!!!!

over a year ago

Can't remember how much but I think it was kylie minogue the locomotion!

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

"Dolce Vita by Ryan Paris - big holiday hit when I was 14!

No idea what I paid but it was 7 inch vinyl!

"

Great choice, big hit all over Europe that summer.

over a year ago

It was Slade Alive by Slade and as I was in Germany at the time it cost me 3 deutsch marks approx 50p

over a year ago

"Start" by The Jam. Quite apt really.

over a year ago

'Here I go again' by Whitesnake.

Bought in 82/83 because the b-side was I song called 'Bloody Luxury' an I thought that was so cool because they were swearing!! Lol.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

First record bought for me

"Two little boys" Rolf Harris

Bought by me

"Singing in the rain " Shelagh B Devotion

By *ashful BazMan
over a year ago

poole dorset

Think mine was,

Barry Whites - You see the trouble with me.

50p 7inch vinyl.

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)
over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

[Removed by poster at 19/08/12 20:35:39]

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

First single I bought myself was Turning Japanese by The Vapours, think it might have been 79p or 99p.....

First albums I had bought for me were Christmas pressies, Boomtown Rats - Fine Art of Surfacing, Blondie - Parallel Lines and Police - Regatta de Blanc

Could get a good half dozen singles on my record player before they started to slip and slide round

over a year ago

"Can't remember how much but I think it was kylie minogue the locomotion!"

Thank god another Kylie one - mine was I Should Be So Lucky. Not a clue how much it was but I must have been 7/8 years old and drove my mum potty with it...Didn't really fit in with all her Mowtown stuff I used to play too!

By *hyguy 43Man
over a year ago

Swansea

Mine was the Boomtown Rats. I dont like Mondays. I cant remember how much it cost xxx

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

In the kitchen at parties....Jona Lewie

Cant remember how much, roughly £1...

By *leasing_to_the_thighsMan
over a year ago

Cheshire

eminem guilty conscience not sure how much but i love it at the time

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

First single I bought with my own money was 'Everyday' by Slade...can't remember the price or the year.

First LP was 'Kiss Alive II'...cost me £2.50 in 1977 !

By *issBehavingxxWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Karma chameleon - culture club... Think it was about 50p

over a year ago

first album/ep was u2 under a blood red sky. First single was Ray Parker jnr ghostbusters

over a year ago

Baby baby by Justin Bieber

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Denis (or Denee Denee depending on who you speak to) - Blondie

over a year ago

The Duelling Banjos from Deliverance!

10p at a car boot sale!

Was really pissed off as I was 8 at the time and it was in a Napalm Death sleeve! Boy did I look a fool at the pre teen thrash metal disco!!!

over a year ago

"First single I bought myself was Turning Japanese by The Vapours, think it might have been 79p or 99p.....

First albums I had bought for me were Christmas pressies, Boomtown Rats - Fine Art of Surfacing, Blondie - Parallel Lines and Police - Regatta de Blanc

Could get a good half dozen singles on my record player before they started to slip and slide round"

Turning Japanese!

The best song about wanking ever!

Even beats the Undertones "Teenage Kicks"!

over a year ago

First single was .. . Dont worry be happy - bobby mcferrin 1988 . . . I think it was about £1:29

First album was . . . The bop wont stop - shakin stevens . . Cant remember price

over a year ago

Adam and the Ants "Prince Charming" on 7" vinyl

By *uyuksno1Man
over a year ago

poole

human league-dont you want me baby 7" 87p from woolworths and i still have it

over a year ago

Sam Fox - Touch Me

Cant remember how much though - under 99p

over a year ago

"Can't remember how much but I think it was kylie minogue the locomotion!

Thank god another Kylie one - mine was I Should Be So Lucky. Not a clue how much it was but I must have been 7/8 years old and drove my mum potty with it...Didn't really fit in with all her Mowtown stuff I used to play too!"

I had all Kylie and Jason ones, and sonia!

By *eisty1Woman
over a year ago

BBW LAND

4 non blondes on tape god know how long ago that was lol

Post new Message to Thread