Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Declaring your car off the road

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Im looking to SORN my car but live in a flat with allocated parking and just a little concerned that the dvla/gov/whoever wont see this as being 'off road' even though i own the space my car will be parked in.

Any advice please?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Either ring or email DVLA and asked them, it might be that as you own the parking space, they might see that as private and won't do anything but always best to ask

over a year ago

I was in the same position last year and I rang them up, and they said if it was a public road I couldn't leave it parked on there. They said if it was a private road then that's fine. X

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"I was in the same position last year and I rang them up, and they said if it was a public road I couldn't leave it parked on there. They said if it was a private road then that's fine. X"

yes i got the same advice a few years back too.private land or road and ok ..public rd is not ok .

over a year ago

You're fine!

I did this a few years back!

Mind you - last time my car was declared off road was when some fucker nicked it and kindly left it in a ditch after bouncing it off some trees!

Now THAT is off road!!!

over a year ago

"Im looking to SORN my car but live in a flat with allocated parking and just a little concerned that the dvla/gov/whoever wont see this as being 'off road' even though i own the space my car will be parked in.

The alternative is park it on our drive bu you have o pop round once a week to pay parking fees in kind lol

Any advice please?"

over a year ago

That the vehicle will not be used or parked on a public road from the date given above.

• That you have checked the information provided on this form and that you believe it is correct.

Note: Making a false declaration is an offence for which the maximum fine is £5,000 and imprisonment. Above taken from DVLA site

over a year ago

"Im looking to SORN my car but live in a flat with allocated parking and just a little concerned that the dvla/gov/whoever wont see this as being 'off road' even though i own the space my car will be parked in.

Any advice please?"

You need to ascertain what status the place you park in has. If it is an unadopted road or private rode then it is not on the public highway. Get clear written information if at all possible from who owns the flats.

over a year ago

Good luck with the DVLA but point out that as you own the parking space it cannot be the 'Public Highway' especially if it us amongst other private parking places.

Maybe find the property drawings and see where your legal boundaries lie.

over a year ago

Im doing the same and asked advice from out local community police officer.

By *obsrocketMan
over a year ago

Loughborough

might also be worth checking with your local Council Highways dept if you cant find your deeds. The highways adoptions staff should be able to tell you if the land is off the highway or if its adopted.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thanks for all your advice x

By *adystephanieTV/TS
over a year ago

glos

If the parking space you have has lighting provided by any public source ie: street lighting it could be designated as a public road and therefore your car will not be offroad ....

By *acktilMan
over a year ago

Tewkesbury

I had to declare my car off the road once, the man from the AA got it out of the ditch then it went in the repair shop for 3 months. The insurance man wasn't happy about it being off the road.

Post new Message to Thread