Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Todays big question

Jump to newest

By *anger mouse and Emma OP   Couple
over a year ago

Honiton

Who actually hates computer technology and who thinks it should be developed even more?

Let's really think and debate this subject.

Below is only examples!

The bad things: putting people out of work ie. supermarket self-service checkout's. OAP's? struggling to use it.

The good things: finding long lost friends and people who like on line banking.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

Its evolving

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Good things: I can post a pic of my fingers in a pie and get many offers of sex.

Bad things: I need a 2 year old to show me how to use my laptop.

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

I don't really like it that's due to I don't know how to use it very well. I can see some of the benefits of I.T. it's still hard to get my head round it though

over a year ago

Well our local Tesco only ever have about 1/4 of the checkouts open anyway.

They still have 2 or sometimes even 3 staff at the self scan tills and the scan as you shop.

Personally I like to scan whilst I’m shopping cos I’m usually on a tight budget so I know I’m not gonna go over and I also hate having to go through regular checkouts and listen to the staff trying to make idle chit chat with me.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

The worse things are usually outside of our awareness IMO. The hoovering up of massive questions of personal data about us, revealing so much that we'd never likely share with people that we know. Then aggregated, sold on, as our virtual selves have become modern data captives.

AI is going to make us more redundant.

By *ermite12ukMan
over a year ago

Solihull and Brentwood

"The worse things are usually outside of our awareness IMO. The hoovering up of massive questions of personal data about us, revealing so much that we'd never likely share with people that we know. Then aggregated, sold on, as our virtual selves have become modern data captives.

AI is going to make us more redundant. "

More lower skilled jobs will be made redundant. But your going to need, an increasing number of edumakated peeps, to repair the technology that I'm fond of breaking.

By *ighland gentlemanMan
over a year ago

Ardgay

IT seems to be replacing many things.

Video conferencing is being increasingly used.

Which is a real pain for those of us who used to use meetings and work trips as playtime.

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"Who actually hates computer technology and who thinks it should be developed even more?

Below is only examples!

The bad things: putting people out of work ie. supermarket self-service checkout's. OAP's? struggling to use it.

"

The Good:

If this pandemic had happened when I was a kid I would have gone absolutely potty. My lot have had online video lessons, played tabletop games over video calls, spoken to their mates daily, played video games with four or more mates all laughing and chatting, 'seen' family members that they wouldn't have seen...etc. It's been an absolute godsend.

Then obviously there's working from home, for those that could.

The bad:

Advertising, advertising, advertising.

Having to be careful online when talking to people (you never know who's on and what their intention is).

Facebook.

Overall, love it.

By *ustustwo.1965Couple
over a year ago

"IT seems to be replacing many things.

Video conferencing is being increasingly used.

Which is a real pain for those of us who used to use meetings and work trips as playtime. "

Yes, we know of people who used meetings and work trips as a cheater's paradise! !

By *ermite12ukMan
over a year ago

Solihull and Brentwood

I read on the net, the first instance of a 'rogue drone,' that went off on it's own accord. Tracked down a Hamas fighter, and executed him with some missile or other.

Dat is scary, if you walk out of a shop, forgetting to pay for a newspaper, because your in so much of a rush.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It's an assumption that O.A.P's struggle to use Tech.

Some do and that's generally because they haven't had the opportunity or need.

By *lade10000Man
over a year ago

Wiltshire

Anyone read 'DUNE'? We need a 'Butlerian Jihad' a ban on thinking machines. Have a universe that gets by on human mental powers and a drug.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Why hate technological advances ? It's pretty pointless as the growth of and use of technology is inevitable.

Luddites broke the printing presses from ignorance and fear, it didn't help them in any way at all.

I find it strange that people accept the technology that was around when they were born but are terrified of change despite knowing that their gran or grans gran did the washing by hand, that they told stories as there was no t.v. and that everyone died from illnesses because there were no cures and that when your family moved to another city you probably never saw them again in your life time...

We are part cyborg now and soon full cyborg..... later A1 will eradicate any need for you at all.

I'm okay though.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Anyone read 'DUNE'? We need a 'Butlerian Jihad' a ban on thinking machines. Have a universe that gets by on human mental powers and a drug."

Saw the film years ago. The one with Sting... I'm still haunted by the 'unplugging' of people's valves..... or whatever.....

Think I might watch that again

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

This site and then google to look up all the things i don't know about from this site.

By *olymalelincsMan
over a year ago

nr southend

"Who actually hates computer technology and who thinks it should be developed even more?

Below is only examples!

"

As a computer geek I am definatly for the advancement of the technologies as it will continue to move mankind forward in our understanding of the world around us and the universe as a whole.

AI does worry me sometimes as there is always that thought of things going wrong when the artificial intelligence realises that we have become surplus to it's requirements and are actually one of the biggest problems with the planet lol

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Below is only examples!

"

Not sure of the figures regards putting people out of work vs creating jobs in other areas ie online shopping etc

I guess every generation could say the same about jobs being lost to some kind of new technology but that technology needs installing and maintaining so I guess it's a case of retraining and being prepared because the days of getting a gold carriage clock after 50 years in one job are becoming a thing of the past.

I do love the old films and seeing hundreds and thousands of workers streaming out of factory gates

over a year ago

Below is only examples!

The Good:

If this pandemic had happened when I was a kid I would have gone absolutely potty. My lot have had online video lessons, played tabletop games over video calls, spoken to their mates daily, played video games with four or more mates all laughing and chatting, 'seen' family members that they wouldn't have seen...etc. It's been an absolute godsend.

Then obviously there's working from home, for those that could.

The bad:

Advertising, advertising, advertising.

Having to be careful online when talking to people (you never know who's on and what their intention is).

Facebook.

Overall, love it."

Without it this last year would have been infinitely harder

... another downside for me is that I do tend to overdo it a bit ... get lost in chatting, watching stuff I don’t really need to be watching but it’s vaguely funny, erm ... buying stuff is too easy

- the extra chatting is good though - mostly - I just need to do it a little less probably x

So yeh ... overall I agree ... I love it x

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham and London

The “issue” is not computers - it is technology. Technology evolves and it is pretty much impossible for society to “forget” stuff - especially if it has so much impact on the world.

The point about people being put out of work - that has happened forever. The original Luddites were cotton workers who were put out of a job by steam machines. Anyone think we should have stopped society at rhat point so that people could carry on working in the “dark, satanic mills”?

Technology always creates more jobs than it destroys. Jobs will always change. The questions is whether you can change or not. It is inexorable. Always has been. Always will be.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

More technology and shorter working weeks as a result. Society should benefit from advancements but instead we've decided that approximately 40 hours labour a week is required to deserve to live. Now because we can't let go of this idea we hold back our technological advancements to try to keep enough hours of labour to go around instead of just distributing what hours there available are over time and allowing everyone more free time. Madness.

Post new Message to Thread