Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Feed the Children

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Marcus Rashford and Tom Kerridge are combining to launch a cookbook of budget meals to help feed hungry children. We are supposedly a wealthy country. It's not shared and kids should not go hungry. Why is this happening and what should be done. It has been like this under both Parties ... Why?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

[Removed by poster at 29/05/21 23:33:54]

By *uke OzadeMan
over a year ago

Ho Chi Minge City

"[Budget meal removed by poster at 29/05/21 23:33:54]"

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I would say it's because some parents don't deserve to be a parent it's got nothing to do with goverments or parties running for goverment it's to do with people having children they can't afford to feed,

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

Because quite often it doesn't come down to affordability - it comes down to inability or just plain laziness of the parent to cook a meal from scratch. It can also be the fact that working hours leaves less time to prepare and cook etc.

Disclaimer - I said quite often not all the time!!

By *ooo wet tight hornyWoman
over a year ago

lancashire

"I would say it's because some parents don't deserve to be a parent it's got nothing to do with goverments or parties running for goverment it's to do with people having children they can't afford to feed, "

Tom has beat me to what I want to say....I agree and also some parents priority's are all wrong...booze and fags should always come after all the food has been bought...my sister is a teacher at a junior school and some of what I hear is heart breaking...some parents DO NOT DESERVE to be parents...FACT!!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"I would say it's because some parents don't deserve to be a parent it's got nothing to do with goverments or parties running for goverment it's to do with people having children they can't afford to feed, "

Partly due to some parents not being great parents but also zero hour contracts, jobs that pay below minimum wage, childcare costs put stripping parents wages after rent etc, poor education around budgets, lack of parenting skills taught either at home or at school (anyone remember home ec?).

It's easy to sit in ivory towers of disposable incomes earnt through well paid jobs and judge.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I dont know if it is nom but budgeting ahould be taught in schools and cookery classrs its not hard to make a meal out of pasta and tomatoes

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

Or parents that spend their money on drugs, booze and fags.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I dont know if it is nom but budgeting ahould be taught in schools and cookery classrs its not hard to make a meal out of pasta and tomatoes"

Exactly. It costs next to nothing! Too many people buy those ready meals. I see it all the time when I’m shopping. That must be expensive I would imagine. I’ve no idea as I don’t think I’ve ever bought a ready meal. The amount of people who don’t even know basic cooking these days is awful.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I would say it's because some parents don't deserve to be a parent it's got nothing to do with goverments or parties running for goverment it's to do with people having children they can't afford to feed,

Or parents that spend their money on drugs, booze and fags."

I’ve never understood why at least some benefits aren’t paid in food vouchers.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

Last time i bought passato it was 45p a carton. Pasta is abought 75p a packet and you could easily get 6 meals out the two. Its about education

over a year ago

Sadly it seems due to the government's starve a kid , save a quid campaign these kind of thing will become common. I say well done to Marcus Rashford nut it shouldn't have to come to the point where celebrity cooks and footballers help feed peoples children.

over a year ago

"I dont know if it is nom but budgeting ahould be taught in schools and cookery classrs its not hard to make a meal out of pasta and tomatoes

Exactly. It costs next to nothing! Too many people buy those ready meals. I see it all the time when I’m shopping. That must be expensive I would imagine. I’ve no idea as I don’t think I’ve ever bought a ready meal. The amount of people who don’t even know basic cooking these days is awful. "

A lot of people who struggle with mental or physical ill health find ready meals a really useful way of feeding themselves and their families.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I dont know if it is nom but budgeting ahould be taught in schools and cookery classrs its not hard to make a meal out of pasta and tomatoes

Exactly. It costs next to nothing! Too many people buy those ready meals. I see it all the time when I’m shopping. That must be expensive I would imagine. I’ve no idea as I don’t think I’ve ever bought a ready meal. The amount of people who don’t even know basic cooking these days is awful.

A lot of people who struggle with mental or physical ill health find ready meals a really useful way of feeding themselves and their families. "

How much more effort is a tin of tomatoes and a bag of pasta?

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

A lot of people who struggle with mental or physical ill health find ready meals a really useful way of feeding themselves and their families.

How much more effort is a tin of tomatoes and a bag of pasta? "

Or beans on toast.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Or beans on toast."

Exactly.

over a year ago

evesham

"I would say it's because some parents don't deserve to be a parent it's got nothing to do with goverments or parties running for goverment it's to do with people having children they can't afford to feed,

I’ve never understood why at least some benefits aren’t paid in food vouchers. "

Because we shouldn't dictate where people spend their money perhaps? #nodss #nomilkvouchers

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Because we shouldn't dictate where people spend their money perhaps? #nodss #nomilkvouchers"

I disagree. If children are starving and parents are spending it elsewhere instead of feeding those children then the money they are getting (not earning) should be paid, or partly paid in food vouchers.

over a year ago

Or beans on toast.

Exactly. "

frozen veg is a great way to cook healthy cheap food as well I personally think some people are lazy takes nothing and hardly any money to cook a decent meal and the amount people can claim on benefits is unreal I hope anyone who is struggling to feed there kids doesn't smoke, drink have sky or even a fancy mobile phone

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Or beans on toast.

Exactly. frozen veg is a great way to cook healthy cheap food as well I personally think some people are lazy takes nothing and hardly any money to cook a decent meal and the amount people can claim on benefits is unreal I hope anyone who is struggling to feed there kids doesn't smoke, drink have sky or even a fancy mobile phone "

Having worked in a school and also in child protection for 15 years I can confirm that yes a lot of them do.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

one of the first qustions on a health benefit clsim is can you make a simple meal. If you cant nake a simple meal then someone ekde will

over a year ago

Or beans on toast.

Exactly. frozen veg is a great way to cook healthy cheap food as well I personally think some people are lazy takes nothing and hardly any money to cook a decent meal and the amount people can claim on benefits is unreal I hope anyone who is struggling to feed there kids doesn't smoke, drink have sky or even a fancy mobile phone

Having worked in a school and also in child protection for 15 years I can confirm that yes a lot of them do. "

some one I work with a brother gets 1300 a month benefits got two kids him and his gf have never worked and they go to a food bank to feed there kids but he has sky mobile phone each and they buy scratch cards all th3 time any spare money goes straight on them.

over a year ago

evesham

Because we shouldn't dictate where people spend their money perhaps? #nodss #nomilkvouchers

I disagree. If children are starving and parents are spending it elsewhere instead of feeding those children then the money they are getting (not earning) should be paid, or partly paid in food vouchers. "

Should they doff their cap in gratitude as they walk past you to send their vouchers as well?

over a year ago

I think we people look for tragedy these days where there isn't much. Like "look at me I've found some tragedy and I'm going to rectify it and put my name and brand to it also and make lots of money and get lots of likes and friends and self perceives self worth"....

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

I’ve never understood why at least some benefits aren’t paid in food vouchers. "

In theory good idea but years ago when I got divorced ingot the healthy start vouchers and people, not myself, would sell them. They came in £2.50 vouchers and they would sell them for £2.

By *elle xWoman
over a year ago

Doire Theas

"Last time i bought passato it was 45p a carton. Pasta is abought 75p a packet and you could easily get 6 meals out the two. Its about education"

Until you have a child with autism and a very limited diet thing like this appear so simple but they are not

over a year ago

"Last time i bought passato it was 45p a carton. Pasta is abought 75p a packet and you could easily get 6 meals out the two. Its about education

Until you have a child with autism and a very limited diet thing like this appear so simple but they are not "

This I get. My mates kid won't eat anything much more than yoghurt because he can't manage textures in other foods. Sad to see because he's not developing and growing as he should

By *elle xWoman
over a year ago

Doire Theas

"Last time i bought passato it was 45p a carton. Pasta is abought 75p a packet and you could easily get 6 meals out the two. Its about education

Until you have a child with autism and a very limited diet thing like this appear so simple but they are not

This I get. My mates kid won't eat anything much more than yoghurt because he can't manage textures in other foods. Sad to see because he's not developing and growing as he should "

over a year ago

Shark soup?

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

"Shark soup?"

over a year ago

"Marcus Rashford and Tom Kerridge are combining to launch a cookbook of budget meals to help feed hungry children. We are supposedly a wealthy country. It's not shared and kids should not go hungry. Why is this happening and what should be done. It has been like this under both Parties ... Why?"

Maybe its the parents job to feed their kids. Not mine? Its my job to feed my kids. Nobody elses

By *heNYCSausageMan
over a year ago

Everton

"[Budget meal removed by Boris Johnson, Theresa May, Gordon Beown, Tony Blair at 29/05/21 23:33:54]"

By *essie.Woman
over a year ago

Serendipity

Some of the problem is that unhealthy food is often cheaper - bag of frozen oven chips 59p and even Sainsbury’s price match that to Aldi. Veg and especially fruit is relatively more expensive. If your budget is tight and you were never shown how to manage money, that’s where it often goes wrong.

Food banks do give vouchers some times to a local greengrocer or supermarket and they can’t be used for tobacco or alcohol.

over a year ago

By *orduneCouple
over a year ago

darvel

I think guys there a lot of single parents that find it very difficult to pay all domestic bills and find money for food in low wages ,it can’t be easy but also agree that there are a lot of dreadful parents that should never have had children.

By *ubmissiveman2uMan
over a year ago

Cheshire

Some time ago i saw a very sad interview, where the parent astonished me and made my blood boil. Comment was " if we buy the kids good food i cant afford my tobbacco, played on my mind for weeks. What a utter scutter...

By *melia DominaTV/TS
over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

Where do it start on this one...

Entitled generations.

Generation blinkered and ignoring other humans.

World leaders in poverty for a developed country.

Massive increases in Food banks

Rich get richer poor get poorer.

Brexit

Britain playing the price for its full hardy world domination centuries ago built on sl.av.ery and war...

I could go on....

It's not right.. It's not clever.. I see it everyday..

until the UK stands up and smells the fucking roses the lower class of society will fall into the gutter and nobody will give a fucking damn, except for the few token gesters.

I live and love my country of Scotland but it is no different to the rest of the UK and is no different to having blood on its hands too.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

Did anyone else catch the Obama interview?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

You could make use of wasteland to make some kind of reservation to keep all the unemployed, lower class, separate species and their disgusting offspring behind chicken wire and you could throw porridge over once a day.

Or just have them shot, gassed or sterilised.

Why the fuck should they have the privilege of living in a society or system they didn't create?

Fucking mobile phones indeed! Best they are shown how to eat beans and then make tin can phones with string from other peoples meat parcels. Cunts.

Televisions ??? Fucking hell. Really ? They have televisions ? I think they should be sitting around a fire outside in their concentration camps telling stories and that the fire bricks should be made from their own shit.

I know if you fell on hard times - your kids would still be sweet and rosy cheeked and you'd breed your own cows and ducks and grow your own spuds... your clothes would never wear out, you'd never be undernourished and suffer physical and mental fatigue o r live in shitty damp ridden flats and never be able to contact any official fucker cos you'd have Super Duper High Way broadband... You're amazing in your humanity. Never forget that.

What's the greatest distance you've ever spat on one from ?

By *rauntonbananaMan
over a year ago

Braunton

Because some parents are clueless maybe.

My parents didn’t have a pot to piss in but we never went hungry... but hey, that was before the internet, mobile phones and the age of entitlement maybe

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Would it be an idea to bring back workhouses..

over a year ago

Probably not but I think getting the employment opportunities in the UK for all people would be a good start and making changes to benefits so that people are better of working might be a start.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Until you have a child with autism and a very limited diet thing like this appear so simple but they are not "

I do, and ADHD which is part of the reason I won’t feed her ready meals or diet things. The amount of crap in it all! x

By *ohn8210tCouple
over a year ago

Warwick

[Removed by poster at 30/05/21 11:31:37]

over a year ago

"You could make use of wasteland to make some kind of reservation to keep all the unemployed, lower class, separate species and their disgusting offspring behind chicken wire and you could throw porridge over once a day.

Why the fuck should they have the privilege of living in a society or system they didn't create?

Fucking mobile phones indeed! Best they are shown how to eat beans and then make tin can phones with string from other peoples meat parcels. Cunts.

Televisions ??? Fucking hell. Really ? They have televisions ? I think they should be sitting around a fire outside in their concentration camps telling stories and that the fire bricks should be made from their own shit.

I know if you fell on hard times - your kids would still be sweet and rosy cheeked and you'd breed your own cows and ducks and grow your own spuds... your clothes would never wear out, you'd never be undernourished and suffer physical and mental fatigue o r live in shitty damp ridden flats and never be able to contact any official fucker cos you'd have Super Duper High Way broadband... You're amazing in your humanity. Never forget that.

What's the greatest distance you've ever spat on one from ?"

Get them all locked away. Makes me feel crap watching the grubby hungry homeless people outside when I'm in a restaurant eating a massive steak.

over a year ago

"You could make use of wasteland to make some kind of reservation to keep all the unemployed, lower class, separate species and their disgusting offspring behind chicken wire and you could throw porridge over once a day.

finely some one speaks the truth. 3 metres is my record but going to go to the council estate later see if I can do any better.

over a year ago

evesham

"Probably not but I think getting the employment opportunities in the UK for all people would be a good start and making changes to benefits so that people are better of working might be a start. "

Do you truly think that 100% employment is achievable and will solve thd issue?

over a year ago

"Probably not but I think getting the employment opportunities in the UK for all people would be a good start and making changes to benefits so that people are better of working might be a start.

Do you truly think that 100% employment is achievable and will solve thd issue? "

if it's not achievable then there really does need to be a population limit put in place why should some people not work and get handouts all there life, and no it won't solve the issue there will always be starving children because there will always be selfish parents spending there money else where it's always happend and it will always happen nothing will ever change with that.

over a year ago

over a year ago

Amazing how judgement speaks volumes on how people view others in need.

Most parent's will do everything they can to make sure their child is fed. We are living in a world where the people who struggle have to fight to get even the smallest of help. In a country where the poorest are forgotten, the wages never balance the living and the people in power dont care.. what chance have these kids got?

Good on anyone who does there bit to help, big or small. And unless you've struggled, I mean really struggled, keep your judgement of parenting to yourselves.

over a year ago

"Probably not but I think getting the employment opportunities in the UK for all people would be a good start and making changes to benefits so that people are better of working might be a start.

Do you truly think that 100% employment is achievable and will solve thd issue? if it's not achievable then there really does need to be a population limit put in place why should some people not work and get handouts all there life, and no it won't solve the issue there will always be starving children because there will always be selfish parents spending there money else where it's always happend and it will always happen nothing will ever change with that. "

Do love the forums!!

Population limit??

How about if you’ve worked all your life (25yrs) and suddenly become unemployed??

over a year ago

evesham

Do you truly think that 100% employment is achievable and will solve thd issue? if it's not achievable then there really does need to be a population limit put in place why should some people not work and get handouts all there life, and no it won't solve the issue there will always be starving children because there will always be selfish parents spending there money else where it's always happend and it will always happen nothing will ever change with that. "

Ok China

Do you think the only reason people don't work is laziness?

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I dont know if it is nom but budgeting ahould be taught in schools and cookery classrs its not hard to make a meal out of pasta and tomatoes"

No but living of pasta and tomatoes is a quick way to malnutrition and a whole mass of deficiencies. There is very little protein in pasta and tomatoes.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Well said! Sadly

over a year ago

Do you truly think that 100% employment is achievable and will solve thd issue? if it's not achievable then there really does need to be a population limit put in place why should some people not work and get handouts all there life, and no it won't solve the issue there will always be starving children because there will always be selfish parents spending there money else where it's always happend and it will always happen nothing will ever change with that.

Ok China

Do you think the only reason people don't work is laziness? "

to be honest I don't really understand why people don't work I have had the upbringing where you work,you support your self and strive to be as successful as you can possibly be which has left me a bit confused as to how people don't work, I don't really understand how people can chuck a few kids out and then not afford to keep them because in my world I would sit down work out my bills and my income and see if I can afford them before I had them which I know is probably not normal but if some ones income is low and there struggling to pay there bills having kids is only going to make it worse.

over a year ago

Do you truly think that 100% employment is achievable and will solve thd issue? if it's not achievable then there really does need to be a population limit put in place why should some people not work and get handouts all there life, and no it won't solve the issue there will always be starving children because there will always be selfish parents spending there money else where it's always happend and it will always happen nothing will ever change with that.

Ok China

Do you think the only reason people don't work is laziness? to be honest I don't really understand why people don't work I have had the upbringing where you work,you support your self and strive to be as successful as you can possibly be which has left me a bit confused as to how people don't work, I don't really understand how people can chuck a few kids out and then not afford to keep them because in my world I would sit down work out my bills and my income and see if I can afford them before I had them which I know is probably not normal but if some ones income is low and there struggling to pay there bills having kids is only going to make it worse. "

Who said they don’t want to work??

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

the wage v the cost of living equation is out of balance.

over a year ago

Ok China

Do you think the only reason people don't work is laziness? to be honest I don't really understand why people don't work I have had the upbringing where you work,you support your self and strive to be as successful as you can possibly be which has left me a bit confused as to how people don't work, I don't really understand how people can chuck a few kids out and then not afford to keep them because in my world I would sit down work out my bills and my income and see if I can afford them before I had them which I know is probably not normal but if some ones income is low and there struggling to pay there bills having kids is only going to make it worse. "

It’s the genuine tax payers who pays for them & the alcohol, funny stuff they smoke & 60” televisions, why would they want to do a hards days honest graft

By *ausageNmashCouple
over a year ago

Andover

You can do a roast chicken dinner for 4. Potatoes, 2 veg and yorkies, gravy for £6 or less

over a year ago

evesham

"You can do a roast chicken dinner for 4. Potatoes, 2 veg and yorkies, gravy for £6 or less"

Where do you buy your chickens?

over a year ago

Ok China

Do you think the only reason people don't work is laziness? to be honest I don't really understand why people don't work I have had the upbringing where you work,you support your self and strive to be as successful as you can possibly be which has left me a bit confused as to how people don't work, I don't really understand how people can chuck a few kids out and then not afford to keep them because in my world I would sit down work out my bills and my income and see if I can afford them before I had them which I know is probably not normal but if some ones income is low and there struggling to pay there bills having kids is only going to make it worse.

It’s the genuine tax payers who pays for them & the alcohol, funny stuff they smoke & 60” televisions, why would they want to do a hards days honest graft "

Last time I checked universal credit was £400 a month maximum.,,.

Doesn’t buy much

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"You can do a roast chicken dinner for 4. Potatoes, 2 veg and yorkies, gravy for £6 or less"

That's still £180 a month just for 1 meal a day.

over a year ago

Ok China

Do you think the only reason people don't work is laziness? to be honest I don't really understand why people don't work I have had the upbringing where you work,you support your self and strive to be as successful as you can possibly be which has left me a bit confused as to how people don't work, I don't really understand how people can chuck a few kids out and then not afford to keep them because in my world I would sit down work out my bills and my income and see if I can afford them before I had them which I know is probably not normal but if some ones income is low and there struggling to pay there bills having kids is only going to make it worse.

Who said they don’t want to work??"

nobody!!!! I said improve job opportunities and changes to the benifit system so that people are better of working at no point have I said they don't want to work in fact the only time the words"dont want to work" have been used in that order is when you just asked your question...

over a year ago

evesham

Ok China

Illness? Is that not one reason that could cause someone to not be able to work?

And what if people had kids before falling on hard times.... Should they just give them up so as not to claim your hard earned taxes?

I've been bought up with a very strong work ethic and have worked since I was at school (bar around 2 weeks where was made redundant through no fault of my own) but I'm glad I was also bought up with empathy and an ability to see past my own privilege.

I'm not saying there aren't some that abuse the system but to brandish all who claim benefits or use food banks as lazy dossiers is quite frankly a disgusting attitude.

over a year ago

Ok China

Who said they don’t want to work?? nobody!!!! I said improve job opportunities and changes to the benifit system so that people are better of working at no point have I said they don't want to work in fact the only time the words"dont want to work" have been used in that order is when you just asked your question..."

“improve job opportunities and changes to the benifit system”

I couldn’t agree more. Force employers to pay more and pay more benefits when your out of work??

over a year ago

Not all parents that can't feed their children are because they are spending their money on unessentials.

A parent that's had a to leave an abusive relationship therefore having less money.

Redundancy

Single parent

Having children when they were comfortable money wise and for some unforeseen circumstances now not bringing in the money they were.

Childcare costs an absolute bitch and working can sometimes only cover that and barely anything else.

Lots of reasons good parents are struggling.

over a year ago

"Not all parents that can't feed their children are because they are spending their money on unessentials.

A parent that's had a to leave an abusive relationship therefore having less money.

Redundancy

Single parent

Having children when they were comfortable money wise and for some unforeseen circumstances now not bringing in the money they were.

Childcare costs an absolute bitch and working can sometimes only cover that and barely anything else.

Lots of reasons good parents are struggling. "

Totally agree xx

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

it's odd how when a couple of celebrities write a usefull cookbook the response is to attack the less well off.

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

It’s funny how low and middle income people demonise “the poor!”

The rich are pissing their pants at you, while lining their pockets at all of our expense.

over a year ago

Ok China

Who said they don’t want to work?? nobody!!!! I said improve job opportunities and changes to the benifit system so that people are better of working at no point have I said they don't want to work in fact the only time the words"dont want to work" have been used in that order is when you just asked your question...

I couldn’t agree more. Force employers to pay more and pay more benefits when your out of work??"

not even slightly! all that will do is encourage employers to take there work else where, more like scrap zero hours contracts and force employers to pay decent living wages and try and bring some atractive jobs back to the UK so that thos struggling to find work have the job opportunities they are missing, the more people in work means the less on benefits so then thos that do need the help could get more money because there is less demand on the benefits system if all that worked out then every one would be better off.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Ok China

Who said they don’t want to work?? nobody!!!! I said improve job opportunities and changes to the benifit system so that people are better of working at no point have I said they don't want to work in fact the only time the words"dont want to work" have been used in that order is when you just asked your question...

I couldn’t agree more. Force employers to pay more and pay more benefits when your out of work?? not even slightly! all that will do is encourage employers to take there work else where, more like scrap zero hours contracts and force employers to pay decent living wages and try and bring some atractive jobs back to the UK so that thos struggling to find work have the job opportunities they are missing, the more people in work means the less on benefits so then thos that do need the help could get more money because there is less demand on the benefits system if all that worked out then every one would be better off."

How can they pay a decent living wage without paying more?

over a year ago

The way our government has always worked is divide and conquer.

The media likes to report on the people on benefits living extravagant lifestyles, the immigrants coming over here and taking our jobs, the single moms just having one child after the other to milk the system.

Wake up! As long as your blaming each other, your not pointing the finger at them. Yes of course there is a select few people who abuse the system like anything in this world. But guess what most people who use the benefit system don't want to be there either. They have fallen on hard times whether it be redundancy, illness, suddenly being alone after being with a partner. Even people who do work require help as we live in a country that the wages and cost of living will never balance out.

Whatever the reason, it is decent humanity that makes sure they get the help they need. Don't be so quick to look down your nose at others because next time it might be you reaching up for that helping hand.

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

"The way our government has always worked is divide and conquer.

The media likes to report on the people on benefits living extravagant lifestyles, the immigrants coming over here and taking our jobs, the single moms just having one child after the other to milk the system.

Wake up! As long as your blaming each other, your not pointing the finger at them. Yes of course there is a select few people who abuse the system like anything in this world. But guess what most people who use the benefit system don't want to be there either. They have fallen on hard times whether it be redundancy, illness, suddenly being alone after being with a partner. Even people who do work require help as we live in a country that the wages and cost of living will never balance out.

Whatever the reason, it is decent humanity that makes sure they get the help they need. Don't be so quick to look down your nose at others because next time it might be you reaching up for that helping hand. "

over a year ago

For the ingredients maybe, but that assumes you have access to an oven, hob several pans, all the additional ingredients you have in the store cupboard you don't think about using and can afford to run the oven for a couple of hours. People talking about frozen vegetables assume everyone has a freezer.

People in genuine food poverty don't have the luxury of being able to fill a store cupboard with ingredients they might need. That £1 for a box of oxo cubes you'd just sling into the basket could be better spent on rent, heating or a meal with all the ingredients already inside.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Whatever the reason, it is decent humanity that makes sure they get the help they need. Don't be so quick to look down your nose at others because next time it might be you reaching up for that helping hand.

"

this this and this all the way far to many judgemental I'm alright Jack's who are only three months of redundancy from being stuck on benefits and struggling

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

What’s their data ? I’m surprised that kids are going hungry because cooking is expensive , there’s lots of cheap recipes on Google just type in low cost recipes or budget recipes. Maybe they just want to feel good

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

There was a PA announcement in our local supermarket the other day.

An eight year old lad had done whatever sponsored thing he'd done, and raised £252 for his local food bank. They invited people to come give him a wave. I believe he walked out with an extra trolley of food after that.

Doesn't really contribute I know, but it's nice, good on him.

over a year ago

evesham

"What’s their data ? I’m surprised that kids are going hungry because cooking is expensive , there’s lots of cheap recipes on Google just type in low cost recipes or budget recipes. Maybe they just want to feel good "

Haven't you read the thread. Their not allowed access to the Internet if they claim benefits

By *xmfrvnMan
over a year ago

Stoke-on-Trent

The lack of compassion in some of these comments is astonishing, but sadly not surprising.

Not everybody will have had the same opportunities as you. What you have may not have come easy to you but there are a great many factors that have led to that point that won't apply to someone else.

Some things that should be rights are actually privileges.

Of course some people are shit but, again, there are a great many factors that have led to that, and you can't use that as your primary response to all instances.

over a year ago

"

this this and this all the way far to many judgemental I'm alright Jack's who are only three months of redundancy from being stuck on benefits and struggling "

Yep, many people don't appreciate how quickly life can turn around and how difficult it is to escape once you are in that situation. State benefits is a safety net that is there for all of us and should be sufficient to allow everyone who ends up relying on them to live with dignity.

over a year ago

this this and this all the way far to many judgemental I'm alright Jack's who are only three months of redundancy from being stuck on benefits and struggling "

Exactly and let's look at the benefit system ........

Those working whilst claiming universal credit to bring their wage up to a standard living whilst big companies are walking away with millions in profits.

It's not the one on universal credit that 'benefits'.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan
over a year ago

the current ideology of government washing their hands of resposibility by burdening local authorities with the cost of welfare is possibly the most damaging to wider society and does nothing to address the problems we face as a country.

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

More ostentatious poor-hating from the disgusting right-wingers of Fab. Vile.

I wonder how many of you have gone hungry, been cold, worn clothes donated by strangers, et cetera.

Speaking as someone who the system failed so badly that I only avoided homelessness through the charity of others, you appall me.

over a year ago

"There was a PA announcement in our local supermarket the other day.

An eight year old lad had done whatever sponsored thing he'd done, and raised £252 for his local food bank. They invited people to come give him a wave. I believe he walked out with an extra trolley of food after that.

Doesn't really contribute I know, but it's nice, good on him. "

Love this!!

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Bloody Hell... some of the comments on here really disgust me.

Yes, there are feckless parents out there, but their children shouldn't go hungry because of their selfishness or ineptitude.

However, there are an awful lot of low income families who genuinely have to choose between food and rent and come winter struggle to afford to heat their homes.

For a period in my 20s I was very short of money, to the point of wondering how I would feed us until payday. I was far too proud to ask for help but ensured that my child was fed, clothed and warm. I'm intelligent and capable and had a regular income... many are not so fortunate.

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

If the parents are shit (and a lot are)

The children still need to be fed it’s that simple. I couldn’t give a shit what the parents are like feed the kids. It’s not their lot in life to suffer through other peoples choices.

Happy for my taxes to feed hungry children.

over a year ago

evesham

Let's also not forget that this year has seen many parents put on furlough at 80% of their wages and had kids at home all day increasing heating bills over winter and food bills.

That's the very thing Marcus rashford was campaigning about. To suddenly have to provide an extra 5 meals per child per week is tough for parents on lower incomes.

And its not even just about families with kids. A lot of older people can struggle at times as well. My friend runs a local community larder with stuff that supermarkets donate with short dates etc and a large proportion of the people that regularly use it are elderly and vulnerable people.

over a year ago

Because we shouldn't dictate where people spend their money perhaps? #nodss #nomilkvouchers"

thats like saying we shouldn’t remove children from unsafe homes because its not our job to dictate how they are raised

if you earn your money sure spend it on whatever you want, but when that money is paid out by the government as an aid for you to provide for you family i don’t think its unreasonable to dictate that the first portion goes on food for the kids belly and a roof over their head .. anything else amounts to neglect

over a year ago

evesham

thats like saying we shouldn’t remove children from unsafe homes because its not our job to dictate how they are raised

if you earn your money sure spend it on whatever you want, but when that money is paid out by the government as an aid for you to provide for you family i don’t think its unreasonable to dictate that the first portion goes on food for the kids belly and a roof over their head .. anything else amounts to neglect"

It's nothing like that at all and to suggest as such is inflammatory to say the least.

By *inkyInkedBiWoman
over a year ago

Genuinely shocked at some of the attitudes on this thread.

Population limit?

It’s no surprise that the programmes about people on benefits are to make you believe anyone on them is a scrounging, smokes 60 a day, drinks all day, sits on their arse dosser.

We forget about all the MPs and the expenses scandal. Let’s not blame those in charge for pissing money away - let’s blame the low income parents who dare to have a mobile phone

Anyone is only a few pay packets away from losing everything, so what’s the attitude then?

Yes I’ve no doubt there are parents who spend benefits on cigarettes and drink - but should we let hungry children suffer because of it? Plus if you have the idea that everyone on benefits is like that then you have a very jaded view.

Take me for instance, my husband died, half of our income vanished - I was struggling to cope not just with my grief, but with two young children who didn’t understand why daddy wasn’t coming back - should I be looked down on for claiming benefits to help me out during the worst period in my life?

Honestly some shockingly judgmental views on here.

‘There but for the grace of god go i’

over a year ago

"Because some parents are clueless maybe.

My parents didn’t have a pot to piss in but we never went hungry... but hey, that was before the internet, mobile phones and the age of entitlement maybe "

there is an element of this sure, but your parents also grew up in an era where they were taught budgeting and for want of a better word home making - partly in school and partly at home

i completely disagree with parents buying their fags before healthy meals, but there are also plenty who don’t smoke that just never learned how to properly look after a family, to manage the money, to plan, prep and cook healthy meals to last the week

if we think parents are clueless thats what we need to resolve - teach the next generation these life skills again - so a budget healthy family meal cookbook seems like a small but great start

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

"Genuinely shocked at some of the attitudes on this thread.

Population limit?

It’s no surprise that the programmes about people on benefits are to make you believe anyone on them is a scrounging, smokes 60 a day, drinks all day, sits on their arse dosser.

We forget about all the MPs and the expenses scandal. Let’s not blame those in charge for pissing money away - let’s blame the low income parents who dare to have a mobile phone

Anyone is only a few pay packets away from losing everything, so what’s the attitude then?

Yes I’ve no doubt there are parents who spend benefits on cigarettes and drink - but should we let hungry children suffer because of it? Plus if you have the idea that everyone on benefits is like that then you have a very jaded view.

Take me for instance, my husband died, half of our income vanished - I was struggling to cope not just with my grief, but with two young children who didn’t understand why daddy wasn’t coming back - should I be looked down on for claiming benefits to help me out during the worst period in my life?

"

It's awful, I became a single parent two years ago, my salary alone would not cover everything and that's without childare costs factored in as my family help out, so yes I get extra help from the government because if I didn't I would struggle as my outgoings would be way more than my income and that's me on a good wage, I've often skipped meals to make food last longer so that my girls had a proper meal

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"it's odd how when a couple of celebrities write a usefull cookbook the response is to attack the less well off."

^^^This. People complaining that some parents can't cook etc. So they write a simple recipe book to make cost effective meals, aimed at the people who can't cook. And still the judgers judge.

Take care in your ivory tower, because it might come crashing down around you one day.

over a year ago

"More ostentatious poor-hating from the disgusting right-wingers of Fab. Vile.

I wonder how many of you have gone hungry, been cold, worn clothes donated by strangers, et cetera.

Speaking as someone who the system failed so badly that I only avoided homelessness through the charity of others, you appall me. "

what you describe is exactly how i grew up - its why i put all my energy into making different choices and living a different life from my parents

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Population limit?

"

Nail + head, Kinkyinked.

over a year ago

The moment you believe you're above others, better than, is the moment you prove otherwise.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Marcus Rashford and Tom Kerridge are combining to launch a cookbook of budget meals to help feed hungry children. We are supposedly a wealthy country. It's not shared and kids should not go hungry. Why is this happening and what should be done. It has been like this under both Parties ... Why?"

No it hasn't.

Foodbanks have exploded in the last 10 years.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Tom has beat me to what I want to say....I agree and also some parents priority's are all wrong...booze and fags should always come after all the food has been bought...my sister is a teacher at a junior school and some of what I hear is heart breaking...some parents DO NOT DESERVE to be parents...FACT!! "

How many parents prioriise booze and ciggies over their kids?

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Population limit?

It's awful, I became a single parent two years ago, my salary alone would not cover everything and that's without childare costs factored in as my family help out, so yes I get extra help from the government because if I didn't I would struggle as my outgoings would be way more than my income and that's me on a good wage, I've often skipped meals to make food last longer so that my girls had a proper meal "

The benefits system is there to provide a safety net which we all pay into.

Thanks to the likes of the daily mail its become something people are embarrassed to use.

This thread completely exemplifies that.

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"There was a PA announcement in our local supermarket the other day.

Doesn't really contribute I know, but it's nice, good on him.

Love this!! "

It was lovely

over a year ago

Sometimes it's just people are struggling on minium wage jobs. Who's children are then bullied at school because they don't have the latest mobile phone or trainers.

By *anae21Woman
over a year ago

Nearer than you think

I acknowledge I'm an extremely fortunate single mum, who has always had a steady and sufficient income. I wouldn't dare slate someone else for not being in the same, lucky, position.

I volunteer regularly for a homeless charity in my hometown, and manage the foodbank. The families who come for help are as varied as the members on fab, but I'll say this: the current social care system is so broken that vast numbers of people are just one wage packet away from crisis. Many of the people who come for help have jobs but simply can't cover the basics because of exponential rises in rent and a paucity of decent social housing.

Some are so financially compromised that we have to judge what food we pack for them because they have no access to a cooker, or their gas has been cut off, so microwave or "add hot water" meals are their only option. And yes, they DO know how to cook and how to budget.

Please don't judge. Be kind. Be compassionate.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I acknowledge I'm an extremely fortunate single mum, who has always had a steady and sufficient income. I wouldn't dare slate someone else for not being in the same, lucky, position.

I volunteer regularly for a homeless charity in my hometown, and manage the foodbank. The families who come for help are as varied as the members on fab, but I'll say this: the current social care system is so broken that vast numbers of people are just one wage packet away from crisis. Many of the people who come for help have jobs but simply can't cover the basics because of exponential rises in rent and a paucity of decent social housing.

Some are so financially compromised that we have to judge what food we pack for them because they have no access to a cooker, or their gas has been cut off, so microwave or "add hot water" meals are their only option. And yes, they DO know how to cook and how to budget.

"

Excellent post but I think your words are lost.

We live in a country where if you are unfortunate to fall.pn hard times you are immediately labelled a scrounger

over a year ago

Population limit?

It's awful, I became a single parent two years ago, my salary alone would not cover everything and that's without childare costs factored in as my family help out, so yes I get extra help from the government because if I didn't I would struggle as my outgoings would be way more than my income and that's me on a good wage, I've often skipped meals to make food last longer so that my girls had a proper meal "

i don’t think either of the 2 of your situations are what people have lost patience with , the benefits system is meant to be a safety net, and you both found yourself in the position of needing a safety net, absolutely you should be using it, and absolutely it should be a better safety net that you don’t have to skip meals, that is heart breaking

the problem is there are 2 camps , folk like yourself scrapping by with help, and folk that have learned to work the system very well, i think in this thread they have all been lumped together

and yes i have agreed with food vouchers above but thats more because the selfish parents will be selfish no matter if its benefits or wages they are spending, but where there can be some con trol on where the money gets spent, that would benefit the child in that scenario why wouldn’t we implement it, responsible parents would be spending that money on food for the kids anyway so don’t really have an objection (or certainly i never heard of it anyway when free school meals were replaced with farmfoods vouchers last year in our council district)

over a year ago

Because some people shouldn't be aloud to have children they can't manage them self's never mind children.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

My parents didn’t have a pot to piss in but we never went hungry... but hey, that was before the internet, mobile phones and the age of entitlement maybe

there is an element of this sure, but your parents also grew up in an era where they were taught budgeting and for want of a better word home making - partly in school and partly at home

i completely disagree with parents buying their fags before healthy meals, but there are also plenty who don’t smoke that just never learned how to properly look after a family, to manage the money, to plan, prep and cook healthy meals to last the week

if we think parents are clueless thats what we need to resolve - teach the next generation these life skills again - so a budget healthy family meal cookbook seems like a small but great start "

The problem is though that no amount of budgeting helps when the cost of the basics outstrip your income. I have friends who's childcare costs are more than they earn but they don't want to quit working and get trapped out of work. I have a friend who's husband was made redundant and she ended up with £15 a week to feed a family of 4 after she paid rent, bills and for her car. If they got rid of the car she couldn't get to work so would have to quit. She's a very good cook and puts her kids first all the time. No amount of budgeting though is going to make £15 a week stretch any further and if her kids needed new school shoes she was fucked. Luckily her husband eventually got another job but they're lucky that he's a store manager so makes decent money when he is earning. It took them a while to pay off debts from when he was out of work. If he didn't have a decent job they would definitely still be struggling now.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Because some people shouldn't be aloud to have children they can't manage them self's never mind children."

Maybe we can sterilise people not earning a certain amount of money?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

We've not really had leadership that's dedicated to levelling up our society. When you view the devastation of last year from inadequate prioritisation of health, you grasp that the masses' well-being and lives aren't really a really a priority.

over a year ago

I was hoping this had died a natural death, some people have no understanding of the realities of life on benefits and families in poverty. Yes there are the ones who smoke, drink and neglect their children, but they are the minority and not the everyday families.

The media has done a good job on making everyone judge those that need the most help, and the Tory spin doctors must be rubbing their hands in glee that they’ve made benefit claimants more hated than an inept and uncaring government.

No wonder I’m often ashamed to talk about my family and circumstances, so much judgment and hatred x

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

Population limit?

It's awful, I became a single parent two years ago, my salary alone would not cover everything and that's without childare costs factored in as my family help out, so yes I get extra help from the government because if I didn't I would struggle as my outgoings would be way more than my income and that's me on a good wage, I've often skipped meals to make food last longer so that my girls had a proper meal

i don’t think either of the 2 of your situations are what people have lost patience with , the benefits system is meant to be a safety net, and you both found yourself in the position of needing a safety net, absolutely you should be using it, and absolutely it should be a better safety net that you don’t have to skip meals, that is heart breaking

the problem is there are 2 camps , folk like yourself scrapping by with help, and folk that have learned to work the system very well, i think in this thread they have all been lumped together

and yes i have agreed with food vouchers above but thats more because the selfish parents will be selfish no matter if its benefits or wages they are spending, but where there can be some con trol on where the money gets spent, that would benefit the child in that scenario why wouldn’t we implement it, responsible parents would be spending that money on food for the kids anyway so don’t really have an objection (or certainly i never heard of it anyway when free school meals were replaced with farmfoods vouchers last year in our council district) "

The no of people blagging the system is a tiny percentage of the actual figure.

Yet for some reason the daily mail has decided it's a huge issue.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"I was hoping this had died a natural death, some people have no understanding of the realities of life on benefits and families in poverty. Yes there are the ones who smoke, drink and neglect their children, but they are the minority and not the everyday families.

The media has done a good job on making everyone judge those that need the most help, and the Tory spin doctors must be rubbing their hands in glee that they’ve made benefit claimants more hated than an inept and uncaring government.

No wonder I’m often ashamed to talk about my family and circumstances, so much judgment and hatred x "

Spot on

There are billions being squirreled away to their mates,yet you dont get daily headlines about that.

over a year ago

if we think parents are clueless thats what we need to resolve - teach the next generation these life skills again - so a budget healthy family meal cookbook seems like a small but great start

The problem is though that no amount of budgeting helps when the cost of the basics outstrip your income. I have friends who's childcare costs are more than they earn but they don't want to quit working and get trapped out of work. I have a friend who's husband was made redundant and she ended up with £15 a week to feed a family of 4 after she paid rent, bills and for her car. If they got rid of the car she couldn't get to work so would have to quit. She's a very good cook and puts her kids first all the time. No amount of budgeting though is going to make £15 a week stretch any further and if her kids needed new school shoes she was fucked. Luckily her husband eventually got another job but they're lucky that he's a store manager so makes decent money when he is earning. It took them a while to pay off debts from when he was out of work. If he didn't have a decent job they would definitely still be struggling now. "

i dont disagree with this at all , but its a multi faceted issue, and a school system set up to make you pass an exam while entirely ignoring that we need some sort of practical life skills too is definitely part of it - if the parents didn’t have those skills , or the mental or physical health capacity to use them, how can they pass them on , how do we break the cycle, i do think it needs to be brought back into education

i know people who are not strapped for cash that still could barely cook a meal or make a wage last longer than a week

at the moment we have problems layered on top of each other, when we need solutions layered on top of each other

over a year ago

evesham

"Because some people shouldn't be aloud to have children they can't manage them self's never mind children."

And what of those for whom circumstances change, as is often the case? What should they do with their children then? Sell them? Put them in the oh so glorious care system?

Your comment is just ridiculous.

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

How much more effort is a tin of tomatoes and a bag of pasta? "

More effort than some people are capable of making. There's a level of exhaustion, physical or mental, where you show someone a tin of tomatoes and a bag of pasta and they're just going to have to go hungry.

The lack of empathy in this thread is disgusting.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"I acknowledge I'm an extremely fortunate single mum, who has always had a steady and sufficient income. I wouldn't dare slate someone else for not being in the same, lucky, position.

"

Very well put. I guess it is easier to judge based on what the tabloids publish.

No child should go hungry in this country (no vulnerable person including elderly, disabled etc).

Focussing on the few who abuse the system does not help. And tbh, when I see programs on how a small number of people make the headlines through abusing the system, I ask myself whether I would want to be in that position...

I conclude I rather pay tax and NI whatever my job would be.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

More effort than some people are capable of making. There's a level of exhaustion, physical or mental, where you show someone a tin of tomatoes and a bag of pasta and they're just going to have to go hungry.

The lack of empathy in this thread is disgusting. "

I’ve refrained from further commenting on this thread because as usual comments have been twisted. Firstly if you’re talking of lack of empathy from me how dare you, you know nothing of my life. Secondly as I said before, I have worked in child protection for years so some of my comments were fact not opinion. Thirdly this thread is about budget cook books so in the case you have just mentioned it would be irrelevant anyway and help from different avenues would be needed.

By *bi_AstrayTV/TS
over a year ago

Plymouth

I disagree. If children are starving and parents are spending it elsewhere instead of feeding those children then the money they are getting (not earning) should be paid, or partly paid in food vouchers. "

Any vouchers would be sold or traded for drugs, alcohol or tobacco and the people end up with even less money overall as no one would by a voucher for it's face value, it's hassle... End result that there is even less cash to feed the children. Drugs, alcohol and tobacco are not the sole reason for these problems though. It's a very small minority.

Post new Message to Thread