Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

New driver insurance

Jump to newest

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Anyone know any good deals for new/young drivers, I can’t put her on my policy so using pay as you go but it’s £35 per 100 miles even with a perfect driving score and up to £48 if she brakes hard.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *urchoicenowCouple
over a year ago

Ashford

They take the piss.

Try using a broker. They have access to deals we don't.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

When I first passed I got a black box and paid £79 a month which is rediculously good for a new driver. After two years I got a new car and they let me continue the policy without a new black box as they said they had enough data about my driving by then .

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

My son used Go Girl as recommended by lots of others. No black box as he worked in a restaurant past 11pm. Was @£1500 for 1st policy in his own name with me as named driver.

J x

By *thLincsCpleCouple
over a year ago

Barton upon Humber

We used Hastings for our son, was the best deal at the time.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Anyone know any good deals for new/young drivers, I can’t put her on my policy so using pay as you go but it’s £35 per 100 miles even with a perfect driving score and up to £48 if she brakes hard."

The car makes a big difference. Ive bought my son a car and some of the choice was based on what the insurance would be. I used the comparison sites and different cars in budget from autotrader to get quotes then tweaked the details with names drivers and fully comp vs 3rd party. It laborious but did save money.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

It’s going to be ridiculously expensive but that’s the way it works with new drivers unfortunately.

As others have said, look at brokers and getting a black box to mitigate the cost but any policy is going to be astronomical at first

By *ubmissiveman2uMan
over a year ago

Cheshire

I suppose you can blame my son as part of the silly prices, he smashed 3 cars in 12 months, he is now 28 and not had a crash in years but still paying through the nose for insurance.

By *opilotMan
over a year ago

Heathrow

Try ingenie, you get a black box but can drive any time you like, if your driving is good they will refund you some more based on your scores. My daughter has had over 200 pound back so far.

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Thanks all will try some of those. We’re using marmalade pay as you go with black box so it tracks her distance, driving style and any use of phone at all while driving adds penalties - really good idea. . We decided to share my car as it’s cheaper overall than running two cars. Aviva who I’m with won’t insure her, it’s a big high perf. car so many insurers won’t insure her

By *opilotMan
over a year ago

Heathrow

I don't think you can have two policies on the go at the same time.

Post new Message to Thread