Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Endurance

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

How much of human endurance is all in the mind rather than physical shape and form?

Do you think when you work out you leave out a lot on the table?

I'm asking because with the gyms being back open, I was struggling to run for 5-6 minutes at my usual pace but today which was maybe my 4th run I already done 10 minutes with much less struggle.

Was my physical form so much worse 4 sessions earlier or is it just a mental barrier?

Do you have the same experiences?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I think it often is more of a mental barrier than a physical one. I used to be terrible for limiting myself, but I then started attending a boot camp run by two ex marines, and they were absolutely amazing at pushing people past those mental barriers. They got me from literally only being able to run about 100m very slowly and not being able to manage a single push-up, to doing a 10k assault course.

They did it a bit too well though, as I pushed myself to the point of being physically sick a few times, and once blacked out and face-planted in the mud while sprinting up a hill carrying a sandbag

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If your in shape then it’s a mental block

plus we as humans only have access to about 70% off or true selfs

over a year ago

I've always been a runner, competitively when I was younger and fitter, and half the battle in racing is psychological/technical, it's a lot less about fitness or strength. Those kind of skills can be dead useful when dealing with challenges in other aspects of life too

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

As a 59 year old, I've had to endure a lot of things in ma life. I'm better at mental rather than physical endurance these days

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I think it often is more of a mental barrier than a physical one. I used to be terrible for limiting myself, but I then started attending a boot camp run by two ex marines, and they were absolutely amazing at pushing people past those mental barriers. They got me from literally only being able to run about 100m very slowly and not being able to manage a single push-up, to doing a 10k assault course.

They did it a bit too well though, as I pushed myself to the point of being physically sick a few times, and once blacked out and face-planted in the mud while sprinting up a hill carrying a sandbag "

Sounds like an amazing time to be honest

Maybe that's the competitive nature of me speaking though

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I've always been a runner bean"

Always thought you were a bit stringy

over a year ago

"I've always been a runner bean

Always thought you were a bit stringy "

Bite me!

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I've always been a runner bean

Always thought you were a bit stringy

Bite me! "

I think that's Yasmeen's job innit

over a year ago

Many literature on this, but Ross Edgley’s book is decent.

By *rMrsBrightsideCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle

I think it's more a mental barrier for me. Sometimes I feel ok physically doing the run but my mind just doesn't want to do it, other times I have the determination to keep going.

Kx

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

Speaking as someone who can no longer engage in serious physical exercise due to injuries caused by body parts failing when there was plenty left in the mental tank, no.

over a year ago

"I think it's more a mental barrier for me. Sometimes I feel ok physically doing the run but my mind just doesn't want to do it, other times I have the determination to keep going.

Kx"

.. Im the same....I find setting targets is important. Change your routes and go somewhere interesting like beach or city, take photos along the way, run with someone. I love running in the lashing rain...Just mentally it's a challenge... Its a silly thing but it drives you on. Best of luck

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

The Wall! Gets me every time !

I don't know why, all of my training runs are perfectly fine, I'll easily run 15 miles, but when I'm at 12 miles of a half marathon the willpower is just switched off

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Im of the belief it’s nearly all in the mind , my pb’s have all been achieved with pacers, my best sessions in the gym with a partner and my best cardio without doubt with a PT.

It’s well known training to failure gets the best results but so hard to do in practice

By *an4funMan
over a year ago

london

I would say the majority of it is in the mind.

over a year ago

Endurance is very much usually a mental barrier.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

I always found in long distance running, that the mind gives up long before the body needs to.

That’s why I used to plan my routes so that I’d have an easier section when I was hitting my own personal wall, generally a downhill section.

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

"I always found in long distance running, that the mind gives up long before the body needs to.

That’s why I used to plan my routes so that I’d have an easier section when I was hitting my own personal wall, generally a downhill section. "

When I was still able to run, I found the exact opposite. The further I went, the further I wanted to go. It always became an exercise in getting home before I injured myself. Then one night I got it wrong, and that was it for me and serious exercise.

over a year ago

Its definitely a mental thing, for me anyway.

Fow lifting I use a lit if visualisation, picturing the lift, remembering I've done this before, going through my routine mentally.

Makes a huge difference.

I've experimented with different methods and no method at all and I reckon it's worth in the 5-7% range on the heaviest lifts in terms of being in the right place mentally.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Your brain controls everything, including those things outside of your awareness physiologically.

If you get a surge of adrenaline, helping you to reach a goal, for example, you will have attained it physically but directed/managed by your brain.

There's a facet of your brain, your mind, which has involvement. It seems sensible to get both body and mind working well and in synch. The freeze, fight or flight response is a good example of where you may instinctively respond to situations, for example, where you may have a lot of choices but where you don't necessarily have to be too mindful of your precise steps and may find that you've automatically accomplished something, almost before you think you know it, or were that aware of what was going on.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Mental training is a huge thing.

I also believe in muscle memory, which if you've been at that level of fitness before, your body knows how to get there again, faster.

The two things together mean you can actually train (partly) through visualisation.

C

Post new Message to Thread