Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

George Floyd one year on

Jump to newest

By *ackformore100 OP   Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I've put this in lounge not politics to try and keep from descending too far.

One year on from one of the seminal moments in race relations in the last decade. Not least as it crossed the Atlantic and stirred feelings and protests and disorder and debate and statements of intent and support and much more besides. With the court case done.

But a year on and worthy of a moments pause and reflection.

What has changed? What have we changed? What is different?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Pretty much nothing

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Pretty much nothing "

Well nothing positive. I see more divisiveness and intolerance on all sides.

Probably the worst I can ever remember.

Reply privately

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"Pretty much nothing

Probably the worst I can ever remember."

If anything I’ve just seen more open racism towards white people and everyone waking on eggshells trying not to get labelled as racist

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

I have seen a woman shot in the head and no one is marching to stamp out gang violence.

Reply privately

By *ob08Man
over a year ago

Macclesfield

State of policing in the USA effects us how exactly?

Reply privately

over a year ago

More black and brown faces on tv, adverts etc which is good but not any far reaching change x

Reply privately

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Is it not permitted to sit on someone's chest til the life has been squashed out of them now?

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

It should have been an American issue, it happened in America, the crime commited by an American cop, that has now sparked more violence/hatred across the world.I have seen some vile things online today.

Thr complete opposite of what should have happened.

I feel it has stoked hatred in the hearts of racists, and not changed anything in regards to what I would call right minded people, i.e. those who know/recognise we are all of one race, the human race.

Peace and love and amazing sexual experiences to all.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"It should have been an American issue, it happened in America, the crime commited by an American cop, that has now sparked more violence/hatred across the world.I have seen some vile things online today.

I feel it has stoked hatred in the hearts of racists, and not changed anything in regards to what I would call right minded people, i.e. those who know/recognise we are all of one race, the human race.

"

Have to agree with this.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It should have been an American issue, it happened in America, the crime commited by an American cop, that has now sparked more violence/hatred across the world.I have seen some vile things online today.

Have to agree with this."

Pretty much

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

"State of policing in the USA effects us how exactly?"

Exactly.

I am long sick of the way American news is reported like its UK news.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Tin town

"State of policing in the USA effects us how exactly?

Exactly.

I am long sick of the way American news is reported like its UK news.

"

Whilst the incident is American. I'm not sure the stirring of the social pot that happened in its aftermath pertained solely to either the one incident (George Floyd) or American policing, but what was being debated / protested was the general matter of racism was it not?

I agree that we do see rather a lot of American stories... And we could do without most of them. Trump got more news than our own politicians... Biden gets very little.

I'm not trying to be provocative, I'm extremely sceptical that sports people "taking a knee" makes one jot of a difference so, when I realised that a year had already passed. And that in the months that followed we had protests and awareness months and riots... I just wondered what we are doing now that is different.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I think we are more aware… and that is about it… too many people believe there is no problem

Do I feel in the wrong situation could what happened to George floyd happen to me… yep!

Reply privately

over a year ago

A bit of tokenism here and there. A more pronounced them and us society. Confusion over the difference between police brutality and institutionalised racism. An overcompensation in attitudes due to fear or being called a racist.

The world is more divided than ever and the media is a devil trying to whip up hatred for the sake of viewing figures.

All I care about is whether another person is decent or not. If you are, let's be friends. There is no place for hatred of others.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Systemic change - little.

Conversations have happened.

Many people have openly taken sides.

Reply privately

By *ob08Man
over a year ago

Macclesfield

"I think we are more aware… and that is about it… too many people believe there is no problem

Do I feel in the wrong situation could what happened to George floyd happen to me… yep!"

Do you live in America?

Reply privately

By *ullie-kingMan
over a year ago

Wishaw

"

Spot on.

Only thing I'd add is that it seemed to become "acceptable" to riot and loot and still be classed as a peaceful protester

Reply privately

over a year ago

alot has changed in the uk, people are afraid to be labled racist now, everything you say is examaned, ive lived and worked all over the world, including america and south africa, if you want racism go to africa, we are one of the most un racist countries , but this whole thing has caused great divides

Reply privately

over a year ago

Tin town

"I think we are more aware… and that is about it… too many people believe there is no problem

Do I feel in the wrong situation could what happened to George floyd happen to me… yep!"

Sorry you have that to contend with mate. As a white bloke I obviously don't have that in my life.

For me... What I think would be more helpful use of the debate is the stories of hate that Ian Wright as only one example shared with millions ... That stuff should be more visible and help the coin drop than some of the "safe gestures". But still social media tolerates and perhaps encourages that hate.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

That makes me feel really sad.

And you are not the first person to say this, which makes it even worse.

I am sorry that this is still the case.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Have to agree with this."

I am sorry… but if you don’t think Britain has a systematic racism issue… you are being deluded

It may not be as bad as in other countries….. but being and taking some sort of solice in between “least racist” doesn’t mean racism isn’t there….

Reply privately

By *ob08Man
over a year ago

Macclesfield

There is very little chance of you being knelt on and killed by an American police officer if you live in the UK though, what makes you think that could possibly happen? I'm curious.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

It may not be as bad as in other countries….. but being and taking some sort of solice in between “least racist” doesn’t mean racism isn’t there…."

I agree - it is not a race to the bottom.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"There is very little chance of you being knelt on and killed by an American police officer if you live in the UK though, what makes you think that could possibly happen? I'm curious."

Quick question…. Just out of interest… how many times have you been stopped and searched in your life?

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Oh oh oh! Is this a "spot the narrow minded" thread?

I used to like these threads, they became too easy though.

Reply privately

By *lair101TV/TS
over a year ago

Aberdeen, westhill

"I have seen a woman shot in the head and no one is marching to stamp out gang violence."

Agreed

Reply privately

By *ob08Man
over a year ago

Macclesfield

"There is very little chance of you being knelt on and killed by an American police officer if you live in the UK though, what makes you think that could possibly happen? I'm curious.

Quick question…. Just out of interest… how many times have you been stopped and searched in your life? "

That's hardly the same as being knelt on for several minutes now is it, so not really relevant.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The company I work for have created a group of people across the UK to tackle issues surrounding racism and inclusion. Hopefully this is mirrored across other businesses.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"There is very little chance of you being knelt on and killed by an American police officer if you live in the UK though, what makes you think that could possibly happen? I'm curious.

Quick question…. Just out of interest… how many times have you been stopped and searched in your life?

That's hardly the same as being knelt on for several minutes now is it, so not really relevant."

Yes it is…. It is the way people are treated ….and the way I am guessing we are treated differently

So again… how many times?

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"The company I work for have created a group of people across the UK to tackle issues surrounding racism and inclusion. Hopefully this is mirrored across other businesses. "

I always question how much some companies actually care. Not aimed at yours directly, but often I think they just do it to look good, or to not look like the bad one by not making a change.

Which is good in a way since they are changing things but still, how sincere are they with it all really.

Reply privately

By *ob08Man
over a year ago

Macclesfield

That's hardly the same as being knelt on for several minutes now is it, so not really relevant.

Yes it is…. It is the way people are treated ….and the way I am guessing we are treated differently

So again… how many times?"

The amount of times is irrelevant, are you planning on resisting arrest any time soon? If not you have absolutely nothing to worry about, and even if you did resist arrest no-one would kneel on you as that isn't part of the training in the UK like it is in the USA.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The company I work for have created a group of people across the UK to tackle issues surrounding racism and inclusion. Hopefully this is mirrored across other businesses.

I always question how much some companies actually care. Not aimed at yours directly, but often I think they just do it to look good, or to not look like the bad one by not making a change.

Which is good in a way since they are changing things but still, how sincere are they with it all really. "

I completely agree. Some of my past employers would have just given it lip service. Luckily where I am now are taking it very seriously.

Reply privately

By *ljamMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

It's definitely exposed the extent of an issue which is clearly of a different scale and nature to the US, but remains very relevant in the UK.

Has much changed? Hard to gauge. Clearly there are still many entrenched and narrow mindsets out there, but I'm hopeful society as a whole is moving in a progressive direction in spite of the ignorant fringe.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The amount of times is irrelevant, are you planning on resisting arrest any time soon? If not you have absolutely nothing to worry about, and even if you did resist arrest no-one would kneel on you as that isn't part of the training in the UK like it is in the USA. "

So I take it the number is zero… gotcha!

Let’s say my number is a lot more than that! Do you think I am much more dangerous than you to be treated that differently…..

I know you really are trying to talk yourself into believing we aren’t treated differently… and if it gets you through your day you keep on keep on thinking that….

In the words of the great Fannie Lou hamer…. I am just sick and tired of being sick and tired!!

Reply privately

By *J swingCouple
over a year ago

North

George were a convinced criminal, held a pregnant woman at gun point to Rob her.

On the next page Lee rigby innocent man doing his job we didn't riot we didn't get white lives matter protest he didn't get sport men to take the knee

Reply privately

By *ob08Man
over a year ago

Macclesfield

The amount of times is irrelevant, are you planning on resisting arrest any time soon? If not you have absolutely nothing to worry about, and even if you did resist arrest no-one would kneel on you as that isn't part of the training in the UK like it is in the USA.

Let’s say my number is a lot more than that! Do you think I am much more dangerous than you to be treated that differently…..

I know you really are trying to talk yourself into believing we aren’t treated differently… and if it gets you through your day you keep on keep on thinking that….

In the words of the great Fannie Lou hamer…. I am just sick and tired of being sick and tired!!

"

You're deliberately avoiding the facts that apply to policing in this country, presumably because it doesn't fit your specific narrative, so I hope at some point you realise the threat in the UK is very different from the USA, however I know you probably will choose to ignore it, so you keep on deflecting fella, enjoy.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"George were a convinced criminal, held a pregnant woman at gun point to Rob her.

On the next page Lee rigby innocent man doing his job we didn't riot we didn't get white lives matter protest he didn't get sport men to take the knee

"

Your profile speaks volumes

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"George were a convinced criminal, held a pregnant woman at gun point to Rob her.

"

He forgot dogs & Irish!

Reply privately

By *AURA6969TV/TS
over a year ago

RUGBY

"I have seen a woman shot in the head and no one is marching to stamp out gang violence.

Agreed"

Terrible though it is there are no Marches no rioting because of the colour of the perps. Fact there are more coloured deaths at the hands of coloured people. There are still traders but mostly trading white.

Reply privately

over a year ago

He forgot dogs & Irish!"

just

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I have seen a woman shot in the head and no one is marching to stamp out gang violence.

AgreedTerrible though it is there are no Marches no rioting because of the colour of the perps. Fact there are more coloured deaths at the hands of coloured people. There are still traders but mostly trading white."

Reply privately

over a year ago

OK I'm out!

So many people to be blocked on this thread!

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's proven how many purple faced thumb heads we have in this country who quite happily sit behind the security of their screens and spout off about things they know nothing about, but when challenged about their views can't come up with a valid argument.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

You're deliberately avoiding the facts that apply to policing in this country, presumably because it doesn't fit your specific narrative, so I hope at some point you realise the threat in the UK is very different from the USA, however I know you probably will choose to ignore it, so you keep on deflecting fella, enjoy."

You are trying to say “very different” equates to “no issue” …. And you know what! I would love to live in your cosy bubble of no issue……

But back in the real world I’d stop patting yourself on the back and giving yourself a trophy for being “least racist”…. It’s still there!

So that way people can see their dad in George floyd or philando Castile and their daughters in breanna Taylor, there mothers in Sandra bland, their sons in Tamir rice and Trevon Martin, the guy everyone knew on the corner like Eric garner and their really good friends like I had in Stephen Lawrence

Reply privately

over a year ago

Tin town

"

Don't you think they are two separate issues? One being race related and the other religion? Neither is acceptable. But the relevance of this is simply we are a year on from a massive event in UK news and we are in a position to have made some changes for improvement. I was just asking what's changed.? As for conflating the awful thing that happened to Lee rigby. We can ask the same question but for different reasons. What have we done to improve a situation where radicalised Muslims feel they can and should do what they did.

Reply privately

over a year ago

He forgot dogs & Irish!

just "

I mean I can book Pontins now so that's changed

Reply privately

over a year ago

Unfortunately nothing will ever change racism is a cruel nasty thing whether you are mixed race black or white it will effect everyone I've been a victim of racism over the years and it's not nice even in 2021!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Two things I expect radicalised terrorists to kill people who are at their mercy, the embodiment of a countries justice system not so much.

I think there were actually public displays of mourning for Lee Rigby and let's face it anti terrorism isn't exactly underfunded or under supported

Reply privately

over a year ago

People throw the race card now more than ever

Reply privately

over a year ago

I see racism every day, it's usually on here with shallow women saying they only want BBC lol

Reply privately

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

He was resisting arrest and at what point do you stop pinning them down or tie them up or taser them to stop.

What effectively they need is rules that they stick to on holding or pining or tasering.

At what point do they think they can get away with it by keep resisting.

It wasn’t recial it was someone who would not stop.

Without doubt the police man went to far but the rules of engagement on this need to be looked at.

Reply privately

over a year ago

In my own opinion, since 4 years of Trump being reported world wide the racists have become more noisy. The Cheeto in Charge seemed to embolden them all over the world. Misogyny has got worse as well. Why can't people just get along? Really boils my piss

Reply privately

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"

Just FYI, Lee Rigby's family have specifically asked that people do not use what happened to him to argue against BLM or the anti-racism movement in general.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There’s more people of colour on tv... other than that I think the race issue in the UK is more divisive that ever.

Will what happened to that rapist arsehole happen to someone in this country? Not likely. Are people of colour still treated differently here? abso-fucking-lutely. Will the media ever drop race as a contentious issue? Fuck no, and why? Because if we’re arguing amongst ourselves we won’t hold the powers that be to account!

Reply privately

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

Not sure much has changed for people. Until people realize everyone is unique but equal parts of an entire ecosystem.

Thread is kinda illustrated how little has changed, yet.

Reply privately

By *bonybbwWoman
over a year ago

London

It's appalling what happened to George Floyd but it's happened before to people around the world and it's still going on. Sad but true.

The hatefulness of any kind goes on all the time but to say it doesn't happen or to say why do they keep going on about it does my head in when you are faced with it every day. I feel in this last year things has been worse for hate. I have seen people for who they really are and it's a valuable lesson I should have learned sooner.

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

It is not about the man. It is not about what he did or did not do. Nobody, with a level mind, is excusing him for doing those things. It is about the entire situation surrounding him which finally broke the camels back on racism, the world over.

It happened in America, but it sent ripples across the world because there are people that can relate and put their own experiences through life in reflection to what happened. It may not have been at the hands of the police, but they will have faced racism on some level.

Nobody should have to live with any form of racism, be they of Black, Asian, Latino, or even White (yes it happens, but on a very smaller scale in comparison). That is from all sides, the more racism that is shown by one side, the more it incites it from the other.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I see racism every day, it's usually on here with shallow women saying they only want BBC lol"

Reply privately

By *inkylipsWoman
over a year ago

Debauchery

Do I feel in the wrong situation could what happened to George floyd happen to me… yep!

Do you live in America?"

Do you think it only happens in America then?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Tin town

"He was resisting arrest and at what point do you stop pinning them down or tie them up or taser them to stop.

What effectively they need is rules that they stick to on holding or pining or tasering.

At what point do they think they can get away with it by keep resisting.

It wasn’t recial it was someone who would not stop.

Without doubt the police man went to far but the rules of engagement on this need to be looked at. "

I wasn't trying to re examine what happened in the events leading to George Floyd's murder. More that a year ago we had enormous publicity and outrage and riots for weeks and more... All around the matter of racism and 99 per cent was about blm. So having had so much oxygen I wondered if anything had changed for better... Or for worse.

Reply privately

By *lessedXXXWoman
over a year ago

“I never meet”

"I see racism every day, it's usually on here with shallow women saying they only want BBC lol"

Yeah and I get countless messages from men saying they have a BBC and I think WTF, it’s like they think they don’t need a brain or a personality so long as they have a BC and trust from their photos many are sadly mistaken cos their meat ain’t that big!

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Nothing really changed...

Most people just get on with their lives and live with peace in their hearts...

Just a surge in advising with an obsession with couples of different colour for some reason.. and a fear of being labelled racist used by the establishment...

Bit like labour accusing brexit voters of being racist for some strange reason...

Reply privately

By *ullie-kingMan
over a year ago

Wishaw

My man!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Nothing really changed...

Just a surge in advising with an obsession with couples of different colour for some reason.. and a fear of being labelled racist used by the establishment...

Bit like labour accusing brexit voters of being racist for some strange reason...

"

I think the phrase 'sweeping generalisation' may be applicable here

Reply privately

over a year ago

"OK I'm out!

So many people to be blocked on this thread!"

Yep these threads are great prompts for the block button!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Does the advertising bother you?

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Sadly nothing has changed ! x

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"People throw the race card now more than ever "

Ffs!!!

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"There is very little chance of you being knelt on and killed by an American police officer if you live in the UK though, what makes you think that could possibly happen? I'm curious."

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"

xxxxxxxx

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Does the advertising bother you?"

Not one bit.. just my observation on what's changed

Reply privately

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

Unfortunately some of comments on this thread are evidence enough that nothing has changed, nor will it for many more generations

Reply privately

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

The viral video of that lass in Birmingham shows just how prevalent racism is on a micro social level.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"Unfortunately some of comments on this thread are evidence enough that nothing has changed, nor will it for many more generations "

Yes sad to say I agree! x

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

Have to agree with this.

I am sorry… but if you don’t think Britain has a systematic racism issue… you are being deluded

It may not be as bad as in other countries….. but being and taking some sort of solice in between “least racist” doesn’t mean racism isn’t there…."

Britain does have some racism issues, however the bigger issue here is class. The elite are every Ist possible against those who arent in the club.

A lot is said about sla(cant enter the word on chat)ery and how terrible it was. Often saying that white people ensl**** (everyone else) neglecting the fact that the common people who lived on the land called Britain where the first ens***** by the so called elite.

Sent to wars they had no interest in or desire to fight in, even now i feel Scotland is a sl*** nation to WM and the crown.

Something i often wonder thogh is, if the US is so dangerous, and if the UK is racist why would someone from another country want to come live in either?

For the record i am white, and when i was in Vegas even i was a bit nervy when i seen cop cars about. those guys have guns, hardly any training and are caffeinated and roided out their box.

I lived in Holland for a few years, I walked into a Turkish kebab shop, the guy behind the counter looked at me a little strange when he heard my accent, however his colleague asked me where i was from, i told him and he explained to his colleague that I should be made welcome in the shop as he had wonderful experiences in the UK both with English and Scottish people. he even gave me free food that day. which i felt was a nice gesture.

lastly i currently work with aarge ninber of Portuguese people, i have asked them of their expperience here in the UK and each I have asked said they have not experienced any kind of racism or xenophobia, until Brexit!

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

lastly i currently work with aarge ninber of Portuguese people, i have asked them of their expperience here in the UK and each I have asked said they have not experienced any kind of racism or xenophobia, until Brexit!"

That is my experience as well. I work with many different nationalities and xenophobia has raised its ugly head in so many ways, including a fair amount of passive aggression as well as micro aggression.

I would say though we need to keep the issues of BLM and generic xenophobia separate even though they are likely to be prevalent in the same people.

Of course ALL lives matter, nobody can seriously dispute this.

However, BLM happened as a probably long overdue response to a specific history of abuse, subjugation and ill-treatment - it is not in competition with any other movements. never has been. To suggest otherwise, to me means, we have not moved on at all.

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

"

lastly i currently work with aarge ninber of Portuguese people, i have asked them of their expperience here in the UK and each I have asked said they have not experienced any kind of racism or xenophobia, until Brexit!

That is my experience as well. I work with many different nationalities and xenophobia has raised its ugly head in so many ways, including a fair amount of passive aggression as well as micro aggression.

I would say though we need to keep the issues of BLM and generic xenophobia separate even though they are likely to be prevalent in the same people.

However, BLM happened as a probably long overdue response to a specific history of abuse, subjugation and ill-treatment - it is not in competition with any other movements. never has been. To suggest otherwise, to me means, we have not moved on at all.

"

I ggenuinely feel that this is still an American issue. While I support the Black people in America gettig treated better, it is important to remember the police in the UK are not Yank cops. (though some may still be racist of course) however a black person in the UK is no where near as likely to be gunned down by a itchy trigger fingered roidhead, in a police uniform.

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

"

That is kind of the thing, it's not about where it happened, or even specifically about who it happened too (generally nobody would have cared, at least a lot less about a criminal) however it was just that final push needed to bring about another attempt at changing the ugly monster that is racism. And racism is universal, it has no country of origin, or an allegiance to a place, it happens the world over, and it happens to people of all colours and cultures, it just depends on where in the world you are as to who is the minority and victim of the racist abuse. Which is exactly why it was as big of a deal as it was.

The police brutality part was most certainly a USA thing, but it highlighted racism as a whole, and that is the important part.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"

That is kind of the thing, it's not about where it happened, or even specifically about who it happened too (generally nobody would have cared, at least a lot less about a criminal) however it was just that final push needed to bring about another attempt at changing the ugly monster that is racism. And racism is universal, it has no country of origin, or an allegiance to a place, it happens the world over, and it happens to people of all colours and cultures, it just depends on where in the world you are as to who is the minority and victim of the racist abuse. Which is exactly why it was as big of a deal as it was.

The police brutality part was most certainly a USA thing, but it highlighted racism as a whole, and that is the important part. "

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

"

The police brutality part was most certainly a USA thing, but it highlighted racism as a whole, and that is the important part. "

You really do NOT have to be in the minority to be subject or racism.

The thing with the George Fliyd issue. im not sure how much can be attributed to racism alone, i read the cop and he had previously worked together somewhere and disliked each othe (not fact checked), that and the stupid training and tactic of kneeling on someones neck (Wtf).

Regardless a man died because at the very least a man in a police uniform didnt have common sense.

Reply privately

By *awpleasureMan
over a year ago

Sutton Coldfield

Also this week it's been four years since the Manchester arena bombings.

And also eight years this week since Lee Rigby was murdered

Reply privately

over a year ago

The major issue behind most problems is the willingness to treat other people like shit for one's own gain. Thats usually money and power.

Ever thought that 'the man' doesn't want us all to get on? Once we realise that the majority of us pretty much just want the same thing, get on in life, look after our loved ones etc, then we will be harder to control?

I'm not a huge conspiracy theorist but it seems clear to me.

I think the best thing we can do right now is leave the statues and outdated TV programs alone and focus on treating each other on our own merits. Get a stronger foundation and then start sorting the other stuff.

Reply privately

By *olfy and SheepCouple
over a year ago

Lancaster

"

If anything I’ve just seen more open racism towards white people and everyone waking on eggshells trying not to get labelled as racist "

Ah but guys 'racism isn't a thing anymore'.

"Walking on egg shells"

I just take that to mean people haven't bothered learning how to avoid using the n-word in public. Maybe if people had not dismissed all these concerns as just SJWs moaning about political correctness these people would have bothered learning the social skills to just not be dicks to people.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

My kids always point out to me when a casual comment I make, sounds racist to them. I sometimes do not hear it myself and I think I am reasonably self-aware. I am quite grateful when my kids tell that what for example, I see as a compliment to somebody, it may not be perceived as one by the recipient.

I think it would help to just think for a moment what it might be like for the other person.

I also wonder what it might be like for a person of colour, to read this thread. I mean this in a positive, explorative and curious way, not a slight on anybody. Just a question.

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Pretty much nothing

If anything I’ve just seen more open racism towards white people and everyone waking on eggshells trying not to get labelled as racist "

What open racism towards white people have you seen?

Reply privately

By *iamond coupleCouple
over a year ago

leeds

Lee Rigby, 9 years on

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"Lee Rigby, 9 years on"

Start a thread about it then. Just because people are looking at a recent twagoc event on this thread doesn't mean you can't start a thread remembering another one.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Lee Rigby, 9 years on"

Can I ask the actual relevance to this thread?

Horrible horrible act of terrorism.

Perhaps makes a thread remembering poor man, rather than use it as a clear tool of what aboutery

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Lee Rigby, 9 years on"

Am I missing something?

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Lee Rigby, 9 years on"

What does Lee Rigby have to do with George Floyd?

Lee Rigby was an atrocious attack on an innocent man, carried out by terrorists.

I really struggle to see a connection between the two.

Reply privately

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

The horrific murders of Lee Rigby and Jo Cox have far more in common than the murders of Lee Rigby and George Floyd IMO.

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

"Lee Rigby, 9 years on

Lee Rigby was an atrocious attack on an innocent man, carried out by terrorists.

"

what does floyd have to do with the Uk?

If anything the thing they have in common, is showing how cheap human life is held

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

George Floyd.

Trayvon Martin.

Countless others.

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"The horrific murders of Lee Rigby and Jo Cox have far more in common than the murders of Lee Rigby and George Floyd IMO. "

Just waiting for someone to point out a connection between lee Rigby and george floyd.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Lee Rigby, 9 years on

"

It’s the classic “well you do it as well so we can’t be that bad” defence….. it’s whataboutery at its finest..

that not looking for solutions, that is looking for excuses!

The whole BLM construct was never Black Lives Matter at the expense of others, it was that Black Lives Matter as much as everyone else…. But people see promotion of one as an attack on them! Taking opportunities away from them!

I walked away from this thread 3 days ago as I thought it was going toxic, I am happy coming back because an actual conversation broke out

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Pretty much nothing

Probably the worst I can ever remember."

this

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

I have been stopped and searched 4 times in my life, bit i am from a relatively small town

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

"Lee Rigby, 9 years on

It’s the classic “well you do it as well so we can’t be that bad” defence….. it’s whataboutery at its finest..

that not looking for solutions, that is looking for excuses!

The whole BLM construct was never Black Lives Matter at the expense of others, it was that Black Lives Matter as much as everyone else…. But people see promotion of one as an attack on them! Taking opportunities away from them!

I walked away from this thread 3 days ago as I thought it was going toxic, I am happy coming back because an actual conversation broke out "

Civilised conversation?!

Makes a change in the forum, right haha.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Lee Rigby, 9 years on

If anything the thing they have in common, is showing how cheap human life is held "

I find it funny that during international weeks watching football that when black England players are abused abroad it’s always a case of “how dare they!” But when they go back to the club and play on Saturday it’s… oh well… part of the game!

I think part it is actually acknowledging it exists… the trying to be part of the solution going forward… I mean my friends know what they can and can’t get away with jokes wise.. and if they overstep they know it from my face immediately… but I only talk for me and say I would not answer for anyone else…

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I have been stopped and searched 4 times in my life, bit i am from a relatively small town"

I have a degree and work for the government… I would say 15-20 times…. I don’t think I am 5 times as menacing as you

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I completely agree with you on this subject. Afterall racism is a tought behaviour. Ever seen a group of kids play? Kids dont care about racism all they care about is getting along and playing together. If things were fair it would continue to be so but for that to happen we have to accept our past history and learn not to repeat it. I dont judge people on skin colour or there beliefs or even there sexuality i judge them in if there and arsehole or not lol. By repeating the same narrow minded petty behaviours the human race will only destroy itself.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I used to get stopped regular least every other day I agree stop and search is a horrible thing and predigest towards black men especially the young but if im honest alot deserve it gang culture is rife I think a more targeted approach would be better than just randomly stopping same people.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Largely we remain a tolerant society but infected with some racists of all colours and communities.

The only significant change is the media clambering to make every debate, disagreement about race. Sometimes, we don't like others regardless of their skin colour.

Reply privately

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

"The horrific murders of Lee Rigby and Jo Cox have far more in common than the murders of Lee Rigby and George Floyd IMO.

Just waiting for someone to point out a connection between lee Rigby and george floyd."

The point that I believe is trying to be made is that there wasn’t this much fuss when a white man was killed over here by a black person. Whether anyone would admit that’s what they mean is a seperate issue

My point was that the deaths of Cox and Rigby were at the hands of terrorists. Floyd was killed by authorities so they are not the same.

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"The horrific murders of Lee Rigby and Jo Cox have far more in common than the murders of Lee Rigby and George Floyd IMO.

Just waiting for someone to point out a connection between lee Rigby and george floyd.

The point that I believe is trying to be made is that there wasn’t this much fuss when a white man was killed over here by a black person. Whether anyone would admit that’s what they mean is a seperate issue

My point was that the deaths of Cox and Rigby were at the hands of terrorists. Floyd was killed by authorities so they are not the same. "

Presumably he missed those days of front page headlines and news reports?

You are right..they are completely different.

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Largely we remain a tolerant society but infected with some racists of all colours and communities.

The only significant change is the media clambering to make every debate, disagreement about race. Sometimes, we don't like others regardless of their skin colour."

I think we do have facets of a tolerant society but there is without a doubt an undercurrent of racism(and not just against black people)

I think Brexit very much validated some of those views.

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

I have been stopped and searched 4 times in my life, bit i am from a relatively small town

I have a degree and work for the government… I would say 15-20 times…. I don’t think I am 5 times as menacing as you"

You dont live in a wee town in Scotland though, i think Scottish Police.

Reply privately

over a year ago

In the last year i have come to the conclusion that really crap american police officers need better training on how to restrain career criminals and drug addicts as doing it wrong has drastic consequences for everyone involved. I did feel sorry for George floyd untill I read his criminal past especially robbing a women at knife point as soon as I read that I had no empathy for him at all all.

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

Scottish police are less likey to sac someone in terms of race.

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

"In the last year i have come to the conclusion that really crap american police officers need better training on how to restrain career criminals and drug addicts as doing it wrong has drastic consequences for everyone involved. I did feel sorry for George floyd untill I read his criminal past especially robbing a women at knife point as soon as I read that I had no empathy for him at all all. "

The punishment for robbing someone at knife point (sounds like he also didn't harm her)

Is not and never has been, to be knelt on the neck, until dead.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"In the last year i have come to the conclusion that really crap american police officers need better training on how to restrain career criminals and drug addicts as doing it wrong has drastic consequences for everyone involved. I did feel sorry for George floyd untill I read his criminal past especially robbing a women at knife point as soon as I read that I had no empathy for him at all all.

The punishment for robbing someone at knife point (sounds like he also didn't harm her)

Is not and never has been, to be knelt on the neck, until dead."

I didn't say it was I just said I had no empathy for him.... he certainly didn't deserve to die like that hence why the police need better training on restraining methods so he could have been arrested and delt with correctly for what ever crime he was been accused of.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Pretty much nothing

This

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"Pretty much nothing

If anything I’ve just seen more open racism towards white people and everyone waking on eggshells trying not to get labelled as racist

This "

What increase in open racism towards white people have you seen?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"In the last year i have come to the conclusion that really crap american police officers need better training on how to restrain career criminals and drug addicts as doing it wrong has drastic consequences for everyone involved. I did feel sorry for George floyd untill I read his criminal past especially robbing a women at knife point as soon as I read that I had no empathy for him at all all.

Is not and never has been, to be knelt on the neck, until dead."

2 different scenarios George was in custody at the time. No threat to the officers. Major difference.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

I didn't say it was I just said I had no empathy for him.... he certainly didn't deserve to die like that hence why the police need better training on restraining methods so he could have been arrested and delt with correctly for what ever crime he was been accused of. "

He apparent crime that day was using a fake 20 dollar bill….

Can you say hand on heart say you check every single note that goes in and out of your wallet… I am guessing a lot people don’t as they reckon there is about 50 million pounds worth in circulation .. and at one point 1 in 4 pound coins were thought to be fake

I can’t say in all good faith I have not passed on a dodgy note… can you?

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Lee Rigby, 9 years on

If anything the thing they have in common, is showing how cheap human life is held "

Floyd was symbolic, in my view, for all incidents of injustice committed against black people.

I think it was in this spirit that people rose and stood up against what was happening - while it happened in the US, with US police involved, I think it is a global movement of thought?

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Largely we remain a tolerant society but infected with some racists of all colours and communities.

The only significant change is the media clambering to make every debate, disagreement about race. Sometimes, we don't like others regardless of their skin colour.

I think we do have facets of a tolerant society but there is without a doubt an undercurrent of racism(and not just against black people)

I think Brexit very much validated some of those views.

"

Very much so - unfortunately, since 2016 things seem to have changed, not for the better.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Pretty much nothing

This

What increase in open racism towards white people have you seen? "

Seconded - I would like to know, genuinely curious.

Reply privately

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

"Pretty much nothing

This

What increase in open racism towards white people have you seen? "

Slight increase in white people being reminded that there is a thing called racism = "white people are being persecuted! white people are the victims! how dare people accuse whites of being racist! this is england not america, there is no racism in (names some town with 99% white population)! i'm not racist, i like indian food! i have a next door neighbour who is black, so I can't be racist!" etc etc etc

Reply privately

By *awpleasureMan
over a year ago

Sutton Coldfield

Those who are saying what has Lee Rigby got to do with it....

Some see soldier killed by terrorists.

Some see white soldier killed by two black men.

Was it racially motivated?

Who knows?

Would the terrorists have targeted a non white soldier?

who knows?

If two white terrorists killed a black man, would racism become a factor before any other possible reason political or not??

Very likely???

Good to debate isn't it?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Lori Elaine Lightfoot.

mayor of chicago.

a racist.

crime rising rapidly.

shot and killed 246

shot and wounded 1154

total shot 1400

total homicides 262

the public deserve her

Reply privately

over a year ago

It’s sad but it will always exist as long as generations of some families have deep rooted racism. It’s learnt behaviour and the media and governments make it worse to keep the masses arguing and distracted.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Lori Elaine Lightfoot.

mayor of chicago.

a racist.

crime rising rapidly.

shot and killed 246

shot and wounded 1154

total shot 1400

total homicides 262

the public deserve her"

Reply privately

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I would say abit have changed. I saw an interesting interview with brandon tatum on the bbc world news who was a police officer of what he thought of it, he didnt agree with how the media reported on it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Look at how this thread turned out!

A bloke asks peaceful and reasonable question - then people get all shouty and angry and want a fight and prove they're better and different and more virtuous than others as per, probably with the end game being the hope of a shag or to feel better about themselves? How's that life strategy working out lately? Smh

Listening to each other occasionally and learning and trying to understand and come together might not be a bad idea for a few fab folk

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

"I would say abit have changed. I saw an interesting interview with brandon tatum on the bbc world news who was a police officer of what he thought of it, he didnt agree with how the media reported on it."

Thats media for you, is anyone ever happy with the shit they spout?

Reply privately

By *..FirstMan
over a year ago

london

I have recently seen a few YouTube clips by Ben Shapiro who really captures my view on this.

I am done with the whining and victim mentality. If we can focus on more objective events and hold those people to account, I am all for that but right now it is really one sided.

Classic example is the shooting of Sasha Johnson... because it was a black on black shooting... what noise is made? NOTHING

I did not own s lav es, I am sure neither did you or you were not one, you and I went to the same schools, my parents are proud working class people who worked are to give me the best but no silver spoon up may arse...

No one said life was fair... dry your eyes and get on with it.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"I have recently seen a few YouTube clips by Ben Shapiro who really captures my view on this.

I am done with the whining and victim mentality. If we can focus on more objective events and hold those people to account, I am all for that but right now it is really one sided.

Classic example is the shooting of Sasha Johnson... because it was a black on black shooting... what noise is made? NOTHING

I did not own s lav es, I am sure neither did you or you were not one, you and I went to the same schools, my parents are proud working class people who worked are to give me the best but no silver spoon up may arse...

No one said life was fair... dry your eyes and get on with it."

Wow - who is whining and who is showing victim mentality?

Can you be a bit more specific, please?

Reply privately

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

"I have recently seen a few YouTube clips by Ben Shapiro who really captures my view on this.

No one said life was fair... dry your eyes and get on with it."

On the contrary, I feel.that my Country is a Sl*** nation, to Wm and the Crown and has been longer than any other.

why should my life and tax money benefit the already privilaged, who's life styles and family history would shame the devil?

Reply privately

By *..FirstMan
over a year ago

london

Can you be a bit more specific, please? "

My point is exactly that. I am looking for the specific examples and address them.

Derek Chauvin.... bad guy, justice served.

Next?

Reply privately

By *..FirstMan
over a year ago

london

On the contrary, I feel.that my Country is a Sl*** nation, to Wm and the Crown and has been longer than any other.

why should my life and tax money benefit the already privilaged, who's life styles and family history would shame the devil?

"

Sorry you feel that way. What can we do to fix that?

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

My point is exactly that. I am looking for the specific examples and address them.

Next? "

I think we may had misunderstood each other.

I am curious about this statement:

I am done with the whining and victim mentality. If we can focus on more objective events and hold those people to account, I am all for that but right now it is really one sided."

What is one-sided in your opinion?

Reply privately

By *..FirstMan
over a year ago

london

Next?

I am done with the whining and victim mentality. If we can focus on more objective events and hold those people to account, I am all for that but right now it is really one sided."

"

That was my poor command of English language. I mean that it appears to simply be casting accusations towards a general population or group without any tangible evidence.

Accusation , supported by evidence... hold to account.

It is also the emotionally charged way things are presented. What Chauvin did was not premeditated, is was wrong but not premeditated and not proven racist other than in the court of public opinion. I am sure the idiot would have put his knee on the throat of a white guy too if in a similar situation.

If Sasha Johnson was shot by a white person ... OMG the shit that would be raised and the feast that the woke media would spin... but is was black on black... “sorry no story here, move along...” Really?

Facts, cause and effect. If some one is prejudiced in any way, lets shut them down together... I am in.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Next?

That was my poor command of English language. I mean that it appears to simply be casting accusations towards a general population or group without any tangible evidence.

Accusation , supported by evidence... hold to account.

It is also the emotionally charged way things are presented. What Chauvin did was not premeditated, is was wrong but not premeditated and not proven racist other than in the court of public opinion. I am sure the idiot would have put his knee on the throat of a white guy too if in a similar situation.

If Sasha Johnson was shot by a white person ... OMG the shit that would be raised and the feast that the woke media would spin... but is was black on black... “sorry no story here, move along...” Really?

Facts, cause and effect. If some one is prejudiced in any way, lets shut them down together... I am in. "

Thanks for taking the trouble to explain

Reply privately

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

"I would say abit have changed. I saw an interesting interview with brandon tatum on the bbc world news who was a police officer of what he thought of it, he didnt agree with how the media reported on it.

Thats media for you, is anyone ever happy with the shit they spout?

"

Yes. I think that the media is to much involved in cases which could decide the outcome of them too.

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Views on racism aside, I think we can all agree on that the media is scum in that they may highlight things, but they do it in a premeditated way to manipulate conflict. That conflict exists, but the media takes it to a whole new level purposely.

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Those who are saying what has Lee Rigby got to do with it....

Some see soldier killed by terrorists.

Some see white soldier killed by two black men.

Was it racially motivated?

Who knows?

Would the terrorists have targeted a non white soldier?

who knows?

If two white terrorists killed a black man, would racism become a factor before any other possible reason political or not??

Very likely???

Good to debate isn't it? "

Lee Rigby was nothing to do with racism

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Views on racism aside, I think we can all agree on that the media is scum in that they may highlight things, but they do it in a premeditated way to manipulate conflict. That conflict exists, but the media takes it to a whole new level purposely. "

And who controls the media?

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

I do find it a bit alarming that people cannot see the difference between a ,gang shooting say,and a policeman killing a man in the street.

Does it really need to be highlighted that the police are supposed to protect the public, not kill them?

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Views on racism aside, I think we can all agree on that the media is scum in that they may highlight things, but they do it in a premeditated way to manipulate conflict. That conflict exists, but the media takes it to a whole new level purposely.

And who controls the media?"

Not just one person, or group. The mainstream media yes. However there are small independent media outlets that still do the exact same thing as the larger ones.

Nobody is truely impartial in their reporting of information and news. Things like this will always be in favor of one side or the other. Some walk the line, but hidden between the lines you can still see that it leans to a certain narrative.

And that is a world we live in. Facts will often be twisted, or manipulated even if it is slightly. Just enough to fan the flames of conflict and prolong their fuel.

Reply privately

By *tooveMan
over a year ago

belfast

"Pretty much nothing

What open racism towards white people have you seen? "

Really?

Reply privately

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

"Pretty much nothing

What open racism towards white people have you seen? "

when I was a teenager I had a paper round and the shop was owned by Asians and he used to say to us white men can’t be trusted and just sit on the dole drinking and white women are only good for two things one was standing 12 hours serving in his shop and the other was fucking he never trusted any of us paperboy and paper girls he was a disgusting individual who I’d still imagine has that big massive chip on his shoulder so yes I’ve witnessed it to a point

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"Views on racism aside, I think we can all agree on that the media is scum in that they may highlight things, but they do it in a premeditated way to manipulate conflict. That conflict exists, but the media takes it to a whole new level purposely.

And who controls the media?

Not just one person, or group. The mainstream media yes. However there are small independent media outlets that still do the exact same thing as the larger ones.

Nobody is truely impartial in their reporting of information and news. Things like this will always be in favor of one side or the other. Some walk the line, but hidden between the lines you can still see that it leans to a certain narrative.

And that is a world we live in. Facts will often be twisted, or manipulated even if it is slightly. Just enough to fan the flames of conflict and prolong their fuel. "

I'd say there are a very few powerful people in the media who have a very influential voice

Reply privately

over a year ago

the manchester bombing was never commemorated and i believe people of many faiths and colours were targeted and died.

lee rigby was beheaded and no one marked that anniversary.

now before anyone calls me a racist i want you to read this.

1998 10 months prison for armed robbery.

2002 8 months prison for cocaine.

2004 10 months prison for cocaine.

2005 10 months prison for cocaine.

2007 5 years for armed robbery pf a pregnant woman in her home.

that was the record of george floyd. now i fully understand the way he was killed was unacceptable. but what i dont understand is how people celebrate and riot on behalf of a career criminal.

yet we never give a seconds thought to people who are victims of the most violent crimes like lee rigby, like those who attended that concert in manchester to be blown to bits.

people forget this happened in america and a part of america that has bad police practices. it doesnt happen everywhere.

we are not a racist country. we have many different faiths and people from many different countries working and living here.

people need to get off social media, stop listening to the rubbish the bbc and cnn pump out fanning the flames of hate.

im not english, ive lived most of my life here and where i have been and what i have seen in the world we are bloody lucky here with the health service and standard of living.

people in the most in my experience are very tolerant of others religious beliefs and cultures.

people need to calm down and stop labelling everyone racist who has a difference of opinion.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"the manchester bombing was never commemorated and i believe people of many faiths and colours were targeted and died.

that was the record of george floyd. now i fully understand the way he was killed was unacceptable. but what i dont understand is how people celebrate and riot on behalf of a career criminal.

yet we never give a seconds thought to people who are victims of the most violent crimes like lee rigby, like those who attended that concert in manchester to be blown to bits.

people forget this happened in america and a part of america that has bad police practices. it doesnt happen everywhere.

we are not a racist country. we have many different faiths and people from many different countries working and living here.

people need to get off social media, stop listening to the rubbish the bbc and cnn pump out fanning the flames of hate.

im not english, ive lived most of my life here and where i have been and what i have seen in the world we are bloody lucky here with the health service and standard of living.

people in the most in my experience are very tolerant of others religious beliefs and cultures.

people need to calm down and stop labelling everyone racist who has a difference of opinion.

"

We got so divided, it's black and white and political

Republicans are bigots, libtards if you're liberal

There's riots in our streets, and it's just getting worse

Y'all screaming, "Defund the police", y'all are genius for sure

They're underfunded already, they're way too busy to work

Order food and call the cops, see what reaches you first

Reply privately

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"the manchester bombing was never commemorated and i believe people of many faiths and colours were targeted and died.

"

Well said. One of the best posts I’ve seen.

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 29/05/21 09:39:06]

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

I fully agree we are indeed fortunate to have the NHS and a comparatively good standard of living. I do not really see how this is related to the topic of George Floyd though.

I can understand, to some degree, how people find it difficult to accept the attention Floyd received given his criminal record. I think he became the trigger point for people standing up and venting their built-up anger, having had witnessed simply too much aggression against black people.

I agree that the media carry the lion share of blame, not just in George Floyd's case; it seems that objective reporting, integrity is no longer a desired quality in the media.

I also agree we as individuals would be better off filtering what we allow to bombard and influence our minds on a daily basis.

Only the last part of your post spoils it a bit for me (and I have spent many years in different countries, too): Calling out racism (sexism, ageism etc as well...) is important and should be encouraged, not labelled as "woke" or loony lefty (I know you did not say those things).

if we do not call out these remarks, attitudes and actions there is a risk of becoming tolerant of them and unwittingly finding ourselves tacitly supportive of them. It is what happened in Germany in the 1930ies.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Now I think I am going to get into trouble for what I am about to say but I think it’s an observation that needs to be noted….

I have been here many more years than I care to remember…. But when the killing of a person of colour by police comes up like a George floyd or a tamir rice… or a breanna Taylor or a Stephen Lawrence , there is a certain section of people that brings up a lee rigby….

I have been long enough that when lee rigby threads come up…. You don’t get the reverse happening… you never gets “well what about George floyd.. or a tamir rice… or a Stephen Lawrence”

Why is that?

Most people are smart not to conflate the two… but I see that lee rigby is so often being use to deflect, or distract, or used as an excuse in a conversation

In a way you are dishonouring his life, and service, and memory by doing this

Funny enough like you I was not born here but have lived most of my life here also…. Does racism exist… absolutely! Is it systemic? In some fields… sure! Denying it exists does not make it go away

As I said people need to stop patting themselves on the back and give out trophies for being least racist… because you can go to any famous sportspersons social media and see a ton of it… be that Marcus rashford, or Lewis Hamilton,

Or see how certain newspapers compare let’s say Phil foden to Raheem Stirling …. Or even just Meghan to Kate

I am so waiting on a “well why don’t you go back to where you come from” comment because ask any person of colour is they have ever had that nugget thrown in their direction….

I am absolutely proud of some bits of this country… you mentioned the nhs, most of my family one way or another have been working in for the last 40 odd years… my mum worked in it, my sister works in it!

But not acknowledging that racism exists is to me as much of the problem as those who peddle in it…

Remember in the George floyd trial the only reason it got that far was that the Minnesota state AG had to take over the case and bring in lawyers from the outside to prosecute it… because even after seeing the 9 minutes 29 second mobile phone footage… the local DA officials did not want to go any further, said they had no case to answer (that was why the big marches started)

Was he the perfect symbol… no, but as my grandma use to say… not every black person who sat at the back of the bus got to be Rosa Parks

For evil to flourish all that needs to happen is that the good people do nothing.. heck I butchered that quote… but the point start…

You believe racism does not exist… you are complicit… simple as!

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

Now I think I am going to get into trouble for what I am about to say but I think it’s an observation that needs to be noted….

I have been here many more years than I care to remember…. But when the killing of a person of colour by police comes up like a George floyd or a tamir rice… or a breanna Taylor or a Stephen Lawrence , there is a certain section of people that brings up a lee rigby….

I have been long enough that when lee rigby threads come up…. You don’t get the reverse happening… you never gets “well what about George floyd.. or a tamir rice… or a Stephen Lawrence”

Why is that?

Most people are smart not to conflate the two… but I see that lee rigby is so often being use to deflect, or distract, or used as an excuse in a conversation

Funny enough like you I was not born here but have lived most of my life here also…. Does racism exist… absolutely! Is it systemic? In some fields… sure! Denying it exists does not make it go away

As I said people need to stop patting themselves on the back and give out trophies for being least racist… because you can go to any famous sportspersons social media and see a ton of it… be that Marcus rashford, or Lewis Hamilton,

Or see how certain newspapers compare let’s say Phil foden to Raheem Stirling …. Or even just Meghan to Kate

I am so waiting on a “well why don’t you go back to where you come from” comment because ask any person of colour is they have ever had that nugget thrown in their direction….

I am absolutely proud of some bits of this country… you mentioned the nhs, most of my family one way or another have been working in for the last 40 odd years… my mum worked in it, my sister works in it!

But not acknowledging that racism exists is to me as much of the problem as those who peddle in it…

Remember in the George floyd trial the only reason it got that far was that the Minnesota state AG had to take over the case and bring in lawyers from the outside to prosecute it… because even after seeing the 9 minutes 29 second mobile phone footage… the local DA officials did not want to go any further, said they had no case to answer (that was why the big marches started)

Was he the perfect symbol… no, but as my grandma use to say… not every black person who sat at the back of the bus got to be Rosa Parks

For evil to flourish all that needs to happen is that the good people do nothing.. heck I butchered that quote… but the point start…

You believe racism does not exist… you are complicit… simple as!"

I think I love you _abio

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Why is that?

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

"

There's a huge difference between terrorists attacks and what happened to George Floyd. Terrorist attacks are to make a statement like the Manchester arena bombing was to kill a lot of people gathered in one place regardless of their race,it's meant to strike fear into people. Remember after the attack we had armed police in malls and most people wee scared to go to gatherings, that's what terrorists do. Lee was a soilder so he was targeted because of what he represented, an attack on a military man was a statement from 2 terrorists, they could have attacked any white person on he street that day but they saw a man wearing a help for hero's t-shirt and that was going to send a statement to the government. Now Floyd was no saint but for a police man to kneel on a handcuffed individual with his hands in his pocket and regardless of their race and they tell you they can't breath is a different issue.

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

Why is that?

Well said

Reply privately

By *elethWoman
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Why is that?

I couldn't agree more, Fabio. My understanding is that George Floyd became a symbol of the still very prevalent racism across the world. His murder highlights the institutional and societal racism that black people experience daily. Here's hoping discussions like this one give greater understanding of those challenges, and the need for change.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Btw I name Americans not because I think the American problem is unique or worse. There's a cultural taboo, as best I understand it, around saying the names of dead people in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander traditions.

Most of my feelings about Black Lives Matter are feelings about Australia.

Reply privately

over a year ago

As a white man nothing has changed for me and its not my place to answer for black people...maybe ask them if life has changed?

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

"

When you say The Manchester arena bombing has never been commemorated I'm assuming you mean the various vigils and concerts?

Reply privately

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Why is that?

Worded so much better than I ever could.

Reply privately

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

When you say The Manchester arena bombing has never been commemorated I'm assuming you mean the various vigils and concerts?"

The Great Manchester run immediately after the bombing was incredibly moving

Reply privately

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

There also seems to be an argument that if you have done something bad in the past,its perfectly acceptable to be murdered by a police man?

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Now I think I am going to get into trouble for what I am about to say but I think it’s an observation that needs to be noted….

Why is that?

Everything seems to focus far too much on the man, and not what is surrounding the man. As much as George Floyd is a martyr to some, he is a scapegoat to others.

I don't like the loss of a life, especially in those circumstances when it could have been avoided, but I will admit I don't feel as much as it would have if he were an upstanding member of the community (Black or White, my feeling toward him would still be the same).

What his death means and what it is part of, on a much larger scale is what should be at the forfront of all discussions. Because that is bigger than any one man and the things they may have done in the past. But the use of the man deflects and is used incorrectly by both sides more often than not.

Reply privately

By *iwie!Woman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Nothing has changed, there was fake outrage to avoid looking racist and empty promises of helping the movement and making actual tangible change.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The trial did not revolve around whether the cop was racist. It revolved around whether he committed murder or manslaughter.

The race issue is the spin and interpretation that others out upon it

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

"The trial did not revolve around whether the cop was racist. It revolved around whether he committed murder or manslaughter.

The race issue is the spin and interpretation that others out upon it"

Have a ever heard of anyone who has been trialed for racism??

Some people commit crimes based on racism or sexism and when you go to court you tried for the crime which is this case was murder . Racism is not a crime it's a choice

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"The trial did not revolve around whether the cop was racist. It revolved around whether he committed murder or manslaughter.

Some people commit crimes based on racism or sexism and when you go to court you tried for the crime which is this case was murder . Racism is not a crime it's a choice "

Well that's not true in the UK is it. Hate crimes are aggravated crimes in the UK. Certain characteristics are protected such as race and sexual orientation.

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

And this ladies is gentleman is what happens when you don't take your meds as prescribed .

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

Some people commit crimes based on racism or sexism and when you go to court you tried for the crime which is this case was murder . Racism is not a crime it's a choice

Well that's not true in the UK is it. Hate crimes are aggravated crimes in the UK. Certain characteristics are protected such as race and sexual orientation. "

So you're saying being racist is a crime in the UK??

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I see racism every day, it's usually on here with shallow women saying they only want BBC lol

And this ladies is gentleman is what happens when you don't take your meds as prescribed ."

Well to be objective we see lots of threads highlighting fabbers who say things like, no Asians. It's debated frequently

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

"I see racism every day, it's usually on here with shallow women saying they only want BBC lol

And this ladies is gentleman is what happens when you don't take your meds as prescribed .

Well to be objective we see lots of threads highlighting fabbers who say things like, no Asians. It's debated frequently"

So if a white woman who's married to a white man says she's only interested in meeting black man is she racist?

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

Well to be objective we see lots of threads highlighting fabbers who say things like, no Asians. It's debated frequently"

There's a huge difference between sexual preference and racism

Reply privately

By *dwan89Man
over a year ago

slough

I thought this was a swingers site was George Or Racism got to do this with ain’t the purpose of Fab to meet up and fuck, how do you lot even get onto topics like this I’m dead to funny lol

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Well to be objective we see lots of threads highlighting fabbers who say things like, no Asians. It's debated frequently

There's a huge difference between sexual preference and racism "

And many fabbers can't see that

Reply privately

By *ERRIBLE TWOSUMCouple
over a year ago

Suck mammys strap-on

"The viral video of that lass in Birmingham shows just how prevalent racism is on a micro social level."
So people off colour can't be racist just white people....il make a note off that in my diary.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Every colour race and creed has it's racism...

Reply privately

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"The viral video of that lass in Birmingham shows just how prevalent racism is on a micro social level.So people off colour can't be racist just white people....il make a note off that in my diary."

Where was that said? You are twisting things to fit your own defense.

Everyone has the capability to be racist toward anyone else just as anyone can be the victim of it. The overwhelming difference is that in the UK specifically, white people are in the majority pretty much the length of the country with the exception of a few areas. It is much easier to see cases of racism by white people towards the minority. And I say this as having witnessed it in person, not just media or Facebook telling me it happens.

Nobody has excuse to be racist towards anyone else.

I don't care who you are, White, Black, Eastern Asian or whatever else, don't be a racist asshat. Simple ass.

As _abio has said, it's nothing to be proud of by being the least racist. Just as having been the victim of racism is not a free pass to be racist towards others either. Instead of it being an arms race and competition to see who gets the last racist word, just chill and coexist without hate. You do t have to be pals, but at least be civil.

Reply privately