Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The BBC

Jump to newest

By * AND R 777 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Teesside

Is it time we stop funding the BBC, yet another scandal going on with these overpay pompous gits

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Are you suggesting that there are no scandels in other news organisations?

over a year ago

Teesside

"Are you suggesting that there are no scandels in other news organisations?

"

No of corse there is but we are not forst to pay for them, even if we don't watch it, mayby they could stand on there oun two feet like all the rest have too

By *incskittenWoman
over a year ago

Nottingham

You are not forced ...we all have a choice.

over a year ago

BBC is far better in terms of balance, content and value than any other news organisation I can think of in the UK.

While I'm at it, their spelling and grammar is probably better too.

over a year ago

Teesside

"You are not forced ...we all have a choice. "

Choice is get a TV licence or get taken to court and made to pay, that's forced to pay for something you don't use

over a year ago

"You are not forced ...we all have a choice.

Choice is get a TV licence or get taken to court and made to pay, that's forced to pay for something you don't use "

Quite a lot of people dont have a tv and dont pay for a licence

over a year ago

I like the BBC. I think they try hard to be impartial because of the people baying for their blood. Im saddened by the polarisation of news into a 'them and us' Fox news style. Its incredibly divisive, stokes tensions and encourages conflict. The BBC isnt perfect but I would like to keep it.

over a year ago

Martin Bashir.

over a year ago

Teesside

Choice is get a TV licence or get taken to court and made to pay, that's forced to pay for something you don't use

Quite a lot of people dont have a tv and dont pay for a licence"

Yes but the question is should we have to pay for something you don't use, not should we do without all together, I never go on a but I use my car so don't have to pay the bus fare aswell,

By *lice MaliceWoman
over a year ago

The Facility

Stop watching live TV and don't watch anything on BBC or BBC iPlayer and then legally you don't need a TV licence. You do however need a 'bit of paper' to say you don't need a licence, from the BBC, but that is free.

over a year ago

Teesside

"Stop watching live TV and don't watch anything on BBC or BBC iPlayer and then legally you don't need a TV licence. You do however need a 'bit of paper' to say you don't need a licence, from the BBC, but that is free. "

Thanks I will look into that option

By *lice MaliceWoman
over a year ago

The Facility

"Stop watching live TV and don't watch anything on BBC or BBC iPlayer and then legally you don't need a TV licence. You do however need a 'bit of paper' to say you don't need a licence, from the BBC, but that is free.

Thanks I will look into that option "

You're welcome

Its easy to do on line, but in order to get a rebate on any licence you've already bought you may need to ring them.

over a year ago

Teesside

"Stop watching live TV and don't watch anything on BBC or BBC iPlayer and then legally you don't need a TV licence. You do however need a 'bit of paper' to say you don't need a licence, from the BBC, but that is free.

You're welcome

Its easy to do on line, but in order to get a rebate on any licence you've already bought you may need to ring them. "

It's more the principal of it than the cash, just don't like the feeling of having to pay for something I never use

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

You're welcome

Its easy to do on line, but in order to get a rebate on any licence you've already bought you may need to ring them.

It's more the principal of it than the cash, just don't like the feeling of having to pay for something I never use "

Then why do it....that bit is under your control.

over a year ago

Quite a lot of people dont have a tv and dont pay for a licence"

Quite a lot do have a TV, don't have a TV licence, and watch the online offerings. Although you have to avoid online-live offerings !!

By *lice MaliceWoman
over a year ago

The Facility

"Stop watching live TV and don't watch anything on BBC or BBC iPlayer and then legally you don't need a TV licence. You do however need a 'bit of paper' to say you don't need a licence, from the BBC, but that is free. "

Addendum:

That's stop watching live tv on ANY channel including but not limited to Amazon, Netflix or Sky, not just on BBC.

You can't record live programmes to watch later either.

By *lice MaliceWoman
over a year ago

The Facility

I've had a few enquiries about why people need a tv licence but unfortunately I'm not an expert (and I don't work for the BBC).

For further information, I suggest either googling tv licensing, or looking at the government website under tv licensing

over a year ago

I'm going to look into not having TV licence.

I rarely watch TV and stream everything and there is nothing on the BBC at all that appeals to me.

I resent the fee for the TV licence

over a year ago

"I've had a few enquiries about why people need a tv licence but unfortunately I'm not an expert (and I don't work for the BBC).

For further information, I suggest either googling tv licensing, or looking at the government website under tv licensing "

Thats almost like a Public Service announcement

By *lice MaliceWoman
over a year ago

The Facility

"I'm going to look into not having TV licence.

I rarely watch TV and stream everything and there is nothing on the BBC at all that appeals to me.

I resent the fee for the TV licence"

It's worth looking into especially if you don't watch (or record) any live tv.

It used to be that if you had a tv you had to have a tv licence, but that changed a few years ago now.

I think there's quite a few people who don't need a licence who are still paying for one.

By *irtyold manMan
over a year ago

barnsley

I agree its time we part from the bbc .they should fund themselvs like other tv channels.the bbc is too big for its boots .demanding money from everyone who has a tv.been notified when somone buys a new tv.demanding money from oap pensioners. Lets use the millions we pay the bbc every year and put it back into the country like funding starving kids funding food banks funding housing and funding the nhs who look after us

By *lice MaliceWoman
over a year ago

The Facility

"I've had a few enquiries about why people need a tv licence but unfortunately I'm not an expert (and I don't work for the BBC).

For further information, I suggest either googling tv licensing, or looking at the government website under tv licensing

Thats almost like a Public Service announcement "

I had my best Black Country accent on too just to mix it up a bit

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Is it time we stop funding the BBC, yet another scandal going on with these overpay pompous gits "

50p a day for the quality of programming in the field of children’s tv, or drama, or natural history,

For the national and their local radio output, for their regional news, for their sports coverage, for the website!

For the iPlayer……..

Again… 50p per day

over a year ago

Teesside

You're welcome

It's more the principal of it than the cash, just don't like the feeling of having to pay for something I never use

Then why do it....that bit is under your control."

I will ow I know you can,

over a year ago

"I agree its time we part from the bbc .they should fund themselvs like other tv channels.the bbc is too big for its boots .demanding money from everyone who has a tv.been notified when somone buys a new tv.demanding money from oap pensioners. Lets use the millions we pay the bbc every year and put it back into the country like funding starving kids funding food banks funding housing and funding the nhs who look after us"

If people are unhappy about paying for the BBC what makes you think they would use the money they save to donate to the NHS or the poor?

So you would use the money you save on your licence fee to donate to worthy causes?

over a year ago

"Is it time we stop funding the BBC, yet another scandal going on with these overpay pompous gits

50p a day for the quality of programming in the field of children’s tv, or drama, or natural history,

For the national and their local radio output, for their regional news, for their sports coverage, for the website!

For the iPlayer……..

Again… 50p per day "

I agree with you, mate. Its fantastic value for money. But it only works if we all pay in.

Also, no mindless adverts.

Amazing nature documentaries.

And... CBeeBies - worth it for that alone!

By *lice MaliceWoman
over a year ago

The Facility

Your tv licence covers ALL live television, not just the BBC. It's a licence to watch (and record) live TV programmes. It's collected by the UK Government. It is UK law that you need to have a licence to watch (and record) live tv.

I have a tv licence, I bought one last year at the beginning of the pandemic. It's the first time I've had one in eleven years because I wanted to watch BBC programmes. Before that I had a licence to say I didn't watch or record live tv, and I didn't.

There are some incredible programmes to watch. There are hundreds to choose from and they are some of the best in the world.

I don't want my contribution to this thread to come across as BBC bashing.

over a year ago

"Your tv licence covers ALL live television, not just the BBC. It's a licence to watch (and record) live TV programmes. It's collected by the UK Government. It is UK law that you need to have a licence to watch (and record) live tv.

I have a tv licence, I bought one last year at the beginning of the pandemic. It's the first time I've had one in eleven years because I wanted to watch BBC programmes. Before that I had a licence to say I didn't watch or record live tv, and I didn't.

There are some incredible programmes to watch. There are hundreds to choose from and they are some of the best in the world.

I don't want my contribution to this thread to come across as BBC bashing."

Its ok - it dosnt

over a year ago

Will never pay a bunch of paedophilic snobs for a licence fee, never have never will. They are rotten to the core.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Is it time we stop funding the BBC, yet another scandal going on with these overpay pompous gits

For the iPlayer……..

Again… 50p per day "

Yup!

Some people spend more on milk or a week on coffee

over a year ago

"Will never pay a bunch of paedophilic snobs for a licence fee, never have never will. They are rotten to the core. "

Thats quite a sweeping characterisation of a lot of people

over a year ago

in this day and age its an outdated model, we should be able to choose what we pay for, the tv license is more like a tv tax, why should i have to pay for something i dont use, i never watch the bbc

By *ljamMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

It's far from perfect but on balance I'm a fan of the BBC. From a news point of view it's more publicly accountable than any other media outlet so despite the bleating from either end of the political spectrum it's more neutral. It also makes some excellent programming, from documentaries to drama to kid's shows. It's been an easy scapegoat for the government to bash over the years, and hasn't helped itself with some of its choices, but overall I think it's a great institution.

By *ncubussuccubusCouple
over a year ago

funky

YouTube ChilliJonCarne for licence info.

#publicinformation

over a year ago

People who say they never watch anything on BBC or BBC iPlayer so they shouldn't have to pay for a licence are liars. By the way, I don't watch anything on ITV but I still have to pay for the advertising every time I buy a cake of soap.

over a year ago

Teesside

"People who say they never watch anything on BBC or BBC iPlayer so they shouldn't have to pay for a licence are liars. By the way, I don't watch anything on ITV but I still have to pay for the advertising every time I buy a cake of soap."

So how an I a liar when I say I font watch BBC

over a year ago

Stopped watching BBC just after christmas, not missed it at all.

By *ncubussuccubusCouple
over a year ago

funky

"People who say they never watch anything on BBC or BBC iPlayer so they shouldn't have to pay for a licence are liars. By the way, I don't watch anything on ITV but I still have to pay for the advertising every time I buy a cake of soap."

Oh really!

We have absolutely no means of recieving live broadcast TV..well, at least no Arials in the TVs..

We also don't have the iPlayer (you need to register)

We genuinely don't need a licence so are not paying for one.

Neither are we informing them that we don't need their services (they keep writing.. we keep ignoring)... I don't tell Tesco I won't be shopping with them this week.

It's a matter of principle... If I used it, I would pay for it... It's not about the money.

From what I have seen of it when visiting my parents it's vacuous rubbish in the main.

PS I'm a bloody expert on this subject..over many years...

Carry on

over a year ago

Tend to look at their online news content which is free, they're one of the few sources for current affairs news I feel I can trust. No news can be impartial that's pure Jackanory. But I think they do strive for balance in their reporting.

over a year ago

I don't.

Only reason I own a TV is for gaming.

over a year ago

"Is it time we stop funding the BBC, yet another scandal going on with these overpay pompous gits "

Not paid the licence fee for about 10 years, told em I don't watch live telly or iplayer simples

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

It’s long overdue, the public fund bbc and national radio stations..

Everyone else runs on a commercial basis.

Yet if you don’t want to listen or watch the national stations, you still have to pay them!!

That’s just ridiculous

over a year ago

"People who say they never watch anything on BBC or BBC iPlayer so they shouldn't have to pay for a licence are liars. By the way, I don't watch anything on ITV but I still have to pay for the advertising every time I buy a cake of soap.

Well said x

Oh really!

We have absolutely no means of recieving live broadcast TV..well, at least no Arials in the TVs..

Neither are we informing them that we don't need their services (they keep writing.. we keep ignoring)... I don't tell Tesco I won't be shopping with them this week.

It's a matter of principle... If I used it, I would pay for it... It's not about the money.

From what I have seen of it when visiting my parents it's vacuous rubbish in the main.

Carry on"

over a year ago

Teesside

"People who say they never watch anything on BBC or BBC iPlayer so they shouldn't have to pay for a licence are liars. By the way, I don't watch anything on ITV but I still have to pay for the advertising every time I buy a cake of soap.

Oh really!

Carry on"

I think he must be spying on us all to see what we are whaching

Post new Message to Thread