Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Outdoor LED lights

Jump to newest

By *icolerobbie OP   Couple
over a year ago

walsall

I am getting fed up replacing outdoor LED lights. They are supposed to be the green option, but this is simply not true. I have three of them on my property and they never last longer than 12 months.

They saving on electricity is no where near worth it when you consider the cost of replacement.

My old outdoor lights had a bulb. When it failed ( usually 3 or 4 years) it was easily replaced. Yes, they used more electricity, but the bulbs were very low priced.

LED’s are a complete false economy and do nothing for the food of the planet, especially as there are factories churning out this disposable tat.

Any body else think that so called green options are in fact the complete opposite?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *erdy NancyWoman
over a year ago

East Devon

Are you talking about the solar ones?

over a year ago

walsall

"Are you talking about the solar ones? "

No, the 240v pir floodlight type.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yep, also they are usually not bright enough either.

over a year ago

Biggest one electric cars

over a year ago

walsall

"Yep, also they are usually not bright enough either. "

Brightness is not a problem, it’s the lifespan is were they fail.

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"I am getting fed up replacing outdoor LED lights. They are supposed to be the green option, but this is simply not true. I have three of them on my property and they never last longer than 12 months.

They saving on electricity is no where near worth it when you consider the cost of replacement.

My old outdoor lights had a bulb. When it failed ( usually 3 or 4 years) it was easily replaced. Yes, they used more electricity, but the bulbs were very low priced.

LED’s are a complete false economy and do nothing for the food of the planet, especially as there are factories churning out this disposable tat.

Any body else think that so called green options are in fact the complete opposite?"

I had similar until an electrician mate checked it out and it was a combination of the actual pir unit being Chinese that wasn't of decent quality with a loose connection, rusty terminals so poor connection and me buying cheap amazon bulbs.

I binned it and bought one from an electrical trade centre, That was 5 years ago and I've not replaced a bulb since.

over a year ago

"I am getting fed up replacing outdoor LED lights. They are supposed to be the green option, but this is simply not true. I have three of them on my property and they never last longer than 12 months.

Any body else think that so called green options are in fact the complete opposite?"

LED lights are the way forward. They are all round better and safer to use. The saving on electricity is not really noticeable to you as a domestic user.

If you was to switch back to old sulphur lights then you would definitely notice the difference.

Check that your light is IP rated and is free of any weathering causing water to get inside. LED bulbs are very complex and have a lot of parts inside them. Moisture will ruin these parts.

Also check that the wattage of the bulb is in line with the maximum wattage of the light. (Usually a sticker on the back of the light or inside)

Failing this consult an electrician. They will be able to advise the best action for you and possibly find a fault on the circuit.

Outside lighting is always a problem for electricians. Especially in sunny England!

Hope this helps.

over a year ago

Also check your warranty!!

over a year ago

walsall

"Also check your warranty!! "

Yes, 3 years warranty. They’ve been swapped out under warranty.

Theses are ip66 rated sealed units.

over a year ago

walsall

Any body else think that so called green options are in fact the complete opposite?

LED lights are the way forward. They are all round better and safer to use. The saving on electricity is not really noticeable to you as a domestic user.

If you was to switch back to old sulphur lights then you would definitely notice the difference.

Check that your light is IP rated and is free of any weathering causing water to get inside. LED bulbs are very complex and have a lot of parts inside them. Moisture will ruin these parts.

Also check that the wattage of the bulb is in line with the maximum wattage of the light. (Usually a sticker on the back of the light or inside)

Failing this consult an electrician. They will be able to advise the best action for you and possibly find a fault on the circuit.

Outside lighting is always a problem for electricians. Especially in sunny England!

Hope this helps.

"

They are the way forward, but don’t agree that they are better or more efficient, especially when they need replacing every 12 months.

We have become a throw away society.

over a year ago

Hope this helps.

They are the way forward, but don’t agree that they are better or more efficient, especially when they need replacing every 12 months.

We have become a throw away society."

Believe it or not they are more efficient. The problem is that there is too many cheap and nasty alternatives.

Pop into your nearest electrical wholesale store and ask them to advice you on the best bulbs for you. You will also get a warranty with them that you will be able to take advantage of without hassle.

over a year ago

We bought the color changing LED rope lights had them 2 years now no issues.

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

[Removed by poster at 23/05/21 14:43:18]

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

"Yep, also they are usually not bright enough either.

Brightness is not a problem, it’s the lifespan is were they fail."

Don't buy the cheap brands.

Pay a little more for Osram/ Ledvance.

Ours are over 5 years old and as good as the day that Mr M installed them.

over a year ago

walsall

"Yep, also they are usually not bright enough either.

Brightness is not a problem, it’s the lifespan is were they fail.

Don't buy the cheap brands.

Pay a little more for Osram/ Ledvance.

Ours are over 5 years old and as good as the day that Mr M installed them."

This sounds like good advice.

Post new Message to Thread