Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

20th May - World Bee Day

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

The United Nations have declared 20th May as World Bee Day, to honour the contribution bees make to all our lives.

Did you know that bees are responsible for 99.9% of all the jam on supermarket shelves. If there were no bees then all that shelf space would have to be filled with something like eggs or pickled onions. It would also mean toast and rice pudding would be significantly less interesting.

Bees are considered the least dangerous of the stripped flying insects, and it is often said that they are more scared of you than you are of them. So, if you freak the fuck out when a bee comes near you, then you can only imagine the level of terror the bee is feeling. With no bees then wasps would be considered the benevolent bumbling idiots of the insect world, clearing away all the decaying fruit for us, and murder hornets would be demoted to picnic spoiling bastards.

Bees have been adopted as the symbol of the city of Manchester. It is the law that any artwork relating to, or photograph of, Manchester must have a bee in it. Failure to comply with this would result in significant original thought.

Do you like bees? One flew into my ear and stung me when I was in primary school so I used to be scared of them, but I don't mind them now.

If you see a bee whilst you are out and about today, why not give it a big hug to thank it for all it has done.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Do-bee-do-bee-do

over a year ago

Seen quite a few bees in the garden. Keeping patches of it wild helps.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

Until I saw a bee identification piece in a gardening magazine once, I didn't realise we had so many different bees.

By *elle xWoman
over a year ago

Doire Theas

Yay

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

"Do-bee-do-bee-do"

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

Oh, and that amazing sound when you hear that deep buzz of one that sounds like an old bomber style plane, and you feel spring is here.

over a year ago

"Oh, and that amazing sound when you hear that deep buzz of one that sounds like an old bomber style plane, and you feel spring is here."

One of those bloody great bumble bees that has a downdraft that can empty a pub garden ashtray.

The time I'm thinking of the Aussie sat at the table was the one that freaked. Which is fair, where she's from stuff like that can kill you. Bees are cool, wasps are bastards.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"Oh, and that amazing sound when you hear that deep buzz of one that sounds like an old bomber style plane, and you feel spring is here.

One of those bloody great bumble bees that has a downdraft that can empty a pub garden ashtray.

The time I'm thinking of the Aussie sat at the table was the one that freaked. Which is fair, where she's from stuff like that can kill you. Bees are cool, wasps are bastards."

Oh yes. Lying in the sun when a big fat bumblebee flies really close, and you feel the air movement of its wings

over a year ago

"Oh, and that amazing sound when you hear that deep buzz of one that sounds like an old bomber style plane, and you feel spring is here."

I thought someone was strimming their garden the other day

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

I Bees.

And did you that Bumble Bees enjoy being stroked as they sleep

By *irty Flirty HarryMan
over a year ago

East Sussex

When is World bidet ?