Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Hoarders

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Are you one - do you throw things you don't need away?

Those car crash TV programmes where people with mental health issues live in houses where they can't move for stacks of rubbish from floor to ceiling are a different story

But how many forgotten'hobbies' do you have taking up space?

I find how other people live fascinating

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

I am the master of the unfinished model kit.

Titanic lingered on the keel for a decade before I sank it finally.

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

I have way more than I need and absolutely need to declutter, not just physically but also digitally.

over a year ago

"I am the master of the unfinished model kit.

Titanic lingered on the keel for a decade before I sank it finally."

that would drive me mad!

I hate stuff lying around- it collects dust.

over a year ago

"I have way more than I need and absolutely need to declutter, not just physically but also digitally. "

Do it!

You will feel cleansed

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"I am the master of the unfinished model kit.

Titanic lingered on the keel for a decade before I sank it finally.

that would drive me mad!

I hate stuff lying around- it collects dust."

You’d loathe me then lol

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

"I have way more than I need and absolutely need to declutter, not just physically but also digitally.

Do it!

You will feel cleansed "

But tea and cake

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

I don't consider myself a hoarder, but I do tend to save things just in case. The problem being, occasionally I can 'save the day' for someone with something I had tucked away, which then reinforces my belief that these 'things' are worth keeping. I do occasionally have a clear out, and I think a definition of a hoarder would be if the clutter impacted on your life, which mine doesn't.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

In my home No i hate clutter, if it hasnt got a place it goes...

until you go into my garage its a 5 car garage but is a shrine to 'ford memorabilia' i have a thing for hording anything from old ford showroom signs, tins, old ford car parts anything 'rs' theres not a empty space on the wall thats not a shrine to 'ford'.

Its my happy place

By *an4funMan
over a year ago

london

I wish I was more ruthless when it comes to throwing stuff away. I tend to hold on to stuff that I really don't need. Even broken devices. I figure I can still use it for something or use a part in it to fix something that might break in the future.

Luckily I am not someone who buys a lot of stuff

over a year ago

"I don't consider myself a hoarder, but I do tend to save things just in case. The problem being, occasionally I can 'save the day' for someone with something I had tucked away, which then reinforces my belief that these 'things' are worth keeping. I do occasionally have a clear out, and I think a definition of a hoarder would be if the clutter impacted on your life, which mine doesn't."

But how often do you save the day with the stuff you keep

And how easy would it be just to get things as you need them?

I'm seriously considering becoming a professional de - clutterer

over a year ago

I'm quite ruthless, and when I buy something new I try and get rid of something in its place. I do buy way too many books but even there I make regular donations to the charity shop with older ones.

over a year ago

"In my home No i hate clutter, if it hasnt got a place it goes...

until you go into my garage its a 5 car garage but is a shrine to 'ford memorabilia' i have a thing for hording anything from old ford showroom signs, tins, old ford car parts anything 'rs' theres not a empty space on the wall thats not a shrine to 'ford'.

Its my happy place "

OK if you have a designated clutter area that's forgiven

By *nked_kittenWoman
over a year ago

Ankh Morpork

Those programmes off a glimpse into my future if I’m not careful and also make me feel that my clutter is still at an ok stage

over a year ago

"I wish I was more ruthless when it comes to throwing stuff away. I tend to hold on to stuff that I really don't need. Even broken devices. I figure I can still use it for something or use a part in it to fix something that might break in the future.

Luckily I am not someone who buys a lot of stuff"

Throw the broken stuff away!

over a year ago

"I'm quite ruthless, and when I buy something new I try and get rid of something in its place. I do buy way too many books but even there I make regular donations to the charity shop with older ones."

Books are keepers

over a year ago

"Those programmes off a glimpse into my future if I’m not careful and also make me feel that my clutter is still at an ok stage "

start today just throw 5 things away

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"I don't consider myself a hoarder, but I do tend to save things just in case. The problem being, occasionally I can 'save the day' for someone with something I had tucked away, which then reinforces my belief that these 'things' are worth keeping. I do occasionally have a clear out, and I think a definition of a hoarder would be if the clutter impacted on your life, which mine doesn't.

I'm seriously considering becoming a professional de - clutterer "

I don't 'save the day' very often, but it is immensely satisfying when I do. I guess my age group is against me as we often saved things to reuse, foil containers, jam jars etc. It is a form of recycling, that's my excuse

over a year ago

"I don't consider myself a hoarder, but I do tend to save things just in case. The problem being, occasionally I can 'save the day' for someone with something I had tucked away, which then reinforces my belief that these 'things' are worth keeping. I do occasionally have a clear out, and I think a definition of a hoarder would be if the clutter impacted on your life, which mine doesn't.

I don't 'save the day' very often, but it is immensely satisfying when I do. I guess my age group is against me as we often saved things to reuse, foil containers, jam jars etc. It is a form of recycling, that's my excuse "

Jam jars

Noooooo throw them away!

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

So many hobbies, so little space....

Unfinished needlework, model kits half done, craft kits where we've lost one incredibly vital important piece.

Siiiigh!

over a year ago

I try not to collect clutter but like many others find myself holding onto the odd few things "just in case" or "that will come in handy one day".

I do try to have a mass clear out now and again especially after my mum passed and it took my brother's, sister and myself a year (I kid you not) to clear her house of things she kept that would be handy one day.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

I don't 'save the day' very often, but it is immensely satisfying when I do. I guess my age group is against me as we often saved things to reuse, foil containers, jam jars etc. It is a form of recycling, that's my excuse

Jam jars

Noooooo throw them away!

"

GIVE them away to jam and chutney makers. It's called recycling lady

If you are lucky they give you some filled ones back

over a year ago

I visit people in their homes for my work and probably go in 10 properties a week and have done for 15 years.

I could tell many many stories about the crazy ways that some people live!

That said, I can never throw a coffee jar away. They go in the shed and will be useful one day... Maybe. M

over a year ago

I'll go through periods of getting rid of stuff but I'm worse for hanging onto cables, bits of computers, smart phones and other techy stuff - there's always something they might be needed for.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"I'll go through periods of getting rid of stuff but I'm worse for hanging onto cables, bits of computers, smart phones and other techy stuff - there's always something they might be needed for."

Oh I throw that stuff away. Tech is beyond me

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

Oh, I lie. I have three very old phones you can have

over a year ago

"Oh, I lie. I have three very old phones you can have "

How old? Are they smart ones? Apple or Android? I am using an old Samsung as a bedside clock.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"Oh, I lie. I have three very old phones you can have

How old? Are they smart ones? Apple or Android? I am using an old Samsung as a bedside clock. "

Old old. Two of them were donated to me as other people's 'old outdated' phones

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I am not a hoarder but I put things off for something more fun to do, I have a To Go shed that I'll put things in I don't want or need, but there it stays

I am good at throwing away broken stuff though

over a year ago

I don’t like clutter and mess. If it doesn’t get used then It goes in the bin.

When I get bored of a certain picture/decoration I offer it to friends and if they say no I just put it in the dustbin and buy something new.

Old school uniform gets donated to the schools along with anything I think the school may find useful.

Kids seem to have to much toys though. I just shut their bedroom doors.

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

I’m drowning in books.

By *offiaCoolWoman
over a year ago

Kidsgrove

"I’m drowning in books."

I give them to my neighbour, who passes them on to a friend, then another friend etc.

By *stellaWoman
over a year ago

London

"I’m drowning in books.

I give them to my neighbour, who passes them on to a friend, then another friend etc. "

That’s a good system, I need to donate some for sure.

Post new Message to Thread