Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Should I Throw A Sickie

Jump to newest

By *os19 OP   Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

Back in February after almost 8 years I went sick after a verbal argument with my manager.Today we had another verbal argument and I am thinking of throwing a sickie and maybe meeting a potential FWB to sort out a few details of how the dynamics will work as we went out a few years ago but drifted apart as we wanted different things.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

find a different job

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Nope, go in, sort it out with your boss and throw a sickie when they least expect it

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

No, you’ll only start feeling on edge because a row is laying heavy in the air.

Sort it out.

By *os19 OP   Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

"Back in February after almost 8 years I went sick after a verbal argument with my manager.Today we had another verbal argument and I am thinking of throwing a sickie and maybe meeting a potential FWB to sort out a few details of how the dynamics will work as we went out a few years ago but drifted apart as we wanted different things."
. Sorry I wasn’t to clear I have worked the same job just over 20 years now and my last sick day was in 2013 until February of this year when after a verbal argument over the telephone I snapped.

By *otmyrealname99Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Go in and bang your boss instead

By *os19 OP   Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

"Back in February after almost 8 years I went sick after a verbal argument with my manager.Today we had another verbal argument and I am thinking of throwing a sickie and maybe meeting a potential FWB to sort out a few details of how the dynamics will work as we went out a few years ago but drifted apart as we wanted different things.. Sorry I wasn’t to clear I have worked the same job just over 20 years now and my last sick day was in 2013 until February of this year when after a verbal argument over the telephone I snapped."
. I have thrown in the sickie as if I go in today there will be words exchanged that I will not be able to take back after I probably go in tomorrow afternoon.

over a year ago

"Back in February after almost 8 years I went sick after a verbal argument with my manager.Today we had another verbal argument and I am thinking of throwing a sickie and maybe meeting a potential FWB to sort out a few details of how the dynamics will work as we went out a few years ago but drifted apart as we wanted different things."

Don't throw your work ethic out over a argument...

over a year ago

No! Go in and face it running away is not the answer

By *nkforthekinkMan
over a year ago

london/fareham

Don’t let the bastards break you down. Go to work if you pull a sicky they will know the arguement effected you! Chin up! strutt in there like you don’t care!

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Is there a way you can go over your manager's head to their manager and bring him into the conversation as an intermediary?

By *os19 OP   Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

"Is there a way you can go over your manager's head to their manager and bring him into the conversation as an intermediary?"
. After the first argument 5th February I emailed the office manager 27th February and had a meeting start of March. I was ask if I felt I could work with my manager and if I wanted a transfer to another section. I decided to remain on the section but it hasn’t worked out the way I would have liked. I have had my section manager for almost 6 years and we have never really got on.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Back in February after almost 8 years I went sick after a verbal argument with my manager.Today we had another verbal argument and I am thinking of throwing a sickie and maybe meeting a potential FWB to sort out a few details of how the dynamics will work as we went out a few years ago but drifted apart as we wanted different things.. Sorry I wasn’t to clear I have worked the same job just over 20 years now and my last sick day was in 2013 until February of this year when after a verbal argument over the telephone I snapped.. I have thrown in the sickie as if I go in today there will be words exchanged that I will not be able to take back after I probably go in tomorrow afternoon."

He can't have an argument with himself and you are openly admitting here that you are going to 'say things' .......

If this is something that you can get over then get over it.

If it's something you can't get over then change your job.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

P.S. Your reason for taking a sickie is to see an old FB ..... not to sort your head and feelings out re your job.

I say leave......... just leave. Find somewhere to be happy.

over a year ago

"Nope, go in, sort it out with your boss and throw a sickie when they least expect it "

Definitely this, and get another job. Easier said than done I know but if your boss is causing issues it's better to leave.

By *os19 OP   Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

"P.S. Your reason for taking a sickie is to see an old FB ..... not to sort your head and feelings out re your job.

I say leave......... just leave. Find somewhere to be happy."

. If I hadn’t had the argument yesterday I would be in work now and I wouldn’t have considered a sickie. My thinking to seeing my old FWB was to sort out the dynamic of how it would work and take my mind of the argument.However my old FWB has now cancelled and I guess I have more time to decide what my next course of action will be with my work issues

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

"Is there a way you can go over your manager's head to their manager and bring him into the conversation as an intermediary?. After the first argument 5th February I emailed the office manager 27th February and had a meeting start of March. I was ask if I felt I could work with my manager and if I wanted a transfer to another section. I decided to remain on the section but it hasn’t worked out the way I would have liked. I have had my section manager for almost 6 years and we have never really got on."

Do you like your job and the people you work with? If so, it might be worth asking if that transfer is still on the table. If not, then it might be worth looking for a new job. Good luck!

By *os19 OP   Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

"Is there a way you can go over your manager's head to their manager and bring him into the conversation as an intermediary?. After the first argument 5th February I emailed the office manager 27th February and had a meeting start of March. I was ask if I felt I could work with my manager and if I wanted a transfer to another section. I decided to remain on the section but it hasn’t worked out the way I would have liked. I have had my section manager for almost 6 years and we have never really got on.

Do you like your job and the people you work with? If so, it might be worth asking if that transfer is still on the table. If not, then it might be worth looking for a new job. Good luck!"

. Since Covid19 the job role and the way we work doesn’t suit me and I admit I maybe haven’t adjusted as well as I would have liked. I will probably go in tomorrow and clear what I want to clear and maybe send a email to the office manager seeing if a transfer is still available.

over a year ago

If they see a pattern of verbal argument followed by a day on the sick then you’re going to have more problems than sorting out a FWB.

over a year ago

Go in and bum him/her

Post new Message to Thread