Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dog owners

Jump to newest

By *luebell888 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

How much did you pay for your pooch?. Chatted to a lady down the park today who had a Westie puppy which cost her £3000. To me this is crazy money. My retriever cost £600 and my Cockerpoo £650.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *P994Man
over a year ago

Travelling

Dogs are currently going for crazy money. My male Am bulldog cost me £1200 and has had loads of health issues. His half sister, a crossbreed mutt cost £200 and has never had any issues. You can get a healthy working family pet for £500 from an ethical breeder, I’d happily pay over £1000 again though for the right dog but I’d probably go to rescues and home an unwanted bull breed dog now.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Can't remember the cost of the 2 dogs but puppy prices have rocketed through the last year. I am presuming because demand has increased so much. Every time I'm walking in the local park it seems like everyone else is out with a new puppy.

over a year ago

Nothing, she was a rescue (springer spaniel)

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

Our last one was a collie cross that a family member couldn't keep - and he was wonderful, and we miss him terribly.

On the subject of getting a dog, and what breeds, speak to your local vet and ask what breeds tend to have what issues, if you haven't got your heart set on a particular.

Ah, I'm sad now. Hug your dogs for me.

over a year ago

Glasgowish

I will get a rescue dog next time from our local cat and dog home. I can not understand people who pay silly money for a pet.

By *ohjaneCouple
over a year ago

south staffs

Aww, dog duly hugged. X

Our ten year old lab is golden, well trained and so integrated that we hardly know we have her.... Except if dodgy peeps are prowling !

J x

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"Aww, dog duly hugged. X

Our ten year old lab is golden, well trained and so integrated that we hardly know we have her.... Except if dodgy peeps are prowling !

J x

"

By *ooo wet tight hornyWoman
over a year ago

lancashire

It's shocking how much people want for a puppy, most people that I have seen advertising are not true breeders....just some one that has a dog and wants to cash in. So many badly bred dogs with loads of health issues, and as for the puppy farms...Disgusting I had a Jack Russell cross and paid £55 for her, she lived to the age of 16 1/2 with NO health issues. Jack Russell's are now been sold for up to £3,000...even cross breeds are expensive. Such a shame and a disgrace. You have to wonder just how many of these beautiful animals and loyal companions will end up in Dog re-homing centers...so sad!! Remember....A DOG IS FOR LIFE..NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS OR DURING COVID!!

over a year ago

Glasgowish

"It's shocking how much people want for a puppy, most people that I have seen advertising are not true breeders....just some one that has a dog and wants to cash in. So many badly bred dogs with loads of health issues, and as for the puppy farms...Disgusting I had a Jack Russell cross and paid £55 for her, she lived to the age of 16 1/2 with NO health issues. Jack Russell's are now been sold for up to £3,000...even cross breeds are expensive. Such a shame and a disgrace. You have to wonder just how many of these beautiful animals and loyal companions will end up in Dog re-homing centers...so sad!! Remember....A DOG IS FOR LIFE..NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS OR DURING COVID!! "

Even more shocking that folk are daft enough to pay these silly prices.

By *icentiousCouple
over a year ago

Up on them there hills

RSPCA, about £100 for costs and a donation.

Stunning dog.

By *uriously-KinkyCPLCouple
over a year ago

Shropshire

80 quid from a rescue awsome dog we would never pay that kind of money for a puppy when there are soo many good rescue dogs out there

By *tephenBunChowMan
over a year ago

Haywards heath/Waterlooville

My border terrier 13 years ago was £450, now BT pups are going for £2500!!!

By *ameiMan
over a year ago

Aviemore

My doberman was £400 and the pups she gave birth to were estimated between 2500 and 3000

over a year ago

Rescued staffie £100 I wish people would stop spending stupid amounts of money on so called designer dogs and help by adopting a rescue dog cheers mark

By * Lexi xWoman
over a year ago

stockport

Both mine were rescued…..

English bulldog and a frenchie.

I would never pay thousands for a dog, it’s terrible.

My ex had my American bulldog we paid £500 12 years ago for her.

over a year ago

rescues dogs every time and always tend to get a dog or 2 that wrongly gets a bad name for its self breed wise because of idiots who misunderstand them or think they look hard holding the lead me and hubs have owned many of the bully breeds from puppies to senior dogs in there last few months but everyone rescued

i think there are still to many breeders in this country and every dog owner should be made to have a dog license (money going to dog shelters and more wardens) and i also think maybe a paper test on dog laws as most dont know them

far to many have dogs without doing there home work ..

yes a friend has forked out £5000 for 2 welsh collie x poodles last summer

over a year ago

"Both mine were rescued…..

English bulldog and a frenchie.

I would never pay thousands for a dog, it’s terrible.

My ex had my American bulldog we paid £500 12 years ago for her. "

American bulldog fantastic breed such a loyal loving dog ... another getting a bad name loads in the rspca because the owners didnt understand them ..beautiful dogs

over a year ago

I've an American akita she was £750 2 yrs ago, can't get an akita puppy for much less than £1700 now

over a year ago

"Rescued staffie £100 I wish people would stop spending stupid amounts of money on so called designer dogs and help by adopting a rescue dog cheers mark "

100% ...cant beat a staffy for a pet

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Our spaniel puppies will be £500 each next year they have been booked for 2 years for when our family timing is right

Rspca and other charitys are having lots of lockdown dogs handed into them now that people are going back to work, so the puppy prices will fall down again and so should the thefts as the demand drops dramatically

By *urls and DressesWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near here

Nothing, a friend needed her rehoming because she was going to get eventually get hurt by her other dogs. I’ve had her a year now and she’s simply perfect.

I think part of the problem is it’s quite difficult to rescue dogs. I’ve looked for ages but refused because I have young children, cats and my garden isn't secure (I have a huge garden, I could section it off if needed). I hear this a lot from parent friends, probably part the reason why puppy prices are sky high.

over a year ago

"I will get a rescue dog next time from our local cat and dog home. I can not understand people who pay silly money for a pet."

You paid over £1200!

over a year ago

Always had cross-breeds which all were fantastic workers and all rescues! Current terrier was from the gypsies and one of the best working terriers I've ever had!

over a year ago

I paid £2500 for my French Bulldog puppy nearly a year ago.

The reason why I paid so much is having to seek out and do my research to find the perfect example of the bulldog breed.

So many puppies that I viewed prior to buying my dog now had clearly all been bred for the money side of it and not the dogs health.

Some were very runt like,unhealthy,poor body shapes, not muscular like they should be, had the wrong type of face shape, the list went on......

So after a lot of research and higher cost, i have a fully dna and genetics tested bloodlines and 10 year generations French Bulldog that has full history of no defects within those previous 10 years breeding history of previous pups.

He is twice the size of most standard French Bulldogs, very strong and muscular with the perfect face shape,body shape and weighs a lot already, with the correct colourings.

Any vet that has seen him for check up's is amazed as to the quality he shows as a proper dog.

Unlike a lot of the designer ones walking around which cost double that price due to the greed of the breeders with all the fancy colours which is only down to poor breeding as they are not the correct colours for this Bulldog breed I wouldn't hesitate paying for proven quality again.

Previously I paid £450 for my chocolate Labrador who got to 14 years old. And my Boxer dog £550 who reached 11 years old.

over a year ago

Glasgowish

"I will get a rescue dog next time from our local cat and dog home. I can not understand people who pay silly money for a pet.

You paid over £1200! "

No I never it was my ex who paid that money not me.

over a year ago

I paid £1200 fir my pup. He’s 12 week old GSP and that’s cheap as I know the lady who shows the dogs in competition... they are going for stupid money upto £3000

But she’s a breeder who doesn’t believe that current prices should be anymore than they were pre Covid

over a year ago

Our lab was £450 as a pup, apparently their up to £2000 each for a lab pup now

over a year ago

Glasgowish

"I will get a rescue dog next time from our local cat and dog home. I can not understand people who pay silly money for a pet.

You paid over £1200!

No I never it was my ex who paid that money not me. "

But the point I was trying to make was how the cost of puppies has rocketed over the last couple of years and I am unsure why.

over a year ago

Paid £700 for my boxer about 5 years ago.

Some dogs at the moment are going for silly money. Especially anything that's "on trend" get a dog because you want a dog and can care for it. Not because your neighbour/friend has one that's soooooo cute.

over a year ago

You paid over £1200!

But the point I was trying to make was how the cost of puppies has rocketed over the last couple of years and I am unsure why. "

Covid has driven the price up! Well the lockdown frenzy if people wanting pups

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I think my dad's was £400. She wasn't from a breeder though. It was an accidental litter from two family pets!

over a year ago

We had Simba, our staffy for free. His previous owners couldn't cope with him and he was caged 8hrs a day. Now he's been with us nearly two years and has free reign on th housem

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Two rescue collies, donation to the charity of 180 ..

Part of the current problem with the vile filth who are stealing dogs is because greed combined with naivety/entitled wannabe owners in the first lockdown drove the prices to stupid levels..

When anything has that monetary worth attached it becomes its own market, cycle needs resetting but people 'must' have the latest design..

That what used to be called bitzers or 57s/mongrels in effect have been branded the latest fashion hasn't helped..

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

"I will get a rescue dog next time from our local cat and dog home. I can not understand people who pay silly money for a pet."

No offence but you paid 650 for what was known as a mongrel. A cockapoo is mixed breed so a mongrel

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

We paid £12.50 for our Shih Tzu, it was from a rescue centre.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I really enjoy the fun and the company of dogs.

People who pay large amounts of money for dogs , to may way of thinking, shouldn't have one.

Designer dog owners have those to enhance their own status, feed their own ego , have something nice to look at. They'd be kinder buying a handbag.

I'm not talking buying a specific breed. I'm talking about the breeds that can't breathe like pugs, or walk because of short legs like British bulldogs, or whose backs break because of an elongated spine on short legs like dacshunds and sore weepy eyes like dogs with folds in the skin cos people find it 'cute'......

If you seriously care for dogs don't buy into the breeding. Get down to a rescue centre and get yourself a cross breed something or other that needs a home and that you learn to love because it's a dog.

Even £650 is extortionately high for a pup.

If a bitch in our street got pregnant the owner couldn't wait to GIVE the pups to good homes. No one would buy them. Times change.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"We paid £12.50 for our Shih Tzu, it was from a rescue centre."

over a year ago

Glasgowish

No offence but you paid 650 for what was known as a mongrel. A cockapoo is mixed breed so a mongrel"

As I said it was not me that paid for it. Cockerpoos are fantastic dogs. They have rocketed in price too.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

No offence but you paid 650 for what was known as a mongrel. A cockapoo is mixed breed so a mongrel"

All dogs are mongrels but the cockapoo is now a recognised breed in it's own right.

over a year ago

Paid nothing for our Springer spaniel, we rehomed him from the local game keeper as he didn't quite make the cut on shoots

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

"Paid nothing for our Springer spaniel, we rehomed him from the local game keeper as he didn't quite make the cut on shoots"

Our Springer is a rescue. Best girl I ever had

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

My dearly departed Prince cost nothing.

I literally rescued him from a cardboard box where he and his siblings were dumped by travellers

And he was the most loyal loving Pooch ever

over a year ago

You paid over £1200!

But the point I was trying to make was how the cost of puppies has rocketed over the last couple of years and I am unsure why. "

Because of covid, more people are working from home therefore able to have a dog.

Unfortunately I'm more concerned about what will have in the next five years, when returning to work, wanting to go away more etc.

Also hordes of professional dogs walkers, quite often with a loose pack of dogs ...

By *AABMan
over a year ago

Not far

Our lurcher is a rescued drug dealer’s dog. He’s utterly adorable and runs around like he’s still on something. We’ve had him 4 years. Would never buy a dog when there’s so many need rescuing.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

£100 donation fee for my rescue sprocker spaniel and £450 for my lab x

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

I can fully understand paying good money for a working dog but forking out for a living status symbol?

I rescued a scruffy, unwanted dog over 30 years ago who just happened to be a 'cockerpoo' and now they are a breed.

All those dogs living in kennels and eventually being euthanised because somebody wants to waste money.

over a year ago

I never got a rescue dog as we didn't qualify to rehome one.

Apparently having a home,private garden,time,effort money to feed and care for one doesn't matter when you have children in the home that at the time were under 10 years of age so they automatically dismissed us several times at numerous rehoming centres.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/05/21 08:17:39]

over a year ago

Sadly the high prices for people’s desire to have designer dogs has led to more crime and the mistreatment of these animals

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I really enjoy the fun and the company of dogs.

People who pay large amounts of money for dogs , to may way of thinking, shouldn't have one.

Designer dog owners have those to enhance their own status, feed their own ego , have something nice to look at. They'd be kinder buying a handbag.

I'm not talking buying a specific breed. I'm talking about the breeds that can't breathe like pugs, or walk because of short legs like British bulldogs, or whose backs break because of an elongated spine on short legs like dacshunds and sore weepy eyes like dogs with folds in the skin cos people find it 'cute'......

If you seriously care for dogs don't buy into the breeding. Get down to a rescue centre and get yourself a cross breed something or other that needs a home and that you learn to love because it's a dog.

Even £650 is extortionately high for a pup.

If a bitch in our street got pregnant the owner couldn't wait to GIVE the pups to good homes. No one would buy them. Times change.

"

Our first dog when we were kids was due to our neighbours bitch getting out in season and four families homed all but one of the pups..

By *ustBoWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

The most I ever paid was 200 euro for a dog. But most of mine have been rescues in one form or another.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"I never got a rescue dog as we didn't qualify to rehome one.

Apparently having a home,private garden,time,effort money to feed and care for one doesn't matter when you have children in the home that at the time were under 10 years of age so they automatically dismissed us several times at numerous rehoming centres.

"

That sounds a bit of a draconian ruling

over a year ago

This ^

So many lovely cats and dogs etc out there in rescue homes waiting to be re-homed.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

That sounds a bit of a draconian ruling "

It's true though. There are so many hoops to jump through when trying to re home a dog. In the end my friend went to one of the Romanian re homing charities.

over a year ago

That sounds a bit of a draconian ruling "

It is but is the standard rule now which is why so many dogs from rescue homes end up back in them again when people can't be arsed with them.

And there is families out there happy to keep the dogs for life and can't have one.

over a year ago

Shih Tzu, he's 3 now. We got him at 8 weeks and ?paid £550 for him

£3000 is crazy money for a dog!

Her x

By *elethWoman
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Mongrel rescue animals only, so whatever the rescue fees are. I won't support the breeding of animals for specific traits or financial gain, both cause animal welfare to plummet. The amount of accidental health issues we've bred into animals in the name of fashion is horrendous, and as for puppy farms...

over a year ago

I payed 1200 3 yrs ago for my cockapoo and wanted another but like 2500-3000 now ffs

By *imon_hydeMan
over a year ago

Stockport

Both of mine are rescues from the same charity, I paid about £100 for each of them and they came fully vaccinated and spayed. They are lovely, gentle dogs and I would recommend greyhounds to everyone.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Mongrel rescue animals only, so whatever the rescue fees are. I won't support the breeding of animals for specific traits or financial gain, both cause animal welfare to plummet. The amount of accidental health issues we've bred into animals in the name of fashion is horrendous, and as for puppy farms... "

There are some registered breeders that do actually care for the health of the animals. Yes of course they do make money from them, but they don't churn out litter after litter.

There are breeders out there that are actually trying to breed healthier bulldogs, and return pugs to their more Puggle like origins. And they all make sure to breed to avoid the passing on of health issues.

Show breeders and backyard breeders/puppy farms are the issue for sure. And the people that pay them for potentially very extremely unhealthy dogs that are removed from their mother and litter mates far too soon.

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

Mine's a rescue pure breed Bullmastiff who was found as a stray, I made a £200 donation to the charity and paid for his neutering myself so they could keep the whole donation.

With regards to rescues having strict rehoming procedures, I volunteered for a rescue for years, and the rules are there with both the dogs and the prospective owners in mind. A lot of dogs that come in have had troubled pasts, and even if they haven't the sheer fact that they have been uprooted from the only life they've known so far and separated from their family can upset them and mean that their behaviour can be unpredictable for a while until they get settled. If they don't know with 100% certainty that the dog is used to being around kids, and that the kids are used to being around dogs and have been taught not to climb on them/pull their whiskers and tails etc. then they will usually decline to re-home. Add onto that the fact that people often lie when they hand them over to the rescues, and people often lie when they're looking to re-home. The people that do the dog and home assessments are usually volunteers, and the last thing anyone wants is to see a dog coming back into rescue because it wasn't homed with the right people and having it's life turned upside down again.

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

Other than hamsters & pony, i have never paid for pets. I taking in rescues or would get them in the 'free to good home' ads.

My last dog was a collie/spaniel aka spollie :b daft as a brush, needed told 3 times, but was brill with kids & most animals(not keen on other dogs funny enough but she'd just keep her distance)

No health issues till the chemicals from attacking pressure washers in her younger days caused cancer in her mouth.

Main annoyance - anything that skushed like airlines, pressure washers, psst noises would send her loopy & she'd start trying to herd things, mainly the unimpressed cats & she'd got a sore nose for the cheek.

Miss that stupid idiot

over a year ago

Just want to say well done to u all for getting stray dogs and giving them a new lease of life. My friend got a huskey from dog trust and she is lovely. I had a lab for 15yrs she was brill.

My cockapoo is lovey to but crazy and a cockablocker too.

over a year ago

I have a little rescue terrier from Eastern Europe. She is the sweetest dog imaginable and my constant companion and I will have had her 2 years next week.

I saw her via a short video when she was rescued. I fell in love with her straight away and donated to pay for her vets fees, inoculations, sterilisation and passport and then her transport to me in France.

It cost me about £350 and we still donate a little each month to the rescue to help other dogs find their forever homes.

over a year ago

Glasgowish

"I have a little rescue terrier from Eastern Europe. She is the sweetest dog imaginable and my constant companion and I will have had her 2 years next week.

I saw her via a short video when she was rescued. I fell in love with her straight away and donated to pay for her vets fees, inoculations, sterilisation and passport and then her transport to me in France.

It cost me about £350 and we still donate a little each month to the rescue to help other dogs find their forever homes."

That is lovely. My friend helps at a dog rescue centre in Turkey and has rescued quite a few dogs and found them homes over here.

By *.R.MMan
over a year ago

Norfolk

I saw recently cockapoo’s £3200

By *urchoicenowCouple
over a year ago

Ashford

Our lab had pups last year. When it came to advertising ( only 2 went through advert, others to people we knew) we inflated the price to put off non genuine people and the people that had them paid the price, no quibbles. Luckily we got good homes for all of them and get frequent updates as to how they're doing.

over a year ago

I paid about £1800 for my cockapoo around this time last year.

yes, its more than normal - but the family who had the mum were great and made sure all the puppy owners were legit (we're all over the country but have a facebook group and are planning on meeting up later in the year), I got all the paperwork etc, and she had a great start to life there.

its a lot of money, but when I look at the companionship / happiness she brings, as well as getting me through the whole covid situation, she is absolutely priceless

over a year ago

"I have a little rescue terrier from Eastern Europe. She is the sweetest dog imaginable and my constant companion and I will have had her 2 years next week.

It cost me about £350 and we still donate a little each month to the rescue to help other dogs find their forever homes.

That is lovely. My friend helps at a dog rescue centre in Turkey and has rescued quite a few dogs and found them homes over here."

Yes the best dog breed is “rescue”. Unfortunately many countries around the world have a different view of pets than we do in the U.K. My Poppy came from North Macedonia which used to be part of Yugoslavia. Many there just dump dogs if they can’t be bothered, they need vet care or get pregnant. Once out on the street dogs fight to survive - they can be subject to cruelty - tails cut off, internal injuries from poles inserted, dog fighting let alone starving. In Skopje where Poppy came from the Mayor gets rid of stray dogs in the summer by paying for them to be shot or given poisoned meat and then they are dumped with the rubbish - just because he doesn’t want to scare off tourists. Animal cruelty is not considered a crime there.

over a year ago

Our Chihuahua cost nothing as she was from a litter my sister's pooch had. Our Pug cost £800 4years ago , their going for up to £5000 now. We recently lost our Westy and thought of Getting another one but crazy money

By *AABMan
over a year ago

Not far

"Both of mine are rescues from the same charity, I paid about £100 for each of them and they came fully vaccinated and spayed. They are lovely, gentle dogs and I would recommend greyhounds to everyone."

I love greyhounds but worry about having one that was previously raced. I understand that they don’t have recall so are generally not let off the leads for a run which is sad. We have a lurcher and I love watching him run.

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

It amuses me the people willing to pay thousands of what we would have called a "crossbreed" back in the day.

I'm sure they make lovely pets but they are actually still really mongrels...with good marketing

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"Paid nothing for our Springer spaniel, we rehomed him from the local game keeper as he didn't quite make the cut on shoots"

We got two border collies like this, not at the same time from a farm. Both were amazing dogs, one lasted till she 21 years old.

over a year ago

Money in dogs at the moment is so high because of thief’s unfortunately, so many dogs being nicked

By *J coupleCouple
over a year ago

stone

£60 for our cross breed Staffy/Boxer from the dog’s home.

We don’t give him a trendy ‘breed’ name such as they do with cross Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mongrels. He’s a mongrel just like the £3000 trendy ones.

By *not123Couple
over a year ago

sp1

Border collie 15 yrs ago £120

Still got the old boy

over a year ago

My lab was £350 and he was so perfect.

My cousin has just sold a lilac French bulldog to someone in the USA for £12,000.

By *olymalelincsMan
over a year ago

nr southend

I have 4 staffies that cost me nothing as the mother was a rescue who was pregnant when we got her, me and my ex kept 2 of the pups and my mum who I now live with as a carer had the mother and another of the pups

Post new Message to Thread