Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

your Highlights of the Olympic Games

Jump to newest

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

there have been highlight articles in most of the uk newspapers today and I was thinking of mine.... some stories you make have heard off.. some may have slipped past you

for the purpose of this I split it into 5 UK... and 5 international highlight...

UK... in no particular order...

1) "super saturday"... when the hosts in track and field won 3 golds in the space of 45 minutes... Jess Ennis in the Heptathlon, Greg Rutherford in the Long Jump, Mo Farah in the 10K

2) Gemma Gibbons winning Silver in the Judo, but after her semi final sudden death victory, she burst into tears, looked up to the heavens and mouthed the words "I love you mum" (mum has passed away eight years earlier)

3) Ladies Boxing Finals afternoon... the Excel was turned from "London central" roaring Nicola Adams home to win her gold medal.... into "Dublin central" roaring Ireland's Katie Taylor home to win her gold medal

4) Kath Grainger finally winning her rowing gold after getting silver in the last 3 games..... a nation was willing her on to victory.......

5) the GB teams getting a very unexpected gold and silver in the mens doubles canoe slalom... just for the celebrations....

honerable mentions... andy murray's demolition of roger federer in the tennis final... Brad wiggins time trial win.... the golden oldie show jumpers

and the ones involving international athletes...

1) David Rudisha breaking the mens 800m track and field world record... it was amazing and unfortunately gets overlooked because of usain bolt winning the 200m later that evening....

2) Grenada's Kuyani James going up to South Africa's Oscar Pistorius after their 400m semi final and exchanging name bibs with him... just a little thing but spoke tons about the warmth for him and the humble man James is (as a sidenote... Michael Johnson thinks James is the man who will finally break his 400m world record)

3) The Mens individual High Bar final in the Gymnastic.... the entire competition is amazing to watch..... the dutchman who won it, Epke Zonderland, should be a superstar....

4) the US vs Italy mens team archery final... it had everything.... drama, the US clawing back a margin, and the Italian archer having to get a 10 on the last arrow to win it and did....

5) have to have a michael phelps moment... but this one for me sums up the olympics...nd its not him winning, it was when he came 2nd to chad le clos and then showed chad exactly what to do in the medal ceremony, chad looked bewildered and michael showed a human side and a touch of class.......

honourable mention... the closest finish of the games in the womens triathlon......robert harting's gold medal discuss celebration

and a special section for the Volunteers... I was lucky enough to go to a couple of events... and they were brilliant, happy, smiley

I now have 2 new favourite sports to watch... handball and water polo...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

So many Fabio so so many......Nicola Adams...such a beautiful lovely girl.

Mo Farah..twice...he envokes such emotion...im not sure why .....i think hes fabulous....

Too many to actually list.....ive been so emotional over the last two weeks, shouting at the tv..even when i have been on my own.....I will watch bits n pieces again but this time il try not to cry

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

I hardly watched any of it

The bits I saw happened to be the men's pummel horse and all the equestrian bits.

Having to hold my breath for the equestrian bits took it out of me.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Had to be Chris Hoy embracing with Steve Redgrave. Or the Usain Bolt/Mo Farah impressions. Showed great respect realising whose stage he was competing on. A lot more favourite things as well but there's too many to list!

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Considering two weeks ago, I had no idea who Mo Farrer was (if you'da asked me I'da guessed at the barkeep from the Simpsons).....on Saturday both my cats were sat beside me and when Mo crossed the line I screamed, jumped up off the settee and screamed again as my gammy hip gave way and I fell on my arse.....I've cried more in the last 2 weeks than the last 2 years and I don't do sports......go figure eh????

over a year ago

The Ugandan in the marathon for me stole it.

By *n need of helpCouple
over a year ago

hull

the end .

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"the end ."
it was a terrific closing ceremony

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Lots and lots. Right now, I am really enjoying the images the Beeb play with Emeli Sande singing Imagine. It seems to have the images I want to remember of the sporty bits.

The non sporty bits were also good but last night two things stuck. The first was the young volunteer telling the story of Usain Bolt giving him his hat. Then Mo Farah taking the bowler hat with a light on from another volunteer at the Closing Ceremony.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Mo Farah's face as he crossed the line in the 10,000 final....

Jessica Ennis crying on the podium....

The guy climbing out of the British boat and collapsing with exhaustion after his gallant efforts....

The proud South African father inter_iewed after his son won his swimming gold....

over a year ago

As ops states too many to mention, i give a shout out to most of the comentary team, they had it so wrong regards camera footage of the road race, soon to be ammended once track n field had their turn and the jewel in crown for me is Michael Johnson,im an an avid follower of Athletics,well most sports. Mr Johnson cool under the lights and knows his subject inside out. top addition to the BBC pundits. And has been for a good few years, Legend/veteran.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Gemma Gibbons

Mo Farah

Katherine Grainger

Jessica Ennis

The Opening Ceremony

The athletes entering the stadium to Elbow at the closing

over a year ago

The Women's 4x100 Final. A stunning performance from Knight and Jeter on the last two legs breaking the world record as well. For some reason they barely get mentioned in the top moments of the games

By *kmale421Man
over a year ago

wirral

Laura Trott, her post race inter_iews with her team mates and by herself after she won Gold twice.

The Opening Ceremony

The Closing Ceremony

Jess Ennis

Kath Grainger

Honorable mention to Greg Rutherford who almost got ignored on Super Saturday and also to Mark Cavendish who despite the obvious disappointment of not getting a medal went on to support and applaud all his team mates.

International

Usain Bolt & The Beast

The USA 100m Womens Relay Team

The 800m winner

The 16 year old Chinese swimmer with the jet ski on her feet, later disgracefully questioned about drugs by an American coach.

The Lithuanian 16 year old girl swimmer who lives and trains in Plymouth

And the American girl who unfortunately left Rebecca Adlington in her wake

over a year ago

Mo Farrah in the 10k and 5k.. far more exciting than the short sprint finals.

Women's Beach Volleyball ... has a brand new fan now!

Victoria Pendleton... I've never really been captivated by a sportsperson before but when she took to the track I was glued to it. She really knows that sport inside out and knows how to win, and she was the sexiest babe of the games for me. Cycling will miss her.

The 15y/o female swimmer Ledecky who simply refused to accept that she shouldn't have been leading at her young age and beat Adlington fair and square.

..but the one thing that really stands out about these games for me is the crowd, they roared regardless of who was competing or whether that person was British or not.

over a year ago

bradley without doubt britains current top sports man

bolt for being bolt

jeters face as she blasted across the finish line

over a year ago

"bradley without doubt britains current top sports man

bolt for being bolt

jeters face as she blasted across the finish line"

Bradley was just outstanding but the others did the UK proud too.

By *edangel_2013Woman
over a year ago

southend

The German discus player running the women's hurdles after winning Gold, then going out to celebrate and losing his pass to get back into the Village, and having to sleep on a park bench.

The man dropping 196k on his neck after a failed snatch and lift attempt.

The man dislocating his elbow after a failed attempt at lifting 136k. Then the slow motion replay of it.

Watching my first and probably last medal ceremony live, especially as Britain won bronze.

Walking the park at 6.30am before it opened to the public, and various athletes jogging past me.

For me the highlights are a little different, but highlights none the less!

over a year ago

can imagine dropping nearly 200kg.

i dealifted 200kg once,that was bloody hard enough,let alone getting above your head

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Well as i slept through the closing ceremony ive had to watch bits on utube. I just want to say right to the very end it was pure professionalizm, including gary barlow appearing with take that.

By *abloBackMan
over a year ago

London

"The German discus player running the women's hurdles after winning Gold, then going out to celebrate and losing his pass to get back into the Village, and having to sleep on a park bench.

The man dropping 196k on his neck after a failed snatch and lift attempt.

The man dislocating his elbow after a failed attempt at lifting 136k. Then the slow motion replay of it.

Watching my first and probably last medal ceremony live, especially as Britain won bronze.

Walking the park at 6.30am before it opened to the public, and various athletes jogging past me.

For me the highlights are a little different, but highlights none the less! "

You had a unique _iew of events, well done!

over a year ago

For me the Highlight of the Olympic games is that they are over. I'm very distressed that the politicians seem to think that they will get a return on their (our taxes)investment, by calculating how much future revenue they will receive from the facilities, I look at their figures and know that its all pie in the sky. You can't bank on what might happen and these jokers actually are banking on the what ifs of an uncertain future and it scares the hell out of me. All I know is that it will prolong the recession for at least another 3 years. So what ever the great and the beautiful that came out of the Olympics the socio eco/political situation is so sour it just stinks up the whole two week wonder.

By *abloBackMan
over a year ago

London

So all the thousands of people that were employed in all the various Olympic projects didn't earn a penny and didn't spend that hard earned cash in the British economy

With the kick on effect in the local economies where they lived

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"For me the Highlight of the Olympic games is that they are over. I'm very distressed that the politicians seem to think that they will get a return on their (our taxes)investment, by calculating how much future revenue they will receive from the facilities, I look at their figures and know that its all pie in the sky. You can't bank on what might happen and these jokers actually are banking on the what ifs of an uncertain future and it scares the hell out of me. All I know is that it will prolong the recession for at least another 3 years. So what ever the great and the beautiful that came out of the Olympics the socio eco/political situation is so sour it just stinks up the whole two week wonder. "

Bet your a right bundle of fun at parties

over a year ago

I don't discuss Politics, Religion or work at a Party. But seriously do you know any one, who was not involved in some way or another, that has actually benefited from the Olympics. Are you better off? has your trade improved, are your profits higher, are you employing more people, expanding the business, looking to offset your increased taxes? I don't think so! Most of the workers on the staging of the shows at the Olympics were volunteers (unpaid workers), Most of the ticket sales so far have hardly covered the cost of the stage settings, and given that the lighting and light effects were a gift from America, Do you really think that there will be a KICK on effect to the local economy. IT was a two week wonder.

over a year ago

We will be paying this off for years to come. The best part of the olympics for me was the end, but well done to all the athletes who took part, medals or not. I watched part of the opening ceremony (switched off as soon as Mr.Bean came on), and maybe 5 minutes in total of the actual events.

over a year ago

"We will be paying this off for years to come. The best part of the olympics for me was the end, but well done to all the athletes who took part, medals or not. I watched part of the opening ceremony (switched off as soon as Mr.Bean came on), and maybe 5 minutes in total of the actual events."

in a thread asking for your highlights of the olympics,why did you click on it?

you cant even have a highlight if you didnt watch it

what makes you think we want to know you didnt have a highlight?

over a year ago

"We will be paying this off for years to come. The best part of the olympics for me was the end, but well done to all the athletes who took part, medals or not. I watched part of the opening ceremony (switched off as soon as Mr.Bean came on), and maybe 5 minutes in total of the actual events.

in a thread asking for your highlights of the olympics,why did you click on it?

you cant even have a highlight if you didnt watch it

what makes you think we want to know you didnt have a highlight?

"

Wow, that was totally unnecessary. My highlight, just to spell it out for you, was the end of the games, which is surely part of the whole thing.

Did someone steal your lunch?

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"For me the Highlight of the Olympic games is that they are over. I'm very distressed that the politicians seem to think that they will get a return on their (our taxes)investment, by calculating how much future revenue they will receive from the facilities, I look at their figures and know that its all pie in the sky. You can't bank on what might happen and these jokers actually are banking on the what ifs of an uncertain future and it scares the hell out of me. All I know is that it will prolong the recession for at least another 3 years. So what ever the great and the beautiful that came out of the Olympics the socio eco/political situation is so sour it just stinks up the whole two week wonder. "

The discussion on this is on another Olympic thread. Might I be so bold as to suggest the place to make your points and responses is that thread?

over a year ago

no one stole my lunch

the thread is obviously posted by someone who enjoyed the olympics

you must have thought 'heres a place for me to get a reaction'

you went through the trouble of clicking it just to say you didnt enjoy it.

and you say im the misserable one?

over a year ago

Sorry Fabio, I hijacked the post to vent my suppressed anger at how much I get taxed. I did enjoy quite a bit of the Olympics, albeit not by choice. I have an increased respect for the long distance athletes as the amount of dedication, mental reserve and sheer determination to achieve the seemingly impossible, long after most peoples muscles, would have shrivelled and dried, was awesome! The triathlon events were gruelling for the competitors. Compared to that the 100m was just a walk in the park for a fitness fanatic with the right build. It was entertaining to watch Bolt win.

over a year ago

Jeez and they are sayin its an open forum to say what you want and when you want within the rules.....tsk tsk....

By *eakcoupleCouple
over a year ago

peak district

Being out of the country throughout the whole circus and missing everything. Doesn't get any better than that!

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Oh jesus let's not spoil another thread, sometimes I think people just like to do it for the hell of it and then it gets carried on with other people commenting on what can be said or not

By *annGentMan
over a year ago

With a cracking _iew

"Grenada's Kuyani James going up to South Africa's Oscar Pistorius after their 400m semi final and exchanging name bibs with him... just a little thing but spoke tons about the warmth for him and the humble man James is "

over a year ago

2 disparate images stick in my head. The south Korean fencer who sat on the piste with her head in her hands for an hour after losing and Carmelita Jeter pointing to the clock a split second before the US broke the womens 4x400 relay. Her face was a picture

over a year ago

ive got the jeter pic as my screen saver.superb image,can see 4 years of pain and training in her face,also helps her been a fine speciman of the ultimate looking athlete

over a year ago

oops 4x100

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Jessica Ennis. her face as she went through the finish line of the 800m was a picture.

over a year ago

Two for me. One was Perky (Yes, herself!) on the edge of her seat watching the Womens Cycling Roadrace (the last hour and a quarter of it!) and her launching herself into the air when our girl came in 2nd (Perky has NEVER been into sport...... ).

But the most memorable moment was one which went relatively unnoticed until someone mentioned it on LBC, the Monday after Super Saturday.

Within 46 mins, three people representing the Britain we all know today, won gold. They were:- a mixed race girl from Sheffield, a ginger-haired 'white' guy from Milton Keynes who nearly gave up the Long Jump at the age of 16 as he'd got bored with it but came back to 'give it another go', and a 29yr old who fled Somalia at the age of 8, speaking almost no English, came here to start a new and SAFER life, and repaid us by winning two of the most prestigious gold medals in track and field.

Such a contrast to the medal winners in 1948 - and such a statement about Britain in 2012...

Shows how far we have come...

By *amslam1000Man
over a year ago

willenhall

my best bit was the brit winning the shotgun being inter_iewed on live tv just seeing his dad not giving a toss about the 2000milion watching and going for the hug

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"my best bit was the brit winning the shotgun being inter_iewed on live tv just seeing his dad not giving a toss about the 2000milion watching and going for the hug "

With no funding from our sports bodies

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"my best bit was the brit winning the shotgun being inter_iewed on live tv just seeing his dad not giving a toss about the 2000milion watching and going for the hug

With no funding from our sports bodies"

I don't think he wanted for money though.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"my best bit was the brit winning the shotgun being inter_iewed on live tv just seeing his dad not giving a toss about the 2000milion watching and going for the hug

With no funding from our sports bodies

I don't think he wanted for money though. "

He was funded up to two years ago and was going to have to stop circuit shooting as just a farmers son(nothing wrong with that). It took Arab princes help. Shame we do not support our sports.

Post new Message to Thread