By *ustforfun49 OP   Man
over a year ago

chesterfield

What do you guys think of protein shakes are they any good or a waist of money

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

You can make your own smoothies the way you like them and add powdered protein. That's the way I'd go.

By *oungalpha20Man
over a year ago

North West /Cumbria

Protein shakes I find to be a complete waste of time and money.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Depends what your goal is.

Protein shakes were originally for mass, for when it was impossible for a person to consume more food than they were so it was a way to get extra protein in (for a clean bulk).

By *b793Man
over a year ago

Yeovil

Pretty sure it all depends on body mass and how much you should/can eat. Your body can only process so much protein and if you eat enough through your regular meals it makes them almost pointless. I think some people drink them during a workout for an energy/carb boost but again not really worth it if you eat enough protein in your normal meals

By *oungalpha20Man
over a year ago

North West /Cumbria

What is it you're wanting to accomplish op?

By *ustforfun49 OP   Man
over a year ago

chesterfield

"Depends what your goal is.

Protein shakes were originally for mass, for when it was impossible for a person to consume more food than they were so it was a way to get extra protein in (for a clean bulk).

"

I want to build muscle I've been working out for a bit now but not gaining a lot of muscle.

By *ustforfun49 OP   Man
over a year ago

chesterfield

"What is it you're wanting to accomplish op?"

To gain muscle

By *oungalpha20Man
over a year ago

North West /Cumbria

Whats your diet like op?

By *ustforfun49 OP   Man
over a year ago

chesterfield

"Whats your diet like op? "

I eat plenty of veg rice and chicken.

over a year ago

"What do you guys think of protein shakes are they any good or a waist of money "

Yeah look everyone will have there own opinion my opinion is there full of sugar try have them before 2clock if you are going to drink them then just get your protein from your food !!

But look wat works for me might not for you everyone has the own routine

over a year ago

"Whats your diet like op?

I eat plenty of veg rice and chicken. "

By *oungalpha20Man
over a year ago

North West /Cumbria

On average how many calories do you intake on a daily basis?

over a year ago

I want to build muscle I've been working out for a bit now but not gaining a lot of muscle. "

How long is a bit? Takes time. You could add protein shakes to your diet but they’re not likely to increase muscle alone. Diet mainly keeps you lean and strips fat. Weight training will add muscle.

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"What do you guys think of protein shakes are they any good or a waist of money

Yeah look everyone will have there own opinion my opinion is there full of sugar try have them before 2clock if you are going to drink them then just get your protein from your food !!

But look wat works for me might not for you everyone has the own routine "

What works for you

By *oungalpha20Man
over a year ago

North West /Cumbria

A good diet and good sleep. Train about 4 times a week. Slow progress but its progress

over a year ago

"On average how many calories do you intake on a daily basis? "
I don’t count calories I watch my diet counting calories would drive me crazy ! I try get the gym twice a day I eat my carbs in the morning or let’s say a shake cause besides the gym your working them off just by been active ! Then meals later in the day more veg chicken ! Turkey you don’t need to watch everything just a good balanced diet

By *ustforfun49 OP   Man
over a year ago

chesterfield

"On average how many calories do you intake on a daily basis? "

I'm not sure on this

over a year ago

"A good diet and good sleep. Train about 4 times a week. Slow progress but its progress"

Now you have it mate ! Slow progress is still great progress mate

By *ustforfun49 OP   Man
over a year ago

chesterfield

I want to build muscle I've been working out for a bit now but not gaining a lot of muscle.

How long is a bit? Takes time. You could add protein shakes to your diet but they’re not likely to increase muscle alone. Diet mainly keeps you lean and strips fat. Weight training will add muscle. "

Around 2 months now.

over a year ago

"On average how many calories do you intake on a daily basis?

I'm not sure on this "

Mate each to there own i go by results as I said everyone has there way of doing things I’m not saying this is the right way it’s just my way and I’m only barely touching on how I train

By *ustforfun49 OP   Man
over a year ago

chesterfield

"A good diet and good sleep. Train about 4 times a week. Slow progress but its progress"

Ok will drinking plenty of water help to

By *oungalpha20Man
over a year ago

North West /Cumbria

Only asking about calories because of clean bulk or dirty bulk. I had to do a dirty bulk because I struggled to gain weight. If you've got a bit of structure clean bulk is better. Don't need as many calories

By *oungalpha20Man
over a year ago

North West /Cumbria

"A good diet and good sleep. Train about 4 times a week. Slow progress but its progress

Ok will drinking plenty of water help to "

Your body always needs to stay hydrated

over a year ago

"A good diet and good sleep. Train about 4 times a week. Slow progress but its progress

Your body always needs to stay hydrated "

I see ! I don’t like to be huge I train and eat to be lean I don’t want big muscles I like the ripped look !

You should always drink water regardless of training mate I don’t drink anything else !

Besides alcohol and I do drink shakes in the morning

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

I see ! I don’t like to be huge I train and eat to be lean I don’t want big muscles I like the ripped look !

You should always drink water regardless of training mate I don’t drink anything else !

Besides alcohol and I do drink shakes in the morning "

I know

By *lueEyesEnigmaMan
over a year ago

Dublin

Sleep, good rest is vital your body needs to recover

over a year ago

I know "

Look yeah I had few that night !? Things got out of hand insults thrown on my part !

Seriously tho it was 3am i obviously didn’t mean I was genuinely gonna dig up your front garden !

I would of gassed out after 5 mins anyway !

That was 2 days ago think it’s time to move on no ?

By *asmeenTV/TS
over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

I know

Look yeah I had few that night !? Things got out of hand insults thrown on my part !

Seriously tho it was 3am i obviously didn’t mean I was genuinely gonna dig up your front garden !

"

What are you on about???

over a year ago

They helped me alot.i needed to gain weight been super skinny all my life. I hated it. Gave me energy I put myself on a 4000 calories a day diet now I am normal.

over a year ago

I know

What are you on about???"

Kidding as always ! You should know this

over a year ago

Bcaa and 4 liters off milk the way to go

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

They’re a high protein meal. Think of it as such

over a year ago

Like most things. Used in the correct way they are a useful tool. You can make your own and they taste a lot nicer than powder. As purely a top up when you need to be consuming a minimum amount of protein for bulking. For normal training they aren’t a major factor unless you like them. Your body can only absorb so much of it anyway.

J

By *asycouple1971Couple
over a year ago

midlands

I take protein shakes, once after gym and 1 before bed.

Tend to work out early morning on an empty stomach so the shake I have after my work out acts as my breakfast.

Seems to work for me but each to their own.

Depends what you are after.

I am pretty sure protein shakes work but remember its only a supplement or booster to your food.

over a year ago

I find them good but only if you get the right one . ESP when you won’t get home for a bit . I like to work out and I Do a big session so I need something quick and easy . Some like them so don’t bother . Depends what u want to do . Bulk or trim down . Or calories or less calories etc

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I find it interesting people saying “you can only absorb so much” in this thread which is only true in some ways.

The science says that once we reach a certain amount of protein more won’t induce more hypertrophy. This is usually cited at around 0.8g per lb of lean mass.

However anecdotally people have seen better results from more. My buddy is a bodybuilding coach and recommends 1.2-1.4g per lb of body weight (not lean mass).

On top of that, just because you hit the upper ceiling of protein doesn’t mean you “can’t absorb it”. Excess protein can be used for energy and it can be converted into body fat.

The best thing about excess protein is it’s ability to reduce appetite. It’s the most filling macro.

On top of that protein requires an extra step to convert it into energy. This extra step wastes energy, meaning you actually burning extra calories just by using it

Post new Message to Thread