Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Wills

Jump to newest

By *yron69 OP   Man
over a year ago

Fareham

I’m signing my will today to ensure wife gets everything. How many of you haven’t done one yet?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I signed signed my first in 94 19, and off to NI

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

Good point.

Roughly how expensive and difficult is it to sort one?

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

First thing I done when I moved into my home. £10,000 left to the local dog and cat home and the rest gets halved between my 2 children.

By *iggyStarjumpsMan
over a year ago

Stockport

This is something I need to sort out. I'm single with no kids so there seems less motivation to do it. How difficult/expensive is it to do?

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

"This is something I need to sort out. I'm single with no kids so there seems less motivation to do it. How difficult/expensive is it to do? "

Some lawyers do it for free.

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"This is something I need to sort out. I'm single with no kids so there seems less motivation to do it. How difficult/expensive is it to do?

Some lawyers do it for free."

Thankyou, I shall enquire

over a year ago

Mine was simple.im divorced and left my estate between my children, grandchildren and sisters family.

That's my house, savings and pensions.

£400.

By *urls and DressesWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near here

Done mine, very easy split between my children.

By *eyondhornyMan
over a year ago

Abercynon-ish

Mtn Lewis website has some good advice on this as some wills are more legally sturdy than others. There are some good free options through Cancer charities etc where you can donate or bequest rather than paying a solicitor.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

"This is something I need to sort out. I'm single with no kids so there seems less motivation to do it. How difficult/expensive is it to do? "

Doesn't cost a penny. If your financial situation is fairly straightforward, and you have a clear idea of your wishes, it shouldn't need to be longer than a page or two. There are a few specific phrases that should be used at opening and closing, and it has to be unambiguous in intention. Apart from that it's really just a case of making sure that it is signed and witnessed properly to ensure its legality.

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

I've never married, not had kids, and thus don't see the point in spending possibly several hundred pounds to produce a piece of paper that effectively says "toy mother I leave my classic car and toy father I leave my mortgage payments"....

But strangely I was talking to my brother and sister-in-law about this yesterday. They produced wills using a kit from WH Smith's, which granted need updating now that they've got kids, and they gave me a sheet of paper out of it so that I can jot at least something down. It might now be fully legally binding but it's a starting point if nothing else

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Ours is up to date and stored at the solicitors office. Both our kids know which one although they've probably forgotten. One thing we did was to ensure they were both mentioned by leaving them small, specific personal items. It's surprising how comforting people find it to be named specifically and how upsetting they find it not to be.

I know where my parent's will is and where they keep a copy.

There's enough trouble when someone does it there is a will, God knows what it's like it there's not.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

"This is something I need to sort out. I'm single with no kids so there seems less motivation to do it. How difficult/expensive is it to do?

Doesn't cost a penny. If your financial situation is fairly straightforward, and you have a clear idea of your wishes, it shouldn't need to be longer than a page or two. There are a few specific phrases that should be used at opening and closing, and it has to be unambiguous in intention. Apart from that it's really just a case of making sure that it is signed and witnessed properly to ensure its legality."

No solicitor is needed, unless you wish to do anything complicated like setting up trust funds. A couple of gotchas:

If wishing to leave something to charity, set it as a fixed lump sum that is easily within the scope of the estate. Setting it as a proportion of the total can lead to the charity being legally obliged to require your executor to sell every last tiny item and give audited accounts. Cases have been known of wedding rings having to be removed from the body and sold.

It is unwise to set a solicitor to be your executor, as it becomes a licence to print money for them. It is not unusual for a solicitor to end up taking 20% or more of the estate in their costs. Unless there is absolutely no alternative, your executor should be a trusted relative or friend, somebody that you are absolutely certain will follow your wishes.

If there is any member of your family you wish to exclude (we don't all have perfect relationships with our parents/siblings/children) it is not sufficient to just leave them out. They must be specifically named and a reason stated for excluding them, otherwise they may be able to challenge the omission.

By *iggyStarjumpsMan
over a year ago

Stockport

Thanks for all the replies, lots of good ideas and seems easier than I thought. At thr moment I'm most like to leave my estate to charity so I'll look into that

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Thanks for all the replies, lots of good ideas and seems easier than I thought. At thr moment I'm most like to leave my estate to charity so I'll look into that"

Many charities offer a free will making service at certain times of the year.

By *iggyStarjumpsMan
over a year ago

Stockport

"If there is any member of your family you wish to exclude (we don't all have perfect relationships with our parents/siblings/children) it is not sufficient to just leave them out. They must be specifically named and a reason stated for excluding them, otherwise they may be able to challenge the omission."

haha, this is exactly my situation! My Mum told me I should get a will specifically to exclude one of my siblings. Good to know

over a year ago

My partner died,he hadn't written a will. When a asked him about us writing wills he said it would be ok because his mom would make sure I would be ok. I'll just say that I'm glad that when we bought the house I made sure it was in joint names.

over a year ago

"Thanks for all the replies, lots of good ideas and seems easier than I thought. At thr moment I'm most like to leave my estate to charity so I'll look into that"

I'm leaving my estate to charity. I got in touch with them about it first. They are also the executors.

By *nfin8yWoman
over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

I’m just updating mine as the people

Named have changed address.

over a year ago

I've fuck all to leave anyone

Seriously tho, whatever I have will go to an dog shelter.

They can chuck me in a skip and light it up

Lu

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

"I've fuck all to leave anyone

Lu "

I'm very tempted to leave specific instructions that my carcass is to be left to medical science - it can always be a god example of a bad example - and forbid any kind of funeral / memorial service

I hate long goodbyes at the best of times, and there won't be that many people who'll miss me that much anyway so I can save folks a few quid on that one

over a year ago

"Good point.

Roughly how expensive and difficult is it to sort one?"

You can do one quickly online with 10 Minute Wills - about £20.

They ask a series of questions so easy to do. I did with my Dad after my Mum died and he needed a new will and it was all accepted for Probate after he died a few years later.

If your financial affairs are not too complicated you don’t need an expensive solicitor.

over a year ago

Had one for yours, probably due a review as the kids are older now.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

I have a basic one but it serves its purpose, cost me nothing. One day I might have to redo it

over a year ago

Lu

I'm very tempted to leave specific instructions that my carcass is to be left to medical science - it can always be a god example of a bad example - and forbid any kind of funeral / memorial service

I hate long goodbyes at the best of times, and there won't be that many people who'll miss me that much anyway so I can save folks a few quid on that one "

Have you thought about leaving it to that BodyWorlds bloke?

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Me. I have nothing to leave.

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

We have one. All business assets to be sold and the proceeds split evenly between all 3 children. All personal assets to be split the same way.

They aren't expensive to do, everyone should have one.

By *lbinoGorillaMan
over a year ago

Redditch

Lu

I hate long goodbyes at the best of times, and there won't be that many people who'll miss me that much anyway so I can save folks a few quid on that one

Have you thought about leaving it to that BodyWorlds bloke? "

I hadn't, to be fair, but in all honesty it can go to whoever will have the damn thing - I shan't be using it by then and so it doesn't really matter where it goes

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

It’s more than who gets your stuff. Arrangements for kids if you both die in a car crash or are a single parent, funeral arrangements even. There’s a while bunch of thighs to decide, If you don't someone has to for you and it’s not easy

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

I need to do this. But to be honest with one child who is now an adult everything will go to him anyway

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

"I’m signing my will today to ensure wife gets everything. How many of you haven’t done one yet?"

Have a living will so do once change as many times as needed.

over a year ago

i dont have a will, but i have completed a form at work that details all the beneficiaries and percentages of things like my pension and death in service

i guess if i don’t get round to the will they would probably apply the same percentage across my house as the only thing to go on

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

Scary. I’m actually sorting my estate out this week.

over a year ago

I've got fuck all so they're welcome to fight over it when I'm gone

Missy

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

I'm single with 2 teenagers and own my home. I've had a will for the last 13 years since I got divorced. It's been updated since. Just think it helps sort shit when I'm done. I didn't pay for it either.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Good point.

Roughly how expensive and difficult is it to sort one?"

Some charities enable you to do them free or for nominal donations. Check it out online, but only do it with a recognised charity and the solicitors they work with.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"i dont have a will, but i have completed a form at work that details all the beneficiaries and percentages of things like my pension and death in service

i guess if i don’t get round to the will they would probably apply the same percentage across my house as the only thing to go on "

I don't think that happens. Have a Google on intestacy

By *JB1954Man
over a year ago

Reading

Due to being married twice??. I have again as moving going to have to update my will. So will have to take advice. So no one can claim against previos ones.

over a year ago

North West

"i dont have a will, but i have completed a form at work that details all the beneficiaries and percentages of things like my pension and death in service

i guess if i don’t get round to the will they would probably apply the same percentage across my house as the only thing to go on "

No, they wouldn't and even the work forms could probably be contested by your legal next of kin under intestacy, if they are not the beneficiary. Have a squizz at the intestacy rules and the legal order of next of kin. Definitely get a Will written if you have any sort of asset to leave and you care who gets it.

over a year ago

i guess if i don’t get round to the will they would probably apply the same percentage across my house as the only thing to go on

No, they wouldn't and even the work forms could probably be contested by your legal next of kin under intestacy, if they are not the beneficiary. Have a squizz at the intestacy rules and the legal order of next of kin. Definitely get a Will written if you have any sort of asset to leave and you care who gets it. "

i don’t have a next of kin - no partner , no kids

its only my siblings on my work benefits so nobody else left really to contest it

over a year ago

No, they wouldn't and even the work forms could probably be contested by your legal next of kin under intestacy, if they are not the beneficiary. Have a squizz at the intestacy rules and the legal order of next of kin. Definitely get a Will written if you have any sort of asset to leave and you care who gets it.

its only my siblings on my work benefits so nobody else left really to contest it "

i will get round to the will one day though

over a year ago

North West

its only my siblings on my work benefits so nobody else left really to contest it "

If you have any living parents, they would be first to inherit under intestacy. The siblings would get nothing unless both parents are dead. It doesn't matter if you've been estranged from one parent since you were a toddler, for example, so long as one parent lives, they would be a sole beneficiary.

You'd be surprised how, if siblings were the next of kin, they might fight over what's there. Definitely make a Will, you can do it for free or low cost for charity donation.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Having witnessed how people behave when there is a will even if there's 'only' a house I highly recommend making one.

over a year ago

Always choose your executor/s carefully and make sure they want to do it. It can be an onerous task. If your will is not held by a solicitor or bank, make sure you keep it somewhere that your executors will be able to find it. In the same place, keep details of all investments etc. Trying to track them down otherwise can be very difficult. There are services that do this, but these can be expensive and are not always 100%.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

I have, but I now have to change it because my wife currently gets everything.

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

This has prompted me to think and I now have gone to moneysavingexpert.com I found a link to a simple will and have partially completed it.

I intend to have it completed and witnessed in the next week or two.

I don't really have many possessions so it is a very clear and uncomplicated situation.

over a year ago

North West

"This has prompted me to think and I now have gone to moneysavingexpert.com I found a link to a simple will and have partially completed it.

I don't really have many possessions so it is a very clear and uncomplicated situation."

Don't forget bank accounts, savings accounts, car, investments, pensions, as well as the more obvious house etc. Actual possessions (chattels) are actually least important generally and most standard Wills allow the Executors to "dispose of as they see fit".

over a year ago

I have nothing to leave.

I own very little.

I am 31 though and intend on livong to 100 so plenty of time yet

over a year ago

"I have nothing to leave.

I own very little.

I am 31 though and intend on livong to 100 so plenty of time yet "

Living*

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

No they probably won't. What will happen is a shitload of arguments with everyone saying they are the one that really knows what you wanted. When my mother died there was a huge pile of shit hit the fan because both my siblings "knew" that she had left instructions, that were nowhere to be found. Dad knew that there had been a will that was a mirror to his (them leaving everything to each other) that had vanished, but then there was also a handwritten non legally binding carbon copy of a note saying something different. And my siblings accusing me of hiding/destroying a newer still will that I had never heard of, but they were utterly certain had been written and would give them more. Ultimately I managed to track down a solicitor that _had_ drawn up a new will for her, a house move and several hundred miles away, that did have the original in their safe, and did release it to me - but only when i paid them money! In the end quite gratifying that the new super duper will that my siblings had screamed so much about actually gave them less than if there had been no will... But the family fall out was immense, siblings have not seen or spoken with my dad or me since the day that mum died, and all because everyone _assumed_ that there was a will and that everyone knew where it was and what it would say...

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

"This has prompted me to think and I now have gone to moneysavingexpert.com I found a link to a simple will and have partially completed it.

I don't really have many possessions so it is a very clear and uncomplicated situation.

Don't forget bank accounts, savings accounts, car, investments, pensions, as well as the more obvious house etc. Actual possessions (chattels) are actually least important generally and most standard Wills allow the Executors to "dispose of as they see fit". "

Thank you, I don't have lots of items but I listed my share of the house including furniture fittings possessions and and electrical equipment.

Plus whatever I have available at the time in my bank and any potential savings.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Also, anybody thinking about wills should also think about lasting power of attorney - it's a kind of living will that gives somebody authority to deal with your finances and/or medical matters if you become incapacitated (physically or mentally) while still alive. It sounds morbid, but is incredibly important. I have a relative who is suffering from dementia, who didn't do any of this. And by the time that we realised how bad she was, and that she needed care, it was impossible to access any of her resources in order to get her that care. She had saved for a rainy day, got plenty in the bank, the rainy day was now - but everything was frozen because she was deemed incapable, but no-one had any authority to do anything on her behalf. It wasn't even possible to pay her electric bill - the electric company could not legally accept payment from anybody else, but she could not write a cheque to pay anything herself.

Ultimately resolved after about two years by going to court, throwing money at solicitors, accountants, court ordered supervisors etc. Just to get her some dignity in old age, that she had saved for, but slipped through the cracks of the legal system because she was alive, incapable, and with no immediately empowered person to authorise the spending of her own money for her benefit.

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Thank you, I will add that in as well

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Also, anybody thinking about wills should also think about lasting power of attorney - it's a kind of living will that gives somebody authority to deal with your finances and/or medical matters if you become incapacitated (physically or mentally) while still alive. It sounds morbid, but is incredibly important. I have a relative who is suffering from dementia, who didn't do any of this. And by the time that we realised how bad she was, and that she needed care, it was impossible to access any of her resources in order to get her that care. She had saved for a rainy day, got plenty in the bank, the rainy day was now - but everything was frozen because she was deemed incapable, but no-one had any authority to do anything on her behalf. It wasn't even possible to pay her electric bill - the electric company could not legally accept payment from anybody else, but she could not write a cheque to pay anything herself.

Ultimately resolved after about two years by going to court, throwing money at solicitors, accountants, court ordered supervisors etc. Just to get her some dignity in old age, that she had saved for, but slipped through the cracks of the legal system because she was alive, incapable, and with no immediately empowered person to authorise the spending of her own money for her benefit."

It's awful isn't it. The problem is that while people are capable of making their own decisions they often won't agree to lpa

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Martin Lewis recommended a site called freewills.co.uk.

it only took me about 10 minutes and now I just need to print it off and have two people witness my signature. Thank you to the op starting this post, it's something I've been meaning to get around to doing, and now apart from the signatures, it's done.

(Mine is very simple, and I don't have much to leave but all the same that is a box ticked in the to-do list of life)

By *yron69 OP   Man
over a year ago

Fareham

I done my will and paid for it. With probate a badly written will could cause lots of issues or not be recognised. If you have something worth leaving and you care I’d strongly advise one written by a solicitor.

over a year ago

"I done my will and paid for it. With probate a badly written will could cause lots of issues or not be recognised. If you have something worth leaving and you care I’d strongly advise one written by a solicitor."

I used an online one to help my Dad and it was accepted for probate after he died.

over a year ago

North West

I own very little.

I am 31 though and intend on livong to 100 so plenty of time yet "

If you have children, I'd strongly recommend making a Will. You can dictate who should care for your children in the event you die before they reach 18. Ultimately, any of us could die at any time, however morbid that is to consider.

over a year ago

I own very little.

If you have children, I'd strongly recommend making a Will. You can dictate who should care for your children in the event you die before they reach 18. Ultimately, any of us could die at any time, however morbid that is to consider."

For other reasons, that is a no brainer and their dad.

I wouldn't need that in writing x

over a year ago

North West

I own very little.

If you have children, I'd strongly recommend making a Will. You can dictate who should care for your children in the event you die before they reach 18. Ultimately, any of us could die at any time, however morbid that is to consider.

I wouldn't need that in writing x"

Assuming he has parental responsibility, he would be the person, yes, but it's not always the case that both parents automatically have parental responsibility etc.

over a year ago

I own very little.

Assuming he has parental responsibility, he would be the person, yes, but it's not always the case that both parents automatically have parental responsibility etc. "

He is the main carer....so yes

By *kaPeterMan
over a year ago

Guildford

I have an adequate will with respect to my house, savings, investments, car etc, but . . .

I am wondering what to do about my collections of porn, paddles, canes, masks, pinwheels, ropes, chains, shackles, cuffs, spreader bars, etc!

over a year ago

North West

I own very little.

Assuming he has parental responsibility, he would be the person, yes, but it's not always the case that both parents automatically have parental responsibility etc.

He is the main carer....so yes "

My message was intended not only to refer to your specific circumstances, but to the general concept of planning for the care of children after the death of one or both parents. Mr KC and I have mirror Wills, which "leave" our underage children to my brother. If one of us dies, the other would automatically retain sole responsibility. It's more an issue of planning for the deaths of both parents, which could happen.

over a year ago

"I have an adequate will with respect to my house, savings, investments, car etc, but . . .

I am wondering what to do about my collections of porn, paddles, canes, masks, pinwheels, ropes, chains, shackles, cuffs, spreader bars, etc!"

im sure someone on here will volunteer to take them off your hands ... unless you mean you need someone trusted to dispose of them in which case yep i need one of those to empty my drawers too lol

By *inkyInkedBiWoman
over a year ago

My husband died aged 32 and hadn’t left an updated will. Being married anything he had came to me.

I know other widows who weren’t married and it’s been a very different situation for them.

Being the only parent left it’s a no brainer for me to have my will sorted.

I’d advise anyone to get it sorted no matter what your age. We don’t know what life can throw our way

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

Got this off tinternet,

Free Wills Month takes place every March and October. The locations for the next campaign will be available on 1 October 2021

From a g e uk

over a year ago

Done mine a few years ago

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

When my grand dad found out he was very ill he wrote out a little book for my mum & dad..it was called " going, going, gone "

He was a big reader of poetry and literature and the book was, not a story but little, messages, each one went through something that would need to be done and exactly how to do it. How to sort his stuff/estate, all his banking stuff/details and passwords, who needed to be notified and a list of family and numbers/addresses, a full comprehensive list of his " best books " most 1st editions and which place or named a person to get the prices lol even copies of the cars details and service history.. he covered everything. I guess he just wanted to make it all as easy as possible for not just my mum but my dad and us all too.

By *inkyfun2013Couple
over a year ago

lewisham

People don't realise how important a will is. Parents who share kids and / or have any property often presume that everything will go to their partner or kids but in fact it could go to their parents or siblings.

There is no such thing as a common-law spouse and it's shocking the problems and repercussions there are if you die intestate (no will). It can cause insurmountable problems for your loved ones.

A will is an absolute must for anybody who owns anything. It doesn't have to be a house, it can be as simple as a piece of jewellery or teaset.

Families can be ripped apart after the death of a loved-one, because quite frankly, if there's a sniff of money or property all niceties go out of the window and it's survival of the fittest. I've seen family members literally having a punch-up at the funeral about who owned a pair of earrings.

The worst case scenario is that everything goes to the Government.

A will doesn't cost much and is quite easy to prepare, but it MUST be done properly or is worthless.

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

My will and funeral have been sorted for the past few years x

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

If anyone is in a union - check to see if you can get one drawn up through them. I know Unison offer it - great for basic wills not sure about anything complex

J x

over a year ago

"When my grand dad found out he was very ill he wrote out a little book for my mum & dad..it was called " going, going, gone "

He was a big reader of poetry and literature and the book was, not a story but little, messages, each one went through something that would need to be done and exactly how to do it. How to sort his stuff/estate, all his banking stuff/details and passwords, who needed to be notified and a list of family and numbers/addresses, a full comprehensive list of his " best books " most 1st editions and which place or named a person to get the prices lol even copies of the cars details and service history.. he covered everything. I guess he just wanted to make it all as easy as possible for not just my mum but my dad and us all too. "

How lovely - I expect it gave him something to do that made him feel useful. He was of the generation that men expected to take responsibility for planning those sort of things.

When my Mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer she rang to tell me the awful news. I went down the next day because I needed to give her a hug and my Parents asked me to be their executor. We went through everything and my Dad showed me where all his documents were. The next few years were very sad and stressful when they both died but it was an honour to help them.

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

"When my grand dad found out he was very ill he wrote out a little book for my mum & dad..it was called " going, going, gone "

He was a big reader of poetry and literature and the book was, not a story but little, messages, each one went through something that would need to be done and exactly how to do it. How to sort his stuff/estate, all his banking stuff/details and passwords, who needed to be notified and a list of family and numbers/addresses, a full comprehensive list of his " best books " most 1st editions and which place or named a person to get the prices lol even copies of the cars details and service history.. he covered everything. I guess he just wanted to make it all as easy as possible for not just my mum but my dad and us all too.

How lovely - I expect it gave him something to do that made him feel useful. He was of the generation that men expected to take responsibility for planning those sort of things.

When my Mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer she rang to tell me the awful news. I went down the next day because I needed to give her a hug and my Parents asked me to be their executor. We went through everything and my Dad showed me where all his documents were. The next few years were very sad and stressful when they both died but it was an honour to help them."

Its not the easiest thing to do but just making it as easy as possible for the people you leave.

over a year ago

When my Mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer she rang to tell me the awful news. I went down the next day because I needed to give her a hug and my Parents asked me to be their executor. We went through everything and my Dad showed me where all his documents were. The next few years were very sad and stressful when they both died but it was an honour to help them.

Its not the easiest thing to do but just making it as easy as possible for the people you leave. "

Yes - my brother was killed in a motor bike accident at 29 and that was awful as he was a separated from his wife and had 2 young children.

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

Its not the easiest thing to do but just making it as easy as possible for the people you leave.

Yes - my brother was killed in a motor bike accident at 29 and that was awful as he was a separated from his wife and had 2 young children. "

Thats heartbreaking x

Post new Message to Thread