Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Aphantasia

Jump to newest

By *illy_the_tv OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

hoorn, Netherlands

I'm curious, does anyone else have it? I wasn't aware I had it until a few years ago but whenever I explain it to people they either can't wrap their minds around it or don't believe me. Have you had similar experiences?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Here I am, here I am, how do you do.

I'm a weirdo one tho, who can smell pictures and photos.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"Here I am, here I am, how do you do.

"

Ps, it was you that told me my inability to actually visualise had a name

over a year ago

hoorn, Netherlands

"Here I am, here I am, how do you do.

"

Thats synesthesia which is a pretty cool ability to have, there's a girl on twitter that can taste names and she tells people what their names taste like.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My ex has it. He literally cannot picture anything in his mind. He says his thoughts are in words or sounds, but never images. He has a really gross sense of humour and regularly has me reaching for the brain bleach. I think he's able to say disgusting things because he doesn't have to suffer the involuntary visuals that the rest of us do!

over a year ago

hoorn, Netherlands

"My ex has it. He literally cannot picture anything in his mind. He says his thoughts are in words or sounds, but never images. He has a really gross sense of humour and regularly has me reaching for the brain bleach. I think he's able to say disgusting things because he doesn't have to suffer the involuntary visuals that the rest of us do!"

Apparently one of the few benefits is that people with aphantasia aren't ad affected by traumatic events because they can't re-visualise them in their heads

over a year ago

"My ex has it. He literally cannot picture anything in his mind. He says his thoughts are in words or sounds, but never images. He has a really gross sense of humour and regularly has me reaching for the brain bleach. I think he's able to say disgusting things because he doesn't have to suffer the involuntary visuals that the rest of us do!

Apparently one of the few benefits is that people with aphantasia aren't ad affected by traumatic events because they can't re-visualise them in their heads"

Oh wow, that's really interesting. I love learning about the workings of the brain.

over a year ago

It’s the opposite of Kopfkino, which is a German word meaning ‘head cinema’.

I just like to shoe horn that fact in where I can.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"My ex has it. He literally cannot picture anything in his mind. He says his thoughts are in words or sounds, but never images. He has a really gross sense of humour and regularly has me reaching for the brain bleach. I think he's able to say disgusting things because he doesn't have to suffer the involuntary visuals that the rest of us do!

Apparently one of the few benefits is that people with aphantasia aren't ad affected by traumatic events because they can't re-visualise them in their heads"

Holy shit. I dead to think how bad I'd be then if I could visualise. at the same time tho, I think it's harder because you can't retrain your brain to visualise a different experience of stuff. I dunno. A lot of the self help meditation, memory transformation and stuff has visualisation in it, and i just cannot do it. All I have is the emotion and memories of traumatic events which I suppose is better in one way but worse in the how to heal

over a year ago

hoorn, Netherlands

Apparently one of the few benefits is that people with aphantasia aren't ad affected by traumatic events because they can't re-visualise them in their heads

Holy shit. I dead to think how bad I'd be then if I could visualise. at the same time tho, I think it's harder because you can't retrain your brain to visualise a different experience of stuff. I dunno. A lot of the self help meditation, memory transformation and stuff has visualisation in it, and i just cannot do it. All I have is the emotion and memories of traumatic events which I suppose is better in one way but worse in the how to heal "

True enough, I imagine it varies from person to person. Yeah ive always thought it was irritating that so many things are about visualising like a sunny beach or something

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Holy shit. I dead to think how bad I'd be then if I could visualise. at the same time tho, I think it's harder because you can't retrain your brain to visualise a different experience of stuff. I dunno. A lot of the self help meditation, memory transformation and stuff has visualisation in it, and i just cannot do it. All I have is the emotion and memories of traumatic events which I suppose is better in one way but worse in the how to heal

True enough, I imagine it varies from person to person. Yeah ive always thought it was irritating that so many things are about visualising like a sunny beach or something "

Climbing stairs, a forest, a lake, the person you're trying to cut ties with etc etc etc. Nope, doesn't bloody happen, just blackness and my eyes twitching trying to find these things!

over a year ago

hoorn, Netherlands

True enough, I imagine it varies from person to person. Yeah ive always thought it was irritating that so many things are about visualising like a sunny beach or something

Climbing stairs, a forest, a lake, the person you're trying to cut ties with etc etc etc. Nope, doesn't bloody happen, just blackness and my eyes twitching trying to find these things!"

The most annoying thing for me is I'm constantly singing in my head or it's just non stop talking

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Climbing stairs, a forest, a lake, the person you're trying to cut ties with etc etc etc. Nope, doesn't bloody happen, just blackness and my eyes twitching trying to find these things!

The most annoying thing for me is I'm constantly singing in my head or it's just non stop talking "

Oh the brain wandering, and then I talk to myself saying stop wandering, listen, and even my mind voice will repeat what the person is saying like they can hear me.

Them: deep breath in

My head voice: deep breath, yep, doing that. What's next?

over a year ago

hoorn, Netherlands

The most annoying thing for me is I'm constantly singing in my head or it's just non stop talking

Oh the brain wandering, and then I talk to myself saying stop wandering, listen, and even my mind voice will repeat what the person is saying like they can hear me.

Them: deep breath in

My head voice: deep breath, yep, doing that. What's next?"

I'll sometines notice that whenever I'm talking to someone or watching something I'm just repeating their words in my head as they are saying them like it's an echo

Post new Message to Thread