Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Yorkshire 3 Peaks...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

...has anyone here done it?

looks like I'm doing it with a few others for charity later in the year... haven't got a clue what to expect. if you have done it,

- how much prep did you do in advance?

- genuinely on a scale of 1-10 how tough was it?

- any top tips?

TIA

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

Well done to you for signing up to do it

I haven't done it myself but may try it one day.

Let me know how you get on.

Mrs

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Is it fell running ?

over a year ago

"Is it fell running ? "

I think it'll be more of a hike (potter ) than running... its about 25 miles with a total climb similar to ben nevis, and takes anything from 10-13 hours on average.

over a year ago

"Well done to you for signing up to do it

Mrs"

ha thank you - if one day I just disappear off here never to be seen again you'll know I didn't make it

over a year ago

"Is it fell running ?

I think it'll be more of a hike (potter ) than running... its about 25 miles with a total climb similar to ben nevis, and takes anything from 10-13 hours on average."

Oh right, this is something I would like to do at some point.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I did it on my mountain bike years ago. It depends very much on the time if year/weather, how tough it is

C

By *nfin8yWoman
over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

"...has anyone here done it?

looks like I'm doing it with a few others for charity later in the year... haven't got a clue what to expect. if you have done it,

- how much prep did you do in advance?

- genuinely on a scale of 1-10 how tough was it?

- any top tips?

TIA "

Haven’t done the three peaks but I have done a couple of long distance charity treks. You may want to do some hillwalking for training and just build the mileage gradually. I have good walking boots (broken in beforehand)- decent waterproof jacket and layers on case it’s cold. I use a platypus for water and take a hat and gloves just in case plus

Compeed for blisters.

Good luck and enjoy it. I made some great friends on mine.

By *rAitchMan
over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

I did it when I was 13 or 14. Me and my dad were members of a walking club. I remember there was thick snow on the peaks and we finished within the 12-hour challenge time limit. Just.

We didn't specifically train for it, but we regularly walked 30 miles in one go. The furthest walk was the 42-mile Lyke Wake Walk, which took me 13.5 hours.

over a year ago

Did the Welsh 3000 a couple of years ago a lot of preparation required 24 peaks in 24 hrs was absolutely knackered a lot of endurance work will help

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I done it with no prep...well when I say no prep, I was fit from going to the gym quite a lot, but no actual hiking beforehand.

It took me just over 9 hours...it was quite snowy on top of the peak...Whernside had zero visibility and I nearly missed the trig point!

The walk from Ingleborough is the longest walk ever...5 miles felt like 50!

Take plenty of sugary snacks!

I got back to the car and I couldn’t bend my legs to get back in the car!

But it’s a brilliant feeling when you complete it....good luck!

K

over a year ago

thanks everyone... some sound advice. I've got just under 4 months to train so can start getting some miles in early doors.

one question though - what is a water platypus?

By *otsonewMan
over a year ago

All over North and Scotland

I did it about 5 years ago. Best advice I can offer is spend time on your feet and walk up a few hills before. Eat plenty on the day. It's tough but a really nice walk if the weather is decent

over a year ago

I really want to do this soon ??

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

Mrs

ha thank you - if one day I just disappear off here never to be seen again you'll know I didn't make it "

I'll round up a few swingers as a search party

By *urls and DressesWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near here

I haven’t done the Yorkshire 3 peaks, I would love to, only climbed Ingleborough. Was a good gentle stroll up, bit of a scramble at one point. Low visibility at the top though.

I’ve done the the National 3 peaks, wasn’t aiming for the 24 hours, but that was tough (in a heatwave, even in Scotland, after suffering with heatstroke the week before in malham). I needed to train more for that. To be fair though, I prefer the slower pace and take in the views and meet the sheep

over a year ago

"I did it about 5 years ago. Best advice I can offer is spend time on your feet and walk up a few hills before. Eat plenty on the day. It's tough but a really nice walk if the weather is decent"

I'm hopeful for the weather... its planned for mid september so could be nice without being boiling.

over a year ago

Mrs

ha thank you - if one day I just disappear off here never to be seen again you'll know I didn't make it

I'll round up a few swingers as a search party "

does that offer stand for my practise walks too? if so I'm setting off in 5 minutes

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Used to go out with the ramblers a few years back. At the time I was training for marathons and regularly raced 10k - half marathons. So decided that a ramblers ‘A walk’ shouldn’t be too much trouble with a bunch of old farts.

My arrogance was severely tested that day as we peaked Snowdon, then these old farts said we had enough time (to get back to the coach) to do at least one more peak. I’d say we walked for a good 8 hours with a couple of 10 minute breaks and I certainly saw another peak.

I’ve never done the Yorkshire three peaks, done Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike each once and several times to the top of Snowdon but it’s not easy and wouldn’t fancy doing your challenge unless I’d trained for it

over a year ago

Would love to do it, not quite fit enough yet

over a year ago

"Used to go out with the ramblers a few years back. At the time I was training for marathons and regularly raced 10k - half marathons. So decided that a ramblers ‘A walk’ shouldn’t be too much trouble with a bunch of old farts.

My arrogance was severely tested that day as we peaked Snowdon, then these old farts said we had enough time (to get back to the coach) to do at least one more peak. I’d say we walked for a good 8 hours with a couple of 10 minute breaks and I certainly saw another peak.

I’ve never done the Yorkshire three peaks, done Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike each once and several times to the top of Snowdon but it’s not easy and wouldn’t fancy doing your challenge unless I’d trained for it

"

I get out and about with the pooch and easily do 10/12 miles on a saturday or sunday morning, but this is sounding like different gravy.

good boots, plenty of prep and plenty of sweets on the day seem the top tips so far

Post new Message to Thread