Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Freedom is a right, not a privilege.

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I saw this quote and I liked it, what do you think of it? Is it true? I would say that in most cases it is, very inspirational and a powerful quote

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

In today's COVID world it seems to be the opposite.

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

Optimus Prime vibes from that!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Unless you are a serial killer

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

How are we defining freedom here Shag?

By *etro1940sCouple
over a year ago

Kingston upon Thames

There are rights and responsibilities in any community - often acting in concert. We owe each other the respect and regard to promote freedom consistent with also preserving/protecting the vulnerable. Not an easy task and regardless of politics or ideology, we don't envy any politician, the NHS, the scientists or the Civil Service in making and implementing decisions.

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Freedom isn't a thing that is given to our rulers which they can then give to us as a gift.

A gift can be taken away.

We should be telling our rulers what to do. Not vice-versa

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"How are we defining freedom here Shag?"
I would say that you can almost do whatever you want within reason, for example, everyday activities, like going out, doing the shopping and so on, like compared to a dictatorship where ones freedom is restricted.

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Surely freedom is inherent in all of us. It is not a privilege that can be taken away.

We can delegate our freedom to a government. But they must hand it back to us at the next election when we elect our rulers.

People are always trying to steal our freedom for themselves. We have to guard our freedom

over a year ago

Depends on the type of freedom you're referring to I guess.

If linked to the government we are all (can't type the word as its not allowed) to the system and have to abide by laws. Though we are still free to break that... At a cost.

Freedoms outside of that I wouldnt call a priveldge or a right. They are automatically there whether anyone realises it or not.

We have the freedom to make choices in practically every area of our life until it comes under government ruling.

Anyone that takes your choices away takes your freedom. But they can only take it if you let them. It's not a right, it's something that exists and just IS regardless.

Saying it's a right suggests to me it's something that can be given to you by someone else, or something you have to take... But neither applies as it's yours from the start.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

"How are we defining freedom here Shag?I would say that you can almost do whatever you want within reason, for example, everyday activities, like going out, doing the shopping and so on, like compared to a dictatorship where ones freedom is restricted."

Even in dictatorships you can go about normal everyday activities, they still need to work and eat.

The freedoms that are restricted in dictatorships tend to be about criticising governments/leaders or where you fall into a political/social/ethnic group that is being persecuted.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has had her freedom taken from her

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Freedom exists, some people have more than others. Nobody has absolute freedom.

over a year ago

Freedom to do anything you want?

No.

It is not as simple as "freedom for everyone" or we would be in a lawless world.

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Freedom within the law is what matters.

Those laws to be made by people we can replace.

The laws to apply equally to everyone... including the government itself.

That discussion about our laws...what kind of society we have... should be free and open to everyone

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS
over a year ago

London&Dublin

Freedom must not be absolute.

There must be some limitations.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"In today's COVID world it seems to be the opposite."
Yes, it seems to be opposite with covid too.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"How are we defining freedom here Shag?I would say that you can almost do whatever you want within reason, for example, everyday activities, like going out, doing the shopping and so on, like compared to a dictatorship where ones freedom is restricted.

Even in dictatorships you can go about normal everyday activities, they still need to work and eat.

The freedoms that are restricted in dictatorships tend to be about criticising governments/leaders or where you fall into a political/social/ethnic group that is being persecuted."

I read an interesting thing about it of someone who is from such a regime and they wondered why they most of the time start by banning people from travelling?

over a year ago

With freedom comes responsibility.

When you behave in a manner that risks the safety of others it is right that your own freedom is curtailed for the safety of others.

However I'm not the person to ask under which circumstances freedoms should be removed. That is a minefield.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"How are we defining freedom here Shag?"

For that matter how are we defining a right and also a privelage.?

And are there any consequences or responsibilities with such absolute freedoms?

Am I free to crap in the high street?

Drive my car into a busy protest?

Set fire to the trees?

Walk naked at lunch times?

Call people offensive names?

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

Freedom means nothing without responsibilities. If you breach your responsibilities you can have your freedom taken away. There is a constant discussion about where one ends and the other begins.

over a year ago

depends which side of a prison cell your on

over a year ago

Sometimes I believe in Anarchy. But then who would collect the bins?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"How are we defining freedom here Shag?

Set fire to the trees?

Call people offensive names? "

I don't have the answers. I think freedom for most of us is a state of mind.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"How are we defining freedom here Shag?

Set fire to the trees?

Call people offensive names?

I don't have the answers. I think freedom for most of us is a state of mind."

I think its a negotiation with your community and society you choose to accept the benefits of living in. The notion of freedom... To me is an interesting existential type debate with no right answers at the end.

Whenever I hear this debate... That scene from life of Brian always pops into my head...

Don't you oppress me.... I want to have babies.

over a year ago

I think freedom is a privilege we have to constantly fight to keep. Its not something you can take for granted.

People big and small will always try to take your freedom from you, often while telling you they are fighting for your freedom.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I disagree. Especially if you look on a world stage.

We have freedom with responsibility, we have freedom ‘but’...

It’s nice to think of it as a right but the freedoms that we have were given to us by previous generations and by those in power and our personal freedoms are slowly being eroded from us. They can be taken away at any time.

We’re very lucky in living when we do, where we do, that is a privilege.

A nice sentiment but nothing more than a meme I’m afraid

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I disagree. Especially if you look on a world stage.

It’s nice to think of it as a right but the freedoms that we have were given to us by previous generations and by those in power and our personal freedoms are slowly being eroded from us. They can be taken away at any time.

"

What freedoms do you think are slowly being eroded from us? And what impact has it had on you / yours?

By *xhibitionisticvoyeurMan
over a year ago

wrexham

"Freedom to" or "freedom from"?

The two are very different.

For example if you have freedom from verbal abuse it would kurb my freedom to shout at strangers in the street.

The other argument is you are always free to do what you want but there is a price to pay.

You are free to Rob a bank but the price is a prison term.

Who's freedom and at what price?

P.S. I don't actually shout at strangers in the street.

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

What freedoms do you think are slowly being eroded from us? And what impact has it had on you / yours? "

Lots of people are losing their jobs/being jailed for expressing unapproved views

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Freedom is a right to those in power, it is a privilege to those who are not.

We all have freedom that is given (and can be taken away) by those with more power than us.

Is freedom a human only thing? Animals that are captive, or tortured, or slaughtered by those with more power (humans), is their freedom a right or a privilege?

When you discipline a child (by whatever means, that's not the debate I'm making) do you not have power over them to take away their freedoms as punishment?

We have the right to exist, within the boundaries of whatever our life situation presents us with. Nothing more, nothing less.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

What freedoms do you think are slowly being eroded from us? And what impact has it had on you / yours? "

Does it need to have a direct impact on me or mine in order to be pertinent?

Look at society as a whole. People aren’t free to express and learn from opinions. Old thoughts that were expressed in nativity are being used out of context to preclude jobs, advancement or careers.

People are being tried in the court of public opinion long before the judicial process.

Tech firms hold all of our information, where we are and who we’re with, cameras monitor us hourly...

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

What freedoms do you think are slowly being eroded from us? And what impact has it had on you / yours?

Lots of people are losing their jobs/being jailed for expressing unapproved views"

I haven't seen anyone losing a job or being jailed for expressing an unapproved view. Could you enlighten me with some of the examples?

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Look at society as a whole. People aren’t free to express and learn from opinions. Old thoughts that were expressed in nativity are being used out of context to preclude jobs, advancement or careers.

People are being tried in the court of public opinion long before the judicial process.

Tech firms hold all of our information, where we are and who we’re with, cameras monitor us hourly...

"

It's a good debate. So the fact that tech firms garner and hold our data... How does that impact upon anyone's freedoms? Or cause freedoms to be slowly eroded?

By *ilmissplumpyWoman
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"Freedom isn't a thing that is given to our rulers which they can then give to us as a gift.

We should be telling our rulers what to do. Not vice-versa"

But if we are giving the orders then surely we are the rulers?

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"How are we defining freedom here Shag?I would say that you can almost do whatever you want within reason, for example, everyday activities, like going out, doing the shopping and so on, like compared to a dictatorship where ones freedom is restricted.

The freedoms that are restricted in dictatorships tend to be about criticising governments/leaders or where you fall into a political/social/ethnic group that is being persecuted.I read an interesting thing about it of someone who is from such a regime and they wondered why they most of the time start by banning people from travelling?"

A good example was ddr of how they controlled their sitizens by not allowing them to visit their families on the other side and also how stasi had a mass surveillance operation.

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

"Freedom isn't a thing that is given to our rulers which they can then give to us as a gift.

But if we are giving the orders then surely we are the rulers? "

Yes, we are the rulers. Those powers are under threat and we are generally very careless in defending them

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Depending on circumstances a right can also be a privilege which can also be taken away but whether it's right

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

But if we are giving the orders then surely we are the rulers?

Yes, we are the rulers. Those powers are under threat and we are generally very careless in defending them"

I think we are careless in having even the most basic Understanding of them and our role and responsibility in a "free" society before we even get to appreciating, nurturing and defending them.

over a year ago

i would say all rights come with responsibilities , otherwise chances are you would infringe on someone else’s rights

i would also say people seem to mistake complying with responsibility as a loss of freedom

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

It's a good debate. So the fact that tech firms garner and hold our data... How does that impact upon anyone's freedoms? Or cause freedoms to be slowly eroded? "

I’m going to switch this around, how does being watched, tracked and traced not impinge on personal freedoms?

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"i would say all rights come with responsibilities , otherwise chances are you would infringe on someone else’s rights

i would also say people seem to mistake complying with responsibility as a loss of freedom "

I would say that it’s not a case of freedom, it’s that we’re more free than others.

Responsibility still prevents freedoms

By *drianukMan
over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Very true, Teamonkey

over a year ago

This seems appropriately linked especially with what’s taking place in today’s society. ““Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Benjamin Franklin.

By *ionelhutzMan
over a year ago

liverpool

I always find it a bit weird that people put their entire lives on facebook and then complain about privacy.

over a year ago

Freedom is in the mind, if you want to be radically free, look within. You won’t find freedom out there.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Whose freedom and under what circumstances?

If your freedom harms the freedom (or other fundamental rights) of another, should it be limited?

Do people have responsibilities towards the society from which their freedom arises?

"Ask not what your country can do for you: ask what you can do for your country"

By *uliaChrisCouple
over a year ago

westerham

"I saw this quote and I liked it, what do you think of it? Is it true? I would say that in most cases it is, very inspirational and a powerful quote "

Tbh

It's trite

Meaningless woke Liberal happy clappy nonsense

Harrumph

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

over a year ago

"I saw this quote and I liked it, what do you think of it? Is it true? I would say that in most cases it is, very inspirational and a powerful quote "

Oh yeah, it’s certainly up there with Live Laugh Love.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

It's a good debate. So the fact that tech firms garner and hold our data... How does that impact upon anyone's freedoms? Or cause freedoms to be slowly eroded?

I’m going to switch this around, how does being watched, tracked and traced not impinge on personal freedoms? "

You haven't answered my question there chap.

I think many people believe the hype that because we need for example a passport to control safe travel... Our freedom is being eroded. I don't believe it is... I believe it provides for my/our safety... That allows me further freedoms that I would not have if a terrorist as an example were on the plane.

The fact somebody monitors whta I buy and where does not detract from my freedom to purchase what I want and where or to eat what I want and where and with whom. It just leaves a footprint.... I say and so what?

Now would you please explain why you feel tech footprints inherently erode our freedoms.?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"i would say all rights come with responsibilities , otherwise chances are you would infringe on someone else’s rights

i would also say people seem to mistake complying with responsibility as a loss of freedom "

Agreed.

I think freedom is unattainable without the majority complying with responsibility to each other.

over a year ago

If you live within a civilised society, you accept it's rules and conventions, so you don't have total freedom, but the the bits you don't have, most people wouldn't want anyway. The definition of civilised is also subjective..

over a year ago

"How are we defining freedom here Shag?I would say that you can almost do whatever you want within reason, for example, everyday activities, like going out, doing the shopping and so on, like compared to a dictatorship where ones freedom is restricted."

It certainly has been on gun ownership, I think we need more freedom regarding that area.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

It certainly has been on gun ownership, I think we need more freedom regarding that area."

I rather enjoy my freedom from guns.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

It certainly has been on gun ownership, I think we need more freedom regarding that area.

I rather enjoy my freedom from guns."

Great example... So is that freedom a right or a privelage or neither....? Just a convention our society has agreed upon for the general good?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Great example... So is that freedom a right or a privelage or neither....? Just a convention our society has agreed upon for the general good? "

I think freedom is a moveable feast tbh. It'll depend on what you - or society - values and upholds.

I obviously don't think private gun ownership falls within the definition of freedom, although accept others do. I also think that freedom from communicable disease is more important than freedom to refuse vaccination.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Great example... So is that freedom a right or a privelage or neither....? Just a convention our society has agreed upon for the general good?

I think freedom is a moveable feast tbh. It'll depend on what you - or society - values and upholds.

I obviously don't think private gun ownership falls within the definition of freedom, although accept others do. I also think that freedom from communicable disease is more important than freedom to refuse vaccination."

Nice segue... Meanwhile on the other thread you can see repeats of "covid vaccine.. To be or not to be"

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I obviously don't think private gun ownership falls within the definition of freedom, although accept others do. I also think that freedom from communicable disease is more important than freedom to refuse vaccination.

Nice segue... Meanwhile on the other thread you can see repeats of "covid vaccine.. To be or not to be" "

I think it's the main "freedom" question of the moment. We're so free from these diseases that people forget how that came to be - we all, or mostly, stood up to protect each other. Or offered our arms. Lol

over a year ago

I suppose freedom is a privilege of sorts though, isn't it? Freedom is granted to those who use it to uphold the law, but is taken away from those who don't. Therefore it's always conditional. Perhaps freedom within the law is a better thing to say is a right.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Nice segue... Meanwhile on the other thread you can see repeats of "covid vaccine.. To be or not to be"

I think it's the main "freedom" question of the moment. We're so free from these diseases that people forget how that came to be - we all, or mostly, stood up to protect each other. Or offered our arms. Lol"

Like the Iran / contras

over a year ago

Others say freedom is an illusion

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Within reason ? Then we are not free.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I suppose freedom is a privilege of sorts though, isn't it? Freedom is granted to those who use it to uphold the law, but is taken away from those who don't. Therefore it's always conditional. Perhaps freedom within the law is a better thing to say is a right.

"

It's a great debate and worth proper thought. I think the issue some are having is that laws change... Therefore "freedoms" may change... Its a complex continuum and worthy of more than simply... "Wake up they are stealing your freedom".

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I suppose freedom is a privilege of sorts though, isn't it? Freedom is granted to those who use it to uphold the law, but is taken away from those who don't. Therefore it's always conditional. Perhaps freedom within the law is a better thing to say is a right.

It's a great debate and worth proper thought. I think the issue some are having is that laws change... Therefore "freedoms" may change... Its a complex continuum and worthy of more than simply... "Wake up they are stealing your freedom"."

It's an incredibly complex set of questions - what freedom is, who is free, how it might be limited, where it comes from, how it's upheld. And it's turned into soundbites

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS
over a year ago

Notts

its a cliche and a platitude.... open to a huge amount of interpretation...the sort of thing people write on kitchen walls lol

over a year ago

Nobody has really been free since borders became a thing.

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

Freedom is a human right that every human is born with regardless. Basically means that each individual can choose how to live their life according to their own values.

Be aware of confusing human rights & freedoms with common/criminal laws, they stand above both and are still relevant during punishment.

Most countries are run by the RULE OF LAW meaning that a person is free to live how they choose, social standards set the rules of law, a person is free to break them & if FOUND guilty by judge or peers (jury) consequences apply.

live & let live is ours in short.

Some countries who are dictatorships & likes of are RULED BY LAW meaning the authorities dictate what is punishable without the need to prove BEYOND reasonable doubt the persons guilt. They make laws without public consideration nor public interest, it removes the freedoms to choose how to live.

Atm we are on a very wobbly plate between democracy & dictatorship.

Freedom to choose IS priority, without it is segregrated, abusive, coercive, and forced societies.

over a year ago

Notts

no ones been free of gravity on this planet, oxygen is holding us hostage and greed has consumed many......

over a year ago

Notts

you are all prisoners to lust and jealousy.... laws cannot save you! You must kneel on the mountain of truth and masturbate your sins into dust.... i think thats what the bible says lol ok ive added a bit of poetic licence

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

"no ones been free of gravity on this planet, oxygen is holding us hostage and greed has consumed many...... "

Err gravity, oxygen & even birth & death are forces of nature, beyond human control. Manipulated, mitigated or copied by humans is different subject and not totally controllable, never was.

Greed is a choice, no one makes anyone greedy but self.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Nobody has really been free since borders became a thing. "

The book / coffee shop emporium?

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I rather enjoy my freedom from guns."

Then you are taking away someone else freedom to own guns, so where is the middle ground.

Like most things, you please everyone all the time.

over a year ago

Great example... So is that freedom a right or a privelage or neither....? Just a convention our society has agreed upon for the general good? "

I'm sure there is a court ruling that firearms ownership in the UK is a privilege, not a right. Although I'm struggling to find it right now..

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Then you are taking away someone else freedom to own guns, so where is the middle ground.

Like most things, you please everyone all the time."

I'm aware.

I don't think there's a right answer, only a series of compromises. We all need to work together to find solutions.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm sure there is a court ruling that firearms ownership in the UK is a privilege, not a right. Although I'm struggling to find it right now.."

Do courts define freedoms, or are they more fundamental/innate?

over a year ago

Notts

"no ones been free of gravity on this planet, oxygen is holding us hostage and greed has consumed many......

Err gravity, oxygen & even birth & death are forces of nature, beyond human control. Manipulated, mitigated or copied by humans is different subject and not totally controllable, never was.

Greed is a choice, no one makes anyone greedy but self."

So the op is only on about man made freedom? You know that?..... how very narrow minded, you are hostage to your limited vision.... can I free you? Or will your pride hold you prisoner.... ?

over a year ago

How about the incarnation we can impose on ourselves, trapped I'm our own thinking, which can be the worst type of incarnation, being trapped in self, and seeing a pattern if thinking that leads to other things, thete us levels to freedom...

Socially constructed freedoms, the freedoms, that working gives despite having responsibility with in that...

Freedom doesn't come free, then the age old questions are we ever truly free

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

Describe freedom,how do you define freedom?

Tp freedom is a very different thing towhat the protestors think.

To some freedom might be the right to kill if you want to,maybe beat up oap's the word freedom needs to be defined

over a year ago

Notts

"How about the incarnation we can impose on ourselves, trapped I'm our own thinking, which can be the worst type of incarnation, being trapped in self, and seeing a pattern if thinking that leads to other things, thete us levels to freedom...

Socially constructed freedoms, the freedoms, that working gives despite having responsibility with in that...

Freedom doesn't come free, then the age old questions are we ever truly free "

You've just blown so many minds lol

over a year ago

"How about the incarnation we can impose on ourselves, trapped I'm our own thinking, which can be the worst type of incarnation, being trapped in self, and seeing a pattern if thinking that leads to other things, thete us levels to freedom...

You've just blown so many minds lol"

Trapped in thinking lol.

over a year ago

With rights come obligations.

It easy to say we should be free to do what we want to do - like the song. However we live in societies whether they be a tribe in the Amazon or the modeen Western world.

Being part of a society brings benfits that being alone cannot provide eg in gathering and sharing food, mutual protection from other tribes etc. All societies have rules and provide rights but in return - also obligations to the society and its other members. Its a quid pro quo.

If we want the benefits of society - education, roads, hospitals police force we have have to give up some of our personal freedoms in paying taxes and obeying its rules.

over a year ago

Trapped in thinking lol."

I have thoughts, but I am not my thoughts, I have feelings but I am not my feelings, I have a body but I am not my body, I have a mind but I am not my mind, I have personhood but I am not a person. I am but I am not this or that. Our gilded cage is our illusion. A beautiful lie.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Trapped in thinking lol.

I have thoughts, but I am not my thoughts, I have feelings but I am not my feelings, I have a body but I am not my body, I have a mind but I am not my mind, I have personhood but I am not a person. I am but I am not this or that. Our gilded cage is our illusion. A beautiful lie. "

Sounds a bit woo woo to me

over a year ago

Trapped in thinking lol.

I have thoughts, but I am not my thoughts, I have feelings but I am not my feelings, I have a body but I am not my body, I have a mind but I am not my mind, I have personhood but I am not a person. I am but I am not this or that. Our gilded cage is our illusion. A beautiful lie.

Sounds a bit woo woo to me "

A simple thought experiment - a little nudge - to help us to see, wherever we are, we’re already free.

over a year ago

Trapped in thinking lol.

A simple thought experiment - a little nudge - to help us to see, wherever we are, we’re already free."

Explain true freedom to me then,

As I've been trapped, however I'm free from that, but still not truly free to do what I want to really do, as there are consequences to that. So am I free or constrained for the greater good

over a year ago

Trapped in thinking lol.

A simple thought experiment - a little nudge - to help us to see, wherever we are, we’re already free.

As I've been trapped, however I'm free from that, but still not truly free to do what I want to really do, as there are consequences to that. So am I free or constrained for the greater good "

Sartre would say we are always radically free, because we can choose to do or not to do. However we are not a human doing. We can choose to be present in the stillness of the eternal timeless now and witness whatever arises. When we simply are, we are free.

over a year ago

Trapped in thinking lol.

As I've been trapped, however I'm free from that, but still not truly free to do what I want to really do, as there are consequences to that. So am I free or constrained for the greater good

Sartre would say we are always radically free, because we can choose to do or not to do. However we are not a human doing. We can choose to be present in the stillness of the eternal timeless now and witness whatever arises. When we simply are, we are free. "

Very idealistic notion

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

Freedom is not an absolute right, the universe does not just give us freedom. We are all bound by some immutable laws - the laws of mathematics (for instance, it doesn't matter what any government might decree, the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle is 3.14159 etc, it is an irrational number regardless of whether people believe in irrational numbers), the laws of physics (for instance, the laws of particle physics apply, whether you believe in those particles or not), the laws of chemistry (I could call water anything I liked, but it would still be made up of hydrogen and oxygen).

We have free will, but free will has it's own built in limitations - in the words of Robert Wyatts "Free will and testament" - "Given free will but within certain limitations, I cannot will myself to limitless mutations, I cannot know what I would be if I were not me, .... I have my senses and my sense of having senses. Do I guide them? Or they me? ... Is there freedom to un-be? Is there freedom from will-to-be?".

Even in the limited sense of legal freedom, there is still no absolute right to freedom existing in a vacuum. We live within a society, and any freedom that we have is contingent upon taking the responsibilities that go with freedom, and extending the privilege of that freedom to others. If I have freedom of speech, it is only in a limited sense that is negotiated within society such that my freedom of speech cannot trump your freedom of speech, your freedom of speech cannot trump my freedom of speech. So we all end up with a freedom of speech that is limited within bounds that allow members of society to co-exist.

These kinds of negotiations of freedoms, responsibilities, privileges are an ongoing process as societies develop. The bounds of these freedoms are also affected by outside events - if I should happen to be suffering from some highly infectious disease that could potentially damage the health of many others, then my rights to free movement and interaction with others in society may well be temporarily or permanently restricted, in order to allow those others the right to continued health, free movement and interaction with others.

The balance between the rights of the one and the rights of the many depends upon the nature and framework of any particular society. No single type of society is the "correct" society. Some societies achieve a framework where the rights of certain individuals are much higher than the rights of others. In the United Kingdom we have a common misapprehension that all individuals have equal rights - but we actually live within a capitalist economic system where 99% of the money is controlled by 1% of the people, and those 1% have far more freedom to do whatever they like than the 99% do. Instead we denigrate the very concept of a true communist society where all is shared and all have equal freedoms (yes, I know that most examples of so-called communist societies in the world are in fact closer to dictatorships, with the power actually being very tightly held by a few and the many arguably have even less freedom than we do under our capitalist system).

So we in the UK, and to some extent most in the western world, at best have a limited form of freedom, and limited rights.

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

"no ones been free of gravity on this planet, oxygen is holding us hostage and greed has consumed many......

So the op is only on about man made freedom? You know that?..... how very narrow minded, you are hostage to your limited vision.... can I free you? Or will your pride hold you prisoner.... ?"

poss missed sarcasim however,

man made freedoms? if you are meaning human rights well yes, Nature gifts every living being the right and the means of these within this world.

shelter - nature provides,

humans want oversized bricks & mortar

food - nature provides humans want money and hoarding/control rights

water - nature provides, yet humans want to control and charge for it

medicine - nature provides medicines, humans copy and patent it then charge for it.

education - in nature it is provided by family, peers and experiences, humans want a right/wrong answer in repetition of what was taught, not how to think or question why/how it may be different.

freedom of movement - nature has no borders that are require a paper nor money to pass through, humans draw lines on a map and then want to charge for crossing and for the paper of allowance.

just to name a few.

no living thing can own land, water or air...its just a piece of paper same as money is nothing more an IOU or digits on a screen. They can't remove it land, water or air from the planet and leave the universe with it and money/finance only works because people believe it does.

who's small minded exactly?

over a year ago

Trapped in thinking lol.

Sartre would say we are always radically free, because we can choose to do or not to do. However we are not a human doing. We can choose to be present in the stillness of the eternal timeless now and witness whatever arises. When we simply are, we are free.

Very idealistic notion "

Experiential, not idealistic at all, as simple as recognising we were awareness from before our arse was slapped as a baby and we started crying. Human suffering and joy are two sides of the same coin, both illusions of our separateness from our True nature.

Maintaining freedom as a constant state now that is idealistic, albeit in deep dreamless sleep that is exactly what we are. As we increase our ability to maintain our attention to witness what arises without attachment we become free in each moment.

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

Freedom is an illusion. A beautiful illusion but based on what you perceive as reality. It is a layered rainbow of hope in that we can take a simple cursory glance and say we are free, but as we delve through the spectrum of our own realities we slowly come to understand that we are limited and where there are limits there is control, and where there is control, the mist of freedom evaporates.

On the flip side we can state, I am free to think, though I may not be free to act, in this instance we transcend the physical realities and find a place in the metaphoric esoteric stars, out there in the galaxy of your mind, you have freedom.

We are born into systems and realities that we learn to lean on as constants, as such we sacrifice freedom of action to ensure that, although constrained, there are rules and we have reconciled ourselves with the terms of those rules. Knowing that when we close our eyes, we are free in the universe of our mind.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS
over a year ago

Stockport

"Free Will and Testament", Robert Wyatt

over a year ago

"Freedom is an illusion. A beautiful illusion but based on what you perceive as reality. It is a layered rainbow of hope in that we can take a simple cursory glance and say we are free, but as we delve through the spectrum of our own realities we slowly come to understand that we are limited and where there are limits there is control, and where there is control, the mist of freedom evaporates.

On the flip side we can state, I am free to think, though I may not be free to act, in this instance we transcend the physical realities and find a place in the metaphoric esoteric stars, out there in the galaxy of your mind, you have freedom.

We are born into systems and realities that we learn to lean on as constants, as such we sacrifice freedom of action to ensure that, although constrained, there are rules and we have reconciled ourselves with the terms of those rules. Knowing that when we close our eyes, we are free in the universe of our mind. "

over a year ago

"Freedom is an illusion. A beautiful illusion but based on what you perceive as reality. It is a layered rainbow of hope in that we can take a simple cursory glance and say we are free, but as we delve through the spectrum of our own realities we slowly come to understand that we are limited and where there are limits there is control, and where there is control, the mist of freedom evaporates.

We are born into systems and realities that we learn to lean on as constants, as such we sacrifice freedom of action to ensure that, although constrained, there are rules and we have reconciled ourselves with the terms of those rules. Knowing that when we close our eyes, we are free in the universe of our mind. "

Except we do not need to close our eyes, we can be free in full awareness of each and every moment.

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

We are born into systems and realities that we learn to lean on as constants, as such we sacrifice freedom of action to ensure that, although constrained, there are rules and we have reconciled ourselves with the terms of those rules. Knowing that when we close our eyes, we are free in the universe of our mind.

Except we do not need to close our eyes, we can be free in full awareness of each and every moment."

Only if we evolve past drama and resolve our fears, for many that journey is a time away, everyone can be free when they close their eyes

over a year ago

Except we do not need to close our eyes, we can be free in full awareness of each and every moment.

Only if we evolve past drama and resolve our fears, for many that journey is a time away, everyone can be free when they close their eyes "

indeed. We can wake up now but growing up and cleaning up takes time.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I think that if nothing else, this thread of musings from swingers on the internet, let alone philosophical thinkers, has proven that the quote is lovely trite nonsense.

Freedom is a subjective term and comes with terms, conditions and provisions.

One persons freedom is another’s oppression, and there are constant movements and addendums to what you’re free to do and free from.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

[Removed by poster at 06/05/21 08:01:33]

over a year ago

"I think that if nothing else, this thread of musings from swingers on the internet, let alone philosophical thinkers, has proven that the quote is lovely trite nonsense.

Freedom is a subjective term and comes with terms, conditions and provisions.

One persons freedom is another’s oppression, and there are constant movements and addendums to what you’re free to do and free from.

"

^nail on the head

over a year ago

Notts

So the op is only on about man made freedom? You know that?..... how very narrow minded, you are hostage to your limited vision.... can I free you? Or will your pride hold you prisoner.... ?

poss missed sarcasim however,

man made freedoms? if you are meaning human rights well yes, Nature gifts every living being the right and the means of these within this world.

shelter - nature provides,

humans want oversized bricks & mortar

food - nature provides humans want money and hoarding/control rights

water - nature provides, yet humans want to control and charge for it

medicine - nature provides medicines, humans copy and patent it then charge for it.

education - in nature it is provided by family, peers and experiences, humans want a right/wrong answer in repetition of what was taught, not how to think or question why/how it may be different.

freedom of movement - nature has no borders that are require a paper nor money to pass through, humans draw lines on a map and then want to charge for crossing and for the paper of allowance.

just to name a few.

no living thing can own land, water or air...its just a piece of paper same as money is nothing more an IOU or digits on a screen. They can't remove it land, water or air from the planet and leave the universe with it and money/finance only works because people believe it does.

who's small minded exactly?"

Nice u turn lol .... guess you've read the other posts now.. but you have the freedom to u turn lol

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I'm aware.

I don't think there's a right answer, only a series of compromises. We all need to work together to find solutions."

What happens if I think my freedoms is more important than yours, should I have to compromise with anyone?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm aware.

I don't think there's a right answer, only a series of compromises. We all need to work together to find solutions.

What happens if I think my freedoms is more important than yours, should I have to compromise with anyone?"

If you want to live in society, yes. That's what happens, everyone compromises.

over a year ago

I'm aware.

What happens if I think my freedoms is more important than yours, should I have to compromise with anyone?

If you want to live in society, yes. That's what happens, everyone compromises."

Compromise is for the greater good and a more harmonious society, even though there will be those that push the boundaries

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm aware.

Compromise is for the greater good and a more harmonious society, even though there will be those that push the boundaries "

Yes. What the greater good is, is up for endless debate. But living in a society where more than one person has freedom - will involve compromise.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I'm aware.

Compromise is for the greater good and a more harmonious society, even though there will be those that push the boundaries

Yes. What the greater good is, is up for endless debate. But living in a society where more than one person has freedom - will involve compromise."

Love this discussion. What is a fair and reasonable way to identify and establish and habitualise any compromises deemed appropriate or necessary. Temporarily or permanently.?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm aware.

Yes. What the greater good is, is up for endless debate. But living in a society where more than one person has freedom - will involve compromise.

Love this discussion. What is a fair and reasonable way to identify and establish and habitualise any compromises deemed appropriate or necessary. Temporarily or permanently.? "

I don't know. Wish I did.

I think permanent decisions are going to be pretty rare - things like, we no longer own people as property. Otherwise, society shifts in values, we learn more, our realities change (could I ever have predicted that a situation came along where it was even arguably justifiable to put most of the population under house arrest? No)

The risk with any such set of decisions is that they perpetuate existing power structures, rather than working out what might truly be best given the information we have now.

It's a tricky one.

over a year ago

I'm aware.

Love this discussion. What is a fair and reasonable way to identify and establish and habitualise any compromises deemed appropriate or necessary. Temporarily or permanently.?

I think permanent decisions are going to be pretty rare - things like, we no longer own people as property. Otherwise, society shifts in values, we learn more, our realities change (could I ever have predicted that a situation came along where it was even arguably justifiable to put most of the population under house arrest? No)

The risk with any such set of decisions is that they perpetuate existing power structures, rather than working out what might truly be best given the information we have now.

It's a tricky one."

I think the level of compromise, is subjective to the situation that Compromise is needed in, there will be times when it's due to conflict resolution, then does the solution become a permanent fix or is it just an Interim solution..

As well as both or all parties being happy with said compromise, or no later deviation feo what has been arranged...

I guess it's a minefield rhat has to be navigated extremely carefully, it's not a one sixe fits all Scenario, diffremt merits and problems conflicts need diffrent measures

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm aware.

It's a tricky one.

I think the level of compromise, is subjective to the situation that Compromise is needed in, there will be times when it's due to conflict resolution, then does the solution become a permanent fix or is it just an Interim solution..

As well as both or all parties being happy with said compromise, or no later deviation feo what has been arranged...

I guess it's a minefield rhat has to be navigated extremely carefully, it's not a one sixe fits all Scenario, diffremt merits and problems conflicts need diffrent measures "

Absolutely. We're on the same page.

over a year ago

I'm aware.

It's a tricky one.

I guess it's a minefield rhat has to be navigated extremely carefully, it's not a one sixe fits all Scenario, diffremt merits and problems conflicts need diffrent measures

Absolutely. We're on the same page."

So it seems, if only life was easy hey

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I'm aware.

It's a tricky one.

Absolutely. We're on the same page."

Agreement on here? Pfft in victor meldrew voice... "I don't believe it"

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

over a year ago

I'm aware.

It's a tricky one.

Absolutely. We're on the same page.

Agreement on here? Pfft in victor meldrew voice... "I don't believe it" "

When did hell freeze over

over a year ago

So apart from my earlier posts of our only real freedom being consciousness and non attachment to our relative selves moment to moment experience, there is the concept of liberating disciplines. Liberating disciplines in this context would be a case where the degrees of freedom in society increase based on the disciplines of how well we collaborate together to develop the greatest depth of awareness, culture and social systems based on love, mutuality, lifelong holistic learning and inter systemic development, and scientific inquiry to support this for the greatest span on the planet. Our freedom is dependent on planetary balance. Learning the power of balance would lead to our greatest mutual freedom. Our freedom would be constrained by the disciplines until we learn together. Leadership of such liberating disciplines is so rare right now that we need to cultivate that first.

over a year ago

"So apart from my earlier posts of our only real freedom being consciousness and non attachment to our relative selves moment to moment experience, there is the concept of liberating disciplines. Liberating disciplines in this context would be a case where the degrees of freedom in society increase based on the disciplines of how well we collaborate together to develop the greatest depth of awareness, culture and social systems based on love, mutuality, lifelong holistic learning and inter systemic development, and scientific inquiry to support this for the greatest span on the planet. Our freedom is dependent on planetary balance. Learning the power of balance would lead to our greatest mutual freedom. Our freedom would be constrained by the disciplines until we learn together. Leadership of such liberating disciplines is so rare right now that we need to cultivate that first."

Too deep for me on a Thursday all this Existential stuff

over a year ago

"So apart from my earlier posts of our only real freedom being consciousness and non attachment to our relative selves moment to moment experience, there is the concept of liberating disciplines. Liberating disciplines in this context would be a case where the degrees of freedom in society increase based on the disciplines of how well we collaborate together to develop the greatest depth of awareness, culture and social systems based on love, mutuality, lifelong holistic learning and inter systemic development, and scientific inquiry to support this for the greatest span on the planet. Our freedom is dependent on planetary balance. Learning the power of balance would lead to our greatest mutual freedom. Our freedom would be constrained by the disciplines until we learn together. Leadership of such liberating disciplines is so rare right now that we need to cultivate that first.

Too deep for me on a Thursday all this Existential stuff "

Let me know which day suits you better

over a year ago

"So apart from my earlier posts of our only real freedom being consciousness and non attachment to our relative selves moment to moment experience, there is the concept of liberating disciplines. Liberating disciplines in this context would be a case where the degrees of freedom in society increase based on the disciplines of how well we collaborate together to develop the greatest depth of awareness, culture and social systems based on love, mutuality, lifelong holistic learning and inter systemic development, and scientific inquiry to support this for the greatest span on the planet. Our freedom is dependent on planetary balance. Learning the power of balance would lead to our greatest mutual freedom. Our freedom would be constrained by the disciplines until we learn together. Leadership of such liberating disciplines is so rare right now that we need to cultivate that first.

Let me know which day suits you better "

I'll have a think

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Let me know which day suits you better "

Yesterday lunch time would be good

over a year ago

Yesterday lunch time would be good "

I’ll qet my time turner out of the attic

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I’ll qet my time turner out of the attic"

Well as days of the week and time are man made constructs I'm sure it won't take you long.. Or will it?

over a year ago

Notts

I'm aware.

Yes. What the greater good is, is up for endless debate. But living in a society where more than one person has freedom - will involve compromise."

or mass brain washing? cloning? is china happier than the west? it might be...... has too much freedom made us unhappy?... or is that because we dont know how to use it?

over a year ago

I’ll qet my time turner out of the attic

Well as days of the week and time are man made constructs I'm sure it won't take you long.. Or will it? "

I think my foot pain is real though, so it might take a while to get up the ladder ??

over a year ago

I'm aware.

or mass brain washing? cloning? is china happier than the west? it might be...... has too much freedom made us unhappy?... or is that because we dont know how to use it?"

We don’t know how to use our freedom. We look for happiness outside of ourselves and our addictions and shadows cast a veil over our ability to find peace, contentment and equanimity. We have genetic code and large parts of our brain that are inactive. Why? What are we missing? What is it that is hiding in plain sight that we don’t see?

over a year ago

I'm aware.

or mass brain washing? cloning? is china happier than the west? it might be...... has too much freedom made us unhappy?... or is that because we dont know how to use it?

We don’t know how to use our freedom. We look for happiness outside of ourselves and our addictions and shadows cast a veil over our ability to find peace, contentment and equanimity. We have genetic code and large parts of our brain that are inactive. Why? What are we missing? What is it that is hiding in plain sight that we don’t see?"

Addictions do not bring happiness, in there obsessive compulsive nature

over a year ago

I'm aware.

We don’t know how to use our freedom. We look for happiness outside of ourselves and our addictions and shadows cast a veil over our ability to find peace, contentment and equanimity. We have genetic code and large parts of our brain that are inactive. Why? What are we missing? What is it that is hiding in plain sight that we don’t see?

Addictions do not bring happiness, in there obsessive compulsive nature "

indeed yet they form part of our comfortable cage.

over a year ago

Notts

I'm aware.

We don’t know how to use our freedom. We look for happiness outside of ourselves and our addictions and shadows cast a veil over our ability to find peace, contentment and equanimity. We have genetic code and large parts of our brain that are inactive. Why? What are we missing? What is it that is hiding in plain sight that we don’t see?"

yes we are still apes but sitting in cars! we havent evolved to watch tv! we have built a cage of comfort...

over a year ago

I'm aware.

yes we are still apes but sitting in cars! we havent evolved to watch tv! we have built a cage of comfort..."

time to break out

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I'm aware.

yes we are still apes but sitting in cars! we havent evolved to watch tv! we have built a cage of comfort... time to break out "

It's like an intro script to a pop video...

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm aware.

I'm not sure we've even adequately defined freedom. It's just a word that gets thrown around.

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan
over a year ago

I read something years ago can't remember who by and the exact words but it went something like

Keeping animals caged up won't produce the best quality food and the working animals won't last as long etc,

Many years ago the people in control worked out that sl*ves working the land would work better and last longer if they didn't have to live on the land, paying them a little more and they was given the impression they was free,

We are basically free range humans

Well it went something like that

over a year ago

I'm aware.

I'm not sure we've even adequately defined freedom. It's just a word that gets thrown around."

That is true, I also think it means different things depending on your developmental stage, so we will always interpret it through the filters of our worldview. There is not one definition. If we imagine development like the colours of the rainbow then we see freedom through the colour of our lenses. As we move through the rainbow we can eventually understand the spectrum of possible definitions and appreciate why people might define it that way.

Post new Message to Thread