FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

another olympic thread... would you bid again?

Jump to newest

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

okay... knowing now what we do? and knowing what it has done for the nation, there are rumours in high up places that london may put forward another olympic bid at some point in the future...

so, would you support another bid????

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i would, i have really enjoyed it and all the venues are built now so why not?

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

No.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

It is such hard work! I remember the first East London bid that was unsuccessful and how much had to be done for the second attempt. I feel I have been waiting for these Games for 13/14 years.

But, it galvanises action and with proper masterplanning has the potential to provide a lasting transformation for an area. And, now we know we can do it and the national euphoria it can lead to... hell, yes!

The British way will be to moan afterwards though. With the financial reconcilliation and effect not known until 2017 we will have a longish period of moaning.

over a year ago

I shall have a holiday in Holland or Norway.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

No!

over a year ago

Yep,However the I.O.C would almost certainly look elesewhere to up hold the Olympic tradtion of keeping it for all and every one, wouldnt be seen to return to us in that nearer future.

By *exki11enWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

No. It's been enjoyable, lifted peoples spirits blah, blah, blah but we simply cannot afford it!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"No. It's been enjoyable, lifted peoples spirits blah, blah, blah but we simply cannot afford it! "

But we have the facilities now so it won't costas much again.

I would without a doubt. Id also do more to be involved. Volunteering, getting tickets, going to live venues to be part of the crowd.

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

If 'at some point in the future' means in about 30 to 40 years, then yes.

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I was looking into it facilities wise and to be honest it is only the temp venues at horseguards and at greenwich park that would be taken now... everything else is staying up...

London did a great job of using facilities already there... ExCel, the O2, Lords, Wimbledon, Wembley Arena, and now to add to that track and field, cycling and swimming arena's, and hockey centre....

if they were to bid again, it wouldn't cost as much because most of the venues would be there.....

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"If 'at some point in the future' means in about 30 to 40 years, then yes."

not even that long.... dependant on what happens in 2020 bidding, they are talking about a bid in 2032 or 36

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

There are plenty more cities that want their turn first so I doubt we'd get a chance for about 50 years, by which time the infrastructure might need sorting out. Also, after watching Mo Farah through my fingers last night, I don't think my nerves could take it!

over a year ago

Manchester or Edinburgh in 24 years time, yes.

over a year ago

"I was looking into it facilities wise and to be honest it is only the temp venues at horseguards and at greenwich park that would be taken now... everything else is staying up...

London did a great job of using facilities already there... ExCel, the O2, Lords, Wimbledon, Wembley Arena, and now to add to that track and field, cycling and swimming arena's, and hockey centre....

if they were to bid again, it wouldn't cost as much because most of the venues would be there....."

... and would no longer be brand spanking new.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"Manchester or Edinburgh in 24 years time, yes. "

That's a point - it's not countries that get picked, it's cities.

By *abio OP   Man
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Manchester or Edinburgh in 24 years time, yes. "

remember that Glasgow gets the Commonwealth games in 2014.... so it will be interesting to see how they now live up...

Manchester would have been a brilliant shout had they not turned their athletics stadium in a football ground after their commonwealth games...

over a year ago

Manchester got turned down a while back even when they put in an excellent bid package, and it was then peeps realised it was London or nothing etc. etc...

My memory could be wrong though.

over a year ago

"okay... knowing now what we do? and knowing what it has done for the nation, there are rumours in high up places that london may put forward another olympic bid at some point in the future...

so, would you support another bid????"

Why would we want to bid so soon? Another 50 years then yeah maybe and the next generation of Brits can experience hosting the Games but it's a tad conceited to think we're so good at organising the Games that we should do it sooner before other cities have had the chance to do it.

In the same what that we didn't even try to emulate Beijing but come up with our own way of showing the world who we are, I hope Rio embraces that and shows the world just how colourful a culture it has, and then that should be repeated for whoever has the games after Rio (it's between Istanbul, Tokyo or Madrid for 2020).

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

"okay... knowing now what we do? and knowing what it has done for the nation, there are rumours in high up places that london may put forward another olympic bid at some point in the future...

so, would you support another bid????"

without a shadow of doubt but I would sort the ticketing out, despite what Locog say there are still empty seats at a lot of events. I have spent every night for the last 2 weeks trying to get 'returns' but never got anywhere. Must admit I didn't try for the £1500 tickets that were available for the closing ceremony though

over a year ago

One of the things which makes the Olympics special is… well they are special. It is a privilege to host them, no matter how much people chunter about cost. Just look at the crowds and how people have embraced the games… people standing 20 deep along road routes.

London has had its turn and it’s time to let other places feel some of the wonderful joy the Olympics bring.

Let's not become the child who doesn't want to let others play with the ball.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I would say no, well not for a long time,

1) we would have to push the boat out to better this one

2) if it was in the next 20 years it would take the edge of this one

3) Let someone else host it

Maybe in 50 years time. I did buy a couple of newspapers to keep of the opening ceremony and i can tell the grandchildren that i went and watched the torch bearer.

I also think 2012 will be a year noone forgets what with the diamond jubillee and the olympics, the whole year has been in celebration fever

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Manchester got turned down a while back even when they put in an excellent bid package, and it was then peeps realised it was London or nothing etc. etc...

My memory could be wrong though. "

It's not. Many UK sites were considered and, as has been said, it's cities not countries that IOC pick. The UK does not have a realistic chance for the next twenty years. Plus, it takes about that long to get a proper bid together.

I do think the use of existing venues will be seen as a great template for the future. Few will be able to match London's or the back drop that goes with them.

over a year ago

"

But we have the facilities now so it won't costas much again.

"

No we don't. The velodrome and Swimming pool are all that will remain untouched. The stadium is having its capacity reduced and being sold to a football team. The other venues were temporary anyway. The accomodation will be sold off to rich people for luxury flats and the media center is going to become a business hub.

So any new bid anywhere in this country will have to have shit loads of new building done at a cost of billions yet again. The games have been good and I have no problem with the athletes who have done such a wonderful job, but once the scale of the country's financial position was known in 2008 then we should have just cancelled it and spent the 9 billion pounds getting ourselves out of the shit.

This sort of wastage of public money should never be allowed to happen again.

over a year ago

" The games have been good and I have no problem with the athletes who have done such a wonderful job, but once the scale of the country's financial position was known in 2008 then we should have just cancelled it and spent the 9 billion pounds getting ourselves out of the shit.

This sort of wastage of public money should never be allowed to happen again."

I can see it now...

Dear IOC,

This is Great Britain, and we'd like to cancel the Olympic Games cos we've run out of dosh. Hope it doesn't fuck things up too much, but you know, it's just one of those things and can't be helped. Hope you understand.

p.s. This goes a long way to appeasing a minoroty of UK citizens who haven't got a fookin scooby that the Games will bring us more money than we spend on it, and elevate our position across the globe and hopefully bring us out from under the shadow of the Americans.

Ta awfully,

No.10.

Sheesh!

over a year ago

" The games have been good and I have no problem with the athletes who have done such a wonderful job, but once the scale of the country's financial position was known in 2008 then we should have just cancelled it and spent the 9 billion pounds getting ourselves out of the shit.

This sort of wastage of public money should never be allowed to happen again.

I can see it now...

Dear IOC,

This is Great Britain, and we'd like to cancel the Olympic Games cos we've run out of dosh. Hope it doesn't fuck things up too much, but you know, it's just one of those things and can't be helped. Hope you understand.

p.s. This goes a long way to appeasing a minoroty of UK citizens who haven't got a fookin scooby that the Games will bring us more money than we spend on it, and elevate our position across the globe and hopefully bring us out from under the shadow of the Americans.

Ta awfully,

No.10.

Sheesh! "

Really? More money for who? Not the shopkeepers or hoteliers who are saying it's not been much of an improvement for them. I was in London for 10 days over the Olympics and it was very quiet for the first week as TFL scared everyone away. Then it picked up the second week as they realised what they'd done. The only people making money from this are the official sponsors, and most of that profit will be efficiently tax avoided and sent offshore. No new permanent jobs have been created as its all temporary and most of the staff were volunteers anyway.

And what do you mean get us out from under the shadow of the Americans? Are they opressing us in some way? So if we had cancelled it what would have really happened? Would the French have come marching down whitehall or something?

The fact is that when you're facing bankruptcy you can't afford the big holiday you've always wanted. The Olympics is getting like big society weddings where everyone is trying to spend the most and impress the neighbors.

over a year ago

'Would You bid again?' - Simple answer 'NO'

'Should we have bit in the first place for this olympics?' - 'Absolutly not!' A collosal waste of money we (as a country) don't have. Tourism is DOWN, not just in London but right accross the country as visitors to the UK have stayed away in their millions. Local businesses have NOT been able to support the olympics as they have been prevented by the thought police from using the word 'Olympics or Olympic', anyone who used anything that looked remotley like a few 'rings' was told to remove it or face prosecution.

The only people who have benifited are the likes os Samsung, Coca Cola, McDonalds and the other corporate sponsors. What complete retard came up with the idea of making McFuckinDonalds the 'official resterant' of the Olympic Games - never in the history of mankind has there been a bigger purveyor of un-healthy shit! McDonalds = sport ?? more like McDonalds = unhealthy people!!

over a year ago

how many of you will be watching and supporting the paralympics.

i bet less than half of you.

over a year ago

"how many of you will be watching and supporting the paralympics.

i bet less than half of you."

Think thats a different thread mate.

over a year ago

no

Forum Mod

over a year ago

Oh you're so miserable all the time,you're a complete downer are'nt you?

over a year ago

Forum Mod

over a year ago

I think a different city and a good few years down the line

To try and repeat what we have seen in London and the atmosphere it created could never work and to try and do that would tarnish the memories of London 2012

By *entadreadMan
over a year ago

Essex

I am sure the retailers in London would say No. I saw people jogging along Oxford Street at 11 AM, on a Saturday morning, the whole street was empty.I thought I was tripping.

over a year ago

Oh you're so miserable all the time,you're a complete downer are'nt you?"

not at all.

stating a fact

over a year ago

not at all.

stating a fact"

not a fact. a presumption

over a year ago

I cannot help but feel funding have been cut from certain public services in order to finance the games and put on a good show for the world to see, and some people are suffering from the cutbacks as a result.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

not at all.

stating a fact"

Not a fact at all

An opinion or assumption

Im looking forward to the paralympics and I know loads of others that are too,I just wish that the closing ceremony was'nt until they had finished too,because as far as im concerned its not over yet

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I wouldn't bid for them again for at least 30 years (well 32) as it's a full generation (2 or 3 generations if you live in rural Cumbria) and to be honest, I didn't support the spending of umpteen billion quid on London......

HOWEVER.....I adored the opening ceremony, I've dipped in and out of the coverage, sobbed when Andy beat Rog, screamed at the telly at Mo last night (who I hadn't even heard of 2 weeks ago!!!!) terrified the cats with the yelling and jumping up and down off the sofa and basically been reminded of why I'm proud to be British.......but no, let's not bid again for a good few years

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I was looking forwards to the paralympics more than the olympics....it's what I've always preferred

over a year ago

not at all.

stating a fact"

Both Perky and I will be supporting the Paralympics as we know one of the Team GB competitors in the wheelchair sprint races, who gives up her time to go to Perky's daughters school for the benefit of the kids there (It's a special school for kids with all kinds of disabilities). With a bit of luck we might be able to get up to the Olympic Park and get some unallocated tickets.

Post new Message to Thread