Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Realising your age

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

A few days ago talking to our eldest about what to expect when he goes to high school in September, then realising that all the advice we were giving him could be completely off point because it was 18+ years ago that we were in that situation.

So question.... do you actually realise your age ? Or do you , like us , talk as if you're a lot younger and not realise how many years have passed ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think much more younger and talk much younger

I am bubly and very outgoing so I act younger

I can't believe in my late thirtys

over a year ago

Sound like me this ... I forget I’m 41 ... as I don’t look no where near it

over a year ago

"Sound like me this ... I forget I’m 41 ... as I don’t look no where near it "
We defo look our ages plus some haha buy it's all in the mind

By *rFun50Man
over a year ago

East London

As someone who is a bit in the middle of this I do get what you mean. I’m 26 which isn’t in any way old at all, I often see people in their late 30s or their 40s as much more “Proper adults” than myself. But at the same time I sometimes shock myself that it’s 10 years since I left school. I hate the cliche but age really is just a number, you can feel older or younger based on situations. Do you remember how grown up you felt at 16/17, and now they just look so young! Act young and have fun I say!

over a year ago

I still think I’m 18 then I try to do shit like when I was 18 and fail hard lol

over a year ago

"Sound like me this ... I forget I’m 41 ... as I don’t look no where near it We defo look our ages plus some haha buy it's all in the mind "

Deffo is in the mind .. I’m still 23

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

My son turned 15 this week...definitely made me realize my age

over a year ago

"Sound like me this ... I forget I’m 41 ... as I don’t look no where near it We defo look our ages plus some haha buy it's all in the mind

Deffo is in the mind .. I’m still 23 "

Ohhhh if someone mentions jagerbombs we're both 18 again no questions asked haha . Then back to reality on a Monday morning trying to hide the silver hairs

over a year ago

"My son turned 15 this week...definitely made me realize my age "

Our eldest turned 11 last week , rather not think about it

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

I have friends just starting families, I have friends who are now grandparents.

Have to admit I’ve been feeling like I’ve gone up a generation the last few years and I’m not really a fan of it.

over a year ago

"I have friends just starting families, I have friends who are now grandparents.

Have to admit I’ve been feeling like I’ve gone up a generation the last few years and I’m not really a fan of it. "

Dreading the grandparents stage! Hopefully it's layer rather than sooner !

over a year ago

I did yesterday when I dislocated a rib trying to pull a small tree out of my garden

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

"My son turned 15 this week...definitely made me realize my age

Our eldest turned 11 last week , rather not think about it "

Ask me again in 3 years...i'll need to rob a bank to finance uni!

over a year ago

I’m just glade I can still play American football at my age lol

over a year ago

I literally just had this conversation with my oldest friend. We grew up together, and it's hard to comprehend that we are now the same age our parents were when we were in school. They seemed so "old"!! But they were we think. Times have changed and our generation still have a youthful outlook and persona. Possibly because we did not have the same struggles as they or our grandparents did.

We do however often find ourselves having that "you know John who was married to Mary who had a child for Jack who was your second cousin on your father's side" type of conversation

over a year ago

I’m 44 and it freaks me out that people my age are old enough to have kids (even grandkids!). I only started feeling just about mature enough for marriage at 41 (still not married though).

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

"I have friends just starting families, I have friends who are now grandparents.

Have to admit I’ve been feeling like I’ve gone up a generation the last few years and I’m not really a fan of it. "

I’m glad I’m not the only one!! I’m 45 tomorrow but don’t feel it!! My 19 yr old thinks I’m ancient

J x

over a year ago

"I literally just had this conversation with my oldest friend. We grew up together, and it's hard to comprehend that we are now the same age our parents were when we were in school. They seemed so "old"!! But they were we think. Times have changed and our generation still have a youthful outlook and persona. Possibly because we did not have the same struggles as they or our grandparents did.

We do however often find ourselves having that "you know John who was married to Mary who had a child for Jack who was your second cousin on your father's side" type of conversation "

Youthful outlook but the grey hairs stop the youthful look browsing social media noticing how many of our school friends are married with children and so on , then remembering we're actually getting old lol. But yeah youthful outlook for definite ! Will soooo be taking our kids clubbing when they turn 18 or at least we'll try!

over a year ago

Have to admit I’ve been feeling like I’ve gone up a generation the last few years and I’m not really a fan of it.

I’m glad I’m not the only one!! I’m 45 tomorrow but don’t feel it!! My 19 yr old thinks I’m ancient

J x"

Best way around that , embarrass them in the supermarket chicken dance at morrisons checkouts is the real winner

over a year ago

"I’m 44 and it freaks me out that people my age are old enough to have kids (even grandkids!). I only started feeling just about mature enough for marriage at 41 (still not married though). "

Long engagement for us ! No way are we old enough to be married yet (mentally that is ) lol

over a year ago

"I’m 44 and it freaks me out that people my age are old enough to have kids (even grandkids!). I only started feeling just about mature enough for marriage at 41 (still not married though).

Long engagement for us ! No way are we old enough to be married yet (mentally that is ) lol "

Still trying to find someone to even have the long engagement with

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

You're old sir olov

The young man said

So why do you continue

Bouncing on that lady's bed?

I love the motion I said at last

There's only one thing

I can't bounce quite as fast

By *iberty RedWoman
over a year ago

Cheltenham

My oldest child is 31 & my oldest grandchild is nearly 10, I'm 50 in less than six months but I still feel like I'm in my thirties, I have a young outlook on life I think as I'm surrounded by young people at work & home.

I wouldn't want to be young now though with all the social media around, bad hair styles, clothes choices, etc saved for eternity

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

I always get told I look years younger than 46,but I'm aware of getting on now.

My body can't handle the things it used to, ie drinking too much or long several long shifts in a row.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

My knees feel like they are 44, the rest of me is staying in my 30s

over a year ago

Only when I compare my childhood with the one my kids have

By *ark ph0enixWoman
over a year ago

Teesside

I'm 47 this year. But in my head im in my early 20s.

I'm happy that way tho so not an issue

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I can feel myself getting physically older.

Mentally I am maturing but I'm still very able to adapt and grasp to things changing, advice I give is adjusted based upon what I knew about then, and what I know now. Of which I am quite capable of keeping up with most things... I'm not quite "back in my day" but there are also strange and bizzare "trends" of the modern day that scare me, not through confusion but disbelief that they are a thing.

over a year ago

I have friends around my age and younger who to me look older than I do. I'm not sure if it is fact or delusion.

It's remembering things that you thought were a few years ago and turns out they were a few decades ago...

over a year ago

At the tender age of 71, I still think like a much younger person, not sure how old I look but have been told by people that I look younger. Must be all the late nights, drinking and chasing women, I never catch them but the exercise must be working

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I feel amazing. I never feel my age. Or do I ?

When I looked at people my age when I was in my 20's I thought they were ancient and knew nothing.... now when I listen to those in their 20's I can only smile as I know they are not yet fully baked and speak only from their limited experiences in life.

When I walk around the neighbourhood going ..... look at the shit, look a the litter..... listen to the noise.... look at the untidy gardens/shops/pubs/businesses...... Listen to the awful vowel dropping vulgar , loud language......

Then I realise I haven't noticed that we are not in the 70's anymore.

I endure. Therefore i'm young.

over a year ago

im 30 next year, and i often forget it. sometimes i still feel, and look, like im ten years younger Px

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

Every morning getting out of bed.

over a year ago

"A few days ago talking to our eldest about what to expect when he goes to high school in September, then realising that all the advice we were giving him could be completely off point because it was 18+ years ago that we were in that situation.

So question.... do you actually realise your age ? Or do you , like us , talk as if you're a lot younger and not realise how many years have passed ? "

Did you tell him to watch out for that goldfish? ... do kids even still do that to each other lol

- I realise it. Try not to think about it

I (we) don’t act it I don’t think ... or at least we don’t act like people we went to school with do - some of them fuckers are ancient lol xxx

over a year ago

"I have friends around my age and younger who to me look older than I do. I'm not sure if it is fact or delusion.

It's remembering things that you thought were a few years ago and turns out they were a few decades ago..."

Thisssss ^

over a year ago

Your as young as you feel

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Yeah we talk as if 1990 was about five years ago . My dad talks about 1947 as if it was yesterday.

When our kids friends have children we sometimes talk about our experiences and you can see them thinking "but it's all different now"

over a year ago

I forget my age, along with lots of other things...

over a year ago

I realise my age when young girls come in my pub and they’re not interested

over a year ago

When my school friends talk about becoming grandparents!

By *arker secrets 321Man
over a year ago

West Bromwich

4 me still avin friends who I grew up with makes me feel young around me .but then ur nieces .nephews who u looked after av now got kids of their own .realise how years av flown by .Still a kid at heart x

over a year ago

All I know is things hurt more now than they use too

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"A few days ago talking to our eldest about what to expect when he goes to high school in September, then realising that all the advice we were giving him could be completely off point because it was 18+ years ago that we were in that situation.

So question.... do you actually realise your age ? Or do you , like us , talk as if you're a lot younger and not realise how many years have passed ? "

You have to realise it with kids , it’s risky if you don’t , especially as they get older and you advise them on education and careers. Some research shows kids get the worse possible career advice from parents , followed by school because they base it in how they remember things. It puts pressure on you as parents to not live in the past and adapt to modern culture and be relevant etc which is a good thing. I made a decision not to ever moan at my teenagers music tastes and play all the music I liked at their age, but discover new music together at festivals etc. You also need to be on top of social media and all the kids of pressures if you little ones so you can help them navigate all that safely, because the chances are your kids will have body image issues, join weird online forums, meet strangers off the internet and regularly self harm.

over a year ago

Most of my work colleagues are in their late 20’s and early 30’s and I don’t feel much older myself in my deluded mind when I’m with them, my sometimes creaking bones bring me back to earth with a bump most mornings and hit me with a dose of Welsh reality that I’m actually 53..(not that I look it mind)!

By *ralwsmMan
over a year ago

Weston-super-Mare

Age is just a number, my brain thinks that number is -20 than what it is but my body thinks it is +20.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I'm not that old, but no-one told my body. It thinks it's about 85

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

When your daughter tells you it is time you had a Lasting Power of Attorney

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

im sixty feel like im 30

over a year ago

I’m 56 thing you are as old as you feel

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

I certainly feel my age but still have my daft moments. When you see family growing up, it hits home though x

By *ockboy77Man
over a year ago

Angus, and Aberdeen area

I’m 52, still dress like a punk tho

Age means nothing

over a year ago

I'm 40, but forever get told I don't look anywhere near that age so I don't think too much about it, numbers mean nothing..

By *amish SMan
over a year ago

Eastleigh

Doesn't matter how old you are, in the kids eyes you were never young!!

I was lucky to work with youngsters, some from 16 years old, so managed to keep up with things. Some went on to become good engineers and leaders.

As I remind some, kids are not yours, they are only loaned to you, I remind my very independant youngest of this now she is 22 and living in here own place.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I'm 44, physically feel about 94, in my head only 24, get told I look about 34...

Still not a "proper" adult though I don't think.

over a year ago

I haven’t aged a day.......mentally

My weary bones and haggard face gives it away though

J

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

My oldest was 11 last week and starts high school in September, it gave me a bump back to reality on getting older, in my head I don't feel nowhere near the almost 43 I am x

By *azkinsWoman
over a year ago

leeds

In my head I'm in my 20s . My body says otherwise.

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

"When my school friends talk about becoming grandparents! "

This, I have several friends from school that are now grandparents cause they had their kids a lot younger than I did

over a year ago

My son is 32.

over a year ago

"I'm 44, physically feel about 94, in my head only 24, get told I look about 34...

Still not a "proper" adult though I don't think. "

Don't bother. Being a grown up is severely over-rated...

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

I am young at heart and that is all that matters.

over a year ago

It’s about my outlook on life

over a year ago

I am what I am, great memories!!! lived and still

Living my life to the fullest...

By *lovisMan
over a year ago

Twickenham

Went to Body Works exhibition in London and they have body analysis machines at the end. My results said that my metabolism was that of a 74 year old. Disappointment that this isn't enough to get me my pension already.

over a year ago

My brain has 2 ages, one much younger than the other.. They have no idea the other exists ... I think my penchant for younger guys is because of my young brain part... I still feel my spirit is young... The old part is for talking/philosophising/advice and other things that can only come from a life lived... That kinda guff, ya know... For that, I quite like being old not sure which bit the talking shite comes from though

over a year ago

(M) Yes - most certainly. Plus the reality hitting that many of the hope and dreams of youth will never be realised. That’s the hardest part. Accepting the mediocrity reached at middle age

Post new Message to Thread