Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

It's very sad but

Jump to newest

By *ob Carpe Diem OP   Man
over a year ago

Torquay

Why does Indonesia have military submarines, is it just an ego project. I'm not well informed so just asking, I know the UK does of course and I understand those that would argue against that but Indonesia?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *gent CoulsonMan
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

Well the US, Russia and other superpowers have get rid of their outdated military equipment, so why not to them

over a year ago

Torquay

Well I guess they got rid of it but not really what I meant

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Indonesia is an archipelago of over 17,500 islands. That is a lot of water. Having a navy that can operate across all of that water is a good strategic idea.

over a year ago

Torquay

Is it? Whose about to attack Indonesia, and submarines?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Is it? Whose about to attack Indonesia, and submarines?"

Are you suggesting that some countries shouldn't have armed forces?

over a year ago

Torquay

"Is it? Whose about to attack Indonesia, and submarines?

Are you suggesting that some countries shouldn't have armed forces?"

Well some don't and do very well as a result

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Is it? Whose about to attack Indonesia, and submarines?

Are you suggesting that some countries shouldn't have armed forces?

Well some don't and do very well as a result"

In the "Modern World" most countries don't really need an Armed Forces, but the "deterrent argument" would suggest that if they didn't have a military... someone would take advantage of that.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

Any country has the right yo defend itself. Just because there is no clear threat at the moment, it doesn't mean there will never be one. Countries in that area have been aggressively territorial in the not-too-distant past. Which country wants to be caught with its trousers down during an invasion?

They would be able to offer assistance to other countries' military forces if the chose to.

There is also the potential for the military to assist with home security and crime operations. They may want to protect their fishing waters. They may want to prevent illegal immigration.

Those are just the reasons I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

Even Austria used to have a navy.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Who's about to attack us?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

A quick Google tells me 31 countries don't have armed forces but receive military assistance from more powerful states or their police forces function as de facto military forces.

I don't pretend to understand the whys and wherefores but I guess it's every countries right and best interests to have some sort of organised defence.

over a year ago

Torquay

Yeah but the modern world not so different from 100 years ago, treaties can be forged, I know that's a give and take thing but I really wonder if Indonesia needs submarines or if it's more an ego project, guess that's my point really

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It has a population of 270 million people. The fourth largest population in the world. I'd say it's more than a vanity project

over a year ago

Torquay

"It has a population of 270 million people. The fourth largest population in the world. I'd say it's more than a vanity project"

Yeah but not sure they have that much natural resources, just putting it out there but who's the enemy. I mean 50+ people died and do they really think submarines will help if one of the super powers attacked. And who else would, all I'm saying really.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm really challenging Mr Google tonight he lists oil and natural gas among their resources.

Post new Message to Thread