Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Romance Fraud

Jump to newest

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

Wow, just watched a programne and it said that 68 million pounds per year was lost to romance fraud with the average person losing £18000 pound !

With the fraudsters even taking unknowing people's videos off social media to use them to pretend to be that person and used in the scam.

Sadly most of the victims were women falling for the mainly Nigerian based scam artists.

Sad, sick con artists praying on people who think they've met there mr/mrs right.

Does Anyone think they've been catfished ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

This reminds me that I have seen a really good movie about Nigerian scam recently called 'seul Les bêtes'.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Not financially I haven't, but I do feel I was misled into giving my heart, which has cost me dearly.

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"This reminds me that I have seen a really good movie about Nigerian scam recently called 'seul Les bêtes'."

Not heard of that film

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I’ve watched things about this and I do find myself thinking how the hell could you be so naive?! But it was very very sad. There are very vulnerable people out there and my heart did go out to a few of them.

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"Not financially I haven't, but I do feel I was misled into giving my heart, which has cost me dearly."

Trusting someone and breaking your heart is worse than losing £'s and harder to repair

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

"I’ve watched things about this and I do find myself thinking how the hell could you be so naive?! But it was very very sad. There are very vulnerable people out there and my heart did go out to a few of them. "

My initial thought is always how could you be so naive as well but I guess some people just want to believe in love.

Didn't realise they were using stolen social media videos to make it more believable as well

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I’ve watched things about this and I do find myself thinking how the hell could you be so naive?! But it was very very sad. There are very vulnerable people out there and my heart did go out to a few of them.

My initial thought is always how could you be so naive as well but I guess some people just want to believe in love.

Didn't realise they were using stolen social media videos to make it more believable as well"

They are exploiting our deepest need for relationship

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I’ve watched things about this and I do find myself thinking how the hell could you be so naive?! But it was very very sad. There are very vulnerable people out there and my heart did go out to a few of them.

Didn't realise they were using stolen social media videos to make it more believable as well"

My eldest sometimes watches that catfish programme and I catch bits of it. It’s awful!

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Given by my past experience verifying users using the technology available found a huge loophole what length people's personal information and images can and are being used to scam others and it's mainly Nigerian based not knocking anyone of this origin who may use fab but sites need to do more so those who are using the sites to verify users so it doesn't happen

By *layfullsam OP   Man
over a year ago

Solihull

Didn't realise they were using stolen social media videos to make it more believable as well

My eldest sometimes watches that catfish programme and I catch bits of it. It’s awful!"

My daughter was watching it and it was the first one I've seen, scary

Post new Message to Thread