Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Environmental impact and you.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Evening you lovely lot, i have afew intriguing questions regarding grocery purchases.

My parents have a farm & farm shop with tea rooms. Now my dad doesnt really think people are generally that bothered about how their purchases effect the environment, he thinks quality, local sourced organically produced produce are the the main reason people shop there.

Now im very environmentally conscious with regaurds to everything, if the packaging isnt recyclable i dont buy it, i try to buy locally sourced & organic, ive put recycled/recyclable retro paper bags into the shop which are great but he prefers the paper ones with the plastic window which i hate.

So does it bother you?

Are you conscious about recyclable packaging & do you check?

Do you use the plastic bags when grocery shopping for fruit ect?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don't check the packaging for recyclability but I don't use the bags for loose fruit and veg. Just put it straight into my bag as is.

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

Very aware, from reusable bags for loose veg, low-packaging dishwasher tablets to recycled washing up bowl (thanks Aldi).

We're not perfect, but we try where we can.

over a year ago

Hubby and I hunt we don't bit alot of meat. Alot of our meals are vegetables from the garden or canned. Milk and other beverages mostly the extend of our recyclables. We take canvas bags when we go shopping and recycle what needs to.

over a year ago

I recycle everything I possibly can and always take bags into a shop. I also tend to buy Scottish/British over something sourced abroad.

Never use the plastic bags for fruit and veg just goes straight in the basket.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

At my local Morrisons the cashiers would often kindly bag up my loose fruit and veg for me, after I deliberately didn't use a bag.

First 2 times it happened I was too busy playing packing Tetris to notice.

Now I have 2 little net bags I put all loose fruit and veg in.

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"At my local Morrisons the cashiers would often kindly bag up my loose fruit and veg for me, after I deliberately didn't use a bag.

First 2 times it happened I was too busy playing packing Tetris to notice.

Now I have 2 little net bags I put all loose fruit and veg in.

"

They're also handy for washing delicates

over a year ago

We take bags to the shops here as plastic carrier bags aren't really available unless paid for.

Yet other countries use plastic carrier bags for just a couple of items. A big shop can result in 15 carrier bags that just get binned...!

By *ushtakerMan
over a year ago

Preston

I retail fresh produce

We recycle the cardboard outer boxes

Any wooden or plastic boxes are taken back to market for growers to reuse

Their happy as min cost for cardboard box is 50p

No produce needs a bag as all comes in it’s own wrapping (skin /peel )

We do supply plastic bags for customers to use if they wish if I didn’t I could save £100 a week easily but the number of complaints would be horrendous

I’ve looked at recyclable bags but they cost 3/4 times as much so not viable unless government bring in a law to say we have to charge as they have done for carrier bags

Paper bags are not strong enough if the produce is wet they disintegrate

We recycle all green waste to local pig farm

I would say we are one of the most environmentally friendly businesses going

Just need to find a way around the plastic bag situation

Any ideas ???

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

Might be a daft question, and I'm sure the answer would be a resounding"no" but have you asked any of your regulars if they'd be prepared to pay 5p for a bag?

I'd imagine not, but just in case?

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I use the cardboard fruit boxes in the shop instead of plastic bags, they make great seedling boxes afterwards

over a year ago

"I retail fresh produce

We do supply plastic bags for customers to use if they wish if I didn’t I could save £100 a week easily but the number of complaints would be horrendous

I’ve looked at recyclable bags but they cost 3/4 times as much so not viable unless government bring in a law to say we have to charge as they have done for carrier bags

Any ideas ??? "

Fishnet tights

By *ushtakerMan
over a year ago

Preston

[Removed by poster at 22/04/21 19:16:05]

over a year ago

Love the idea of these net bags for fruit veg ect, we did do fabric bags rather than large plastic bags and most customers do use the tbf or bring 'supermarket use again' the paper bags ive put in are for loose salad and veg. The old ones we had were great but plastic lined so not biodegradable or reusable which bugged me.

By *ushtakerMan
over a year ago

Preston

"Might be a daft question, and I'm sure the answer would be a resounding"no" but have you asked any of your regulars if they'd be prepared to pay 5p for a bag?

I'd imagine not, but just in case?"

They do pay for carriers but I have to compete with supermarkets I have a Tesco 4 doors down from me

If add 5p to say 20 bags of different items that would add a £1 to their shopping bill

I can’t compete on price as it is

Wish it was that easy

By *ushtakerMan
over a year ago

Preston

"I retail fresh produce

Any ideas ???

I wear those too but the ladders are a bugger x

Fishnet tights"

over a year ago

"I retail fresh produce

Any ideas ???

I wear those too but the ladders are a bugger x

Fishnet tights"

x

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"Might be a daft question, and I'm sure the answer would be a resounding"no" but have you asked any of your regulars if they'd be prepared to pay 5p for a bag?

They do pay for carriers but I have to compete with supermarkets I have a Tesco 4 doors down from me

If add 5p to say 20 bags of different items that would add a £1 to their shopping bill

Wish it was that easy "

Oh absolutely

I'd even imagine it's ridiculously expensive to have a logo on the bags and if they bring that bag back next time you knock ten pence off or something.

over a year ago

I was an environmental activist decades ago and lived a very very environmentally friendly life since I was 16 so yes, environmental impact is exceedingly important to me! I'm blessed with a 0 carbon footprint for the last few years!!!

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

It's definitely something thwt bothers me. Half the reason I switched to bamboo face pads was to spare the environment from all my facewipes. I was also pleased to see a lot of easter eggs this year had switched to cardboard inner packaging rather than plastic. I'm also considering these cleaning products which are made with disolvable tablets and reusable spray bottles.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Your dad is correct in general , people shop at farm shops primarily because they can afford higher quality food, not for environmental reasons. But attitudes are changing and people’s social consciousness are waking up and that is why zero waste and vegan initiatives are more widespread and supermarkets now taking notice.

If I was your dad I’d definitely begin plan for the future, ignoring it is short sighted, but not take eyes off the core customers needs and make it hard work or hike prices, farms shops already hit the upper price point and recyclable packaging and zero waste actually costs more , people may begin to question value If it comes at an even higher cost.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I was an environmental activist decades ago and lived a very very environmentally friendly life since I was 16 so yes, environmental impact is exceedingly important to me! I'm blessed with a 0 carbon footprint for the last few years!!! "

Are you zero waste ? It’s my goal for 2021 it’s so hard!

By *ushtakerMan
over a year ago

Preston

Wish it was that easy

Oh absolutely

I'd even imagine it's ridiculously expensive to have a logo on the bags and if they bring that bag back next time you knock ten pence off or something."

The carrier bags do have logos

They are expensive

I have dute bags too which cost £2 each that I sell at cost if people prefer

I don’t refund customers who bring their own bags as I’d be paying people to bring bags from anywhere how can you say to someone who brings my bag have 10p off and someone who brings Tesco bag u don’t get 10p off

I’m over the moon a Tesco customer has come in my shop but to offend them would be bad Bussiness but to reward them when Tesco’s won’t be for someone using my bag is not viable

I honestly looking for someone thinking outside the box to come up with a viable alternative

over a year ago

"I was an environmental activist decades ago and lived a very very environmentally friendly life since I was 16 so yes, environmental impact is exceedingly important to me! I'm blessed with a 0 carbon footprint for the last few years!!!

Are you zero waste ? It’s my goal for 2021 it’s so hard! "

Virtually now ... though covid has buggered it up briefly with so much being delivered

By *ushtakerMan
over a year ago

Preston

"I was an environmental activist decades ago and lived a very very environmentally friendly life since I was 16 so yes, environmental impact is exceedingly important to me! I'm blessed with a 0 carbon footprint for the last few years!!!

I’d say I’m 90% but then I run a lorry a van car use electric have uniforms that are made from recycled plastic

It goes on and on

Virtually impossible to be 100%

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"I use the cardboard fruit boxes in the shop instead of plastic bags, they make great seedling boxes afterwards "

Always a good idea, free box, free disposal, win win!

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

I’d say I’m 90% but then I run a lorry a van car use electric have uniforms that are made from recycled plastic

It goes on and on

There are many of us here, who never want to have kids. So despite pressure from society, wannabe grand parents and the like: we are not selfish, in fact that's 1 less person on this over crowded and badly organised planet to screw things up and they will.

Has anyone done a carbon footprint measurement on raising the next generation?

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I retail fresh produce

Any ideas ??? "

Why don’t you take a risk and invest - design your own branded bag for life , give away as loyalty to the regular customers then sell , always offer first before plastic , and offer a small incentive if then used.

Often people are open to an idea, you just have to make it a little bit easier and nudge them over the line , we are mostly sheep and do as were told

over a year ago

It goes on and on

There are many of us here, who never want to have kids. So despite pressure from society, wannabe grand parents and the like: we are not selfish, in fact that's 1 less person on this over crowded and badly organised planet to screw things up and they will.

Has anyone done a carbon footprint measurement on raising the next generation?"

Depends on how you chose to raise kids and educate them ... don't think mine are going to have children due to their environmental awareness

By *ushtakerMan
over a year ago

Preston

"I retail fresh produce

Any ideas ???

Why don’t you take a risk and invest - design your own branded bag for life , give away as loyalty to the regular customers then sell , always offer first before plastic , and offer a small incentive if then used.

Often people are open to an idea, you just have to make it a little bit easier and nudge them over the line , we are mostly sheep and do as were told "

My dute bags are my design fully Recallable but they cost £2 each for me to buy in

Living on the coast we have a lot of trippers who come on holiday or day trips shop with me then go home to different towns cities

Can you imagine give information 1000 bags a way each week at £2 each ?

£100,000 per year ?

I don’t wish to be argumentative but it’s simply not that simple

By *ushtakerMan
over a year ago

Preston

Typo

Giving away

over a year ago

"Evening you lovely lot, i have afew intriguing questions regarding grocery purchases.

My parents have a farm & farm shop with tea rooms. Now my dad doesnt really think people are generally that bothered about how their purchases effect the environment, he thinks quality, local sourced organically produced produce are the the main reason people shop there.

Now im very environmentally conscious with regaurds to everything, if the packaging isnt recyclable i dont buy it, i try to buy locally sourced & organic, ive put recycled/recyclable retro paper bags into the shop which are great but he prefers the paper ones with the plastic window which i hate.

So does it bother you?

"

more concerned about the classic compact tractor in your profile pic is it a ford 1720

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

"Evening you lovely lot, i have afew intriguing questions regarding grocery purchases.

So does it bother you?

"

Absolutely, i stopped buying frozen meat because its imported (more miles, diff standards & often not grass fed so soya fed ahhh!)

He basically said everything that an enviro person looks for in products.

Btw the paper bags with plastic windows are in enviro terms green washing, maybe try the 'why do we need the window, we know what went in it & need to open out to count anyway.

Im also the person who refuses to buy it if it's got lots of plastic or if i really font need it.

Can i ask if your family has any methane capture energy plans? Those are the next step, every waste resource will need to be put to use.

over a year ago

"It's definitely something thwt bothers me. Half the reason I switched to bamboo face pads was to spare the environment from all my facewipes. I was also pleased to see a lot of easter eggs this year had switched to cardboard inner packaging rather than plastic. I'm also considering these cleaning products which are made with disolvable tablets and reusable spray bottles. "

Yes i noticed this regarding easter eggs too. Even lindt was fully recyclable

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

Im also the one with all the loose fruit & veg @ supermarket

over a year ago

"Your dad is correct in general , people shop at farm shops primarily because they can afford higher quality food, not for environmental reasons. But attitudes are changing and people’s social consciousness are waking up and that is why zero waste and vegan initiatives are more widespread and supermarkets now taking notice.

If I was your dad I’d definitely begin plan for the future, ignoring it is short sighted, but not take eyes off the core customers needs and make it hard work or hike prices, farms shops already hit the upper price point and recyclable packaging and zero waste actually costs more , people may begin to question value If it comes at an even higher cost. "

Agree, we did actually try a afew vegan choices but it flopped so gave up with that. Our meat is our own & local organically fed so were really well known for meat quality, the closest weve had to vegans visiting is vegan activists .

over a year ago

So does it bother you?

Absolutely, i stopped buying frozen meat because its imported (more miles, diff standards & often not grass fed so soya fed ahhh!)

Btw the paper bags with plastic windows are in enviro terms green washing, maybe try the 'why do we need the window, we know what went in it & need to open out to count anyway.

Im also the person who refuses to buy it if it's got lots of plastic or if i really font need it.

Can i ask if your family has any methane capture energy plans? Those are the next step, every waste resource will need to be put to use. "

Yes i cannot stand imported meat. We managed to get paper bags with little enviro facts on which i think is great. Yes we have methane capture tanks it was actually a free installation via the current government and it part powers the farm and when the new tractor arrives will power that too.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

It goes on and on

Has anyone done a carbon footprint measurement on raising the next generation?

Depends on how you chose to raise kids and educate them ... don't think mine are going to have children due to their environmental awareness "

I remember a Gepography teacher telling me, that an American kid (Beverly Hills brat types) will take about 144 times more resources than a farmer's kid in rural India. shorter life spans and disease really skew these figures.

By *eoeclipseWoman
over a year ago

glasgow

So does it bother you?

Can i ask if your family has any methane capture energy plans? Those are the next step, every waste resource will need to be put to use.

Yes i cannot stand imported meat. We managed to get paper bags with little enviro facts on which i think is great. Yes we have methane capture tanks it was actually a free installation via the current government and it part powers the farm and when the new tractor arrives will power that too. "

Excellent!!

As for the vegan activists, I get everything including plants feel pain, they are after all living things, and regardless of which species they are all food for another, it is just the natural circles (with the exception of us in most cases). It is part of life.

Kill It, cook it eat it explored this years ago, many were content with how it was done & few turned vegan/veg as a result tbh.

Population sizes, eating habits and food waste are other issues that are connected too and would do a damn lot to help the enviroment.

best one to get them on is their plastic waste by refusing to use animal byproducts like leather and wool which then go to waste entirely, yet even still have far less damage on the environment than plastic made clothes and products instead of a zero waste view.

their view on cows + soya is based on the US, not UK, plus the US mass consumes WAAAY more than any human ever needs to to be healthy.

We definitely need to drive home the local benefits in many ways.

I'd love to see less chemical fertilizers and a return to the natural pest control methods like perennials and herbs alongside.

Keep going and try convert the neighbours

By *urls and DressesWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere near here

I’m very aware of the environment and my footprint on it. I try to use as little plastic as possible, I buy fruit and veg from the market, always loose and local. It’s extremely important to me

Post new Message to Thread