Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cobblers!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Does anyone still use them in todays throw away society?. I mean, obviously they do other wise they'd have gone out of business.. Unless they are living off the back of the key cutting thing..

Hubby going to get his favourite biker boots resoled. Peoples comments of "just throw them away Nd buy new" got us thinking.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *gent CoulsonMan
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

I will always use one, I cant wear synthetic soul shoes, and what I have paid in the past for decent shoes, am not throwing them away

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Does anyone still use them in todays throw away society?. I mean, obviously they do other wise they'd have gone out of business.. Unless they are living off the back of the key cutting thing..

Hubby going to get his favourite biker boots resoled. Peoples comments of "just throw them away Nd buy new" got us thinking. "

Always! If you buy decent shoes definitely worth it ...

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Only for decent shoes/work books.

Most cheap trainers/shoes there is no point.

As an aside, there is a youtube channel “Tring shoe repair and key shop” which I discovered during lockdown, where he shows off the work he does. Fascinating if you enjoy learning about how stuff is done!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We do and always have. I cat see the point of paying a lot of money for decent shoes or boots and chucking then away when the heels or soles go. Once they've been reheeled and soled twice or three times we start to look at the comparative cost of a new pair though.

By *otsonewMan
over a year ago

All over North and Scotland

My old man was an independent shoe repairer for 40 odd years until recently. The demand was definitely lower in the later years but still had people who bought good quality and had them repaired once a year.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

No but they are my local football team

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

Yes, I'm forever losing the little caps from the bottom of heels so have to have them replaced...and although I keep the replacement ones that come in the box, they're all in that black hole that is "the safe place"

over a year ago

Hell yeah my walking boots have had plenty of hammer and I have had the re soled abd new Randing in the last 10 years

over a year ago

I have some hand made brogues resoled year before last. They were a gift so very sentimental and so so comfy for a formal shoe.

Apart from that 50% of the time in in wellys the rest of the time in in footwear which typically fall apart or go tatty before the soles wear down so they just get replaced.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I rather buy an expensive pair of boots and get them reheeled than cheap ones that don't last. My last black knee high boots lasted me over 10 years. So works out cheaper.

Though I don't think cobblers are as good as they used to be. Need to find a good independent one. My brogues got ruined by the last cobbler

By *imply_SensualMan
over a year ago

warrington

Always, shoes are the one thing I will happily spend good money on, and at times, I have spent more at a cobblers to keep good in shoes in good order, than it would have cost to buy a cheaper ‘disposable’ pair

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Never found a guy to do a pair of new rocks though... Mind you, never seen a pair wear out..

over a year ago

One near me did an excellent job on my cowboy boots.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

I went to have my fave shoes resoled about 18 months ago. They were too far gone

Post new Message to Thread