Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

National Speed Limit

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

If the National speed limit is 70mph should car manufacturers be made to limit all models to not exceed that limit?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Its 60.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Its 60."

Depends if there's a central reservation .

over a year ago

"Its 60."
this

over a year ago

"Its 60."

Well, it’s different dependant on the road and vehicle. For a car, 60 on a single carriageway and 70 on a dual carriageway

over a year ago

"If the National speed limit is 70mph should car manufacturers be made to limit all models to not exceed that limit?"

No

By *G CoupleCouple
over a year ago

kent

"Its 60."

It depends on the vehicle your driving and road your driving on.

over a year ago

"If the National speed limit is 70mph should car manufacturers be made to limit all models to not exceed that limit?"

But no, it’d be absolutely no fun on a track day

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I just want the potholes fixed

over a year ago

I do think cars should be limited to 75 miles, then all the jerks in their fancy cars might drive more considerably

By *-man24Man
over a year ago

northwest

Depends on the road,motorway,duel Carriageway on the limit and what about Germany’s auto barn no speed limit I believe

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I do think cars should be limited to 75 miles, then all the jerks in their fancy cars might drive more considerably "

That's a lot of fuel stops

By *psingleMan
over a year ago

Ipswich

Definitely not lol.

Speed limits differ per country - for example 130kmh in France - derestricted on some autobahns in Germany.

Speed isn’t the dangerous killer it’s made out to be - it’s the inappropriate use of speed.

I’d rather the M25 had an 85mph speed limit and everyone got in the correct lane at the right speed than the current lane 3 drips at 45mph...

over a year ago

"Its 60.

It depends on the vehicle your driving and road your driving on."

This. Weather is a factor as well.

By *-man24Man
over a year ago

northwest

How about harsher punishment for speeding and no drink to be able to drive but the government gives your enough rope to fuck you over only my opinion like

By *9089Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Depends on the road,motorway,duel Carriageway on the limit and what about Germany’s auto barn no speed limit I believe "

There used to be a recommendation of 130 km/h. You could go faster but it was taken in to consideration if you were in an accident

over a year ago

Can’t see Audi agreeing to this

over a year ago

"Depends on the road,motorway,duel Carriageway on the limit and what about Germany’s auto barn no speed limit I believe "

Yep, and as controversial as it is I'd like to see similar in the UK. I drive long distance regularly and sometimes it is just not safe to drive at 70mph on the motorway, you have to keep up with the traffic weather and road conditions allowing

over a year ago

"Its 60.

It depends on the vehicle your driving and road your driving on.

This. Weather is a factor as well.

"

Not to a roads actual speed limit. Obviously your driving should be adjusted

over a year ago

The national speed limit is depicted by a white circular sign with a black stripe diagonally across it from right to left. If you're on a dual carriageway and driving a car or motorcycle the national limit is 70mph. If you're on a single carriageway and driving a car or motorcycle the national speed limit is 60mph.

over a year ago

"Depends on the road,motorway,duel Carriageway on the limit and what about Germany’s auto barn no speed limit I believe

Yep, and as controversial as it is I'd like to see similar in the UK. I drive long distance regularly and sometimes it is just not safe to drive at 70mph on the motorway, you have to keep up with the traffic weather and road conditions allowing"

Are you saying you want to go faster or slower? On the autobahn, you can drive as fast as you like, but it’s recommended to go 85mph (130kph)

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Speed does not kill..

It's the sudden stop...

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Nope as it's got nothing to do with the speed of the vehicle just the idiot behind the wheel

over a year ago

"Depends on the road,motorway,duel Carriageway on the limit and what about Germany’s auto barn no speed limit I believe

Yep, and as controversial as it is I'd like to see similar in the UK. I drive long distance regularly and sometimes it is just not safe to drive at 70mph on the motorway, you have to keep up with the traffic weather and road conditions allowing"

Agreed I drive a lot go to France Belgium a bit and the roads over there are dream always tend to slow down at junctions and in bad weather always drive with the weather in mind and courtesy to other road users

over a year ago

Even if they did removing the limiter is not difficult

By *-man24Man
over a year ago

northwest

"Speed does not kill..

It's the sudden stop..."

Lol like it

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

It would be more effective to actually enforce the speed limit better.

If they aren't enforcing it well, what would stop people removing a limiter, importing cars without one or driving classic cars that would almost certainly be exempt (like they are with many things already)?

By * Sophie xTV/TS
over a year ago

Derby

And of you produce a car that can only do 70mph then it is built to a budget and that will include its braking and suspension systems and have poor tires which badly affect both its grip on the road and both its stopping capabilities and distances.

Compare a budget kit rio to even a mid-high level focus or a BMW, at 70mph the Kia is a fat less capable vehicle in the hands of the same driver.

I could go on and on about this but won't other than to say that a cars performance is equalled by its safety and road handling capabilites and in the event of an emergency situation, you will want to be in the better engineered car or have the better engineered car braking so as not to hit you.

over a year ago

"And of you produce a car that can only do 70mph then it is built to a budget and that will include its braking and suspension systems and have poor tires which badly affect both its grip on the road and both its stopping capabilities and distances.

Compare a budget kit rio to even a mid-high level focus or a BMW, at 70mph the Kia is a fat less capable vehicle in the hands of the same driver.

I could go on and on about this but won't other than to say that a cars performance is equalled by its safety and road handling capabilites and in the event of an emergency situation, you will want to be in the better engineered car or have the better engineered car braking so as not to hit you."

There is an awful lot of supposition your response. Most of it nonsense.

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

Be made to ? No so sure personally.

However if I was in charge of Ford, BMW, Ferrari or whoever, I'd tell my design teams :

"The speed limit in this market, UK, is 70mph. So I really don't want to spend billions of company money engineering bonkers-level speed enhancements. It's pointless and a waste of money. We can cut excessive design costs right down, we don't need to over-engineer for speed. Apart from that, crack on with making the cars more fuel efficient and friendly to the environment, safer and value for money."

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"Definitely not lol.

Speed limits differ per country - for example 130kmh in France - derestricted on some autobahns in Germany.

Speed isn’t the dangerous killer it’s made out to be - it’s the inappropriate use of speed.

I’d rather the M25 had an 85mph speed limit and everyone got in the correct lane at the right speed than the current lane 3 drips at 45mph... "

Of course speed isn't the killer it is made out to be, it is the momentum of your internal organs in a crash that kills you. Too much energy inflicted on them, they rupture and you can bleed to death. Not to mention the physical forces that act on the body, during the crash as well.

But saying that, that faster you go, the more your body has to deal with.

over a year ago

Does this still apply if you drive a BMW? Asking fir a friend

over a year ago

"I just want the potholes fixed "

Me too.

By *oomarangMan
over a year ago

Chester

It’s 70 on motorways and duel carriageways for car and motorcycles 60 for anything over 3500kg goods carrying vehicles on fuel carriageways and 60 on single carriage ways 50 for anything over 3500kg goods carrying vehicles

By * Sophie xTV/TS
over a year ago

Derby

"And of you produce a car that can only do 70mph then it is built to a budget and that will include its braking and suspension systems and have poor tires which badly affect both its grip on the road and both its stopping capabilities and distances.

I could go on and on about this but won't other than to say that a cars performance is equalled by its safety and road handling capabilites and in the event of an emergency situation, you will want to be in the better engineered car or have the better engineered car braking so as not to hit you.

There is an awful lot of supposition your response. Most of it nonsense."

2021 kia rio 60-0mph braking distance = 119ft

2021 BMW M4 60-0mph braking distance = 98ft

The braking distance is shortened due to its higher performance braking system and tires which are there in part to deal with the extra performance aspect of the vehicle.

Now they're both doing the same speed which is under the UK national speed limit so the way they are driven has nothing to do with the outcome yet 21ft is the difference between life or death on some cases. Which would you prefer to be the one in which you travel at normal road speeds when an unforseen incident is upon you.

Maybe you should understand vehicle dynamics and physics before you decide not to accept accredited facts as they are presented to you.

over a year ago

The braking distance is shortened due to its higher performance braking system and tires which are there in part to deal with the extra performance aspect of the vehicle.

Now they're both doing the same speed which is under the UK national speed limit so the way they are driven has nothing to do with the outcome yet 21ft is the difference between life or death on some cases. Which would you prefer to be the one in which you travel at normal road speeds when an unforseen incident is upon you.

Maybe you should understand vehicle dynamics and physics before you decide not to accept accredited facts as they are presented to you."

Those are the optimum braking distances. But those distances are pointless if the driver doesn't react in time because that are not paying attention to what's happening around them.

over a year ago

Maybe you should understand vehicle dynamics and physics before you decide not to accept accredited facts as they are presented to you.

Those are the optimum braking distances. But those distances are pointless if the driver doesn't react in time because that are not paying attention to what's happening around them. "

Where’s your point. The previous comment is correct

over a year ago

No is the answer to your question.

What we need is an increase to 110mph, at least, for Dual carriageways and Motorways with a hefty fine for people who won’t move to the left, especially those in the middle lane on Motorways. It’s infuriating when someone hogs the middle lane whilst the inside lane is empty, causing a marginally faster car to move to the overtaking lane thus forcing everyone else to slow down whilst it inches past the hogger in the middle lane. Bring back public flogging for middle lane hoggers, I say!!

Thank you. I had to get that off my chest.

over a year ago

Those are the optimum braking distances. But those distances are pointless if the driver doesn't react in time because that are not paying attention to what's happening around them.

Where’s your point. The previous comment is correct "

I know the previous comment is correct. But that's in the ideal world. If you're travelling at 70mph you travel 102 feet per second, so if you are distracted for two seconds you've travelled over half the length of a 100m running track or over 3 cricket pitches before you're going to react.

over a year ago

"No is the answer to your question.

What we need is an increase to 110mph, at least, for Dual carriageways and Motorways with a hefty fine for people who won’t move to the left, especially those in the middle lane on Motorways. It’s infuriating when someone hogs the middle lane whilst the inside lane is empty, causing a marginally faster car to move to the overtaking lane thus forcing everyone else to slow down whilst it inches past the hogger in the middle lane. Bring back public flogging for middle lane hoggers, I say!!

Thank you. I had to get that off my chest."

110 mph. Sure good idea

over a year ago

Whilst I agree with your sentiments regarding middle lane hoggers, and I know some police forces are enforcing it more strictly, there's not enough police to clamp down on everyone.

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

The police were supposed to be cracking down on these middle lane morons but I wonder how many have been prosecuted in the past 5 years? Less than 50 I'd guess?

over a year ago

110 mph. Sure good idea "

I’ll presume that is sarcastic wit with an eye-roll. Relax chum. I was half joking but I will admit that whilst driving in the middle of the night, as I like to do as it’s more tranquil to drive with no traffic, I have, inadvertently, found myself exceeding that speed before I set the cruise control at about 80mph. It is easily done.

over a year ago

110 mph. Sure good idea

I’ll presume that is sarcastic wit with an eye-roll. Relax chum. I was half joking but I will admit that whilst driving in the middle of the night, as I like to do as it’s more tranquil to drive with no traffic, I have, inadvertently, found myself exceeding that speed before I set the cruise control at about 80mph. It is easily done."

So you don’t have a point

over a year ago

Whilst I agree with your sentiments regarding middle lane hoggers, and I know some police forces are enforcing it more strictly, there's not enough police to clamp down on everyone."

I’ve been living abroad for the past 20+ years. I had no idea they were going to do that. Bravo. At least they acknowledge that it’s an issue. Before I left Britain, the thinking was that they weren’t doing anything wrong.

Drones, that is the future. Deploy them en masse to follow vehicles for a particular distance, with algorithms to calculate traffic around a car in the middle lane. If it is shown that they have blocked vehicles in the overtaking lane for a prolonged period whilst the inside lane was empty....blah blah blah. You get the idea.

over a year ago

110 mph. Sure good idea

I’ll presume that is sarcastic wit with an eye-roll. Relax chum. I was half joking but I will admit that whilst driving in the middle of the night, as I like to do as it’s more tranquil to drive with no traffic, I have, inadvertently, found myself exceeding that speed before I set the cruise control at about 80mph. It is easily done.

So you don’t have a point"

Made it, you didn’t and needn’t agree, moving on. Good morning to you

over a year ago

110 mph. Sure good idea

So you don’t have a point

Made it, you didn’t and needn’t agree, moving on. Good morning to you"

Oh my bad...where’s your point then

By *xtrafun4youMan
over a year ago

Dunstable

110 mph. Sure good idea "

70 is just the undertaking speed limit. Lol as 98% Of the bmw and audi have no lane discipline. Hehe gets the popcorn and sits back.

over a year ago

I know the previous comment is correct. But that's in the ideal world. If you're travelling at 70mph you travel 102 feet per second, so if you are distracted for two seconds you've travelled over half the length of a 100m running track or over 3 cricket pitches before you're going to react. "

I agree. Technically it is correct, but the braking systems of modern cars are far superior to those when the Highway Code gave us the thinking and stopping distances. Back then at 60mph, it allows 180ft to stop with a total distance of 240ft with the thinking time meaning if people drove with due care and attention, any single, modern car far exceeds what the Highway Code deemed to be safe and completely negates the Kia vs BMW argument as they’re both far superior to any car from even 20 years ago

The key here being driving with due care and attention. Leaving large gaps, not tailgating etc.

over a year ago

I know the previous comment is correct. But that's in the ideal world. If you're travelling at 70mph you travel 102 feet per second, so if you are distracted for two seconds you've travelled over half the length of a 100m running track or over 3 cricket pitches before you're going to react.

I agree. Technically it is correct, but the braking systems of modern cars are far superior to those when the Highway Code gave us the thinking and stopping distances. Back then at 60mph, it allows 180ft to stop with a total distance of 240ft with the thinking time meaning if people drove with due care and attention, any single, modern car far exceeds what the Highway Code deemed to be safe and completely negates the Kia vs BMW argument as they’re both far superior to any car from even 20 years ago

The key here being driving with due care and attention. Leaving large gaps, not tailgating etc. "

What’s that hot to do with the speed limit

over a year ago

The key here being driving with due care and attention. Leaving large gaps, not tailgating etc.

What’s that hot to do with the speed limit "

Conclusion as I read it: it is possible close the gap or increase the speed limit, thus increase traffic flow.

By *asques and boxersCouple
over a year ago

Ashford and dept16

I believe they tried a reduced speed limit here of 50 mph there were more accidents.

Proper use of lanes and car distancing makes more sense on motor ways two lanes minimum speed 60 max 80. Weather reduction of max speed to 70.

No use of outside lane apart from overtaking, as soon as past move back to the inside lane. The middle lane same rules apply.

Heard a dutch guy describe english drivers as fast lane sleepers.

Says it all really.

over a year ago

What’s that hot to do with the speed limit "

If you can’t work it out, I’ve not got the crayons or time to draw it out

By *aptain PeteMan
over a year ago

stamford

I think the speed limits are fine. It's more the drivers who need to open their eyes and concentrate on the road and surrounding.

over a year ago

I've always thought that about cars, why make them so they can go over the maximum speed limit if we're not supposed to exceed that?

Apart from racing cars etc obviously.

Her x

over a year ago

Maybe you should understand vehicle dynamics and physics before you decide not to accept accredited facts as they are presented to you."

You miss the point entirely.

Those examples maybe correct but the op was a question on the mandatory regulation of a motor vehicle propensity to exceed the maximum speed limit.

Of course different cars have different performance characteristics. I dare say a 1995 ford escort would be a lot less safer than a shiny new BMW in all aspects.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

No. Different countries have varied limits, so no. If a change is made, the consumer pays for it.

I think self driving cars will become the norm, so that we can't complain about bad drivers anymore. Cars will then have 24/7 big brother surveillance to the maximum level.

AI will configure your routes, preallocating capacity, especially for the highest bidders and you will get a more function-driven travel experience

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

People die at lesser speeds.

What is to be achieved by lowering the power of the car ?

What is to be achieved by lowering the speed limit ?

It's not speed that kills. Generally, it's collision.

By *amantha TSWoman
over a year ago

Swindon

Things like the insurance black box sensors are the way to go I think. There are rare times when driving over the speed limit can be justified and is permissible in law, but not because you need the loo!

I think a higher limit should be allowed for cars, but harsher penalties for those who break the limits including delivery van drivers who pass me at 80+ in lane 2/3 when their limit is 60!

As for lane 2 hoggers.... Don't start me.....

over a year ago

Come to think of it.....if I’m driving along on the inside lane and I come up to a middle lane hogger, is it illegal for me to keep driving and pass him on the inside rather than going all the way to the overtaking lane to pass him and return to the inside lane again?

over a year ago

I'm all in favour on driving as fast as possible if the motorway is clear.

Also I think if cars were allowed to drive past schools flat out it would be a good exercise for fat kids.

If they don't make it, well that's one less burden on the NHS Inthe future

over a year ago

"People die at lesser speeds.

What is to be achieved by lowering the power of the car ?

What is to be achieved by lowering the speed limit ?

It's not speed that kills. Generally, it's collision. "

People die from falling over and grazing their heads, unfortunately.

I didn’t ask a question about lowering the National speed limit moreover limiting motor vehicles so as not to exceed the current maximum limit.

I can see a few advantages of limiting power. On the whole high powered vehicles use more energy and thus impacts the environment. Limiting the power of a motor vehicle may stop twocing of said high performance vehicles.

I posed the question after an incident on Sunday when I was on the motorway doing 75 -80 mph when I was overtaken by a car that was doing well over a 100 mph followed by the dibble in an unmarked car..........I thought what’s the point of having a National speed limit when there are those with the ability to flout it?

over a year ago

"I'm all in favour on driving as fast as possible if the motorway is clear.

Also I think if cars were allowed to drive past schools flat out it would be a good exercise for fat kids.

If they don't make it, well that's one less burden on the NHS Inthe future "

Somewhat harsh Paddy?

over a year ago

"Speed does not kill..

It's the sudden stop..."

I dare say the sudden stop and the resultant outcome is somewhat influenced by the speed the object is traveling when it comes to a rest?

Unless you have developed a new theory of physics?

By *etite_delightWoman
over a year ago

BunnyLand

there are motorways in germany where there is no speed limit so what happens if I want to drive to germany with my own car? () ()

over a year ago

"Things like the insurance black box sensors are the way to go I think. There are rare times when driving over the speed limit can be justified and is permissible in law, but not because you need the loo!

I think a higher limit should be allowed for cars, but harsher penalties for those who break the limits including delivery van drivers who pass me at 80+ in lane 2/3 when their limit is 60!

As for lane 2 hoggers.... Don't start me....."

Black box sensors are all well and good if you have a clear road and other drivers never pull out on you or force you to take evasive maneuvers.

As soon as you slam the brakes on because someone runs out into the road they sense the heavy braking and a report goes back to the insurance company and you get charged for it.

How is that fair on the driver that they get charged for something they have no control over and it was only their road awareness that prevented it from being more serious.

Its a very flawed system.

Now I do drive quickly at various times if the road and traffic allows but at others you would say I'm almost too cautious, my eyes are all over the place looking under parked cars for feet moving etc and I do advocate refresher testing for all drivers.

What is clear is that a huge lack of traffic police on the road has led to complacent drivers being in their own little bubble that stretches no further than the end of their bonnet and little consideration is given to what is going on around them....Lane huggers, passing within inches of cyclists and doing

40-50mph everywhere.

Improve the roads, improve driving standards and stop trying to use technology to raise the standards of crap drivers as its all these safety features that make people think that driving is safe, they rely on it rather than keep on top of how they themselves drive. Maybe read up on the rules of the road and how your car will actually react in differing situations.

There was a trial in Sweden I believe where they did away with road markings and a great deal of road signage and put the impetus on the driver to be aware of their surroundings instead and all road incidents dropped dramatically, its not difficult to see why when people realise that their own reactions will mean they either arrive safely or end up in hospital.

over a year ago

Anyone who thinks manufacturers need to cap the limit have never been in a situation where you need to go over the limit. Never mind other emergencies, regularly on the mway people come up your ass to the point you need to speed just to get into the slower lane to let them pass.

over a year ago

"there are motorways in germany where there is no speed limit so what happens if I want to drive to germany with my own car? () () "

How fast can you go on the autobahn? The government recommends a maximum speed on autobahns of 130 kph / 80 mph per hour, but lets drivers go as fast as they want. However in some areas the speed limits are significantly lower than "as fast as you want" and are signed to warn drivers.

Interestingly if you are in an accident on the autobahn and you exceed the government guidelines of 80mph you are liable to be prosecuted.

Having worked in Germany the autobahn accounts for small part of the motorway network. So keep of the autobahn and or go to Austria which is almost the same with a 70mph speed limit?

over a year ago

"Anyone who thinks manufacturers need to cap the limit have never been in a situation where you need to go over the limit. Never mind other emergencies, regularly on the mway people come up your ass to the point you need to speed just to get into the slower lane to let them pass. "

Not sure you've really thought through the point you're making there buddy.

If all vehicles were limited there would be no possibility of someone "coming up your ass" as you so elegantly put it.

over a year ago

"Anyone who thinks manufacturers need to cap the limit have never been in a situation where you need to go over the limit. Never mind other emergencies, regularly on the mway people come up your ass to the point you need to speed just to get into the slower lane to let them pass.

Not sure you've really thought through the point you're making there buddy.

If all vehicles were limited there would be no possibility of someone "coming up your ass" as you so elegantly put it."

If, from today, all manufactures put caps on the speed a car can go, would everyone have to hand in their cars and buy new ones? Other people would still have access to cars able to go over 70mph. Even if everyone had to buy capped cars, people would find a way around it.

over a year ago

speed limits in this country are beyond a joke, 70 maybe 80 is enough for a motorway, but the problem is the normal roads, there seems to be a race between local councils to see how many low speed limits they can put in, most of the roads around hear are now 20, i agree in some places 20 is enough, but one road around here, as i was growing up it was 60, nice wide road, no hazards, now its 20, the gov wants to get rid of cars thats obvious, hoever there isnt much alternative atm, trains are to expensive, and dont take you door to door, busses are often late(i have do use busses etc due to ilness) its the same problem, a few muppets ruin it for all of us, atm there isnt anything better at getting you from a-b than a private car,all the low speed limits and speed camers do is piss people off, but it wont change

By *ntrepid ExplorersCouple
over a year ago

Birmingham

I think any changes are probably irrelevant, as technology will keep evolving and soon enough driving will stop for most people. Just summon an Amazon Pod and let it take you wherever at whatever speed is deemed appropriate.

Seriously, is the average baby born in the country today likely to learn to drive at all?

over a year ago

Remember speed doesn't kill. It's the stopping instantly that does it.

over a year ago

"there are motorways in germany where there is no speed limit so what happens if I want to drive to germany with my own car? () () "

Most of the autobahn sadly now has a recommended top speed limit.

The A1 section doesn't because Porsche has a test centre there and drivers enter and exit the autobahn to test the cars and safety equipment.

I was fined 3000 euros there in 2007 when I was clocked going over 324kph on my superbike.

over a year ago

"there are motorways in germany where there is no speed limit so what happens if I want to drive to germany with my own car? () ()

Most of the autobahn sadly now has a recommended top speed limit.

The A1 section doesn't because Porsche has a test centre there and drivers enter and exit the autobahn to test the cars and safety equipment.

I was fined 3000 euros there in 2007 when I was clocked going over 324kph on my superbike.

"

What bike you got there buddy?

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

No they shouldn't. People may drive in Europe where speed limits are different. People are allowed to drive faster on private land. The national speed limit may change. It's not as simple as you are suggesting.

over a year ago

The national speed limit in my van with a trailer and digger on the back on the way home from a job is 75 on the up hills and 85 down the hills and I'm only allowed in the fast lane when lorries decide to overtake each other and block the other lanes up.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

"Its 60.

Well, it’s different dependant on the road and vehicle. For a car, 60 on a single carriageway and 70 on a dual carriageway "

Not if there are street lights

It can be 30 even on a dual carriageway

By *xhibitionisticvoyeurMan
over a year ago

wrexham

What about fitting vehicles with a smart limiter, so using GPS it knows where you are and what the limit is...

over a year ago

I didn’t realise its different if you drive a van

over a year ago

I want massive bull bars on trucks to be legal then anyone crossing the road with earphones in or looking at a Mobile can be punted clean out of the way.

Teach them for not paying attention

over a year ago

" I didn’t realise its different if you drive a van "
speed limits don't apply to vans

over a year ago

WHY NOT JUST A THOUGHT THIS,The first time you get caught Speeding you have to go on a speed awareness course NO CHOICE, then if you get caught a second time you have to have a telematics box fitted to every car you are insured for and insurance company notified so they can keep a check on your driving

over a year ago

"I do think cars should be limited to 75 miles, then all the jerks in their fancy cars might drive more considerably "

But some of us like going on track days, closed runways for top speed runs, driving around the Nurburgring, all places where you can go as fast as you like in a semi controlled environment.

over a year ago

"If the National speed limit is 70mph should car manufacturers be made to limit all models to not exceed that limit?

No"

Explain.

Sounds a very reasonable idea to me.

By *UCKiliketofuckMan
over a year ago

kettering

No my motorbike is a 1000 cc should be able to go 1000 mph

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

No.

What we do need are better maintained roads and better drivers.

Middle lane hoggers, tailgating and poor lane discipline are the main problems with motorway driving. These issues all result in slower overall speeds.

By *o_eye_deerMan
over a year ago

The South Near That London

" I didn’t realise its different if you drive a van speed limits don't apply to vans "

Depends on it’s GVW, over 3.5tonne (gross) they also require tachometers

over a year ago

"If the National speed limit is 70mph should car manufacturers be made to limit all models to not exceed that limit?

No.

Middle lane hoggers, tailgating and poor lane discipline are the main problems with motorway driving. These issues all result in slower overall speeds. "

Its not just about what slightly pisses you off as a driver, it's also about a multiple tonne object that kills people when driven too fast.

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

No.

Middle lane hoggers, tailgating and poor lane discipline are the main problems with motorway driving. These issues all result in slower overall speeds.

Its not just about what slightly pisses you off as a driver, it's also about a multiple tonne object that kills people when driven too fast. "

But going at speed on the motorway is very unlikely to cause an accident and kill someone 'unless' one of those things she mentioned occurs.

If everyone used lanes correctly & kept safe distances for the speeds there would be hardly any issues.

over a year ago

No.

Its not just about what slightly pisses you off as a driver, it's also about a multiple tonne object that kills people when driven too fast. "

Boeing 787 max gross weight 242 tons, max speed is 593mph and yet it doesn't kill anyone and everyone who flies in it flies on the safest form (not aircraft type) of transport there is per person travelling.

To say that speed kills as a one phrase covers all is a huge lie as this is way faster and heavier than anything on the road.

Even 200mph in a road car on the road could potentially be safe if all vehicles did that speed and the drivers were all capable of it.

The biggest problem on the road is not the vehicles, it is the drivers and rhe ever dwindling lack of driving standards we have today and speed is used to cover all of that as it is cheaper to police and grabs the biggest headlines that people will easily get behind and use to bash others with.

Speed does not kill, inappropriate speeds and driver awareness does.

By * Sophie xTV/TS
over a year ago

Derby

No.

A lorry is speed restricted for various reasons when on the road but if left unrestricted could go a lot faster, does this suddenly mean that it will kill people because its faster or could it be that driver and road user lack of awareness might be what actually causes someone to die or be maimed in an accident?

You do know that if a lorry hits you at 5mph or even lower that it could kill if the driver is distracted or not looking....it can't possibly have been speed that was the issue then could it or was his speed (under all speed limits) inappropriate for his concentration levels.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

Even 200mph in a road car on the road could potentially be safe if all vehicles did that speed and the drivers were all capable of it.

"

Hopefully not bumper to bumper.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

No.

Its not just about what slightly pisses you off as a driver, it's also about a multiple tonne object that kills people when driven too fast.

A lorry is speed restricted for various reasons when on the road but if left unrestricted could go a lot faster, does this suddenly mean that it will kill people because its faster or could it be that driver and road user lack of awareness might be what actually causes someone to die or be maimed in an accident?

You do know that if a lorry hits you at 5mph or even lower that it could kill if the driver is distracted or not looking....it can't possibly have been speed that was the issue then could it or was his speed (under all speed limits) inappropriate for his concentration levels."

Whilst I agree to a point that speed isn't "the problem", there are certainly side effects to driving fast that increase the risk.

Firstly there is the fact that you are decreasing the thinking time available to be able to respond to any hazards.

Secondly there is an increased skill level required as speed increases.

Most importantly though, is the increased forces in place should an accident occur. These will multiply the damage/injury caused.

My experience of driving is that the majority who are driving too fast "Do Not" possess the skills to do so. They all to often drive in a way as to intimidate other driver and bully them out of the way. Tailgating and poor lane discipline are very common and a lack of forward planning is all too obvious.

Cal

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"Things like the insurance black box sensors are the way to go I think. There are rare times when driving over the speed limit can be justified and is permissible in law, but not because you need the loo!

As for lane 2 hoggers.... Don't start me....."

There was talk a few years ago, all new cars will have a black box fitted to the car. It records what speed you go all the time, the gps system records the speed limits of the roads travelled. The information is downloaded automatically at an MOT or service, the points are issued a few weeks later.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

As for lane 2 hoggers.... Don't start me.....

There was talk a few years ago, all new cars will have a black box fitted to the car. It records what speed you go all the time, the gps system records the speed limits of the roads travelled. The information is downloaded automatically at an MOT or service, the points are issued a few weeks later."

It will never happen... and would be deemed unfair unless "all" cars had them.

Cal

By *eigh guyMan
over a year ago

wigan

Manchester m60 you can get above 30 !

over a year ago

The 70mph motorway speed limit was first introduced in 1965 and just like the highway code stopping distances is seriously outdated.

Technology has moved on lightyears since then and its about time out of town speed limits reflected that I think...

By *atcoupleCouple
over a year ago

Suffolk - East Anglia

"The 70mph motorway speed limit was first introduced in 1965 and just like the highway code stopping distances is seriously outdated.

Technology has moved on lightyears since then and its about time out of town speed limits reflected that I think..."

Quite agree. The 70 mph limit was also introduced by a minister of transport who couldn't even drive!

Roads and cars have improved enormously since and the NSL should be 85 mph on motorways/dual carriageways

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

It's 60 ..

over a year ago

There's a speed limit

over a year ago

"It's 60 ..

"

It’s 70mph

over a year ago

As someone who likes to do road trips to other countries, where limits are different (eg Germany), I don't think it's quite as simple as limiting the speed based on the country where you bought your car.

By *iamond coupleCouple
over a year ago

leeds

" I didn’t realise its different if you drive a van speed limits don't apply to vans "

National speed limits for vans are....

Motorway. 70mph

Dual carriageway. 60mph

Single carriage way. 50mph

Built up areas (denoted by street lights) 30mph

over a year ago

Dutch traffic engineer Hans Monderman had the idea of 'Shared Space' on roads. Remove all 'clutter' (traffic lights, lines, signs etc.) and force people to police themselves through the use of uncertainty - effectively you could also not have a speed limit.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"It's 60 ..

"

The National Speed Limit for cars is:

- 30mph in a built up area

- 60mph on a single carriageway road

- 70mph on a Dual Carriageway road

- 70mph on a Motorway

Cal

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

" I didn’t realise its different if you drive a van speed limits don't apply to vans

Motorway. 70mph

Dual carriageway. 60mph

Built up areas (denoted by street lights) 30mph"

Also... if there is a sign with a speed limit in numbers, this applies to ALL vehicles. That means that if a roadside say 60 on a single carriageway, lorries & vans can also travel at 60mph

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

The chances of increasing speed limits are zero at the moment, due to the fact that higher speeds require more energy due to increased air resistance, obviously that means higher emissions too.

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

" I didn’t realise its different if you drive a van speed limits don't apply to vans

Motorway. 70mph

Dual carriageway. 60mph

Built up areas (denoted by street lights) 30mph"

Unless you are driving a white van and then all rules of the road don't apply. They can drive at any speed they want, they can use mobile phones whilst driving and eating a sausage roll, they do not need to use rear view mirrors at any time, Lane discipline rules on roundabouts and any other public highway dont apply and they can park on double yellow lines, pedestrian crossings, across driveways and pretty much anywhere they want. Oh and in white van world motorcycles are completely invisible

By *ornycpl2000Couple
over a year ago

Swansea

Motorway. 70mph

Dual carriageway. 60mph

Built up areas (denoted by street lights) 30mph

Also... if there is a sign with a speed limit in numbers, this applies to ALL vehicles. That means that if a roadside say 60 on a single carriageway, lorries & vans can also travel at 60mph "

The speed limit is different for different vehicles, a lot van drivers seem to think they are allowed to drive the same speed as a car But, it’s not correct 70mph on motorways, 60 on duel carriageways, 50 on single carriageways, same at HGVs but you will find most UK lorry’s are convened to 56mph or less, but a mini bus which can weigh more then some vans can drive to national speed limit, a lot of van drivers have been caught out by the law, I have been caught speeding in a lorry early one morning doing 53mph in a 60 zone.

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

No but you can drive as careful as you want to. Just incase your not sure the accelerator varies the speed you go so press it as little as you want.

By *azpiz1Man
over a year ago

Camberley

With proper driving, it's possible to make good progress at legal speeds

By *oingMan
over a year ago

co. antrim

Imagine attempting an overtake with a limited top speed of 70...absolutely ridiculous!

Speed is a contributing factor but not the main issue which is usually driver awareness and lack thereof

over a year ago

There should be no speed limit if you crash it’s your fault lol

I

By *utterypopcornCouple
over a year ago

oxford

Are not motorways the safest roads?? And the highest speeds

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Imagine attempting an overtake with a limited top speed of 70...absolutely ridiculous!

Speed is a contributing factor but not the main issue which is usually driver awareness and lack thereof "

It's still speeding when you're overtaking, you're not supposed to exceed 70 just to overtake.

If cars were limited to 70, you would still be able to overtake those going slower

over a year ago

and speed is the reason i had to stop testing bikes on track.

age. you cannot defeat it. you start to lose seconds of pace and ability but the brain tells you that your still fast enough.

you make mistakes, terrible dangerous ones because you still want to achieve what the 18 year olds are doing.

reactions just go suddenly like off a cliff and on bikes its often fatal.

now on the road i only ride a small capacity motorbike. small enough, good enough and i ride safely within limits because if you look at my body you'll see the damage and scars crashing has done to it and i just havent got the reactions like i did in my teens.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Are not motorways the safest roads?? And the highest speeds "

Motorways are not safer because they are faster, they are safer because everyone is going in the same direction, nobody pulls out of junctions into the road, nobody is turning right, and all of the junctions are accessed via slip roads preventing the need to slow down on the carriageway...

They would be even safer if people could use them properly.

Cal

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"There should be no speed limit if you crash it’s your fault lol

I"

What about the other people who are effected by the crash, most crashes are not just one car crashing... it generally crashes into something else.

over a year ago

To address the question posed in this thread, no, the manufacturers should not be made to limit it. My simple reasoning is that there are places in the World where I can break the law without much consequences should I choose to do so. Of course, I’ll be berated for it but what can I say, I’m irresponsible and a child sometimes.

I once drive from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, a journey of about 5 hours on the motorway under normal driving conditions. However, I set out at midnight precisely because there would be almost no traffic. There is one stretch that lasts several miles, which is fairly straight, is 5 lanes wide on each side, as brightly lit as it would be during the day and at the time I was on it, almost entirely empty. I belted along it at 210 kph (130 mph) and it was exhilarating!! I would not have been able to do that with a limit set by the manufacturer.

As for being caught and fined...let’s just say you should prepare your licence with a 50 tied to it by a rubber band. If it came back sans 50, you’re in the clear.

over a year ago

I

What about the other people who are effected by the crash, most crashes are not just one car crashing... it generally crashes into something else."

I was being ironic

over a year ago

I

What about the other people who are effected by the crash, most crashes are not just one car crashing... it generally crashes into something else.

I was being ironic "

You should have tried harder

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

You'll always have a slight top speed variation of maybe 1 or 2 mph. I could see a lot of drivers cutting other drivers up as the cut in too early after spending the last 5 mins foot to the floor overtaking. Either that or too many cars getting to closer to the car in front for too long as they slowly get close enough to over take.

By *isexycouple5Couple
over a year ago

Looe

"Its 60."

Nope

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

Needs increasing should be 90 on motorways and dual carriageways during non busy times. I feel safer at 90 than 70. Faster reaction.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"The 70mph motorway speed limit was first introduced in 1965 and just like the highway code stopping distances is seriously outdated.

Technology has moved on lightyears since then and its about time out of town speed limits reflected that I think..."

...and in 1965 there were far fewer vehicles on the motorway

By *oingMan
over a year ago

co. antrim

"Imagine attempting an overtake with a limited top speed of 70...absolutely ridiculous!

Speed is a contributing factor but not the main issue which is usually driver awareness and lack thereof

It's still speeding when you're overtaking, you're not supposed to exceed 70 just to overtake.

If cars were limited to 70, you would still be able to overtake those going slower "

I’d prefer to overtake at a higher speed so that I can safely be back on the correct side of the road and adjust my speed to the legal and safe conditions for that road rather than crawl past like two lorries on a motorway.

over a year ago

Perhaps look at German autobahn speed limits?

over a year ago

Upgrade the brakes on the Kia to Brembo or APR and it wold stop faster than the M3. Whilst high(er) performance do tend to have these benefits, they can also be applied to slower cars.

Moot point anyway as the shift to EVs will change the game, They are even faster (under the limit).

In terms of opinion I say no. I’d rather the limit is increased. I’ll accept the risks.

over a year ago

Upgrade the brakes on the Kia to Brembo or APR and it wold stop faster than the M3. Whilst high(er) performance do tend to have these benefits, they can also be applied to slower cars.

Moot point anyway as the shift to EVs will change the game, They are even faster (under the limit).

In terms of opinion I say no. I’d rather the limit is increased. I’ll accept the risks. "

Breaking distance still applies.

over a year ago

If someone undertakes you, you are clearly in the wrong lane. Take the hint and fucking move over, better still get off the road.

By *arakiss12TV/TS
over a year ago

Bedford

I say it should be 72 mph as 1972 was my favourite year. Oh and the manufacturers should stop producing silver cars too.

over a year ago

"If someone undertakes you, you are clearly in the wrong lane. Take the hint and fucking move over, better still get off the road."

This! Totally agree

over a year ago

With all the congestion (assuming it returns post covid) and the smart motorways then it is rather a moot point. Gone are the days where you can trundle along at 99.9 for miles and miles to make some time.

over a year ago

"With all the congestion (assuming it returns post covid) and the smart motorways then it is rather a moot point. Gone are the days where you can trundle along at 99.9 for miles and miles to make some time.

"

If you’re brave enough you still can. If the signs on the smart motorway done display a speed restriction they are turned of and legally cannot capture your speed

over a year ago

"With all the congestion (assuming it returns post covid) and the smart motorways then it is rather a moot point. Gone are the days where you can trundle along at 99.9 for miles and miles to make some time.

If you’re brave enough you still can. If the signs on the smart motorway done display a speed restriction they are turned of and legally cannot capture your speed"

Talking more about practical possibility. If everyone else is clogging at the ‘limit’ of the road it becomes harder to make progress without a lot of weaving which can be a but dicey. Best keep the 10 second cars on the track these days.

over a year ago

If you’re brave enough you still can. If the signs on the smart motorway done display a speed restriction they are turned of and legally cannot capture your speed

Talking more about practical possibility. If everyone else is clogging at the ‘limit’ of the road it becomes harder to make progress without a lot of weaving which can be a but dicey. Best keep the 10 second cars on the track these days. "

Eerrrmmmmm...sure

Post new Message to Thread