Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Product Placement Vandalism

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Apparently many old classic films will have product placement like Cola etc digitally placed in some scenes. Is this vandalism?

It is not the work of the original director...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Noooooo

Leave them alone.

They are classic for a reason

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

If we can live after the Star Wars special editions I am sure this will be fine.

As long as they don’t go ruining the story (Han shot first)!

By *inkyfilthymindMan
over a year ago

Berks / Heathrow

"If we can live after the Star Wars special editions I am sure this will be fine.

As long as they don’t go ruining the story (Han shot first)!"

I agree with the sentiment. But I don’t think I can survive Coke branded lightsabers vs Pepsi branded help for Vader

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

What benefits do I as the viewer get from seeing a Coca Cola bottle placed in Casablanca ? Maybe Rick drinking from it whilst not saying ‘play it again Sam’

Keep the films as they are is surely the obvious answer

By *inkyfilthymindMan
over a year ago

Berks / Heathrow

"If we can live after the Star Wars special editions I am sure this will be fine.

As long as they don’t go ruining the story (Han shot first)!

I agree with the sentiment. But I don’t think I can survive Coke branded lightsabers vs Pepsi branded help for Vader"

*Helmet - weird auto correct

over a year ago

i actually thought it was an entire person / teams job to disguise brands in movies

to be honest i dont even notice product placement in tv shows so i don’t see the big deal, i guess they think it will work as subliminal advertising though and be charging big bucks for it

over a year ago

The best product placement would have been cigarettes in Madmen. Not sure if they’re allowed to do that with cigarettes though.

It is just daft to digitally put product placement into old movies or shows in my opinion. Leave them alone, focus on the new shows and TV.

over a year ago

Lovehoney deliveries during 50 Shades?

A lot of films are a snapshot of society at the time and whilst it may seem harmless enough to retrospectively product place, it could well lead to big investors holding off on a film then coughing up dough for product placement if it is a success.

Were does it end? Deleting and substituting characters to reflect what is acceptable now?

I know that is two steps to the right of the question but one thing generally leads to another.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

They will be putting Jack Daniels on Sam's piano in Casablanca.. then they will place a product like a Nike T shirt on Buster Keaton in an age were they not invented. Essex Tom is really furious about this..

over a year ago

"They will be putting Jack Daniels on Sam's piano in Casablanca.. then they will place a product like a Nike T shirt on Buster Keaton in an age were they not invented. Essex Tom is really furious about this.. "

i think there are probably more dramatic problems to get furious about than a branded tshirt and bottle of jack

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"They will be putting Jack Daniels on Sam's piano in Casablanca.. then they will place a product like a Nike T shirt on Buster Keaton in an age were they not invented. Essex Tom is really furious about this..

i think there are probably more dramatic problems to get furious about than a branded tshirt and bottle of jack "

Not in my world...

Post new Message to Thread