Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dyslexia and FAB

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

anyone else feel that having dyslexia on this site is a massive disadvantage. It’s difficult to get your personality across when you’re trying to construct a sentence as best you can without looking like a nob.

I found that it has cause the end of a few opportunities for me unfortunately.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Some people in here, especially in the forums, can be very judgmental when it comes to correct sentence structure and spelling.... To the point where it kind of makes them look like dicks some of the time. This could be due to dyslexia or having English as your second language or even just an over relience on text speak.

For me, as long as I can understand it get the gist of what you are saying it doesn't bother me that much.

By *ablo minibar123Woman
over a year ago

It shouldn't, but it will undoubtedly make things more if a challenge for you, I'm sorry to say.

If people have issues with the way you write, even after explaining why, then they probably aren't the kind of people you would want to meet anyway.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Nope not at all because spell check and auto correct and proof reading are only tools but they certainly help me a lot even though I still make mistakes.

Best of luck op or should I put po!!!!!

T

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I'm dyslexic. It mostly presents in me putting words in the wrong order or putting double words by accident, that sort of thing. There are certain words though that just never compute in my head no matter how many times I try to learn to spell it. I mostly don't find it an issue in the forums but it is frustrating when people take cheap digs about spelling or grammar rather than actually addressing the point.

over a year ago

"Some people in here, especially in the forums, can be very judgmental when it comes to correct sentence structure and spelling.... To the point where it kind of makes them look like dicks some of the time. This could be due to dyslexia or having English as your second language or even just an over relience on text speak.

For me, as long as I can understand it get the gist of what you are saying it doesn't bother me that much. "

That’s refreshing to hear thanks and english is my second language, welsh being my first.

over a year ago

"I'm dyslexic. It mostly presents in me putting words in the wrong order or putting double words by accident, that sort of thing. There are certain words though that just never compute in my head no matter how many times I try to learn to spell it. I mostly don't find it an issue in the forums but it is frustrating when people take cheap digs about spelling or grammar rather than actually addressing the point."

I know what you mean! Some words i will forever get wrong! I always have to use voice recognition when spelling some words, georgus (without siri) gorgeous (with siri). It just wont stick in my head.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I'm also dyslexic and I find it does hamper chatting on line. Just because it takes me longer to reply. And sometimes I get all muddled up but it happens if it bothers someone that much they aren't for me.

By *iddlesticksMan
over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

"anyone else feel that having dyslexia on this site is a massive disadvantage. It’s difficult to get your personality across when you’re trying to construct a sentence as best you can without looking like a nob.

I found that it has cause the end of a few opportunities for me unfortunately."

I understand your difficulties. I think it’s true for people whose first language isn’t English. I try to look at the intent of the post rather than the spelling. How you write is no indication of who you are, what you write is.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

I joined BAF ...it was very disappointing

over a year ago

^haha. (Above)

Just say what you need to say, hope you phone corrects the spelling. That’s what I do.

Those that won’t talk to you because you spelt something wrong are not worth meeting mate.

over a year ago

"I joined BAF ...it was very disappointing "

It sounds as though you where BAFfled?

By *ost SockMan
over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

"anyone else feel that having dyslexia on this site is a massive disadvantage. It’s difficult to get your personality across when you’re trying to construct a sentence as best you can without looking like a nob.

Shw mae!

I’ve worked with people with dyslexia for years, so have seen how it can affect opportunities.

I would try to not get hung up on it here, though. Firstly - if you write like you write in your post, there’ll be no problems. It’s well-written, clear and, importantly, you use paragraphs. Lots of people don’t bother with the latter, and it makes reading a lot hard for lots of people (including me)!

Also, there’s a lot of non-dyslexic guys who struggle too. I think it’s a little bit risky if you find the same and you attribute it all to dyslexia. That’s simply because it may ramp up your frustration with the condition.

The key is to let your personality shine through and be patient. Anyone decent will understand if you explain you’re dyslexia to them.

Pob lwc i chi

over a year ago

Op

I feel your pain. A few thoughts:

1. Have you tried typing it into Microsoft word

(or something similar) first and doing a spell and grammar check. That should sort it most times.

2. Maybe write a note at the top of a message saying: 'excuse any poor spelling, grammar and typos. I am dyslexic, but it doesn't stop me hitting the spot when the fun starts'

3. Find a fab buddy. Someone on here that you can run messages by. I am happy to review a couple for you, though one of the ladies would probably do a better job.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My brother's very dyslexic. He struggles to read too. I have no problem understanding his text messages but I'm very careful what I write to him because I'm conscious that he'll have problems with some words.

Loads of people understand that not everyone is the same. Some don't but I'm not sure what can be done about that.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

"I joined BAF ...it was very disappointing

It sounds as though you where BAFfled? "

over a year ago

If it means you won't meet someone you're not compatible with that's a good thing surely.

Spelling grinds on me, like your you're their they're etc. But that's my problem not anyone else's. It wouldn't put me off meeting someone if we got on.

over a year ago

Shw mae!

I’ve worked with people with dyslexia for years, so have seen how it can affect opportunities.

I would try to not get hung up on it here, though. Firstly - if you write like you write in your post, there’ll be no problems. It’s well-written, clear and, importantly, you use paragraphs. Lots of people don’t bother with the latter, and it makes reading a lot hard for lots of people (including me)!

Also, there’s a lot of non-dyslexic guys who struggle too. I think it’s a little bit risky if you find the same and you attribute it all to dyslexia. That’s simply because it may ramp up your frustration with the condition.

The key is to let your personality shine through and be patient. Anyone decent will understand if you explain you’re dyslexia to them.

Pob lwc i chi "

Bore da, diolch am dy geiriau.

It is a lot easier to read when there are paragraphs.

Another point is, as a man on here we’re 10 a penny! To make a good first impression its got to be good so any miss understanding/wrong words used will put you on the back foot straight away.

over a year ago

"I joined BAF ...it was very disappointing

It sounds as though you where BAFfled? "

It took all my thinking power for that one

By *idewillyMan
over a year ago

chester

Ive dyslexia Its been a pain in my life when it come to many a job especially when i was a graphic designer all the type i had to deal with and at uni i went for tests i was borderline And didn't want to take it further For the stigma but i did come home with a first in design and great at logic maths etc but writing a dissertation was a complete nightmare but yes you do get complete Ignorant english language police patrols on here that think because the sentence you Put together doesn't have punctuation or word correctly the right way round etc then you are mmm are maybe not bright Or up to their standard which is a load off pish to be honest some of the brightest most creative people in the world have dyslexia So i just ignore the people who look down much nicer to meet people who don't judge on a disability But judge on who you are...anyhow what they forget it that they aren't perfect Either...oh and i had to do a few spell checks while writing this And i know these some capital letters in the text which shouldn't be there And no punctuation ....please see me after lesson

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

My husband is dyslexic and some people may struggle with what he types but I know exactly what he means .As long as I can understand the gist of it then it’s fine.

What someone types is a lot more important to me than the odd spelling or grammar mistake.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

In my experience (Mr) not too much on here (maybe more so in other aspects of life). I am dyslexic and have make numerous errors but when as single male on here it never seemed to set me back much. Despite spelling/grammar mistakes people can generally still read and understand your message. The brain is very good at decoding things. Now there are those on here who are dead set against bad spelling/grammar. Sometimes it even says in their profile. Ignorantly (and maybe conversely ironically) they seem to think bad spelling/grammar = lake of intelligence or culture. Which is cool if that's their bag. Just remember your not missing out on anyone (however hot) who care more about your spelling/grammar than the content of your words.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

One of my friends has it and he told me upfront so we have more phone conversations than text ones, if you like each other you work with each other

over a year ago

Coventry

"Nope not at all because spell check and auto correct and proof reading are only tools but they certainly help me a lot even though I still make mistakes.

T"

To be fair I proof read and things still fall though the net. Also sometimes spell check can be your enemy. You spell the word wrong, it gives you the word it thinks you want. You see the suggestion and it looks right. You change the word and it turns out to be a word meaning something completely different. When in doubt I refer to Google. But that is one of my biggest hates about dyslexia that to write something accurately with correct spelling it takes about four time as long as other people.

over a year ago

I have dyslexia I dont allow it to be a barrier, I also have something called I dont give a fuck, if there are spelling errors or grammatical errors that someone can judge....

But no reason for it to be a hindering effect, I find the biggest struggle is keeping uo with a fast moving thread, so I stay away from them or just enjoy reading what others say on them

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Ive dyslexia Its been a pain in my life when it come to many a job especially when i was a graphic designer all the type i had to deal with and at uni i went for tests i was borderline And didn't want to take it further For the stigma but i did come home with a first in design and great at logic maths etc but writing a dissertation was a complete nightmare but yes you do get complete Ignorant english language police patrols on here that think because the sentence you Put together doesn't have punctuation or word correctly the right way round etc then you are mmm are maybe not bright Or up to their standard which is a load off pish to be honest some of the brightest most creative people in the world have dyslexia So i just ignore the people who look down much nicer to meet people who don't judge on a disability But judge on who you are...anyhow what they forget it that they aren't perfect Either...oh and i had to do a few spell checks while writing this And i know these some capital letters in the text which shouldn't be there And no punctuation ....please see me after lesson "

I also find it annoying when it's assumed you're thick because you're dyslexic. I was very gifted in Maths and half my A Level Physics class were dyslexic. We just have talents in different areas to those good at spelling and grammar.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Nope not at all because spell check and auto correct and proof reading are only tools but they certainly help me a lot even though I still make mistakes.

T

To be fair I proof read and things still fall though the net. Also sometimes spell check can be your enemy. You spell the word wrong, it gives you the word it thinks you want. You see the suggestion and it looks right. You change the word and it turns out to be a word meaning something completely different. When in doubt I refer to Google. But that is one of my biggest hates about dyslexia that to write something accurately with correct spelling it takes about four time as long as other people."

Yep! And also why should we when it's casual communication? I absolutely will for things for work or a job application but not for typing messages casually online. If someone can understand what I'm saying, that's all that matters to me. I don't need perfect spelling and grammar on here and to be honest I would rather leave them in if it puts people off as I don't want every interaction with someone to feel like I'm under that kind of scrutiny.

By *ost SockMan
over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

Shw mae!

Pob lwc i chi

Bore da, diolch am dy geiriau.

It is a lot easier to read when there are paragraphs.

Another point is, as a man on here we’re 10 a penny! To make a good first impression its got to be good so any miss understanding/wrong words used will put you on the back foot straight away. "

Dim probs, mae’n bwysig i trio helpu pan mae’n posib

There’s actually a point to me writing some bits in Welsh. Besides the fact it’s amazing, it shows a bit of respect that it’s your first language (it’s my second) and makes my brain work harder. The latter gives me a better understanding of your situation.

I’m glad we agree on paragraphs. My living revolved around reading other people’s written efforts for years. I could cope fine with errors in spelling, grammar etc, but text without paragraphs was the biggest impediment to getting absorbed in their work.

Perhaps a short “just to let you know....” sentence in a message might be an idea. If they take umbrage at that, they’re not the kind of person to spend time with anyway.

over a year ago

Coventry

T

To be fair I proof read and things still fall though the net. Also sometimes spell check can be your enemy. You spell the word wrong, it gives you the word it thinks you want. You see the suggestion and it looks right. You change the word and it turns out to be a word meaning something completely different. When in doubt I refer to Google. But that is one of my biggest hates about dyslexia that to write something accurately with correct spelling it takes about four time as long as other people.

Yep! And also why should we when it's casual communication? I absolutely will for things for work or a job application but not for typing messages casually online. If someone can understand what I'm saying, that's all that matters to me. I don't need perfect spelling and grammar on here and to be honest I would rather leave them in if it puts people off as I don't want every interaction with someone to feel like I'm under that kind of scrutiny. "

And thats why I don't generally. People can read full well what your say dipite the errors. If the spelling bothers them more than the content of what you have to say that's their problem. As to interview and formal work then you need to play the game, that I life and we all have areas of disadvantage where we have to put a bit more in than others. But always get someone else to proof read something if it's important because often I'm blind to the errors.

By * Sophie xTV/TS
over a year ago

Derby

Dyslexia and language barriers im fine with as you can often sense that there is something there although a couple on this thread have surprised me by saying they're dyslexic, I would never have known

The one that does get to me though is text speak, I find it odd when as others have said phones now all spell check and we are not restricted by how many letters are in a text or message so if I have to sit and decipher their message it will just as likely get deleted.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Dyslexia shouldn't be a problem on fab ..or anywhere else for that matter...it's a well documented condition and every one should be aware that sufferers are not less intelligent or lacking in some way....who was the bastard who came up with the name dyslexia in the first place ?

By *nlyfun3Woman
over a year ago

NEAR Berkhamsted,Herts

Op have you tried using your phone to dictate messages as much quicker saying them than writing them.

As for the BAF message I always find that SoH hard as I don't find that funny

As for people thinking dyslexics are stupid, very incorrect. The majority have higher IQs just need to learn different thought processes to come to the answers. An each dyslexic may use different approaches due to their own dyslexia.

My biggest issue is people who say they have it when they haven't got it. Its personnal not an excuse for others

over a year ago

I’m pretty dyslexic and I do t think it’s stopped me. OP, do you do much reading/writing? Ive found the more I did the better I have become at expressing myself with the written word.

By *ollydoesWoman
over a year ago

Shangri-La

I don't think being dyslexic has put me at any real disadvantage here. I can take a while to respond to messages sometimes as I always have to go Google words that I can't spell, or see a word but can't understand what it says but after looking it up it turns I know what it means. Hear it alit when people say to use auto correct or spell check but when auto correct then throws up 4 words to chose from. It's like I can't use a normal dictionary properly. Also auto correct can replace word with what you think are right but turn out to be anything but. Like the time I tried to spell circumstances in an email to some customers, but oh no auto correct thought it much better to send.. " under the current circumcision" and also to try and order 300 Muslim bags from a wholesaler..when I muslin

over a year ago

I’ve only read the first few posts in this thread and a few have said they are dyslexic. I can’t tell that they are at all. It’s all in perfect English.

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

I personally find it difficult to avoid looking like a knob even without being dyslexic.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

I'm a former teacher so I'm afraid I do notice mistakes, i can't help it. But I try not to judge especially if they have told me that they are dyslexic.

over a year ago

I'm dyslexic too, I now love it because it's me. I put words in that are not for that sentence.

I also miss words out but my mind says it's there.

If I do a lot of reading the letters jump off the page andasentencedonthavegaps.

Simple words are the worst like then, there and their or when, where and were we work better with words like cat because we think of pictures and not words.

If I can't spell a word I try to think of another one but it may not read as good.

I'M MUCH HAPPIER READING AND WRITING IN CAPITOL LETTERS.

That's because letters like oauec all look the same but in caps OAUEC look different.

I love reading to my granddaughters and have now found reading in rhymes is so much easier for me.

I still to this day can not do letters or essays because of how I was treated at school, I feel sick and start having panic attacks.

I love making cards but hate writing in them because my writing looks like a spider as done it. Lots of information in this for those that don't understand it.

Post new Message to Thread