Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

European super league

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Manchester born a bread utd fan utterly shameful by the club i love and other clubs involved spitting in face of those who played for shirt and more importantly my fellow supporters of not just my club but others working class game taken over by greedy selfish bastards sorry had to have rant on it folks have good Sunday lol

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What have I missed?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Been an arsenal fan all my life but wont be following it if it goes ahead.its ripping the life and soul out of the game to make billionairres richer

Reply privately

over a year ago

We don't have so much of this problem in the lower leagues.

Good days out with reasonable prices.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Which teams invited to join this super league anyone know apparently there is six English teams

Reply privately

over a year ago

Glad to see the big German and French teams aren't so selfish and greedy.

Reply privately

By *alclmMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I hope not.

They will fuck the Premier league up big time.

I can't believe that same off them they are up for it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Which teams invited to join this super league anyone know apparently there is six English teams "

Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Inter, AC, Juve, Real, Barca and Athletico

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Glad to see the big German and French teams aren't so selfish and greedy."

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Liverpool supporter for over fifty years, if this goes ahead will turn my back on them..

Shame on them all for looking at doing this..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Which teams invited to join this super league anyone know apparently there is six English teams

Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Inter, AC, Juve, Real, Barca and Athletico"

Have you missed Southend Utd off the list by mistake????

It’s progress but not to my liking!!!!

T

Reply privately

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

Simple. Don't watch them, don't subscribe and don't bother to turn up to watch them. Basically, who the hell cares.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I’ve been a Liverpool supporter since 1977 st etienne match this league will kill our premiership and this makes my blood boil

Reply privately

By *udistcpl1Couple
over a year ago

Wirral

Let them kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. That's my view.

Reply privately

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Another LFC fan prepared to walk away over this.

Reply privately

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Glad to see the big German and French teams aren't so selfish and greedy."
or Rangers & Celtic oh wait .....

Reply privately

over a year ago

I can’t see it happening. All the TV revenue in the world won’t make up for the lack of atmosphere in empty stadia all over Europe (when we are allowed back).

Gary Neville has summed it up perfectly today. We need to take back ownership of the game.

I’d like to say that all of you who say you will turn your back on your clubs are welcome at Elland Road, but we all know that’s not true

Reply privately

over a year ago

trouble is everyone will say 'i wont watch the games' etc but you will. people cant help themselves they love to be part of something.

if it all goes ahead you can bet sky, bt and everyone else will want to be a part of it and all you subscribers are guilty because you funded the greed that is the premier league in the first place by making sky etc what it is today.

you helped to make it possible to have these clubs secure their funding through tv so the fans are no longer needed. empty stadiums for a year have proved that these clubs dont need bums on seats to survive. fans mean nothing to them.

players dont give a fuck, they dont care who they play for just about the money they spend more time rolling on the grass than kicking the ball.

and what will happen if it goes ahead and clubs decide later it isnt for them.

they will be welcomed back straight into the premier league and those in lower leagues wont get promoted because the premier league will see the returning clubs as a draw for future tv contracts.

funny how bayern munich one of the biggest clubs have said no to it.

you created this monster by letting tv control you and making you pay top dollar for it all.

Reply privately

By *heMightySpud69Man
over a year ago

Milton keynes

Liverpool fan here, and not interested in this at all. Playing the big European teams is a big night because it doesn't happen all the time. It'll end up being an exhibition league

Reply privately

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

German clubs would have issues joining, due to club ownership rules over there.

Reply privately

By *asilyled1Man
over a year ago

ogmore valley

Liverpool fan here.have a feeling it will happen one day,really hope not. Pure greed by all clubs involved.

Reply privately

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

I personally think it’s a ploy to force UEFA into transforming the champions league into one big league guaranteeing more games and revenue for the clubs in the competition.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I am an arsenal fan.... absolutely disgusted!!!! It doesn’t feel like my club anymore, and its nothing but a cash grab!!! The pride i took in being in the champions league year after year is that we earned our way in... even if that meant finishing 4th in the best league in the world year after year.....

We need to somehow buy our club back......

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Who are the moneymen behind this ?

Reply privately

By *asilyled1Man
over a year ago

ogmore valley

Unfortunately it’s the way football is now. Clubs would rather finish fourth than win the fa cup. Might get you more well known through exposure but doesn’t give you medals

Reply privately

By *wislandMan
over a year ago

Newquay

As a Matlock town fan I doubt it will affect me!

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It won't happen.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/04/21 21:49:56]

Reply privately

By *-man24Man
over a year ago

northwest

"Manchester born a bread utd fan utterly shameful by the club i love and other clubs involved spitting in face of those who played for shirt and more importantly my fellow supporters of not just my club but others working class game taken over by greedy selfish bastards sorry had to have rant on it folks have good Sunday lol"
I’m Liverpool and totally back and agree with you I all so was taken my son Tranmere rovers games before this covid it’s the little teams that will suffer love Gary Neville for he said we should make a stand they are nothing without supports

Reply privately

over a year ago

Newcastle fan here

After witnessing first hand the corruption of the premier league during the summer its funny how 2 of those teams (Spurs & Liverpool) along with the owner of PSG openly lobbied the premier league to reject the takeover, why was Masters appointment signed off from Liverpool and Man Utd?

Whole football pyramid is corrupt to the core, and is solely about pure greed, from agents, clubs, FA and players and this will likely be the card removal that causes the house to fall down

Funny how the 4 teams to breakaway and form the premier leauge (ManUtd, Arsenal, Liverpool & Spurs) are the ones who historically have benefited the most from it

J

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am a Liverpool fan and I don't like the idea but I have been cynical for a few years now.

It's a club to us but it's business to them.

It's shameful and it's probably only posturing to get more money from eufa

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Newcastle fan here

After witnessing first hand the corruption of the premier league during the summer its funny how 2 of those teams (Spurs & Liverpool) along with the owner of PSG openly lobbied the premier league to reject the takeover, why was Masters appointment signed off from Liverpool and Man Utd?

Whole football pyramid is corrupt to the core, and is solely about pure greed, from agents, clubs, FA and players and this will likely be the card removal that causes the house to fall down

Funny how the 4 teams to breakaway and form the premier leauge (ManUtd, Arsenal, Liverpool & Spurs) are the ones who historically have benefited the most from it

J"

Great points

Reply privately

over a year ago

it’s all about the money money money

Reply privately

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I’m an Arsenal fan and I think it’s frankly ridiculous that we could consider ourselves involved in this. Even on current performance alone.

Shocking greed.

Reply privately

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

"I personally think it’s a ploy to force UEFA into transforming the champions league into one big league guaranteeing more games and revenue for the clubs in the competition. "

That is already coming and all the clubs are part of the discussions. We already have another European competition next year aside from CL and Europa starting next season

This breakaway group is a no no for me and I just see us there to make up the numbers, cannon fodder, stick with the league and enjoy (not always) the joy of the unknown

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Who are the moneymen behind this ?"

Apparently some big American companies on Wall Street and some of the biggest clubs themselves.... from what is being reported there are TV contracts for this that would bring in 2.5 billion pounds per year for this....

This might be a huge broadside as UEFA tomorrow were suppose to be unveiling plans to revamp the champions league

At the moment you are only looking at England, Spain and Italian clubs.... which would account for 12 of the 20....

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Spurs not part of it surely...

Top clubs not failing clubs

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I personally think it’s a ploy to force UEFA into transforming the champions league into one big league guaranteeing more games and revenue for the clubs in the competition.

That is already coming and all the clubs are part of the discussions. We already have another European competition next year aside from CL and Europa starting next season

"

All that is happening is that in the champions league there is going to be 2 different group stages (at the 32 club and 16 club phases) and the Europa league basically turned into a “champions league 2” (what we kind of see now) .... the 3rd tier competition isn’t really meant for the top tier leagues... its there really as a protection next for the champions and 2nd place teams under the top 8 European leagues........

Reply privately

By *ackandsashaCouple
over a year ago

West Dublin

UEFA, should ask FIFA, to announce that any player playing for a club in a non recognized club competition, will be banned from playing international football. That will give players something to think about.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The rich will get richer

Reply privately

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"Manchester born a bread utd fan utterly shameful by the club i love and other clubs involved spitting in face of those who played for shirt and more importantly my fellow supporters of not just my club but others working class game taken over by greedy selfish bastards sorry had to have rant on it folks have good Sunday lol"
Great let your feelings be known it is the only way to stop it without the fans the club is nothing.

My team will not have been invited but if they where and interested I would disown them.

Reply privately

By *mmabluTV/TS
over a year ago

upton wirral

"UEFA, should ask FIFA, to announce that any player playing for a club in a non recognized club competition, will be banned from playing international football. That will give players something to think about. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"trouble is everyone will say 'i wont watch the games' etc but you will. people cant help themselves they love to be part of something.

if it all goes ahead you can bet sky, bt and everyone else will want to be a part of it and all you subscribers are guilty because you funded the greed that is the premier league in the first place by making sky etc what it is today.

you helped to make it possible to have these clubs secure their funding through tv so the fans are no longer needed. empty stadiums for a year have proved that these clubs dont need bums on seats to survive. fans mean nothing to them.

players dont give a fuck, they dont care who they play for just about the money they spend more time rolling on the grass than kicking the ball.

they will be welcomed back straight into the premier league and those in lower leagues wont get promoted because the premier league will see the returning clubs as a draw for future tv contracts.

you created this monster by letting tv control you and making you pay top dollar for it all.

"

Well said . Same for PPV boxing events, if people stop paying for it , it will be back on the box for free

Reply privately

over a year ago

On a mooch

"I personally think it’s a ploy to force UEFA into transforming the champions league into one big league guaranteeing more games and revenue for the clubs in the competition.

All that is happening is that in the champions league there is going to be 2 different group stages (at the 32 club and 16 club phases) and the Europa league basically turned into a “champions league 2” (what we kind of see now) .... the 3rd tier competition isn’t really meant for the top tier leagues... its there really as a protection next for the champions and 2nd place teams under the top 8 European leagues........"

It’s not meant for the top teams no but for our league, as an example, the winners of the league cup or 6th/7th place would end up in the competition. It also acts as a fall down tournament for the Europa league third placed teams. Do we really need another European cup league tournament

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

All that is happening is that in the champions league there is going to be 2 different group stages (at the 32 club and 16 club phases) and the Europa league basically turned into a “champions league 2” (what we kind of see now) .... the 3rd tier competition isn’t really meant for the top tier leagues... its there really as a protection next for the champions and 2nd place teams under the top 8 European leagues........"

So for England it means 4 in the champions league group stages, 2 in the Europa league Group stages and 1 in the Europa Conference (1 play in game to make it into the group stages)

For Scotland it means 1 in the Champions league (in at the final play off stage to get into the champions league, if they lose then they g into the Europa league group stage), 1 in the Europa League ( again in at final play off stage, if they lose they go into the Europa Conference group stage), and 1 in the Europa Conference (in at 3rd qualifying.. will need to win 2 games to get into the Europa conference group stage)

Reply privately

over a year ago

People are getting their knickers in a twist without understanding or hearing the proposal.

It's a play to influence the reform of UCL. I don't think they mean drop out the domestic leagues... Simply give them a stronger position in Europe. Let's face it the UCL is a waste of time in the first rounds... an inconvenience for the top teams.

It means they essentially are garenteed the revenue each season...

Plus, each time they do this they get more money from their home leagues. Utd vs Burnley or Utd vs Milan hmm.

The play is to replace reform the European competition not the premiership...

Anyway... imagine including Spurs

Reply privately

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

"As a Matlock town fan I doubt it will affect me! "

Quote of the thread

Reply privately

over a year ago

While it's all about the money I also think eufa and fifa are completely and utterly corrupt.

It's hypocrisy for football leagues and governing bodies to talk about the greed of these clubs.

And as for bans from fifa for players ... I would be ok with not having Liverpool players playing internationals

Reply privately

By *heNYCSausageMan
over a year ago

Everton

"Another LFC fan prepared to walk away over this."

As a blue, I don’t have that moral dilemma

Reply privately

over a year ago

Football lost its soul years ago. Champions League places for finishing 4th, clubs being owned by actual countries, paying exterminate prices to watch games on TV, players earning £500,000 a week. It had to blow up some time. Good riddance. Maybe it's time we got behind a sport that England are actually good at.

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Official.. it’s done apparently....

I wonder which 8 others will now walk... you can’t have German clubs at the moment because of the 51-49 fan owners rule... PSG have said no but they aren’t going to hold out.. plus 5

I hope the premier league strip all the teams points tomorrow....

Reply privately

By *ornLordMan
over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

"Official.. it’s done apparently....

I wonder which 8 others will now walk... you can’t have German clubs at the moment because of the 51-49 fan owners rule... PSG have said no but they aren’t going to hold out.. plus 5

I hope the premier league strip all the teams points tomorrow.... "

A vain hope, but I agree. And we'll have had the FA Cup final today without realising it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

On a mooch

Just seen the club statement

Reply privately

over a year ago

Newcastle fan here prepared to walk away if we get the invite too

Reply privately

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

How long before 3 or 4 of these teams decide to pull out and form a world league with 2 or 3 teams from south America 1 from Africa 1 from Asia and 2 possible from the yanks..

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

If I am reading the press release rightly... the “founder clubs” will each get 3.5 billion euros for selling their souls.. sorry, meant taking part... league will be midweek so teams are still available for domestic competitions.. how nice of them!

Reply privately

over a year ago

On a mooch

"If I am reading the press release rightly... the “founder clubs” will each get 3.5 billion euros for selling their souls.. sorry, meant taking part... league will be midweek so teams are still available for domestic competitions.. how nice of them!"

I couldn’t figure out whether that is each or between the founders - from club statement, could be read either way but it stinks, everyone has suffered this last year

‘In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic’

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Okay more information coming out.... will be 20 teams... split into 2 groups of 10 playing home and away, then quarters semi’s and final.. which means this would take up 23 midweek dates..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If I am reading the press release rightly... the “founder clubs” will each get 3.5 billion euros for selling their souls.. sorry, meant taking part... league will be midweek so teams are still available for domestic competitions.. how nice of them!

I couldn’t figure out whether that is each or between the founders - from club statement, could be read either way but it stinks, everyone has suffered this last year

‘In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic’"

Each

Reply privately

over a year ago

On a mooch

Club statement, which I’m sure will be the same across the page :-

Twelve of Europe’s leading football clubs have today come together to announce they have agreed to establish a new midweek competition, the Super League, governed by its Founding Clubs.

AC Milan, Arsenal FC, Atlético de Madrid, Chelsea FC, FC Barcelona, FC Internazionale Milano, Juventus FC, Liverpool FC, Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid CF and Tottenham Hotspur have all joined as Founding Clubs. It is anticipated that a further three clubs will join ahead of the inaugural season, which is intended to commence as soon as practicable.

Going forward, the Founding Clubs look forward to holding discussions with UEFA and FIFA to work together in partnership to deliver the best outcomes for the new League and for football as a whole.

Competition Format

• 20 participating clubs with 15 Founding Clubs and a qualifying mechanism for a further five teams to qualify annually based on achievements in the prior season.

• Midweek fixtures with all participating clubs continuing to compete in their respective national leagues, preserving the traditional domestic match calendar which remains at the heart of the club game.

• An August start with clubs participating in two groups of 10, playing home and away fixtures, with the top three in each group automatically qualifying for the quarter finals. Teams finishing fourth and fifth will then compete in a two-legged play-off for the remaining quarter-final positions. A two-leg knockout format will be used to reach the final at the end of May, which will be staged as a single fixture at a neutral venue.

As soon as practicable after the start of the men’s competition, a corresponding women’s league will also be launched, helping to advance and develop the women’s game.

The new annual tournament will provide significantly greater economic growth and support for European football via a long-term commitment to uncapped solidarity payments which will grow in line with league revenues. These solidarity payments will be substantially higher than those generated by the current European competition and are expected to be in excess of €10 billion during the course of the initial commitment period of the Clubs. In addition, the competition will be built on a sustainable financial foundation with all Founding Clubs signing up to a spending framework. In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic.

Reply privately

By *aleforfun22Man
over a year ago

Lancashire

Greedy corupt owners don't care one bit about football not one of the premier league owners are English.they use the club's as a toy and to make more money out of fans.they bleed the fans dry of there hard earned money soon it will be £100 per ticket if these greedy muppets have there way.this last year has proved football without fans is nothing .if fans boycott greedy owners who rip the club off hopefully they will sell up and sell it to someone who cares about football like what happend to Blackpool.owners come and go fans are there for life .

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Pay per view...

I am.not paying..

Reply privately

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I hope qualifying achievements will include not being relegated from the Football League

Have fun!

Yours,

A Tranmere Rovers fan

Reply privately

By *edheadjMan
over a year ago

High Wycombe

The novelty of seeing the same teams play each other every season will quickly wear off. One of the joys of the champions League was seeing the big teams play each other, but it was seeing who was drawn with who that made it exciting.

Yes, you have teams in their domestic teams play each other each season, but there's local and historical rivalry at play there.

The closed shop formation of this tournament is awful and I for one hope the teams are kicked out of their respective leagues.

This might be a plot to restructure the CL, but it shouldn't be done just so the top teams can hang on to their revenue streams and continue to proper. Football should be played on merit, which this new super league won't have.

Reply privately

By *andS66Couple
over a year ago

Derby

Chelsea here.

Absolutely disgusted at my club, and all the others involved.

Reply privately

By *L RogueMan
over a year ago

London

"I am an arsenal fan.... absolutely disgusted!!!! It doesn’t feel like my club anymore, and its nothing but a cash grab!!! The pride i took in being in the champions league year after year is that we earned our way in... even if that meant finishing 4th in the best league in the world year after year.....

We need to somehow buy our club back......"

This.

Reply privately

By *ausageNmashCouple
over a year ago

Andover

The premier league are coming out with all sorts of hypocritical guff considering they did exactly the same thing

Reply privately

By *heNYCSausageMan
over a year ago

Everton

"The premier league are coming out with all sorts of hypocritical guff considering they did exactly the same thing "

The differences between the two are like chalk and cheese.

The Premier League had full input from the EFL and promotion/relegation was a major talking point.

The Super League is a closed system only created to benefit the elite.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Be good to see Utd bottom of the league

Reply privately

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Just kick these clubs out of their domestic leagues for starters.

Its either the ESL or nothing domestically.

Closed shop leagues can take their ball and play by themselves.

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

People can moan and say they'll stop watching and all that but when it starts and the money starts rolling in ,more clubs will join and the same people who are on here saying they'll turn their backs on their clubs will be watching. Football is a business a d you always do what's best for your business. Those who don't like it shouldn't watch but it's not going to come to an end just because a few fans have decided to boycott.

Reply privately

By *lint-EverhardMan
over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

I never understood the appeal of football.

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

"People are getting their knickers in a twist without understanding or hearing the proposal.

It's a play to influence the reform of UCL. I don't think they mean drop out the domestic leagues... Simply give them a stronger position in Europe. Let's face it the UCL is a waste of time in the first rounds... an inconvenience for the top teams.

It means they essentially are garenteed the revenue each season...

Plus, each time they do this they get more money from their home leagues. Utd vs Burnley or Utd vs Milan hmm.

The play is to replace reform the European competition not the premiership...

Anyway... imagine including Spurs "

Well said . Some people just like to bark without fully understanding what the proposal is all about.

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

Why strip the teams points?? They haven't broken any domestic rules or any footballing rules for that matter.

Reply privately

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Why strip the teams points?? They haven't broken any domestic rules or any footballing rules for that matter."

Because its outside of UEFA and FIFA jurisdiction.

Basically its an elite club of the richest teams, making up their own rules.

The football pyramid system allows even the smallest clubs hope of coming good, moving up and even playing in Europe.

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

Why strip the teams points?? They haven't broken any domestic rules or any footballing rules for that matter.

The football pyramid system allows even the smallest clubs hope of coming good, moving up and even playing in Europe. "

So what's wrong with that?? Same thing happened when the IPL was formed. It was also an elite League where players were being bought and payed a lot of money. No one is breaking any rules

Reply privately

over a year ago

I agree with everything Neville said. Penalise them PL points right now.

There's nothing 'beautiful' about the game if this goes ahead.

Reply privately

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

The football pyramid system allows even the smallest clubs hope of coming good, moving up and even playing in Europe.

So what's wrong with that?? Same thing happened when the IPL was formed. It was also an elite League where players were being bought and payed a lot of money. No one is breaking any rules "

Club finances are arranged around sponsorship and tv deals. Forming a new breakaway league means all these will have to be renegotiated. The Champions League as is, is now seriously devalued.

The flow of money downwards will impact on all clubs.

Reply privately

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

As a Man Utd fan I am disgusted by this.I am fairly certain this was not the vision Sir Matt Busby had when he defied the FA and entered the European Cup or when he rebuilt the club after the Busby Babes in 1958zIn England we are use to seeing one of the so called big 6 winning the premier league.Will the European Super League have the same appeal if you are a fan of one of the big 6 and the best you can hope for is to finish 5 to get into the playoffs to get to the knockout stage.In the second half of the season how many fans will go to the game if you can’t get to the playoffs or there is no relegation dog fight to get excited about.

Reply privately

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

I think I'm the only person who doesn't see a problem with this. The club's will still play in their domestic leagues but will also play in this new midweek league rather than the champions league or europa league.

Presumably it means that champions league places will filter down to clubs that wouldn't have normally qualified, so their fans will enjoy European football.

Anything that kicks UEFA in the bollocks is fine by me.

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

"I think I'm the only person who doesn't see a problem with this. The club's will still play in their domestic leagues but will also play in this new midweek league rather than the champions league or europa league.

Presumably it means that champions league places will filter down to clubs that wouldn't have normally qualified, so their fans will enjoy European football.

Anything that kicks UEFA in the bollocks is fine by me."

I'm with you on this one. I don't see a problem with it at all.

Reply privately

By *wislandMan
over a year ago

Newquay

"Newcastle fan here prepared to walk away if we get the invite too "

I wouldn't hold your breath for the invite!

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

So what's wrong with that?? Same thing happened when the IPL was formed. It was also an elite League where players were being bought and payed a lot of money. No one is breaking any rules

Club finances are arranged around sponsorship and tv deals. Forming a new breakaway league means all these will have to be renegotiated. The Champions League as is, is now seriously devalued.

The flow of money downwards will impact on all clubs. "

That's just life. If you find a good opportunity you take it and that's exactly what these clubs are doing. Nothing wrong with this as it doesn't affect PL fixtures or the domestic league in any way.

Reply privately

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

As an Arsenal fan and ST holder, it will be interesting to see how they try to price season tickets next year.

The fact that Barca and Real, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal no longer have a foot hold over their competition makes this their only way to guarantee they can control what they can control.

This will go on in the courts for so long everyone will lose interest in it.

Interesting that not all the founding clubs have put out the statement from what I’ve seen so far

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Newcastle fan here prepared to walk away if we get the invite too "

I wouldn’t worry!

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

"As an Arsenal fan and ST holder, it will be interesting to see how they try to price season tickets next year.

The fact that Barca and Real, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal no longer have a foot hold over their competition makes this their only way to guarantee they can control what they can control.

Interesting that not all the founding clubs have put out the statement from what I’ve seen so far"

I don't think this will have a huge impact on the PL tickets as it's a separate league

Reply privately

By *urchoicenowCouple
over a year ago

Ashford

Chelsea fan here and absolutely disgusted.

I did hear this morning that teams that enter won't be allowed to play in their domestic league and players unable to play international football.

Reply privately

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

"Chelsea fan here and absolutely disgusted.

I did hear this morning that teams that enter won't be allowed to play in their domestic league and players unable to play international football. "

Chelsea fan here as well.

I don't believe for a second that the Premier League would kick out these six clubs.

Their TV money would plummet if they did that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I think I'm the only person who doesn't see a problem with this. The club's will still play in their domestic leagues but will also play in this new midweek league rather than the champions league or europa league.

Apparently you are the only person?

The formation of a competition where qualification to take part is determined by financial issues rather than sporting merit is fundamentally wrong. An invitation to take part is decided on who will draw the biggest sponsors and advertising revenue is abhorrent.The Gary Neville rant on Sky yesterday touched on all the inequalities of such a league albeit delivered in a histrionic way.

I am a Manc and supported United since I can remember. My first match cost 35p to get in, cash on the gate. Started queuing at noon to get admission to the Stretford End. The programme was 5p and two lads used to walk round the running track selling hot bovril and Holland’s pies. So for the princely sum of 75p give or take you would be entertained on a cold Saturday afternoon by the likes of Best, Law and Charlton.

Those days are gone but when you consider a 20 year old kid can earn £65k a week shows how mad the game has become. This super league is just another step in the journey for faceless owners to increase revenues.

The announcement of the proposal may have just been a broadside from the big clubs to tell the governing bodies of football that they want a bigger slice of the pie which given the financial state of some clubs on the football pyramid is more obtuse than the break away league.

If it does go ahead I for one will be purchasing a season ticket for Matlock Town who will become known as the Swingers Club.

Where is Matlock?

Reply privately

By *heGateKeeperMan
over a year ago

Stratford

"As an Arsenal fan and ST holder, it will be interesting to see how they try to price season tickets next year.

Interesting that not all the founding clubs have put out the statement from what I’ve seen so far

I don't think this will have a huge impact on the PL tickets as it's a separate league"

It is a separate league but for Arsenal fans the cost of European fixtures (or lack of) is built into the cost of our season ticket at the start of the year. As it stands, it’s a ticket to cover 26 home games over the season of which 19 come in the league.

Reply privately

By *ickJMan
over a year ago

Hemel Hempstead

Isn't a "Super League" just similar to what happened when the Premier League was created in the 1990s? The top clubs chasing the lucrative sky / pay per view money. They did say that some of the money would filter down to the "grass roots" football level, but only what overflowed after their own pockets were lined.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think the only way this should be aloud to go ahead is if the new league is k ly used to bring on the young talent so a rule should be imposed that no players over 22 are aloud to take part in it

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

I don't think this will have a huge impact on the PL tickets as it's a separate league

It is a separate league but for Arsenal fans the cost of European fixtures (or lack of) is built into the cost of our season ticket at the start of the year. As it stands, it’s a ticket to cover 26 home games over the season of which 19 come in the league."

Lol Asernal are ripping you guys off especially with their current form. They really shouldn't be including European fixture for next year's tickets

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not watched football since Billy Brenner stopped kicking a football

Half time orange a pork pie and a fag lol

This lot are a load of over paid Nancy boys that don't know how much a loaf of bread costs

Same goes for formula 1...

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

"Not watched football since Billy Brenner stopped kicking a football

This lot are a load of over paid Nancy boys that don't know how much a loaf of bread costs

Same goes for formula 1..."

Times have changed . You can't expect to be getting paid the same amount of money that your grand father was getting paid when he started working

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

I wonder if Gary Neville would be running his mouth if he was still playing and would benefit from playing in this league

Reply privately

over a year ago

Times have changed . You can't expect to be getting paid the same amount of money that your grand father was getting paid when he started working "

Just my opinion friend I'm allowed to view

Reply privately

By *ovebjsMan
over a year ago

Bristol

More money for already over paid players

Reply privately

over a year ago

I say its simple dock them all 12 points for this season send a message to all 6 that will hit there finances yet another example that this world only caters to those who earn the most they need a lesson in humility considering how much real people have lost in the last year or more i predict a riot or many

Reply privately

over a year ago

Totally unfair on so called smaller clubs very unsporting n other words we can’t win anything so we will try and guarantee we do

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

It is a separate league but for Arsenal fans the cost of European fixtures (or lack of) is built into the cost of our season ticket at the start of the year. As it stands, it’s a ticket to cover 26 home games over the season of which 19 come in the league."

I am willing to bet there are 2 separate season tickets as that would be the biggest cash grab.....

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Excuse my ignorance but would playing an extra (super)game midweek have an effect on the players fitness for the weekend game?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Literally not understanding any of this or what’s happening

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

Times have changed . You can't expect to be getting paid the same amount of money that your grand father was getting paid when he started working

Just my opinion friend I'm allowed to view"

So am I mate

Reply privately

over a year ago

And people are surprised by this? As soon as clubs began operating by being bought out by billionaires, the end of the game as we knew it had begun.

It's a sad day indeed and as a LFC fan myself, I'm ashamed with what they are planning.

I'm just hoping the powers that be have a rethink.

Reply privately

By *edheadjMan
over a year ago

High Wycombe

You don't see a problem with this? Clubs getting an addition guaranteed 300m a season on top of their PL money to play in a league they can't be relegated from and restrict others from taking part in it?

It's ridiculous

Reply privately

over a year ago

A few people saying this is what happened when the premier league broke away

The original format was the funds were shared equally across all 4 leagues, with tv rights locked in

The premier league broke away to allow freedom to choose there own deals however there was always promotion & relegation

Now yes the 4 instigators of the Premier league breakaway ManUtd, Liverpool, Arsenal & Spurs are part of the new one, however this is a closed shop with no chance of any other team entering it

With the financial benefits they can hoover up the best players to sit on the bench and we’ll not see another Leicester.

Overall its a disgraceful ploy to lock away any competition from emerging and to share the spoils with those who they perceive to be the top clubs

And as for those saying Newcastle wouldnt be invited, these are the same clubs that lobbied the premier league to block our takeover that would have made us the richest club in the world by some distance, all because there scared of loosing there “spot”

Kick them out and make them start at the bottom of the football pyramid

Reply privately

By *essiCouple
over a year ago

suffolk

Born out of pure greed..how the once beautiful game has turned out now is shameful and very sad..

Reply privately

By *heRazorsEdgeMan
over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

As a Liverpool fan I’m absolutely disgusted and ashamed of my club and it’s pretty clear I’m not alone... this looks like it’s turning into a massive PR disaster for all the clubs involved because the reaction has been overwhelmingly negative.

If you’re a fan of any of the clubs involved then hit the clubs various social media channels and show your displeasure. It has to be stopped

Reply privately

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

How long before the ESL has its own tv channel? Pay per view games at £20 a pop? Tapping into the huge Asian markets, maybe games kicking off at lunchtime to cater for that audience?

Noticeable that some of these big clubs have huge debt that needs servicing!

Reply privately

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

The European competitions are already boring now to most neutral football fans. This puts the icing on the cake.

Reply privately

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

"How long before the ESL has its own tv channel? Pay per view games at £20 a pop? Tapping into the huge Asian markets, maybe games kicking off at lunchtime to cater for that audience?

Noticeable that some of these big clubs have huge debt that needs servicing! "

So what ? The Premier League sells it´s rights to view all over Asia and the U.S. It´s only here in the UK that you can´t (officially) watch the 3pm kick offs.

Reply privately

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

One wonders if the likes of fc united of manchester and similar clubs will see an increase in gates when normal service te fans returns

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

I stopped watching football when I had an epiphany and thought “why am I watching 22 millionaires kick a ball around in a field”

Reply privately

By *amRod64Man
over a year ago

Gravesend

Jose sacked!

Reply privately

over a year ago

On a mooch

"Jose sacked!"

He’s probably thrown a complete fit at last night’s announcement, where is the incentive for a manager in this competition to win anything.

Whatever the reason he wasn’t good for the club, results have been poor (that’s down to the players to) but if they had a sniff of this behind the scenes what have they been playing for as it isn’t European competition

Reply privately

By *edheadjMan
over a year ago

High Wycombe

"How long before the ESL has its own tv channel? Pay per view games at £20 a pop? Tapping into the huge Asian markets, maybe games kicking off at lunchtime to cater for that audience?

So what ? The Premier League sells it´s rights to view all over Asia and the U.S. It´s only here in the UK that you can´t (officially) watch the 3pm kick offs."

That's because the league's wanted people to go and see the games, helping local and lower league teams in the process. Which was fair.

Reply privately

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Don't pay to watch ever again

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

So what ? The Premier League sells it´s rights to view all over Asia and the U.S. It´s only here in the UK that you can´t (officially) watch the 3pm kick offs."

The premier league sells its product as a collective which means they all get an equal share..

This league are allowing teams to sell their own individual rights...

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Jose sacked!

He’s probably thrown a complete fit at last night’s announcement, where is the incentive for a manager in this competition to win anything.

Whatever the reason he wasn’t good for the club, results have been poor (that’s down to the players to) but if they had a sniff of this behind the scenes what have they been playing for as it isn’t European competition"

Harry's on the phone asking if you'll take charge.

He says the players are up for it and looking forward to your leadership skills, ability to draw tactics and that you'd put a smile on everyone's face.

You get my vote

Reply privately

By *igDickSwansMan
over a year ago

Swansea City Centre

United fan born and bread, i was just watching sky sports news and a reporter was talking to a board member of one of the clubs (wont say who for obvious reasons) has said that club is looking to maximize revenue and there putting football second, im ashamed to say i brought a new united shirt and wore it with pride yesterday beating burnley 3-1 and now this morning im hearing united are part of this.... well i say united i mean the glazers and woodward, this is not the players or the managers this is pure greed from the higher ups not the players but i wont be following united again if this goes thru

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wasn't sure what this European super league was all about and it seems to have come out of nowhere and fast nut honestly it's a joke and just pure greed on behalf of the owners of these clubs. In a life long fan of one of these clubs and honestly hate the owners of my club they are everything that is wrong about the sport I love

Reply privately

over a year ago

Liverpool fan here. Absolutely gutted. I can’t imagine Anfield and Liverpool will stand for it. FSG have just taken “YNWA” and changed it to “You’ll only walk at all if you give us all your money.” What’s even the point of English premiere league if you haven’t got the drama (lots of it this season for me!) of the smaller teams absolutely hounding the big teams? Complete madness

Reply privately

By *lirty-CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Bexley

The 'real' fans who turn out to matches etc week in week out have long been quite cynically abused and this is just the latest stage in that process. The only loyalty these clubs have is to money and it has to be said the same applies to many of the players. Gate receipts are dwarfed by broadcast revenues and other global income streams. No matter how many millions they earn, players only want more and hence their desire to turn themselves into global businesses not the sort of clubs which have been established in and are proud to represent their local people and towns.

There are many lesser teams who are strugging to survive in the lower leagues so those Premiership team supporters who are fed up with the way in which they're being treated ought to take their support elsewhere to clubs which will truly appreciate and value it.

Reply privately

By *ondon MikeMan
over a year ago

St Albans

I'm conflicted - the idea of 19 top European teams spanking Spurs every year has a certain appeal. Also if all six are DQ'd and have their results expunged, West ham win the league!

But joking aside, it's awful and I hope UEFA and FIFA don't drop their balls and press the hardest sanctions possible

Reply privately

By *ustfun1000Man
over a year ago

hanwell

I don’t like the sound of where this going and will cancel my sky and bt subscription rather than buy another 1 .

Reply privately

over a year ago

On a mooch

"Jose sacked!

Whatever the reason he wasn’t good for the club, results have been poor (that’s down to the players to) but if they had a sniff of this behind the scenes what have they been playing for as it isn’t European competition

Harry's on the phone asking if you'll take charge.

He says the players are up for it and looking forward to your leadership skills, ability to draw tactics and that you'd put a smile on everyone's face.

You get my vote "

Haha not sure why but Delia Smith popped into my head... give me a stepping stool and I’m there but not in the ESL

Reply privately

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

UEFA are now reviewing venues for the upcoming Euros, and fixtures in Rome, Bilbao, and London may have their fixtures taken away.

Reply privately

By *wingamajigsCouple
over a year ago

Folkestone

As an Arsenal I am not happy. What was once a proud club has now sold its soul to greed. Millwall for my viewing now

Reply privately

By *lirty-CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Bexley

[Removed by poster at 19/04/21 15:30:29]

Reply privately

By *lirty-CoupleCouple
over a year ago

Bexley

"UEFA are now reviewing venues for the upcoming Euros, and fixtures in Rome, Bilbao, and London may have their fixtures taken away. "

Why would UEFA take Euro games away from Wembley when it has nothing whatsoever to do with the ESL and virtually everyone aside from the clubs involved is against it? I'd imagine the lawyers would be gettingn involved very quickly indeed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"trouble is everyone will say 'i wont watch the games' etc but you will. people cant help themselves they love to be part of something.

"

I LOVE this comment!!!!!! You know who fucked up football too!? All those cunts who have historically gone to football to fight you gave those bastards an excuse!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As an Arsenal I am not happy. What was once a proud club has now sold its soul to greed. Millwall for my viewing now"

You won't be disappointed . Great day out

Reply privately

By *ercuryMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"UEFA are now reviewing venues for the upcoming Euros, and fixtures in Rome, Bilbao, and London may have their fixtures taken away.

Why would UEFA take Euro games away from Wembley when it has nothing whatsoever to do with the ESL and virtually everyone aside from the clubs involved is against it? I'd imagine the lawyers would be gettingn involved very quickly indeed."

I think its actually due to covid reasons, and nothing to do with ESL.

It just came out in a Press Conference, where the only topic was the ESL.!

Apologies for adding 2 to 2 and getting 5.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I LOVE this comment!!!!!! You know who fucked up football too!? All those cunts who have historically gone to football to fight you gave those bastards an excuse!"

It's not just football. F1 used to be free didn't it? Now it's £20 a month on sky and that's the problem.

All the time the machine can get money out of you it is keeping a class of people down because they have less of it.

I can remember my grandad talking about Hampden park when Celtic played Leeds Everyone was packed in and I think over 130,000 watched the game as well as it being on TV.

It didn't cost a fortune to go to the game and the players on both sides were legendary.

The game has completely lost connection with the supporters who came from hard working backgrounds.

Nottingham forest have a greater European history than man city so do Celtic. Ajax another great club steeped in history far greater than arsenal or spurs.

It's pure greed at a cost of all other clubs and supporters.

And jp Morgan who are funding this are well in there with the Liverpool owners it wasn't long ago these bankers crashed everything and ruined lives. Now they are doing it to the national game.

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

This is a chance for 4 PL teams that would have never played in the champions league to play in it. Sadly for UEFA these teams won't pull in big crowds like the usual top 4/6 and that's why there are making a lot of noise about it. It's simple really ,if you want to stop watching or following your club because of this then go ahead but they won't wake up tomorrow and notice it. It's still the same top teams that end up the last stages of the CL every year,so if they want to play in their own league then so be it

Reply privately

By *ondon MikeMan
over a year ago

St Albans

AC Milan no league win since 2011.

Inter no league win since 2010 (although likely to win this year if not expelled).

Atletico no league win since 2014

Arsenal no league win since 2004.

Man U no league win since 2013.

At least it's only 4 years since Chelsea won!

Spurs....

Surely if it's a 'super' league Leicester should be in there, or even Everton

Huge respect to PSG, Bayern, and Dortmund taking early positions against this silliness. Just hope they stick to their position as it chunders on

Reply privately

By *uv2helpMan
over a year ago

Tonbridge

IM a Gooner, im at a loss for words

Reply privately

over a year ago

Tv wise there talking about apps, so each club could independently sell there own rights or even worse ppv with a premium charged for derbies

whole thing is a disgrace

As the late great Sir Bobby would say

“What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.

“It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up the stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him, and without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

This be the motto and rallying cry going forward from all clubs

Reply privately

over a year ago

Surprised anyone gives a shit to be honest, we've been watching millionaires play for billionaires for decades. Nobody cared about Sky dominating the market, nobody cared about BT paywalling the champions league fixtures, nobody cared about four or five elite clubs in england dominating every single fucking year. Why do people give a shit about this?

Capitalism sucks. Get with it.

Reply privately

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

I'll just carry on watching the cricket.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Surprised anyone gives a shit to be honest, we've been watching millionaires play for billionaires for decades. Nobody cared about Sky dominating the market, nobody cared about BT paywalling the champions league fixtures, nobody cared about four or five elite clubs in england dominating every single fucking year. Why do people give a shit about this?

Capitalism sucks. Get with it."

People give a shit because they can... I'm sure you stopped watching years ago with your statement. But 1000s do watch it and go and see thier teams..

What about the money the premier league trickles down to us lower leagues. Should that just disappear as that's would will happen.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As a Matlock town fan I doubt it will affect me! "
haha my local club

Reply privately

over a year ago

What has amused me is that two of the most corrupt and greed driven organisations (FIFA and UEFA) have got on their high horses amd got all moral about the game.

Top flight football hasn’t been a working mans game for quarter of a century. We fans of the lower division teams have been shafted by the big teams for years

Reply privately

By *aramel.desiresMan
over a year ago

London

The Glazer family and the other Americans.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Looks like FC United are going to need a bigger ground.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Jp Morgan are the main money behind it

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What has amused me is that two of the most corrupt and greed driven organisations (FIFA and UEFA) have got on their high horses amd got all moral about the game.

Top flight football hasn’t been a working mans game for quarter of a century. We fans of the lower division teams have been shafted by the big teams for years"

Well said. Who could afford to go to their prem clubs home games every second week with their 2 or 3 kids all decked out in their jerseys etc? Out of reach for the average working class family for years now

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"UEFA are now reviewing venues for the upcoming Euros, and fixtures in Rome, Bilbao, and London may have their fixtures taken away. "

They would only do that if the national football associations did nothing to the clubs involved... it will ramp up the pressure on the FA’s to ban the clubs and the players of those clubs from taking part in the euros and the world cup

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Jose sacked!"

Harsh when Spurs just qualified for the European Super League

Reply privately

over a year ago

"AC Milan no league win since 2011.

Inter no league win since 2010 (although likely to win this year if not expelled).

Atletico no league win since 2014

Arsenal no league win since 2004.

Man U no league win since 2013.

At least it's only 4 years since Chelsea won!

Spurs....

Surely if it's a 'super' league Leicester should be in there, or even Everton

Huge respect to PSG, Bayern, and Dortmund taking early positions against this silliness. Just hope they stick to their position as it chunders on"

I think you're missing the point. These clubs are top of the Deloitte 2021 Football Money League rankings: The world's top 20 richest football clubs! I'm surprised more people don't know this.

The German teams have a Governance structure that involves the fans... so their perceived stance isn't really as profound as people think.

Reply privately

over a year ago

$ooooooooper league ???

I don’t know if that’s enough zeros???

Shameful??

But I don’t think they would have any shame

Football is and always should be the people’s game

If it does happen

And I’d back UEFA all the way in defeating it

Then I hope all fans of the six judases tell their beloved clubs to stick their expensive new strips where the sun don’t shine

And support a local team!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

American ownership of clubs finally raising it's ugly head. Utopia for them guys is no relegation and a perpetual income stream that eclipses everyone else's. Funny that this has occured now Livarpool, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal are in danger of "missing out" on the Champions league.

And I say "missing out" because the truth of it is that they have no divine right to be in it, so the places aren't theirs to miss out on in the first place.

It's greed, pure and simple, and anything they may say to the contrary is just smoke and mirrors.

Points deductions, fines, players ineligible to play for their countries and the threat of them not having a Premier League place should be the start of it.

Reply privately

By *osieburnsTV/TS
over a year ago

DIDCOT

If they play midweek in their new league they will then have to travel back overnight.

And will use the saturday games for second team players just like they do with the cups.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If they play midweek in their new league they will then have to travel back overnight.

And will use the saturday games for second team players just like they do with the cups.

"

The issue is that it’s a closed competition (I.e. franchise football)

Our system works well because no club large or small is entitled to win a league / play in Europe, they have to earn it. This proposal is purely a money grab by the super rich, guaranteeing their profits at the expense of all others

Reply privately

By *ictoria_1976TV/TS
over a year ago

Newquay

Bring back sepp Blatter - he'll sort it!

Reply privately

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

Our system works well because no club large or small is entitled to win a league / play in Europe, they have to earn it. This proposal is purely a money grab by the super rich, guaranteeing their profits at the expense of all others "

But why is it at the expense of all others ? If they stay in the Premier League as they want to then nothing changes there. And at the moment Leicester, West Ham, Everton and Leeds would qualify for the Champions League and all the money that pays. Who is losing out financially ?

Reply privately

By *ictoria_1976TV/TS
over a year ago

Newquay

"

But why is it at the expense of all others ? If they stay in the Premier League as they want to then nothing changes there. And at the moment Leicester, West Ham, Everton and Leeds would qualify for the Champions League and all the money that pays. Who is losing out financially ?"

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't get a quota of 4 teams qualifying for CL if the "gene pool" was reduced to 14 eligible teams...

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

Our system works well because no club large or small is entitled to win a league / play in Europe, they have to earn it. This proposal is purely a money grab by the super rich, guaranteeing their profits at the expense of all others

But why is it at the expense of all others ? If they stay in the Premier League as they want to then nothing changes there. And at the moment Leicester, West Ham, Everton and Leeds would qualify for the Champions League and all the money that pays. Who is losing out financially ?"

This is what people don't seem to understand

Reply privately

over a year ago

1. CL money will go down / CL may stop

2. EPL loses its competitiveness, these big ‘6’ will use it for 2nd team as except for league title, nothing to play for

3. They break EPL rule 9, so if rules followed they should be expelled

But I’m sure you were aware of all this

Reply privately

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

"

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't get a quota of 4 teams qualifying for CL if the "gene pool" was reduced to 14 eligible teams..."

I think we would. UEFA are increasing the competition from 32 teams to 36 as it is. Pretty sure England are guaranteed 4 teams in it

Reply privately

over a year ago

But why is it at the expense of all others ? If they stay in the Premier League as they want to then nothing changes there. And at the moment Leicester, West Ham, Everton and Leeds would qualify for the Champions League and all the money that pays. Who is losing out financially ?

This is what people don't seem to understand "

Emm there will be no UCL. The other big clubs that have turned down ESL will join. Plus the next big 5. So Leicester would get in.

Who's left for a "UCL"... 32 TEAMS? it would be worse than the Europa league, less draw, no TV money because the ESL proposal comes with a subscription remodel.

Plus the Prem becomes irrelevant... as soon as the big 6 can't win there is nothing to play for. They don't need top 4 to qualify.

Today Leeds vs Liverpool... Liverpool would have zero to fight for and a big midweek game to concentrate on.

And worse... Citeh will always be good.

Reply privately

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

2. EPL loses its competitiveness, these big ‘6’ will use it for 2nd team as except for league title, nothing to play for

But I’m sure you were aware of all this "

But I asked you to qualify who is losing financially which is what you said. The only mention of that is in your point 1. Even if CL money went down (which it wouldn't) the teams who would now qualify wouldn't have been in it anyway so their revenue actually increases

Reply privately

over a year ago

But I asked you to qualify who is losing financially which is what you said. The only mention of that is in your point 1. Even if CL money went down (which it wouldn't) the teams who would now qualify wouldn't have been in it anyway so their revenue actually increases"

So you naively don’t realise that a less competitive EPL will also lower finances, through tv revenue, sales, prize money etc...

Reply privately

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

But I asked you to qualify who is losing financially which is what you said. The only mention of that is in your point 1. Even if CL money went down (which it wouldn't) the teams who would now qualify wouldn't have been in it anyway so their revenue actually increases

So you naively don’t realise that a less competitive EPL will also lower finances, through tv revenue, sales, prize money etc... "

Yeah I'm naïve fella. The appetite for football on TV is insatiable. The revenues are never going down.

Reply privately

By *ord Willy McFuck-BucketMan
over a year ago

newcastle

All I have seen today has been the hypocrisy of UEFA the EPL and Sky, they created the greed and pandered to the big clubs for years and then the monster turned on them, what the fuck else did they think would happen. As for people saying they wont go to games, do you think the owners care? Old Traford and Anfield especially will not have an empty seat, their global fanbases will see to that. Tv revenues will be massive and within a few years , people will have forgot all about their protests and be lining up to fill the owners pockets again.

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

"All I have seen today has been the hypocrisy of UEFA the EPL and Sky, they created the greed and pandered to the big clubs for years and then the monster turned on them, what the fuck else did they think would happen. As for people saying they wont go to games, do you think the owners care? Old Traford and Anfield especially will not have an empty seat, their global fanbases will see to that. Tv revenues will be massive and within a few years , people will have forgot all about their protests and be lining up to fill the owners pockets again. "

Well said

Reply privately

By *laymateteeMan
over a year ago

bristol

So you naively don’t realise that a less competitive EPL will also lower finances, through tv revenue, sales, prize money etc... "

How will the EPL be less competitive??

Reply privately

over a year ago

I was thinking.What if one these so called big six get relegated from the pl.. they still a superleague team?

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

As it stands the players and the managers are stuck in the middle, they're employees and as such like any of us when the owners or managers of whatever other business or service change the direction there's a simple choice to stay or go..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I was thinking.What if one these so called big six get relegated from the pl.. they still a superleague team?"

They won't will they? They will get first pick on the best players and have all the money to pay them. They would have enough resources to build a squad that could no doubt compete in the prem too. Give Arsenal garenteed top flight European football and their share of the billions... they will build a team just like Chelsea and Citeh did. This is the point. Next season Leicester would have more revenue and UCL football and Arsenal won't... who are players more likely to want to join?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I was thinking.What if one these so called big six get relegated from the pl.. they still a superleague team?

They won't will they? They will get first pick on the best players and have all the money to pay them. They would have enough resources to build a squad that could no doubt compete in the prem too. Give Arsenal garenteed top flight European football and their share of the billions... they will build a team just like Chelsea and Citeh did. This is the point. Next season Leicester would have more revenue and UCL football and Arsenal won't... who are players more likely to want to join? "

Well if what I'm reading about fifa and uefa wanting to ban players from competitions for participating they would want to join Leicester surely?

Reply privately

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Some of those ex footballers bleating that's it's all about the money..

Well it was all about the money for those fat cats too

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Some of those ex footballers bleating that's it's all about the money..

Well it was all about the money for those fat cats too"

ET are you ever going to post something positive?

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Well it was all about the money for those fat cats too"

If this was player led... I would agree with you... but this is an owner driven thing and the first time the players would have heard about would have been the same time the rest of us did

The players are going to be pawns in the middle of this...

Reply privately

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Well it was all about the money for those fat cats too

If this was player led... I would agree with you... but this is an owner driven thing and the first time the players would have heard about would have been the same time the rest of us did

The players are going to be pawns in the middle of this... "

the players have the power refuse to play in it and it's over but will they ?

Reply privately