Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Ageing rockstars

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Recently stumbled across a live performance of Gimme shelter by the Rolling stones, recorded a few years ago. I was genuinely concerned that the drummer wouldn't live long enough to finish the show. Very different from their live shows decades ago.

Have any of you seen live shows from older artists, or revisited bands that you saw decades ago? Better, worse or just as good? Do you think there's a time to hang up the mic and take an interest in gardening?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *mbroMan
over a year ago

vancouver

I saw fleetwood Mac at Wembley in 2019. mick fleetwood on the drums - man he had some serious stamina for what felt like 10 minute solo. He still has it!

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

The second band that I ever saw was Led Zep at Knebworth in '79, have seen Robert Plant several time s since, and he still had "it" when I last saw him about 4 years ago

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think that it's pointless comparing someone in older age to their younger self. They're going to be different that's for sure but age does that.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

I have seen Huey Lewis and the News seven times from the late 80s to the mid-2000s. They just kept getting better and better. Sadly they have almost certainly finished performing because Huey has serious problems with his hearing.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I was not a big fan of Europe but a mate got me a ticket a couple of years ago. I was very impressed and they put on a great show. Same with The Damned.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I have seen Huey Lewis and the News seven times from the late 80s to the mid-2000s. They just kept getting better and better. Sadly they have almost certainly finished performing because Huey has serious problems with his hearing. "

I've seen them as well

Same with AC/DC, that's why Axl Rose stood in for Brian Johnson when he had hearing difficulties a couple of years ago

By *uvhandle20Man
over a year ago

SE London

I have seen Tom Jones a couple of times in recent years, the last time in March 2020 at a concert for the Marsden charity. He still has a lot of energy and a great voice, although his dance moves are now more restricted due to his age and hip operations. What a show and what a showman. He will go on until he drops off the stage.

At the same concert were Paul Young and Bonnie Taylor. Sadly both lost their singing voices and their show was a disappointment and sounded painful.

They should retire.

Regarding the Rolling Stones: Charlie Watts, the drummer, is the healthy one, don't look too closely at the guitar players, both Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards look like zombies

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"

Regarding the Rolling Stones: Charlie Watts, the drummer, is the healthy one, don't look too closely at the guitar players, both Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards look like zombies

"

Ha zombies is exactly what I thought. Still plenty of talent on show though.

Paul Young was shocking when I saw him live.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If they still feel like performing and touring go for it. They will always have fans that love watching them regardless of their advanced years.

Went to see Black Sabbath eight years ago and they were on top form.

By *heRazorsEdgeMan
over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

Saw Whitesnake in 2019... David Coverdale still tries to strut around like a sex god despite being nearly 70 and it doesn’t quite work.

Guns and Roses - Axl’s voice isn’t what it was but still a good performer and Slash and the rest are as good if not better.

Thunder - Saw them in 2018... Literally as brilliant as when they first hit the scene over 30 years ago. Impeccable vocals and great energy

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Thunder - Saw them in 2018... Literally as brilliant as when they first hit the scene over 30 years ago. Impeccable vocals and great energy "

Yeah, I first saw them when they used to be Terraplane

By *parkyjayneCouple
over a year ago

midlands

"Recently stumbled across a live performance of Gimme shelter by the Rolling stones, recorded a few years ago. I was genuinely concerned that the drummer wouldn't live long enough to finish the show. Very different from their live shows decades ago.

Charlie is a jazz drummer. His style is very laid back. He looked the same in 72'

Have any of you seen live shows from older artists, or revisited bands that you saw decades ago? Better, worse or just as good? Do you think there's a time to hang up the mic and take an interest in gardening?

"

By *oppolocosTV/TS
over a year ago

inverurie

Offhand can only think of Bruce Springsteen who was still rocking it big time on his last tour. Whether he will tour again once the pandemic clears and if he can still cut it in his 79's shall have to wait and see.

Post new Message to Thread