Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Should shops be closed on a sunday?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Who else agrees that it should be closed on a sunday? I never do any shopping on sundays. I think it is a good idea to have one day a week with no trading, imagine how tranquil it would be when going out

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *allgirthyMan
over a year ago

Harrogate

I’m split - it probably does make sense to have a quiet day, but it’s annoying when the supermarkets are shut when you need something last minute.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

No, if we're going to do that, we should make it a day when most other businesses are working, so that workers can get to the shops. Nothing special about Sunday.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Everywhere should be open 24hrs a day....not everyone works 9-5 Monday to Friday

over a year ago

Problem is shops browbeat and pressure staff into working on a Sunday, if you haven't got it before Sunday then you probably don't really need it. But I do see your point.

over a year ago

I do kind of agree.

I grew up in a village, we had one shop which closed at 5. If you didn't have what you wanted you would either trek to the small town 2 mile away or go without.

And if you didn't have it by 5pm on a Saturday you were stuffed until Monday.

I realise that peoples jobs and life demands are a bit more chaotic now. But yes, I do think lockdown has shown the value of stepping back

By *redwilma666Couple
over a year ago

Kilbirnie

No.

I work a 10 hour shift 6 days a week, how would I manage to shop.

If you argue religion the Christians will want Sunday, Jews Saturday & Muslims Friday ?

By *VineMan
over a year ago

The right place

There’s nothing to stop anyone deciding not to shop on any particular day of the week.

This doesn’t need legislation.

over a year ago

"No.

If you argue religion the Christians will want Sunday, Jews Saturday & Muslims Friday ?"

Totally agree lol

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

They should remain open.

Shop and other business used to close as Sunday was a religious day and since we don't all hold the same bliefs and we live in a mutlicultural society, then should we close all busiess and all religious day.

There are lots of workers whi depend financialy on the the work they do from a Sunday.

As we are coming out, hopefully out, of a pandemic and the economy of the coutry has suffered, along with workers income, it would have a big negative impact.

By *BWandhusbandCouple
over a year ago

Midlands

I remember when there were hardly any shops open on a Sunday. It was very quiet and did feel quite different.

I don't tend to shop on a Sunday but I think it's good for people to have the option.

The shorter opening hours on a Sunday are, I think, a good idea.

over a year ago

24-7 gets my vote

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"24-7 gets my vote "

I think 24-7 is good for essentials. I wouldn't argue it was necessary for other things.

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

I'm from the generation that as a youngster shops were shut on Sunday, but I can see the argument for this to have changed. I never personally shop on a Sunday but that is my choice

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Businesses should only open on a Sunday if those that never work Sundays do the shift.

Unless it's a business/police/NHS etc where you know working Sunday goes with the job

Be interesting to see how enthusiastic the shareholders/owners etc are if they have to do it.

If workers actually want to work Sundays that's fine as well

over a year ago

"I remember when there were hardly any shops open on a Sunday. It was very quiet and did feel quite different.

I don't tend to shop on a Sunday but I think it's good for people to have the option.

The shorter opening hours on a Sunday are, I think, a good idea."

I believe it used to be illegal for shops to open on a Sunday - if they did they would get fined. The law changed because bigger shops would make more in profits than the fines, so it was worth it to open.

I also remember early closing on Wednesdays ...

By *luebellRacerCouple
over a year ago

Shropshire

No! What if I forget stuffing or carrots for my sunday roast?

By *verysmileMan
over a year ago

CANTERBURY

Why Sunday and not Monday?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Who else agrees that it should be closed on a sunday? I never do any shopping on sundays. I think it is a good idea to have one day a week with no trading, imagine how tranquil it would be when going out "

ridiculous antiquated religiously forced 'Sabbath' ......

Takes no account of modern life and modern needs.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Who else agrees that it should be closed on a sunday? I never do any shopping on sundays. I think it is a good idea to have one day a week with no trading, imagine how tranquil it would be when going out "

Anyway ........

Why just shops ? Why not pubs, cinemas, gyms, parks , churches....... how lovely and quiet that would be with NOWHERE to go and NOTHING to do on a Sunday.

Could close down the Police, Hospitals and everything.......

We could all quiet Sunday together.

over a year ago

I can see the attraction especially as someone who used to work in retail, going to work on a Sunday when you just want to chill with family etc is not fun. Modern day life doesn't fit this though, it's not a practical change to make when it can be the only day some people can get to the shops. A lot more people work Saturday as a normal day now or do a 6 day week.

It's idyllic but not practical.

over a year ago

Sunday workings also give alot of employment

over a year ago

"Problem is shops browbeat and pressure staff into working on a Sunday, if you haven't got it before Sunday then you probably don't really need it. But I do see your point. "

i don’t get this “browbeat” attitude to working sundays , we are not a devoutly religious country so a sunday is no more special than any other day

besides the 10 years or so that i worked weekends and shifts it was because exactly that shift pattern suited me

By *amantha TSWoman
over a year ago

Swindon

I think we should either keep 24 hour opening during the week and close fully on a Sunday, or 12 hour opening 7 days a week. With online shopping and click & collect so easy to do nowadays I can't see a need for shops to be open 24/7.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I'd be buggered as sometimes Sunday is my only day off work.

By *BWandhusbandCouple
over a year ago

Midlands

[Removed by poster at 18/04/21 10:17:31]

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Not in my opinion, no. We're lucky in that we don't work so we shop at quiet times, some people don't have that choice.

over a year ago

the way i see it is if you want to avoid working or shopping on a sunday , its more than possible , do it as a household yourself

why do you need it written into law and enforced on everyone else? why should every family follow your routine?

over a year ago

No shops are already struggling with end of lockdown so no shops should open on Sunday and get this one in offers whole hearted support for local shops and retailers just my opinion of coarse

By *xiled BikerMan
over a year ago

Beverley

Allow shops to open 7 days to meet our altered lifestyles but I would love to see them close christmas day and boxing day so everyone gets a rest, or do shopworkers get fantastic incentives to go in on boxing day, I think not, never shopped on boxing day never will on the principle i believe they should remain closed. I should add i only use local shops, butcher meat from butchers and fruit and veg from vegetable shop, fish from a fishmongers and bread from a bakers, maybe i am just old, but my way everybody makes a little bit.

By *arehamMan
over a year ago

handforth

Yes

over a year ago

"I remember when there were hardly any shops open on a Sunday. It was very quiet and did feel quite different.

This

J

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Shops were shut on Sundays when I was growing up and it was really peaceful. It was the same on early closing days. Life has changed considerably since then though.

I do think retail should be closed on Boxing day though.

over a year ago

"Who else agrees that it should be closed on a sunday? I never do any shopping on sundays. I think it is a good idea to have one day a week with no trading, imagine how tranquil it would be when going out

Anyway ........

Why just shops ? Why not pubs, cinemas, gyms, parks , churches....... how lovely and quiet that would be with NOWHERE to go and NOTHING to do on a Sunday.

Could close down the Police, Hospitals and everything.......

We could all quiet Sunday together. "

well said why just shops closing down on a Sunday is an ancient thing

over a year ago

"Allow shops to open 7 days to meet our altered lifestyles but I would love to see them close christmas day and boxing day so everyone gets a rest, or do shopworkers get fantastic incentives to go in on boxing day, I think not, never shopped on boxing day never will on the principle i believe they should remain closed. I should add i only use local shops, butcher meat from butchers and fruit and veg from vegetable shop, fish from a fishmongers and bread from a bakers, maybe i am just old, but my way everybody makes a little bit."

why just christmas and boxing day? what about the other religious festivals?

over a year ago

Shops should be open when they want to be open. Otherwise you'd have to force no internet trading as well. It's a pointless argument nowadays.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I can see the benefits of having a quieter day and if we could introduce more personal control over working hours, it could enable more people to be able to shop on other days.

We don't have a good public service infrastructure that supports lower paid people, particularly outside of peak hours, which is not a foundation for people to be able to get to work easily.

We could introduce differential pricing at off-peak times, that would solely pay higher wages for such working conditions.

By *ornyhappyCouple
over a year ago

perth

Our local shop is closed on a Sunday. It's a small family business and they deserve a day off.

K

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

I am of an age when shops opened 9 to 5 and closed for lunch, Also closed for half day one day a week.

Food rationing was still in operation until early 1950s

Only shops open on a Sunday were newsagents but only until midday.

The milkman, baker, butcher and grocer all delivered to your door.

No supermarkets in those days but nevertheless there was a good selection stores to choose from.

Few of us had the use of a telephone, No internet,Ipads or mobile phones,

The only reason we had a car was because Grandad owned a Morris Cars dealership.

The largest employer in the district was the steelworks and they worked a 3 shift system but somehow we all coped,

For me it has been an interesting 80yr journey, my biggest disappointment has been the demise of local Butchers, Bakers, Fishmongers. Greengrocers and the like.

But as people keep telling me it is all in the name of progress.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

The shorter opening hours on a Sunday are, I think, a good idea.

I believe it used to be illegal for shops to open on a Sunday - if they did they would get fined. The law changed because bigger shops would make more in profits than the fines, so it was worth it to open.

I also remember early closing on Wednesdays ... "

Some of shops on our high street still only open Weds am!

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I am of an age when shops opened 9 to 5 and closed for lunch, Also closed for half day one day a week.

No supermarkets in those days but nevertheless there was a good selection stores to choose from.

The only reason we had a car was because Grandad owned a Morris Cars dealership.

The largest employer in the district was the steelworks and they worked a 3 shift system but somehow we all coped,

For me it has been an interesting 80yr journey, my biggest disappointment has been the demise of local Butchers, Bakers, Fishmongers. Greengrocers and the like.

But as people keep telling me it is all in the name of progress."

Both me and my partner work in healthcare and if those were the shop opening hours now, many weeks we'd be living off whatever we could get from the newsagents as it would be our only chance to get any food .

By *lipy123TV/TS
over a year ago

Birmingham

I remember when i was a youngster Sunday was dead quiet, Specially after 2 when the pubs shut the streets were deserted.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"I am of an age when shops opened 9 to 5 and closed for lunch, Also closed for half day one day a week.

But as people keep telling me it is all in the name of progress."

The bit about the three shift system and it still worked. It worked because married women, in general, didn't work. The women could go shopping on weekdays when their husbands were at work and unmarried people lived with their parents, so their mothers did the shopping.

NHS workers in the 50s - nurses were unmarried and often lived in accommodation at the hospital, which included meals. Doctors were overwhelmingly male - see above for married men and unmarried people.

I'm completely unwilling to go back to that sort of system whereby women were reliant on their parents or a spouse, therefore shopping habits and opening times had to change.

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I think that the half and half is more frustrating. Either close completely or open as normal.

In 2012 when shops opened until 6 on Sundays, we didn’t all burst into flames.

I’ve worked in the hospitality sector for over 20 years and Sunday is just another working day. I’ve lived in multicultural areas where they work through their sabbath days and religious festivals.

To my mind, it’s those that dislike change but have nothing more invested than “I don’t like it” or a vague religious argument that are the loudest detractors from it.

On the other side, people won’t die from not having shops open for a day, however if bars and restaurants closed as well, would everyone be so open to that concept?

It’s funny how people always forget hospitality and essential services when discussing closing things down or ‘days off’

over a year ago

Both me and my partner work in healthcare and if those were the shop opening hours now, many weeks we'd be living off whatever we could get from the newsagents as it would be our only chance to get any food . "

this is what people forget about , we stopped living in a world of husband works mon -fri 9-5 while wife has the full week to organise the household a very long time ago , restricting only shops to not open on a sunday doesn’t give people back their family time , there are still loads of other jobs with shift patterns and weekend working, plenty of families that need to spread their working across 7 days to split their childcare requirements and all its done is make life that but harder for them

over a year ago

"I think that the half and half is more frustrating. Either close completely or open as normal.

I’ve worked in the hospitality sector for over 20 years and Sunday is just another working day. I’ve lived in multicultural areas where they work through their sabbath days and religious festivals.

To my mind, it’s those that dislike change but have nothing more invested than “I don’t like it” or a vague religious argument that are the loudest detractors from it.

On the other side, people won’t die from not having shops open for a day, however if bars and restaurants closed as well, would everyone be so open to that concept?

It’s funny how people always forget hospitality and essential services when discussing closing things down or ‘days off’ "

its really often mon-fri workers shouting the loudest too on behalf of these poor sunday workers behalf , not considering that many of them are not only happy to work they want to

when i was a student, sundays let me pick up more hours and have more money, when i worked full time shifts i loved the flexibility of moving around my days off to suit me rather than have them dictated to me , when i was a kid and my mum was a single parent she was able to pick up sunday shifts when we visited our dad without having to pay for childcare

people only want to see the negatives (which as far as i am aware is not being able to sit and have a roast together ) without considering all the positives the flexibility brings

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I think that the half and half is more frustrating. Either close completely or open as normal.

It’s funny how people always forget hospitality and essential services when discussing closing things down or ‘days off’ "

I might not die but I'd be bloody hungry if I couldn't get to a supermarket for a couple of weeks . There's only so much I can bring back from the work canteen .

By *ea monkeyMan
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

It’s funny how people always forget hospitality and essential services when discussing closing things down or ‘days off’

its really often mon-fri workers shouting the loudest too on behalf of these poor sunday workers behalf , not considering that many of them are not only happy to work they want to

when i was a student, sundays let me pick up more hours and have more money, when i worked full time shifts i loved the flexibility of moving around my days off to suit me rather than have them dictated to me , when i was a kid and my mum was a single parent she was able to pick up sunday shifts when we visited our dad without having to pay for childcare

people only want to see the negatives (which as far as i am aware is not being able to sit and have a roast together ) without considering all the positives the flexibility brings "

Exactly!

It’s people who’s only resistance to change is the prospect of change itself and nostalgia for “how it used to be”.

We also had sl*very, racism, homosexuality as a crime and hundreds of other things that ‘used to be’.

I’d rather have the option to function as any other day, on a Sunday

over a year ago

Only 1 shop open here on a Sunday... it’s quite nice to have a ‘nothing day’

over a year ago

No.

But them I'm sure the staff feel differently about it

By *mmmMaybeCouple
over a year ago

West Wales

I think if you go back to them being shut on Sundays then you need to go back to when they were either shut or half day Wednesdays & everyone popped off early on a Friday.

Only seems fair to me, but then I think petrol stations should sell petrol & fuck all else apart from journey supplies too

S

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Both me and my partner work in healthcare and if those were the shop opening hours now, many weeks we'd be living off whatever we could get from the newsagents as it would be our only chance to get any food .

this is what people forget about , we stopped living in a world of husband works mon -fri 9-5 while wife has the full week to organise the household a very long time ago , restricting only shops to not open on a sunday doesn’t give people back their family time , there are still loads of other jobs with shift patterns and weekend working, plenty of families that need to spread their working across 7 days to split their childcare requirements and all its done is make life that but harder for them "

The situation regarding men working 9 - 5 whilst the women stayed home varied from area to area,

The town in which the steelworks was located attracted a large number of companies using predominately female workers, when the steelworks closed there was no male orientated jobs for the 20000 men who lost their jobs.

The other major industry in the area was the manufacturer of boots and shoes and in which a large number of females worked.

Schools seemed to be in a concentrated area and it seemed safer then to let young kids make their own way to school at an early age, can't remember any of my schoolmates being brought to school in a car.

It was inevitable that as the population increased and people became more mobile the shopping habits would change, I am not against that.

It will be interesting to see how the supermarkets adapt to both bricks and mortar and online shopping once the Covid situation is brought under control and people have more freedom of movement,

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Personally, I think it's wrong to impose rules due to religion. I think that all shops should be allowed to open 24/7 if they choose.

Cal

over a year ago

I work 24/7.

No one or any law will stop me earning.

Or the boss will ask questions

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. In the modern world the only purpose seems consumerism.

I was thinking about personal data and all the huge companies that hoover up our information but why do they do it? To sell our information to people that want us to consume more things.

Human beings seem to have been turned into consumers, and the purpose of life is to consume. And I think that’s rather sad.

If you think of my grandparents generation, how much did they actually buy on a monthly basis, beyond life essentials. Luxury purchases were restricted to once or twice a year. Birthdays and Christmas were important because you may receive something you actually need or want.

Closing shops on a Sunday. It just harms the high street and plays into the hands of international multi billion dollar companies, the internet doesn’t close on a Sunday.

For me the fundamental issue is around just how much we are being sold too, just how much we are being led into consuming, rather than on what day we are doing it.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

Why should there be legislation to stop me from visiting shops one of my only two days free each week? If you want to shut them, make it in the middle of the week when at least it can affect the fewest number of people. I'd say let businesses decide on when they want to open.

It may be nice for there to be a quiet day, but I don't see it as practical.

over a year ago

"I have been thinking about this a lot lately. In the modern world the only purpose seems consumerism.

I was thinking about personal data and all the huge companies that hoover up our information but why do they do it? To sell our information to people that want us to consume more things.

Human beings seem to have been turned into consumers, and the purpose of life is to consume. And I think that’s rather sad.

If you think of my grandparents generation, how much did they actually buy on a monthly basis, beyond life essentials. Luxury purchases were restricted to once or twice a year. Birthdays and Christmas were important because you may receive something you actually need or want.

Closing shops on a Sunday. It just harms the high street and plays into the hands of international multi billion dollar companies, the internet doesn’t close on a Sunday.

For me the fundamental issue is around just how much we are being sold too, just how much we are being led into consuming, rather than on what day we are doing it. "

i think this is a cop out tbh , for a start your grandparents generation is being romanticised when actually they had outside toilets and incredibly poor hygiene, did their washing by hand in a steamy, people had to have lots of kids as they were not all expected to survive, quality of life unless you were wealthy really was pretty awful

secondly nobody has had a g*n put to their head and consumerism forced upon them - saying we have been turned into consumers suggests there is some higher force at play and entirely removes self responsibility for the choices we make - “the man/machine did it to us” . your theory entirely removes the reality that we have free will

if you want to live like your grandparents you can- get an allotment and grow your own veg, source your meat and fish from local butcher and fishmonger, only buy yourself and your kids luxuries at birthdays and christmas and express the same wishes onto close friends and family so they don’t go overboard either , start using your local bank branch and post office and they wont have the same desire to close them. if you want a different purpose in life you can have a different purpose in life

it really isn’t about how much we are being sold to, its about how much we want to buy - we haven’t had consumerism forced on us, we were offered convenience and instant gratification and we chose it willingly

over a year ago

No.

I like to shop on a Sunday.

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"I have been thinking about this a lot lately. In the modern world the only purpose seems consumerism.

For me the fundamental issue is around just how much we are being sold too, just how much we are being led into consuming, rather than on what day we are doing it.

i think this is a cop out tbh , for a start your grandparents generation is being romanticised when actually they had outside toilets and incredibly poor hygiene, did their washing by hand in a steamy, people had to have lots of kids as they were not all expected to survive, quality of life unless you were wealthy really was pretty awful

secondly nobody has had a g*n put to their head and consumerism forced upon them - saying we have been turned into consumers suggests there is some higher force at play and entirely removes self responsibility for the choices we make - “the man/machine did it to us” . your theory entirely removes the reality that we have free will

if you want to live like your grandparents you can- get an allotment and grow your own veg, source your meat and fish from local butcher and fishmonger, only buy yourself and your kids luxuries at birthdays and christmas and express the same wishes onto close friends and family so they don’t go overboard either , start using your local bank branch and post office and they wont have the same desire to close them. if you want a different purpose in life you can have a different purpose in life

it really isn’t about how much we are being sold to, its about how much we want to buy - we haven’t had consumerism forced on us, we were offered convenience and instant gratification and we chose it willingly "

I don’t think I blamed others for the consumerism other than to say “human beings have been turned into consumers”. I completely agree that as individuals we have to “own” that, it is an individuals choice to buy or not and we have led ourselves down this path.

No I was more reflecting on how invasive and pervasive advertising (and therefore the “push” to consume) has become, this I find sad. Everything is sponsored now (from individuals to television programmes and everything in between).

The importance of our “data” to marketing companies has led me to leave most forms of social media behind, what was a lovely idea (stay in touch, share experiences) has become tainted in my eyes.

As you say consumerism hasn’t been forced upon us and in this I partially agree however the way that marketing is targeted and it’s pervasive nature (coupled with its false promise of a “better”, life/social status etc.) makes it difficult to avoid.

over a year ago

it really isn’t about how much we are being sold to, its about how much we want to buy - we haven’t had consumerism forced on us, we were offered convenience and instant gratification and we chose it willingly

I don’t think I blamed others for the consumerism other than to say “human beings have been turned into consumers”. I completely agree that as individuals we have to “own” that, it is an individuals choice to buy or not and we have led ourselves down this path.

No I was more reflecting on how invasive and pervasive advertising (and therefore the “push” to consume) has become, this I find sad. Everything is sponsored now (from individuals to television programmes and everything in between).

The importance of our “data” to marketing companies has led me to leave most forms of social media behind, what was a lovely idea (stay in touch, share experiences) has become tainted in my eyes.

As you say consumerism hasn’t been forced upon us and in this I partially agree however the way that marketing is targeted and it’s pervasive nature (coupled with its false promise of a “better”, life/social status etc.) makes it difficult to avoid. "

3 very good posts.

I do resent being a consumer. I am basically a credit card.

My government wants as much of my money as they can get from me in taxes and dutys.

Corporations want as much of my money and they will offer me a multitude of options to entice my money out of my bank account. Thinks I don't need but want.

TV subscriptions, faster Internet, better games blah blah blah

I hate them all.

And without them I am lost. My laptop charger broke last night. I feel like a lovesick teenager.

"Grow your own veggies" ... I do. And I spent hundreds of euro to grow basically 30 euro worth of spuds.

But

I'm the reason why I spend money on shite. They offer and I give in to temptation.

Sunday is just another day. If you don't want to shop on it, don't. But what about the people who work Monday to Saturday (like I do) maybe they should have the right to shop too

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Llanelli

Sunday is my only day off so definitely no

By *rispyDuckMan
over a year ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

From a business point of view, you would be losing money. And with online shopping now big, most businesses would be run out of business

over a year ago

i would say in the last year i have been less aware of advertising than i have ever been in my life ,

i’m working from home so not seeing bill boards and i think the busses here stopped having ads when the cinemas closed, i’m off social media because during a pandemic it just didn’t feel healthy for me. i don’t watch tv, opting instead for streaming services where you get trailers for their shows rather than ads , if i browse the internet its on my phone usually news pages where they do have so many ads but its had the opposite effect from its design i feel because you train yourself to scroll for text and ignore all the junk because in the middle of your article when there is more ad than text its just annoying

don’t get me wrong, i buy plenty of stuff still , and in terms of convenience my track record with the likes of just eat/ deliveroo is abominable , but i genuinely don’t think its driven by ads - apart from tik tok leggings, i couldn’t actually tell you the last product i saw an ad for

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"i would say in the last year i have been less aware of advertising than i have ever been in my life ,

i’m working from home so not seeing bill boards and i think the busses here stopped having ads when the cinemas closed, i’m off social media because during a pandemic it just didn’t feel healthy for me. i don’t watch tv, opting instead for streaming services where you get trailers for their shows rather than ads , if i browse the internet its on my phone usually news pages where they do have so many ads but its had the opposite effect from its design i feel because you train yourself to scroll for text and ignore all the junk because in the middle of your article when there is more ad than text its just annoying

don’t get me wrong, i buy plenty of stuff still , and in terms of convenience my track record with the likes of just eat/ deliveroo is abominable , but i genuinely don’t think its driven by ads - apart from tik tok leggings, i couldn’t actually tell you the last product i saw an ad for "

In this I agree I haven’t switched my television on in years, music has replaced that in my life. As I live in a very rural location seeing advertising locally is not something that happens.

Working from home, I have less need for a new suit or shirt, less need to pop in a petrol station.

Perhaps that will be one of the profound things to come out of this turbulent time. A greater focus on a simple way of life, less need or desire to have everything we see.

One can hope (or at least I do). I lead a simple life, my greatest extravagance being wine and good quality food. Everything else is slowly diminishing in importance.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I think if you go back to them being shut on Sundays then you need to go back to when they were either shut or half day Wednesdays & everyone popped off early on a Friday.

Only seems fair to me, but then I think petrol stations should sell petrol & fuck all else apart from journey supplies too

S"

Who goes for petrol ? They've got a lovely line in charcoal and phone adaptors.... get real !

Emergency flowers ffs..... emergency flowers....

Oh.....and an 11p.m. Pint of milk

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

this is what people forget about , we stopped living in a world of husband works mon -fri 9-5 while wife has the full week to organise the household a very long time ago , restricting only shops to not open on a sunday doesn’t give people back their family time , there are still loads of other jobs with shift patterns and weekend working, plenty of families that need to spread their working across 7 days to split their childcare requirements and all its done is make life that but harder for them

The situation regarding men working 9 - 5 whilst the women stayed home varied from area to area,

The town in which the steelworks was located attracted a large number of companies using predominately female workers, when the steelworks closed there was no male orientated jobs for the 20000 men who lost their jobs.

The other major industry in the area was the manufacturer of boots and shoes and in which a large number of females worked.

Schools seemed to be in a concentrated area and it seemed safer then to let young kids make their own way to school at an early age, can't remember any of my schoolmates being brought to school in a car.

It was inevitable that as the population increased and people became more mobile the shopping habits would change, I am not against that.

It will be interesting to see how the supermarkets adapt to both bricks and mortar and online shopping once the Covid situation is brought under control and people have more freedom of movement,"

Tarkus, 75 years ago .... no one had a bloody car. Unless they were rich or royal.

Schools were open 9 - 3.30 Not 7.30 - 6.00 like now with wrap around care.

We can't compare today with yesterday.

If we can ....... I'm 21 with pert tits.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

P.S We walked EVERYWHERE.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Right .........

Turn your t.v's OFF.

Someone just mentioned t.v. on another thread and I remember that there was NO such thing as T.V. during the day. NONE on Sundays ....... and a bloody EPILOGUE when it shut down early hours.

So if you lot are shutting the shops ....... get your tellys off too.!

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"Right .........

Turn your t.v's OFF.

Someone just mentioned t.v. on another thread and I remember that there was NO such thing as T.V. during the day. NONE on Sundays ....... and a bloody EPILOGUE when it shut down early hours.

So if you lot are shutting the shops ....... get your tellys off too.!"

I’m quite good at turning TVs off and women too, thinking about it. It’s a good job cats like me or I would be so very lonely....

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

They should be open what was right In the past is not always right for the present

over a year ago

I agree we all need at least one days down time. I'm not religious but it would be handy if you'd a jew a Christian and a Muslim working in yer shop lol.

over a year ago

Definitely time to recharge never understand why it changed other than corporate pressure

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

This is how it used to be back in late 80s but what about those who work all the time and might only get the weekend off and this might only be a Sunday so would have the opportunity to do shopping

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I agree we all need at least one days down time. I'm not religious but it would be handy if you'd a jew a Christian and a Muslim working in yer shop lol."

Like a Chrisanthjewmum ?

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

The time the shop is open and closed this is applied for as part of the licence if those prefer them closed on Sundays simple don't buy anything on Sunday or go even if it's a emergency

over a year ago

No, theres alot of people that rely on sunday working from a cashflow situation & also rely on a sunday for their shoping if they work the rest of the week.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

It will be interesting to see how the supermarkets adapt to both bricks and mortar and online shopping once the Covid situation is brought under control and people have more freedom of movement,

Tarkus, 75 years ago .... no one had a bloody car. Unless they were rich or royal.

If we can ....... I'm 21 with pert tits. "

My memories of 75 years ago is of scrounging bananas and sweets from the American servicemen who were billeted in the town

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

"P.S We walked EVERYWHERE. "

We must have been rich, I had a bike.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I do kind of agree.

I grew up in a village, we had one shop which closed at 5. If you didn't have what you wanted you would either trek to the small town 2 mile away or go without.

And if you didn't have it by 5pm on a Saturday you were stuffed until Monday.

I realise that peoples jobs and life demands are a bit more chaotic now. But yes, I do think lockdown has shown the value of stepping back"

I see yes, so you had to do the shopping early there, yes lockdown have shown that value as well.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

By *abs..Woman
over a year ago

Yes I do think shops should be closed on Sundays. Bring back the day of rest

By *ORDERMANMan
over a year ago

wrexham

If we can ....... I'm 21 with pert tits. "

Bloody lucky you finishing school at 3.30pm...

We finnished school at 4.00pm...though infants finnished 3.30pm

Some of us here in wales depending on whether the county you lived in was wet or dry the pubs closed on a sunday...

Sadly the modern age it's never going to be a 6 day week..

Though a compromise could be make half day Wednesday a full day closed

Our town market hall still is half day..

Bottom line is its personal choice...one doesnt have to shop on a sunday if they dont want to..

I know someone who doesnt switch the computer on a sunday and I actually respect that..

Re pubs I also recall mid afternoon closing and 11pm at night (generations in50s endured 9pm and 10pm closing)...statistics do show (especially scotland) the later hours closing have reduced alcohol related crime.

Personally i prefer the later continental hours....yet feel sorry for the younger generation missing out on the thrill of a lock in...

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

If we can ....... I'm 21 with pert tits.

Bloody lucky you finishing school at 3.30pm...

We finnished school at 4.00pm...though infants finnished 3.30pm

Some of us here in wales depending on whether the county you lived in was wet or dry the pubs closed on a sunday...

Sadly the modern age it's never going to be a 6 day week..

Though a compromise could be make half day Wednesday a full day closed

Our town market hall still is half day..

Bottom line is its personal choice...one doesnt have to shop on a sunday if they dont want to..

I know someone who doesnt switch the computer on a sunday and I actually respect that..

Re pubs I also recall mid afternoon closing and 11pm at night (generations in50s endured 9pm and 10pm closing)...statistics do show (especially scotland) the later hours closing have reduced alcohol related crime.

Personally i prefer the later continental hours....yet feel sorry for the younger generation missing out on the thrill of a lock in..."

Regarding Sunday pub closing times in the 1950s and 1960s, Leicestershire was 9pm and Northamptonshire was 10pm, it took 5 mins from leaving the pub in Leics to get to the nearest one in Northants for the extra hours drinking. Happy days

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I’m split - it probably does make sense to have a quiet day, but it’s annoying when the supermarkets are shut when you need something last minute."
Yes it can be that too, that is why I try to do all the shopping on the saturday as well

over a year ago

What about people who work monday thru to saturday ?

over a year ago

"There’s nothing to stop anyone deciding not to shop on any particular day of the week.

This doesn’t need legislation. "

By *in-CityMan
over a year ago

Doncaster

Every Sunday should be a fuck fest

over a year ago

""

This . And I'll add: good debate everyone

over a year ago

Yes.

Sunday closing should be the law.

It used to be the law.

Sunday trading is an absolute tradition of the UK.

What I would like is to reserve my right to be unable to buy a motor car on Sunday

Whilst being able to pay £13,765 for a bag of chips with a free Nissan Micra.

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

No but they should scrap Sunday hours. It's not fair really on people who work during the weekdays and Saturdays.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

No they shouldn’t be closed. People work 7 day weeks now. I think they should be open.

over a year ago

Trouble is shops need the footfall due to the pandemic

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Remove the regulations and let the market determine what works.

Personally it’s a PITA shops closing at 4pm on a Sunday because I’m usually not organised for the week.

But I do sympathise for those who have to work. I’ve worked some stupid hours in my time.

By *tevie1Man
over a year ago

Middlesbrough

Yes you can only do so much shopping

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"I can see the attraction especially as someone who used to work in retail, going to work on a Sunday when you just want to chill with family etc is not fun. Modern day life doesn't fit this though, it's not a practical change to make when it can be the only day some people can get to the shops. A lot more people work Saturday as a normal day now or do a 6 day week.

It's idyllic but not practical. "

Quite like Sundays in retail, it's a shorter opening day.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

No.

By *xfordshireCoupleMFCouple
over a year ago

Nr. Oxford

I quite often work Monday - Saturday.

So if shops were shut on Sundays it would be a bit of a pain.

I don’t see the fascination with weekends and how they are different to any other day?

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

"Problem is shops browbeat and pressure staff into working on a Sunday, if you haven't got it before Sunday then you probably don't really need it. But I do see your point. "

When I worked in a shop, we had dedicated weekend staff (that was me except during holidays from college when I switched to full time as well).

Not may shops in the town opened Sunday, but we did. I loved it, as it was a short day, I got paid more, it was quiet and quite frankly I had fuck all else to do as everywhere else was shut.

Not all shops force staff to work Sundays, and if they do fuck them off and go elsewhere as they probably treat you like shit the rest of the week too.

Not everyone minds working Sundays.

over a year ago

"I quite often work Monday - Saturday.

So if shops were shut on Sundays it would be a bit of a pain.

I don’t see the fascination with weekends and how they are different to any other day?"

i think most folk that already partially work a weekend feel this way - its just another day

meanwhile its mon-fri 9-5 workers that see a sunday as somehow sacred - maybe they are worried they might need to start working them too

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

As you can guess from my last comment, I disagree.

If you don't want to shop and have the opportunity to get all your stuff on other days, then great, keep doing that.

Not everyone has those opportunities.

The shops can only afford to be open Sundays because people use them. This in itself proves there is a demand for them.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

Yes, it must of felt differently on those days as it would be more quite on that day

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Way back in the 80s you'd knock on the neighbor if you needed something that you needed that doesn't happen now unless you're an addict and they are a seller

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

"It will be interesting to see how the supermarkets adapt to both bricks and mortar and online shopping once the Covid situation is brought under control and people have more freedom of movement,"

It will be interesting indeed.

In the last 14 months, we've not used a single physical shop at all.

Everything has been ordered online.

It's made us question our fundamental relationship with physical shops, and I suspect a large proportion of others are also of the same ilk.

I know some bricks and mortar retailing are trying to realign and present a "customer experience", but that hold little interest for us.

The "experience" of having to invest time, petrol, parking fees, negotiating crowds, time restraints and general hassle is enough for us.

A laser and light show in the foyer of the intended shop not going to offset the experience of the latter. If anything, it will feel contrived, desperate and gauche.

I can't see us returning to physical stores anytime soon, and whilst Amazon may not always have everything you want, (such as a 1950's vintage box used in a famous museum!) you can scour the web for independent e-tailers and find almost anything if you look hard enough.

IMHO, the age of the "High Street" is dead.

It will transition to a social place, for getting your hair cut, having a coffee with friends, or going to the nightclub in the evening. All things change.

By *tella HeelsTV/TS
over a year ago

west here ford shire

Yes I think that’s something we should bring back

Including supermarkets

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Let’s mess with the economy and peoples earnings so you can enjoy some peace and quiet

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 02/05/21 22:24:17]

over a year ago

"No.

If you argue religion the Christians will want Sunday, Jews Saturday & Muslims Friday ?"

Erm.... there's 24 hours in a day - you only work 10 hours

over a year ago

What if its the only day you have your kids and you want to buy things for them?

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

Can we make it really tranquil and close everything. On Sundays

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"Everywhere should be open 24hrs a day....not everyone works 9-5 Monday to Friday "

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

What if you work 6 days a week and it's the only chance they get.

Or as said above only time to spend with the kids and want to treat them.

Shift work...life everything has changed over the years. I remember when they were shut Wednesday afternoon.

There's obviously a need for Sunday shopping, the supermarkets are busy enough.

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

[Removed by poster at 02/05/21 22:34:40]

over a year ago

It’s 2021..

Course they should.

Should we drive cars or horse drawn carriages??

Life evolves

Post new Message to Thread